• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa "nearly complete". 100 screens released

Inkwell

Banned
This thread got me all excited until I realized that being "nearly complete" probably means it's still going to be a while before the thing is actually released. I won't be surprised if it takes another 6+ months, but maybe we will be pleasantly surprised with a December or January release.

No, don't do that.

At this point, 'nearly complete' just means "we still aren't done and don't know when we will be". Exactly what they were before they said we're 'nearly complete'.

Mr_Elysia

My guess, or...hope really I suppose, is that one of Valve's three surprises in the next twelve months is that they'll be buying Black Mesa and paying the devs. They've shown they're not purely profit based and they won't have to spend much to get it anyways. There are enough Half-life fans out there that would snap this up in a second, with a ten or fifteen dollar pricetag, that they would easily recoup what they had to spend to buy it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr_Elysia said:
My guess, or...hope really I suppose, is that one of Valve's three surprises in the next twelve months is that they'll be buying Black Mesa and paying the devs. They've shown they're not purely profit based and they won't have to spend much to get it anyways. There are enough Half-life fans out there that would snap this up in a second, with a ten or fifteen dollar pricetag, that they would easily recoup what they had to spend to buy it.
I doubt they will. Valve is interested in original ideas. They have had 6 years to decide to purchase this, they would have done it by now if they were going to. My guess is that they will pimp it on the front page of Steam for a bit as free through Steam for all owners of any Source game. It can also use all elements of Steamworks too I believe.

Instro

Hopefully "nearly complete" means it will release in the next few months. Does look more dated to me now that Ive seen Portal 2, but w.e its still a massive improvement over what HL normally looks like.

Mr_Elysia

Stallion Free said:
I doubt they will. Valve is interested in original ideas. They have had 6 years to decide to purchase this, they would have done it by now if they were going to. My guess is that they will pimp it on the front page of Steam for a bit as free through Steam for all owners of any Source game. It can also use all elements of Steamworks too I believe.

I agree with this, but the only thing that makes me think it could go differently is Gabe's proclivity for surprising everyone. He loves to play his hand close to his chest. Maybe they haven't bought it yet because they want to see if they'll endure. Maybe they don't want to interfere and put pressure on. Maybe they didn't want to give the developers a cheque and a signature as an excuse to delay again. Or just maybe Gabe wants to roll up on them and say
"We love that you loved it this much. We want to sell it on steam, we want you guys to get three percent. It cost us nothing, and it's pure profit for both of us. What do you say?"
With his sort of awkward half-smirk that doesn't betray how happy he hopes these guys are.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Night_Trekker said:
Whaaaaaaaattttt?! Opposing Force isn't canon? Fuck that shit.
Neither is other than Black Mesa blowing up in Opposing Force. But I don't expect you to read this as you missed us correcting him already.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Am i the only one who looks at those screens and just wants to play HL1 with a ton of AA and high resolution?

Slavik81

Estimating this sort of project is hard. The game will be out when it's out and there's not much point in using their vague statements to extrapolate any kind of release date.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zanboo said:
Am i the only one who looks at those screens and just wants to play HL1 with a ton of AA and high resolution?
I've actually done that recently. It would have blown my mind seeing it so clearly back in the day.

I have no problem with this. It looks a hell of a lot better than the actual HL1 does still. :lol If they manage to actually release this, I sure as hell am going to play through it.

Stallion Free said:
No, Valve said the only recognized canon games are the ones made by them.

Y'know, I don't really care much at all about the story of Opposing Forces, but I really think Valve's dismissal of it from a gameplay perspective is misplaced. By increasing the enemy and weapon diversity, I really thought it made the process of going through Black Mesa again more interesting -- but HL2 and its episodes have actually gone backwards from HL1 in both categories, which to me is one of the biggest problems with the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
charlequin said:
Y'know, I don't really care much at all about the story of Opposing Forces, but I really think Valve's dismissal of it from a gameplay perspective is misplaced. By increasing the enemy and weapon diversity, I really thought it made the process of going through Black Mesa again more interesting -- but HL2 and its episodes have actually gone backwards from HL1 in both categories, which to me is one of the biggest problems with the game.
I love Opposing Force and I wish they would respect it more too. It was a perfect model of the expansion pack and a wonderful follow up to Half-Life 1. The new weapons and enemies were just as fun as the ones in the original and the sewer segment is OMG scary.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This cooked for way too long. I wish Valve had helped more. It looks dated already.

Stallion Free said:
I love Opposing Force and I wish they would respect it more too. It was a perfect model of the expansion pack and a wonderful follow up to Half-Life 1. The new weapons and enemies were just as fun as the ones in the original and the sewer segment is OMG scary.

omg yes! I loved that part. :lol

The worst part about this thread is it's making me think I should rebuy Opposing Forces on Steam....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
charlequin said:

The worst part about this thread is it's making me think I should rebuy Opposing Forces on Steam....
If you have a cd-key from your original disc copy there is a good chance it will work on Steam. Even better, it might just count it as part of a Game of the Year release they did which allowed all 4 cd-keys contained to unlock every Half-Life 1 based game on Steam.

Widescreen + fixed FOV + Gearbox's high-def texture pack (optional) + as much super-sampling as you can toss at it = a really great revisit. I had a blast last year replaying it.

And no matter how many times I have played through that part, it still makes me feel really tense.

Zenith

Banned
charlequin said:

You should buy Blacksite Area 51. It's like Opposing Force in spirit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zenith said:
You should buy Blacksite Area 51. It's like Opposing Force in spirit.
I actually did buy it for 2$ from a GoGamer sale and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's rough around the edges, but I'm a scifi whore and I enjoyed the action/settings/enemies. Not as good as Turok though.

Stallion Free said:
Widescreen + fixed FOV + Gearbox's high-def texture pack (optional) + as much super-sampling as you can toss at it = a really great revisit. I had a blast last year replaying it.

drool

I'll have to see if I can find my CDs. I found all my Blizz stuff and registered that on their site earlier this year, which was awesome. :lol But I think my Half-Life CDs are somewhere else...

Top Bottom