• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Not having a firm release date is not self sabotaging. That language in itself is reaching

Self sabotaging is never talking about a release of your own game for 6 months all the way up to a potential release date, refusing to answer any questions from fans about the release, and removing any mention of it from trailers and your own website.

If Square Enix haven't got a marketing deal with Sony, then what they are doing is absolutely self sabotaging the sales of the PC version.

MUnited83

For you.
Haven't they themselves said they're trying to find a way to address piracy ?
This song and dance started wayyyyyyy before that interview and the situation of RE7 mentioned by the Devs. Furthermore, the game will likely release on the leaked date, proving that wrong.
Not having a firm release date is not self sabotaging. That language in itself is reaching
You think this is just about the lack of a firm release date? How the fuck do you explain to misterious disappearance of all mentions of Steam in the marketing material? Even in the game website? How will you explain this when the game releases on the leaked date?
So if Sony is moneyhatting Nier why did they bother to re-upload that trailer?
They removed the PS4+Steam one and replaced it with the PS4 Only one. It's pretty obvious that the PS4+Steam is only supposed to be revealed later when their marketing deal allows for it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This thread is almost as defensive as that ni no kuni 2 announcement thread where someone mentioned that it said console debut, that was a fun thread to go back and look at after the pc release was announced.

But we'll see come the 10th.

You think this is just about the lack of a firm release date? How the fuck do you explain to misterious disappearance of all mentions of Steam in the marketing material? Even in the game website? How will you explain this when the game releases on the leaked date?
lmao i don't need to explain anything. be more aggressive about this please

I'm not saying that this is *good*, but calling it self sabotaging is still a huge reach. there is nothing to indicate that square would actively want their product to fail. it's terrible communication at worst, that could stem from a variety of different reasons. the most logical being that there might be something wrong with the PC port and it needs extra work. immediately jumping to some self sabotage conspiracy theory is just looking for controversy

gngf123

?

They deleted the multiplatform trailer (which was uploaded by mistake) and replaced it with a Sony one. They never re-uploaded the multiplat trailer.

If Sony have a marketing deal with Square Enix, this is evidence of it, not against it.

I don't follow, isn't that them communicating about that version of the game ? I'd imagine they'd follow up on it when they have more to add.

Wouldn't the other way around be more damning ?

Actively removing mention from marketing material isn't communication.

1. I'm not saying they're moneyhatting.
2. It's the other way around. The multiplatform trailer, which was made AFTER, got deleted and replaced with the Sony only trailer, which wa made before.

pezzie

It's pretty obvious by now that there's some marketing stuff going on from Sony. The removal of the version that mentioned the Steam release date and replacement of the one without makes it glaring.

I understand it's frustrating for people looking forward to the Steam version. I still think it might have been in SE's best interest to never have announced the Steam version at all rather than this mixed message nonsense, and then just released it or announced it after the marketing deal was up.

I don't follow, isn't that them communicating about that version of the game ? I'd imagine they'd follow up on it when they have more to add.

Wouldn't the other way around be more damning ?

It's less communicating and more "a developer was asked live, on stream, about the PC port so they couldn't -not- talk something about it". Everywhere else, both SE and Platinum(giving SE as excuse) simply ignore anything about the PC port.

MUnited83

For you.

I'm not saying that this is *good*, but calling it self sabotaging is still a huge reach. there is nothing to indicate that square would actively want their product to fail. it's terrible communication at worst, that could stem from a variety of different reasons. the most logical being that there might be something wrong with the PC port and it needs extra work. immediately jumping to some self sabotage conspiracy theory is just looking for controversy
If there is anything wrong with it, then it won't be released on the leaked date. Once again, will you admit that you are wrong when it releases exactly on that date?
You guys keep on ignoring that this bullshit has been going on for several months already.

patapuf

Nah, if a port needs extra work a publishers doesn't purge any mention of the platform from all marketing materials and refuses to answer any questions about it. The publisher says the port is delayed.

I doesn't have to be a Sony marketing deal, but if it isn't, it's definetly self sabotage since they've been actively hiding their steam release. To the point of "correcting" trailers and materials where it's mentioned. That's really wierd if you want to sell copies on that platform. It's even wierder if the leaked date is true.

MUnited83

For you.
No, because I'm not saying that it won't be released on the leaked date? Where are you even getting that from
So there is something wrong with the PC version, a problem so bad that they can't even mention that version at all in marketing or even on their site....

Yet it will still release in the mentioned date, day and date with the PS4 , without issues?
.Can you explain to me how much sense does that make?

Nah, if a port needs extra work a publishers doens't purge any mention of the platform from all marketing materials and refuses to answer any questions about it. The publisher says the port is delayed.

Yup. Dark Souls 2 got a delay on PC of about 6 weeks, that delay was only announced a few days before console release, but even then FROM Software didn't ignore questions about the PC version, or removed the PC/Steam logo from trailers.

black070

Actively removing mention from marketing material isn't communication.
It's less communicating and more "a developer was asked live, on stream, about the PC port so they couldn't -not- talk something about it". Everywhere else, both SE and Platinum(giving SE as excuse) simply ignore anything about the PC port.

I don't know then, it's been a weird chain of events - to the point that even a marketing deal present doesn't explain everything away. I can't think of a scenario where a title releasing day and date on multiple platforms has had that fact completely omitted outside of just marketing material.

Nah, if a port needs extra work a publishers doens't purge any mention of the platform from all marketing materials and refuses to answer any questions about it. The publisher says the port is delayed.

I doesn't have to be a Sony marketing deal, but if it isn't, it's definetly self sabotage since they've been actively hiding their steam release. To the point of "correcting" trailers and materials where it's mentioned.
If this whole situation proves anything it's that there isn't a strict thing a publisher does or doesn't do

If Square wanted to sabotage the game, they'd sink the whole thing, not just one version of it. Sony has never tried to bury a PC port before, so it seems like a huge leap to do so now

It's poor communication on the part of Square, but sabotaging implies malicious intent, and there's no real reason to think Square would want to hurt themselves

So there is something wrong with the PC version, a problem so bad that they can't even mention that version at all in marketing or even on their site....

Yet it will still release in the mentioned date, day and date with the PS4 , without issues?
.Can you explain to me how much sense does that make?
You're knowingly conflating what I've said

I'm not saying it won't release on the leaked date, but I'm also not saying it will

And I've said that it is more likely that there is something wrong with the port than some grand conspiracy theory that works against Sqaures own interests

It's very cut and dry and you're purposefully trying to muddle what I've said to push your own weird narrative

MUnited83

For you.
Not marketing a game release addresses piracy?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Genius.
To be fair, you can't pirate if you don't know it exists. Touche , Square Enix😵
You're knowingly conflating what I've said

I'm not saying it won't release on the leaked date, but I'm also not saying it will

And I've said that it is more likely that there is something wrong with the port than some grand conspiracy theory that works against Sqaures own interests

It's very cut and dry and you're purposefully trying to muddle what I've said to push your own weird narrative
You still have not made one single good argument on why Square Enix would do this without a deal behind it. Even if the port was bad and delayed doing this makes no sense at all. Unless, of course, there is a marketing deal behind it.
Do you want to explain why they have a video ready to go, that was rendered after the Ps4 one if they really don't know when it releases? Why have they kept it off marketing for several months? Why the trailer was made and rendered in February?

sense

I just don't think any company would sign such a deal where they can't talk about an already announced version releasing simultaneously until the very last day to release. Any other example where this happened? There has to be more to it.

Like I said before I am open to it probably being a Sony deal, I am just not convinced it is. Soon we will know if such deals exist where companies retroactively begin hiding already announced versions until release date and promote just one version even though both are releasing simultaneously.

Ascheroth

I just don't think any company would sign such a deal where they can't talk about an already announced version releasing simultaneously until the very last day to release. Any other example where this happened? There has to be more to it.

Like I said before I am open to it probably being a Sony deal, I am just not convinced it is. Soon we will know if such deals exist where companies retroactively begin hiding already announced versions until release date and promote just one version even though both are releasing simultaneously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't followed it that closely, but wasn't the No Man's Sky situation similiar?
It was known to get a PC version but didn't talk about it at all until just before it released a few days after the PS4 one.

To be fair, you can't pirate if you don't know it exists. Touche , Square Enix😵

"Sir, our reports show that piracy costs us hundreds of millions of dollars!"
"Cancel the PC port. If there's no game to pirate, we won't lose money."
"That's why you're our boss!"

Sajko

I don't know man. Last time they were asked about PC port his reply was "We're working hard on it, but if I said anything, ninjas from SE would try to kill me, so I've got nothing to announce."

Grief.exe

Yeah, people are quick to forget the uncertainty NMS had on a PC release before the marketing really kicked in for it.

Right after the PS4 launch

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Weird

Too niche of a title though for Sony to pay for the marketing budget.

No Man's Sky and Binding of Isaac's PC released absolutely were not buried.

No Man's Sky had a Steam page for like a year and you could preorder it well in advance. They're not comparable at all

No release date, zero marketing, no information.

It's like I can hear the gears turning, but nothing is moving.

Baron

giphy.gif

What in the world is this from?

Shari

Right after the PS4 launch

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Weird

Too niche of a title though for Sony to pay for the marketing budget.

It's dead already.

The thing is, the denial ride never ends so I want to know what's going to be the next set of arguments once the multi trailer comes back online.

mcmmaster

Going from Platinum's previous pc ports, what is the likelihood of Automata supporting resolutions beyond 1080p?

Tempted to buy the hk version on ps4 now if the pc support hasn't got a chance of supporting my 1440p setup.

Nabs

No Man's Sky and Binding of Isaac's PC released absolutely were not buried.

No Man's Sky had a Steam page for like a year and you could preorder it well in advance. They're not comparable at all

They were forced to go silent on the PC front at some point before launch.

Sean Murray before the launch: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4wsra2/i_quit_my_job_at_ea_where_i_worked_on_burnout/d69nvw1/

Whenever devs are tight-lipped, it's normally just because they literally, legally, can't talk about a thing. Man, you would surprised how wrapped up most devs are in contracts and nonesense. Often for instance lots of devs will have a clause that says "you literally can't say the name of platform X".

patapuf

If this whole situation proves anything it's that there isn't a strict thing a publisher does or doesn't do

If Square wanted to sabotage the game, they'd sink the whole thing, not just one version of it. Sony has never tried to bury a PC port before, so it seems like a huge leap to do so now

It's poor communication on the part of Square, but sabotaging implies malicious intent, and there's no real reason to think Square would want to hurt themselves

Square clearly currently wants to hide the PC version, they've done so multiple times now. That's not "poor communication" it's intentional.

Even if it isn't Sony, "porting issues" is not a likely explanation for that. Maybe they don't want their japanese customers to buy the steam version (something that happened with a few japanese games) or some other wierd reason but the radio silence is deliberate, not some accident.

They were forced to go silent on the PC front at some point before launch.

Sean Murray before the launch: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4wsra2/i_quit_my_job_at_ea_where_i_worked_on_burnout/d69nvw1/

Whenever devs are tight-lipped, it's normally just because they literally, legally, can't talk about a thing. Man, you would surprised how wrapped up most devs are in contracts and nonesense. Often for instance lots of devs will have a clause that says "you literally can't say the name of platform X".
It's still not comparable to this? I'm not saying Sony don't have a marketing deal, but they have never expunged references to another platform from all marketing materials before
Square clearly wants to hide the PC version, they've done so multiple times now. That's not "poor communication" it's intentional.

Even if it isn't Sony, "porting issues" is not a likely explanation for that. Maybe they don't want their japanese customers to buy the steam version (something that happened with a few japanese games) or some other wierd reason but the radio silence is clearly deliberate.
There is really no evidence at all for that. Porting issues would absolutely be a likely explanation for that. If there was issues with the port they wouldn't want to show an inferior version of their game

Ascheroth

Going from Platinum's previous pc ports, what is the likelihood of Automata supporting resolutions beyond 1080p?

Tempted to buy the hk version on ps4 now if the pc support hasn't got a chance of supporting my 1440p setup.
It's likely to support 4k, but not sure about 1440p.
Depends on whether or not they've changed the way they do UI scaling or explicitely included this resolution.
No way to know for sure until they say anything.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well Transformers supports higher resolutions so I don't imagine they'd regress in terms of supported resolutions considering it's still Platinum's in house engine.

Shari

The odds are meh at best. The good is that previous ports were running good (which much simpler graphics), the bad is that none of the had arbitrary resolution support, Transformers let you play 1080p or 2160p but nothing in between.

I also have a 1440p setup but with a 1080 powering it, so if I can't play native I hope I can push 4k.

On the fps front it doesn't look good, games are usually 60 fps locked, although with TMNT we were able to break that by tinkering with memory addresses if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: What is true though is that PC versions for their games have been improving with every release, baby steps.

MUnited83

For you.

Their last PC game ran up to 4k, but didn't support 1440p, oddly enough. Is likely that someone will make a workaround for it but I wouldn't count on it at launch.
Well Transformers supports higher resolutions so I don't imagine they'd regress in terms of supported resolutions considering it's still Platinum's in house engine.
Transformers actually doesn't support 1440p. Yeah... They are still a bit odd with their ports.

It's still not comparable to this? I'm not saying Sony don't have a marketing deal, but they have never expunged references to another platform from all marketing materials before

There is really no evidence at all for that. Porting issues would absolutely be a likely explanation for that. If there was issues with the port they wouldn't want to show an inferior version of their game

Sony moneyhatted Sean Murray to be on the PC gaming show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAA3piB4qU

MUnited83

For you.

What? Who says they would have to show a "inferior version of the game"? The leaked trailer has the exact same footage. If they put the steam logo in older trailers they would still have used the same footage they used in those trailers. Again, that doesn't make any sense.
Sony moneyhatted Sean Murray to be on the PC gaming show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAA3piB4qU
I do love how you and others continue to make dumb unrelated false equivalencies and passive-agressive posts.
You might want to check the date of the video you posted and the date the game released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom