• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1472 (NieR 39/40)

raven777

Nier Automata review detail

-10 hours to finish the game first time, 30 hours to reach final ending
-Overall game quality and music is amazing
-Once you get used to R2 dodge, the game gets really fun
-Wish the loading time was shorter
-Yoko Taro's characteristic is present in the game so fans should be very happy
-The difficulty adjustment is very good so anyone can progress in the game
-Customization of auto parts to get the right difficulty balance for yourself is quite difficult

Synless

-Customization of auto parts to get the right difficulty balance for yourself is quite difficult

10 hours to finish? :(

The original I felt was quite a bit longer was it not...?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
10 hours to finish? :(

The original I felt was quite a bit longer was it not...?

Its going to be difficult to pin down a definitive time-scale given the game has (at least) 3 difficulty settings, plus obvious in-built difficulty variance due to how the RPG aspects are going to affect performance.

It appears to me that this game is going to be substantially bigger than the original, and have more replayability due to the action gameplay being so much better executed this time.

That being said, Saito has stated that on normal difficulty testers have done a 100% completion in 55hrs, so its a mid-sized game by rpg standards at best.

True Fire

Tbh it took me 38 hours to Platinum FFXV, and I imagine Automata will take much longer. A 10 hour campaign doesn't bother me.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

Would it be the old age RPG that you have to collect 1000 feathers in Chapter 1 so you could have another ending?

Hektor

Would it be the old age RPG that you have to collect 1000 feathers in Chapter 1 so you could have another ending?

You will have to collect all weapons to reach the last ending

In Drakengard it was literally impossible without a guide, in Nier it was really harmless an in Drakengard 3 it required you to spend a few hours grinding sidequests to do so

Setsu00

Review is probably paid for, yeah? I'm more interested in disinterested 3rd party impressions.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but so far every preview I've read was at least cautiously optimistic and most complaints were directed at the game's underwhelming visuals. Some where also not sure if the gameplay would be fun for 20 hours and more, but other than that everyone praised the gameplay improvements, the story that supposedly turns surreal just a few hours in and the synergy between Platinum and Yoko Taro.

I dont care if this game gets a bunch of 2s I think I'm going to really like it. Particularly if they leave in that easy mode from the demo. My 4 year old daughter was having a blast with it. She would love to be able to play something like that the whole way through.

Honestly though I think it's going to get a lot of high scores. We'll see.

Setsu00

I dont care if this game gets a bunch of 2s I think I'm going to really like it. Particularly if they leave in that easy mode from the demo. My 4 year old daughter was having a blast with it. She would love to be able to play something like that the whole way through.

Nier Automata doesn't seem like the most child-friendly game to me, to be honest.

Hektor

A 4 year old playing a Yoko Taro game? Trauma for life incoming lol

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
You will have to collect all weapons to reach the last ending

In Drakengard it was literally impossible without a guide, in Nier it was really harmless an in Drakengard 3 it required you to spend a few hours grinding sidequests to do so

So it doesn't add hidden chapter, just like replay to get Plantium Cup?
And it's an open world game, 10 hours is 5 hours campaign in linear game.
I thought it might hurt reviews in western.

kennyamr

woot woot

I agree that this sometimes doesn't mean masterpiece-ness but still a great score is a great score so it's still fuel to the hype.

I can't wait.

It seems that they didn't play a lot of side quests. Good score, but I don't trust famitsu but I trust the developers.

Setsu00

Yeah I know nothing about Nier other than the demo. It was some cute girl kicking robot ass. If it gets worse than that I guess she wont be playing.

Here are some fun events that happened in the Drakengard/Nier universe so far:
- A man survived the annihilation of his village because he was busy molesting a boy in the woods. He later befriends the youngest party member.
- A woman with an appetite (in the most literal sense of the word) for babies was eaten by an army of giantic babies.
- A girl married the love of her life and got brutally killed by wolves on the day of her marriage.
- A girl was sold to a brothel by her mother.
- A boy prostituted himself to an older man to make sure he and his little sister had something to eat. Said boy then killed that man. He also happens to be the protagonist of Nier Replicant.

This game probably won't be much different.

raven777

Imagine being a dev and your game gets a sub 30 review from them. Gotta go commit Famitsu at that point, fampai.

demons_souls_1.jpg

this is picture of Miyazaki after committing famitsu. :p

why are people saying the game is short? it still going to be 30 - 40 hours to get everything true ending wise in the story just like the original nier.

i can see platinum fans complaining about that aspect since its still a JRPG at the end of the day

10 hours seems VERY short, though.

Didn't play Nier though, so i don't know if it's like a troll ending or something like that.

nier has four endings with two of them playing through the game on one save and the other two unlocked in very specific circumstances.

I don't expect this game to be different so the length to get the true ending will be much different

mrmickfran

Famitsu sure loves Platinum

Bayonetta the GOAT got a 40

Metal Gear Rising, The Wonderful 101 and Nier got a 39.

Bayonetta 2 got a 38

And Vanquish a 37

Setsu00

10 hours seems VERY short, though.

Didn't play Nier though, so i don't know if it's like a troll ending or something like that.

I recently checked one of my saves from the first Nier and it took me about 15 hours to get the first ending, but I remember trying to do as many sidequests as possible and there was also a significant amount of grinding involved because I for some absurd reason I like to torture myself. In any case you should be able to reach the first ending of Nier within 10 hours as well.

thelastword

Banned
Imagine being a dev and your game gets a sub 30 review from them. Gotta go commit Famitsu at that point, fampai.
Maybe it's a really good game to them, is that not in the realm of possibilities. So many shit on Famitsu's credibility, but at the end of the day, every review is just an opinion. A 39 or 40 from Famitsu was not easily doled out before, these guys were very strict, so who knows, maybe people complained about that...Even then, I'm sure they have given low scores to games people felt should be 40....Even IGN who people mock have given lower scores to media darlings before...At the end of the day politics or not, it's just an opinion of the game, the reviewer may think it's great or not or in between or just less than great....it's up to him/her really..

In 2017, I used to think that people would just play the games they know they like irrespective of reviews...Look at the first Nier, it's not a 90% plus rated game, it's not even a 70% rated game, but many people loved it and kept beating the drum of it's excellence on forums years after it's release...It's probably the reason we have the sequel and reviewers are now looking at it differently....Reviews are not be all end all, best advice is to try the game and see if you like it, (especially in the genre you love) because many review sites are copycats, if some sites pan the game, others are willing to follow that trend.....you will most times find...

LotusHD

Banned
It's not the end-be-all, but they do matter. Can't blame someone for not wanting to waste their time a game that reviewed poorly. Too much shit to play nowadays, and not enough time/money exists for a lot of people out there.

Top Bottom