• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

I feel like this is one case where the user scratched it by other means and is using an easy target to blame, the dock.

I have yet to see any other cases of this, either with friends or other people online. If there are links, post them, but otherwise this sounds like hyperbole.

Not saying it can't happen, but saying this is a huge disaster and trying to paint ever negative as such is getting tired around here.
yeah I totally get being safe rather than sorry but this is a pretty big frenzy. I feel like it definitely would have happened to me. I can't overstate how many times I docked/undocked, half of it being rough as hell lol. So when I saw this I looked closely and was nervous but nope not a scratch.

Banditscout

Neo Member
Folks, I think I've found one of the contributing factors and why it seems hit and miss for some users to have no issues and others to have lots.

While it's subtle at a glance, the front plate actually bends inwards gently, making it tighter at the top then at the bottom, and since the slotted plastic tabs on either side run almost to the top, what you're getting is a pinch point where the screen has a higher chance of touching the screen, I measured with digital calipers and the depth of the dock at the bottom was 51.3mm, at the top it was 47.8, a difference of 3.5mm, meaning you have 1.75mm less space either side of the console at the top than you do at the bottom, and the severity of the bend will no doubt differ from unit to unit.

If it was perfectly straight you would have a slot that was 19mm wide from top to bottom, but at least for my dock, it isn't. I will not be surprised if many others (especially those that have scratches) find the front panel of theirs bows inwards too

Both of the docks I have used are identical to this! Going to try to get a replacement from Nintendo today.

nullpoynter

I don't understand why the dock has to be so big. As far as I know, there's no fan or anything special inside, so the dock could easily have been an slim elegant cradle that sits below the Switch (like the official PSVita cradle for example). The extra plastic covering the screen is excessive and ugly.
It's meant to protect the screen and to prevent someone from undocking at an incorrect angle and snapping off the USB type c connector. Without that plastic I could see kids undocking by pulling forward instead of up.

entremet

Do we know if 3rd party docks will be a thing?

I may just go that route. Hopefully, something from Hori, who are quality and beta test their hardware lol.

pswii60

I got my Switch today and this is no surprise at all. The dock is completely plastic, I thought there would be some soft material inside to protect the tablet when docking, but not at all. It feels cheap.

Zy8TFLQ.jpg

Aw jeez this again.

They should at least let you calibrate the screens or something.

Folks, I think I've found one of the contributing factors and why it seems hit and miss for some users to have no issues and others to have lots.

While it's subtle at a glance, the front plate actually bends inwards gently, making it tighter at the top then at the bottom, and since the slotted plastic tabs on either side run almost to the top, what you're getting is a pinch point where the screen has a higher chance of touching the screen, I measured with digital calipers and the depth of the dock at the bottom was 51.3mm, at the top it was 47.8, a difference of 3.5mm, meaning you have 1.75mm less space either side of the console at the top than you do at the bottom, and the severity of the bend will no doubt differ from unit to unit.

If it was perfectly straight you would have a slot that was 19mm wide from top to bottom, but at least for my dock, it isn't. I will not be surprised if many others (especially those that have scratches) find the front panel of theirs bows inwards too

Good find. If it's a dock issue for those with bent plates, then Nintendo could replace faulty ones. And hopefully this contributes to ending the narrative that it's 100 percent the user's fault or "fake news".

Futaba

I measured with digital calipers and the depth of the dock at the bottom was 51.3mm, at the top it was 47.8, a difference of 3.5mm, meaning you have 1.75mm less space either side of the console at the top than you do at the bottom, and the severity of the bend will no doubt differ from unit to unit.
More on this - I tried bending out the front panel of my dock a bit and it seems to have got a little better, there is now only about .9mm of different, but I then took some additional measurements...

e7Iygyy.jpg

14.17+3.34 = 17.51, 19-17.51=1.49mm, thus the console in a best case scenario, has 0.745mm either side, give or take .05mm - So at the very extreme, 0.7mm to 0.8mm either side, 1.4 - 1.6mm total.

With that amount of space, the front now bowing in a total of 0.9mm results in the top section of the dock having only 0.7mm of clearance total, prior to bending it outwards, the tabs were actually touching the console because measurements when the console was out of the dock appear to show that the dock shipped with a gap MINUS 2.1mm too small, thus it would rub the console every time you used the dock.

Stupid Question Time.

Are people missing the rubber bumpers on their docs? They're located on the backside of the face of the doc on both sides.

37251_zpshdl2gsbu.jpg

This rubber tab is at the very bottom of the slot, and only protects the very bottom of the console WHILE docked, the scratches are occurring during insertion and removal, where this rubber tab isn't even in contact with the console.

People seriously need to stop blaming the end user on this issue, it isn't, it's purely down to poor design.

Oh boy, this again. This is also why you don't want Nintendo making VR hardware.

You realize this is something that happens with tons of other devices or monitors as wel, right? Even high end gaming monitors that are over $1000 can have a lottery. Screens are suppplied from more than one source usually.

Yeah, ok. There's just no defense for this, and I'm usually giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, but between this and the dock scratchy thing.. I'm buying the system later this year if there's an improvement. I just can't risk ordering it from Argentina and getting a bad screen.
This is completely normal for anything with a screen but whatever

The dock thing sucks but a screen protector is free with a case so eh

spekkeh

Banned
I had no problems but I case modded it. Cut out the felt that was around the switch in the box and used double sided tape to cover the front ridges. It's actually a really snug fit now, to the point I have to use a small bit of force, so I fully expect my case mod to now be the one that causes scratches.

Oh well then it's at least on me.

Fox318

It speaks to either how poorly designed the switch.

You shouldn't have a system that within 1 day of use is scratched up.

it sucks that you have to pay to solve a problem that could've been easily avoided.
But I think this product solves the problem. It's meant to be used in both docked/undocked mode, and it doesn't add much bulk. Sadly you'll have to import it. It's available at Play-Asia, and Amazon.jp

Links

https://www.amazon.co.jp/FRONT-COVER-Nintendo-Switch-ブラック/dp/B01N125DYN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488638635&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+switch+front+cover

http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-pink/13/70aw5j

It doesn't cover the face of the screen in docked mode though.

a60e705b-eb00-4dff-9c94-33a1d1633860.jpg._CB536323126__SL300__.jpg

So that actually doesn't fix the problem.

It speaks to either how poorly designed the switch.

You shouldn't have a system that within 1 day of use is scratched up.
The Switch is awesome to use and while the dock thing is crazy, you get a screen protector for free with the official case. Or you buy one separate and it's $5. That solves the only legit problem this thing has and apart from that it's awesome and really well-designed.

Maximo

The Switch is awesome to use and while the dock thing is crazy, you get a screen protector for free with the official case. Or you buy one separate and it's $5. That solves the only legit problem this thing has and apart from that it's awesome and really well-designed.

You must be trolling at this point.

This rubber tab is at the very bottom of the slot, and only protects the very bottom of the console WHILE docked, the scratches are occurring during insertion and removal, where this rubber tab isn't even in contact with the console.

People seriously need to stop blaming the end user on this issue, it isn't, it's purely down to poor design.

Good points. I just wondered if maybe some docks didn't have the bumpers.

Honestly I hated the design of the dock from the get go. I get why they set it up that way. But from a "Where the hell am I going to put this thing in my TV cabinet?" point of view...it sucks.

Kebiinu

Banned
Still no problems on my end, and I was docking/undocking all day, yesterday. It's either overblown, or where there's smoke there's a fire. I'm just glad I got lucky, all things considered.

Alebrije

Lol , hope Ninetendo solves this and not just say use the screen protector. It's like the 360 rrod when Microsoft instead of solving the problem they just extended guarantees, they ended fixing the 360 but took years.

"$0.05 has been deposited into your bank account."

From what I've heard those screen protectors are really bad and will get scratched badly by the dock. You'd need a tempered glass one.

Nintendo needs to solve this regardless.

Slaythe

Ok let me sum up the whole thing.

1) The Nintendo Switch has a faulty design that can lead to scratches

2) User's way of removing or inserting the console seems to make no difference (some people do it brutally and have a pristine console, others inserted it very slowly and got a scratch)

3) It appears to be a random hardware problem (might be due to an inward inclination of the Dock), not something on every console

4) It's not the Dock itself causing this, it's what gets between the Dock plastic parts and the screen, like dust particles + the fact that you usually need to "realign" the switch during insertion

Now as for the solutions :

1) Buy a tempered glass screen protector, this has no bubbles and isn't a pain in the ass to set up, it's 10 bucks

2) put some foam or use the film that came with the screen and put it on the front of the Dock with some tape(what faces the screen)

Combining both solutions guarantees you won't get a single scratch on your console.

From what I've heard those screen protectors are really bad and will get scratched badly by the dock. You'd need a tempered glass one.

Nintendo needs to solve this regardless.

They're all out of stock so that protector will do just fine while waiting for one. :)

I am pretty sure that screen protecotrs are melting and are not advised to be used, for more info on that u can have google dont know if there is neogaf thread about it but there should be one

Vitacat

Still no problems on my end, and I was docking/undocking all day, yesterday. It's either overblown, or where there's smoke there's a fire. I'm just glad I got lucky, all things considered.
You got lucky. I think I did as well. But then again I put on a good quality Illumishield protector immediately after opening my Switch box.

See above, the post where the guy used electronic calipers to measure the rail distance uniformity. Some docks may be worse than others.

GeNoMe

I am pretty sure that screen protecotrs are melting and are not advised to be used, for more info on that u can have google dont know if there is neogaf thread about it but there should be one
You can't just barge in here telling people that their applied screen protectors are prone to melting, and then tell them to go google it if they want more info. At least provide a source on where you read this?

Slaythe

What?! That can't be right.

I hope I didn't waste my money on a SP.

Your Switch screen is plastic and has NO cover.

This shit is getting scratched within two weeks tops.

Buy a tempered glass sp.

Remember, you can't transfer your save data. So you might as well take good care of your console because there's no sending it back.

Top Bottom