• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PSN game sharing hurting Sony and PS3 developers?

Corto

PuppetMaster said:
LOL

Tell it to the judge. Your understanding of the law is incorrect.

Maybe not in his country.

As for the subject of gamesharing I remember reading on another thread here about the subject, that one GAFfer developer wasn't sure that game sharing would hurt his sales... I'll try to find it.

REV 09

duckroll said:
Are they hurting developers and publishers or are they not?
It's debatable that renting hurts developers. At the end of the day renting is part of a legal secondary market. Gamesharing is no different from piracy. Gamesharing is stealing, but it's ultimately Sony's fault for developing such a system.

Hitokage said:
Game sharing is piracy under another name. Whether you think it moral or beneficial is another matter, but you're still giving duplicate copies of software to people who did not pay for the license.
If it's piracy, then it's piracy that Sony explicitly advertised as a feature of the console.

Wired article circa 2006 said:
Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's such hyperbole.

PSN Gamesharing means one account can be at most shared to 5 PS3s.
Notice: This is one account. This isn't per game. It means, I can share all my games with 4 people I know.

Now go to your favorite torrent site and check how they start with one seeder and with how many leechers/seeders they end up with.

Now that might be technically illegal. But it is nowhere near the same situation, as any judge would establish in a court case. The supposed incurred damage is in a completely different ballpark.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i stopped using gamesharing when psn cards came out, since im euro and 80% of my psn purchases are from the us store.

and even then i payed full price for the games

Momo

Banned
BladeoftheImmortal said:
Wrong. It's only illegal if you make profit off of the transaction.
If consequences dictate my course of action ..

Only wrong if I get caught ..

etc.

Corto

My googling abbilities are gimped today... maybe someone with a gold account could use the forum search to find the thread where a dev posted that he was not certain that game sharing was detrimental to dev's revenue? :D :D :D :D

But just to add another point to this discussion, I believe that each dev can choose to lock his game to one system for 24 hours? So if one thinks that game sharing will hurt his revenue they can choose to use a different more draconian drm system. They have the choice.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Corto said:
My googling abbilities are gimped today... maybe someone with a gold account could use the forum search to find the thread where a dev posted that he was not certain that game sharing was detrimental to dev's revenue? :D :D :D :D

But just to add another point to this discussion, I believe that each dev can choose to lock his game to one system for 24 hours? So if one thinks that game sharing will hurt his revenue they can choose to use a different more draconian drm system. They have the choice.

Right. But that has also backfired with some refusing to buy draconian DRM games. The Final Fight bundle comes to mind.

Hitokage said:
Game sharing is piracy under another name. Whether you think it moral or beneficial is another matter, but you're still giving duplicate copies of software to people who did not pay for the license.

The most used PSN DRM says that you pay for the use of a game on up to 5 different PS3 systems at the same time. It does also not restrict the usage to only the license owner but to every account that has access.

AndyD said:
Right. But that has also backfired with some refusing to buy draconian DRM games. The Final Fight bundle comes to mind.

Judging from the number of votes in the PS Store (compared to other titles) a lot of people bought that game though (that's because game sharing is not that common for casuals etc.).
I also think there must be some kind of restriction by Sony because otherwise we would have had a lot more games with that DRM, no?

However, the problem with FF is that it only lets you play it on the buyers account and this is pure bullshit for various reasons. 24h lock DRM is possible w/o that restriction, see Warhawk etc.

Corto said:

IIRC there were estimations that 10% or so of the users did gameshare a PSN game I forgot which one it was (maybe Mario commented on Shatter?)

Shai-Tan

Banned
The only game sharing I ever did was when my brother came back from Iraq and I didn't let him take his ps3 back so he bought a new one and I set up my account on there and told him he could dl the PSN games I bought. Not sure if he ever bothered to dl the games.

Anyway the people I talk to about this don't seem to have a clue about it. I often hear someone asking me to borrow a disk based game but I've never been asked to share a PSN game.

Stitch

Gold Member
Pandaman said:
Yes.

but developers crying about gamesharing rank as highly as 'movie theaters complaining about people keeping their 3D glasses' on my giveadamn chart.
i paid the fucking 3D fee so i can do whatever the fuck i want with the damn glasses!

:D

yurinka

Hitokage said:
Something Sony legally allows you to do using their systems, unlike to duplicate disks and sell them or dump games and distribute them in torrent sites or similar.

Developers are free to use other DRM ways in PS3 if they want to, like the 24 lock (a game activated by a user can't be activated by another in 24h) or to disable the sharing. But if most of them use the normal one is because they don't see any problem.

Amir0x

Banned
All I know is that the developers behind the Pixeljunk series called me names for having one of their titles gameshared to me, so I decided never to spend any money on their games for real.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidusDave said:
However, the problem with FF is that it only lets you play it on the buyers account and this is pure bullshit for various reasons. 24h lock DRM is possible w/o that restriction, see Warhawk etc.

I agree.

There are various degrees on DRM of course, and FF is one of the most onerous we have seen. But you are right, there is also the 24 hours lock one.

The issue with that one is that it still affects some fair users, those with more than one PS3 in their house. I should be able to play every game on my upstairs and downstairs PS3 anytime (except at the same time maybe). Which is why I think a cloud saving method needs to come out soon.

Burai said:
If it did, Sony would have stopped it years ago.

The end.
Yeah look how quickly they shut their Linux feature down, once it became inconvenient for them.

Amir0x said:
All I know is that the developers behind the Pixeljunk series called me names for having one of their titles gameshared to me, so I decided never to spend any money on their games for real.
That's assy. They should just be glad you played it, I would think.

Don't you think if Sony gave a damn about this that they would enact a better system to stop people from doing this? ie. final fight drm, 24 hour lockout on every single PSN title.

Or you know, actually come out and say something publicly about it. A blog post saying they are 100% against it and anyone caught doing it will be banned would probably suffice. But they haven't. So why does GAF insist on bitching about this more than Sony or developers themselves?

Especially considering only a year ago we had a 2400 post game sharing thread on here.

MrPliskin

Banned
duckroll said:
Does Gamefly hurt game developers and publishers?

Do used games hurt game developers and publishers?

Does borrowing from friends hurt game developers and publishers?

Do Youtube complete playthrough videos hurt game developers and publishers?

Discuss.

I think it's a bit different when you're talking about bigger companies getting $60 for their games, and smaller possibly indie devs getting far less. Granted, their budgets are also smaller, and there is no way to know if it's proportionate to the cost of a bigger budget title and it's price tag.

Still, I think that this might 'hurt' those smaller devs more than say, Gamefly or borrowing, trading, etc.

PS: I mean 'hurt' as in not a positive. A potential sale is a potential sale, so there's no way for us to measure what could have been, would have been, etc. We can get on semantics until the cows come home, but it'a easier if you look at it like "if x gamer wouldn't have shared it, he was a potential sale".

Amir0x said:

Well, that's obviously your fault for sharing something so amazingly awesome instead of buying it like you should have in the first place :p QGames = Win.

JWong

Banned
I've gameshared with two formally microsoft loyal friends who would otherwise not have bought them anyways, but now they only play on PS3 with PSN+ and stuff.
Heck, I don't even have PSN+
just yet.

Roto13

bandresen said:
That's such hyperbole.

PSN Gamesharing means one account can be at most shared to 5 PS3s.
Notice: This is one account. This isn't per game. It means, I can share all my games with 4 people I know.
Is that true? I always thought it was a per-game thing.

Amir0x said:
Hah. I bought PixelJunk Shooter because a friend game shared it to me and I ended up loving it. I wouldn't have tried it otherwise. :p

MrPliskin

Banned
Roto13 said:

Hah. I bought PixelJunk Shooter because a friend game shared it to me and I ended up loving it. I wouldn't have tried it otherwise. :p

You wouldn't have purchased it, even if you played the demo?

Volcynika

Amir0x said:

Well I'm glad someone shared one of their titles to me, I couldn't stand it and deleted it shortly after. Good thing I didn't waste my money on it.

Roto13 said:

Yes, you share accounts, not specific games (however, the timer for the 24hour lock DRM is per-game I think).

The only way for a person to distribute a PSN game to more than 4 other people would be to buy it once more with a different account to get a license for 4 more PS3s and so on.

MrPliskin

Banned
Volcynika said:
Well I'm glad someone shared one of their titles to me, I couldn't stand it and deleted it shortly after. Good thing I didn't waste my money on it.

I don't get this though! Don't all of their games have demo's? Or am I mistaken?

Maybe it's just difficult for me to understand people getting something for free, then buying it anyway. I'm a pessimist, and I don't believe there are that many good willed people out there :lol

game sharing is more limited than people think and plus you must trust the people you are sharing with and that is something that many of us wouldn't do, trust others so much

what hurts PSN more than XBLA is the lack of fuckin' Demos/Trials fuck fuck fuck fuck

not dropping money on a random DD game that has no Demo fuck

tried the Demo for Scott Pilgrim, liked it bought it,
tried the Demo for Shank; thought it to have slow response on button presses , did not buy it

Volcynika

MrPliskin said:
I don't get this though! Don't all of their games have demo's? Or am I mistaken?

Maybe it's just difficult for me to understand people getting something for free, then buying it anyway. I'm a pessimist, and I don't believe there are that many good willed people out there :lol

I don't think there was a demo available for the game until well after release. I did end up buying PixelJunk Monsters for PSP which I couldn't for the life of me get into either, so whatever.

There's a couple questions here.

One, is there anything wrong with game sharing? I say unequivocally no. These are the license terms PSN games are sold under. They permit use on five systems and don't place even unenforceable restrictions on which systems those may be. This is the equivalent of using the spawn feature from Starcraft or something -- yes, it can create situations where someone doesn't need to buy a game they otherwise might have, but it does so when people use a built-in feature in a way that was, if not intended, at least anticipated. End users should never feel compelled to watch out for the publishers' interests in this kind of scenario; pay full price if you want, to support the developer (or get five installs all to yourself) but not because you think sharing is inherently wrong.

The second is whether desigining their system this way has increased or decreased sales overall. This one's pretty hard to figure out since we don't even know what PSN sales in general look like, though the little information we have suggests that only a small portion of PSN titles purchased are being shared in the first place. At that point you just have the question of whether the network-advertising effect (where people go spend more money on things related to stuff they liked when they got it for free) outdoes the cheapskate effect. My own guess is that they'd probably more or less even out, but we'd need much more detailed numbers to even start to get a factual answer.

It is, at least, pretty clear that a) devs can have very successful releases on PSN and b) Sony has made no serious effort to rework their game sharing policy, so I certainly don't think there's much chance this is some sort of epidemic destroying the platform from inside.

MrPliskin said:
I think it's a bit different when you're talking about bigger companies getting $60 for their games, and smaller possibly indie devs getting far less.

There is a difference, but in practice the way that difference usually plays out is that indie/small-scale artists on the whole benefit much more from additional promotion (which distributing their content for cheap or free can help them get) than they even have the possibility of suffering from "lost sales" (since their sales are so low to start with.)

aeolist

Banned
Playing games hurts developers because if they're bad you might not want to buy from them again

Gamers should just buy games and then squirrel them away in their garages, anything else is worse than piracy

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Man said:
I would guess only about 5-8% of the customers are aware of sharing.
I would guess upto 10% of those use it actively.

I'm guessing it removes a lot of headache from Sony in regards to flexibility complaints.

If you want an "actual" number based on data across multiple games, the number of users for any given game who obtained that game via gamesharing is ~20%.

benny_a

Mario said:
If you want an "actual" number based on data across multiple games, the number of users for any given game who obtained that game via gamesharing is ~20%.
How is that data gathered?

benny_a

Zoe said:
^ I would think Sidhe would have access to their own usage stats.
Yes. But how do they determine what is a gameshared user and what is the original buyer?
I just want to know what's classified as what.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Does Gamefly hurt game developers and publishers?

Do used games hurt game developers and publishers?

Does borrowing from friends hurt game developers and publishers?

Do Youtube complete playthrough videos hurt game developers and publishers?

Discuss.
Yes, No, No, no.

The coin has spoken.

Shurs

Mario said:

Yikes.

jett

D-Member
Mario said:

Man that's quite a bit.

Malvolio

Amir0x said:

I find that amusing considering that I only purchased Monsters after having one of their other games shared with me.

Speevy

Banned
Hey, why stop there? Maybe every game is 85% game-shared. There was extensive research done on this.

This data is current as of Castle Crashers this past Tuesday.

Come on people, seriously?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Mario said:

20% wooha !!! and yet Sony remove OtherOs ( that hurt no one) but do nothing about gamesharing.

Speevy said:
Hey, why stop there? Maybe every game is 85% game-shared. There was extensive research done on this.

This data is current as of Castle Crashers this past Tuesday.

uhm, 80% game-shared would be the theoretical maximum (1 persons buys it, 4 people share it) and that's already out of question for any game.

@20%: Is that data from leaderboards vs. actual sales? Because if multiple persons use the same PS3, they might use separate accounts (I hope people don't consider that gamesharing as well?).
Maybe you can enhance the data buy excluding accounts that only played the game for a very short time? (though I have a buddy who bought 15€ PSN games only to play them once :lol )

benny_a

SolidusDave said:
@20%: Is that data from leaderboards vs. actual sales? Because if multiple persons use the same PS3, they might use separate accounts (I hope people don't consider that gamesharing as well?).
That's exactly why I want to know how they determine who is genuine and who isn't. Because there are so many ways to screw it up and without knowing how they classify the different groups it's just a very unreliable number.

You can however push the false positive number quite low, depending on what information they phone home and how much time they invest into the analysis.

Speevy

Banned
SolidusDave said:
uhm, 80% game-shared would be the theoretical maximum (1 persons buys it, 4 people share it) and that's already out of question for any game.

It's 95%. Don't argue with me.

I'm laughing at the likelihood that someone has such a number.

Amir0x

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Well, that's obviously your fault for sharing something so amazingly awesome instead of buying it like you should have in the first place :p QGames = Win.

They were ok games, nothing great... but after the Pixeljunk developers decided to be all dumb on me, I just decided not to give them any of my money. That seems to be a fair exchange. I have a friend who allows me to share games, and he has all the Pixeljunk titles, so that's about as much as I will go as far as Q games goes.

Malvolio said:
I find that amusing considering that I only purchased Monsters after having one of their other games shared with me.

I've purchased several games that were gameshared to me too that I liked. That's the way I am. If one of the people I'm gamesharing with decides they need to cancel the account or something, I won't be able to use their games anymore, so it's for my own security.

But don't get angry at me for utilizing a feature that some of Sony's own representatives have told me it's the reason it was there for, just because you don't like it. If you don't like the feature then maybe you should be making games for XBLA or WiiWare.

Top Bottom