• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone play Zelda Breath Of The Wild and not like it?

SPCTRE

y9QrMvy.png

kubev

I like exploring in BotW. I have mixed feelings about the shrines, though, and I absolutely hate the combat and controls. As much as I enjoy exploring the world in BotW, I have to say that the combat infuriates me far too easily for me to look past it. Given the fact that I'm having a lot of difficulty in finding more shrines to explore, I'm getting to a point where I'll probably need to tackle more combat, and I have less drive to play the game, as a result.

takriel

I thought the dungeons are excellent. Sure, they are not as long as those from past Zelda games, but the puzzles are quite clever. I like that each one has their unique mechanic that you have to get familiar with in order to solve the puzzles. The dungeon music is excellent, as well. The dungeon bosses music is one of the very best I've heard. And the epic dungeon locations, don't even get me started on those...

While yes, they are quite small dungeons, what little they offer is fucking awesome.

I wouldnt mind the weapon breaking if it happened if you die and/or after a fight sequence is over. It just feels like the action in the combat gets very interupted and right now I just avoid many enemies instead. Maby weapons gets better later but combined with me being uncomfortable with the controll method its often frustrating and loads of bad deaths.

That's actually a good compromise idea imo. To not have the weapons break until a fight is over. One of my big complaints is how you have to switch weapons and pause everything in the middle of a fight and that'd solve that problem, and it would also obviously mean the weapons would be a little more durable but still break.

The Lamp

I've been knee deep in the Switch version of this game for the past three days, and it's been pretty fun so far. It's clear that they've put a lot of thought into creating an exciting and challenging open world.
I can see why it captured a lot of folks' hearts and minds.
That being said...I'm not completely in love with it though...I personally wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10. It doesn't feel like one of the "best games ever made", and I'd be happy if this was a one off because it's not what I'd like the series to be for the next decade or so.

My list of grievances so far includes (but aren't limited to):
-The fps dips. They are so frequent, it's distracting and really sloppy considering this is Nintendo we're talkin' about; try not to bite off more than you can chew Fujibayashi and Co, your worlds don't have to be so needlessly big and overly detailed.

-The skimpy shrines. Every time I complete one I'm left wanting more; LoZ's puzzle design works best when a diverse set of challenges are bundled together inside of a compelling theme with an incremental increase in complexity from room to room. Alone- in a bite sized, and isolated form- the simplicity makes them feel unsatisfying and somewhat repetitive...especially when there are only a paltry 4 items to work with in the whole game.

-The disappointing dungeons. They've been quite...meh...so far. They look the same, they're kind of obtuse despite being really simplistic, they're surprisingly short, and on top of all that they have a repetitive gameplay loop.
They've also lost that signature sense of progression and wonder due to the absence of specialized items that allow you conquer those fantastical and impassable areas that taunted you in the beginning portions of past games' dungeons.
This is some of the weakest and most unfocused dungeon design I've seen since Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

-The somewhat sloppy voice acting and direction. Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to a badly dubbed anime (the performance behind princess Zelda herself is particularly disappointing to me). It really takes me out of an otherwise well-crafted and charmingly presented tale.

-The meek musical score. When Manaka Kataoka lets loose the pieces are often amazing (Examples include Hateno Village, Prince Sito's theme, the Vah Ruta Battle theme, and the awesomely nostalgic Rito Village)...but the choice to be mostly atmospheric and minimalist with the music has created a relatively boring and forgettable score in comparison to past LoZ games. She can do a lot better imo.

- the lackluster boss design. So far it feels like I'm mostly just button-mashing on the same guy over and over again. There's very minimal use of the runes (aka items) in these battles...and the use of them never feels as creative or cohesive as it does in something like the Kolokotos battle in Skyward Sword or the Blizzeta battle in Twilight Princess.

- All that empty space. Empty space has a purpose; it makes the world feel more naturalistic (fields, forest, desserts and canyons are generally pretty quiet and somewhat vacant IRL), and provides moments of levity after completing more intense or demanding tasks. However it feels like it takes waaaaaaaaay to long to move around this game's Hyrule, it get tedious after a while. Game designers in general should really rethink how they approach open worlds...they don't always need to be so big and unruly.

- the trite tower mechanic. They're probably my least favorite part of the overall gameplay loop; it feels like it takes forever to get to them...and you're doing the same thing over and over and over again. Climbing...climbing...climbing...over and over again, each and everyone involves climbing the same copy/paste tower. Plus, this particular mechanic is just so played out for me at this point, it feels like it's everywhere nowadays.

I'm knee-deep into the game and I'm starting to see these glaring faults as well.

BotW does so many amazing things right, but the fact that they fumbled the voice acting, boss fights, and dungeons of all things is superbly ironic. Not sure how they heard these dialogue lines in the studio and thought they sounded okay.

Not sure why they sacrificed most sense of item strategy with boss fights, and progression with dungeons for the sake of unlimited freedom. I feel like they didn't figure out how to compromise this aspect well.

In fact, I look fondly upon Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask for their puzzles. They were top tier item puzzles.

Here's its like...cool...lift a rock, there's a korok!
Or make an ice pillar or something. The puzzles aren't very unique yet for me (25 hours in)

Mostly everything else is amazing.

Markoman

Game is great, but not +10 great or even +14 compared to Horizon or Yakuza 0 on the MC scale.
It's just another great game this spring, that's all. No mambo jumbo magic or something like that for me.

After 20 hours or so, some things are becoming tedious tbh. I will never be a fan of the weapon system and cooking is extremely time consuming and unfunny at this point. The game's difficulty curve is also rather strange. I've obtained two gamebreakers
Stasis+ and Titan 1 gift
in quick succession. Shrines started as fun, now it's busy-work.

9/10

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I may be crazy, but having not yet played the game the weapon durability mechanic is mighty appealing to me. I love the idea of being forced to improvise on the fly during every encounter.
I normally hate durability mechanics too, but I'm finding it okay in this game so far. There are plenty of weapons to go through (I'm still throwing away weapons because I keep running into inventory limits), and it's counterbalanced by the fact that you have infinite bombs, so you always have a way to do damage, even without using your "consumables". I also just recently got a few good weapons from enemies, which means I don't even need to resort to the crappy wooden clubs that weaker enemies drop so commonly, at least for the foreseeable future.

I've actually started cutting down trees and fishing with bombs so that I don't use up axe durability and arrows. I feel like a horrible person lol.

Question about the frame rate: How bad are we talking here? Does it ever get Blighttown on PS3 bad?

It honestly does a handful of times, but it's pretty rare, especially when you consider how much time you'll be playing the game if it hooks you.

But it does happen. I'm thinking of one area in particular.

I'm knee-deep into the game and I'm starting to see these glaring faults as well.

BotW does so many amazing things right, but the fact that they fumbled the voice acting, boss fights, and dungeons of all things is superbly ironic. Not sure how they heard these dialogue lines in the studio and thought they sounded okay.

Not sure why they sacrificed most sense of item strategy with boss fights, and progression with dungeons for the sake of unlimited freedom. I feel like they didn't figure out how to compromise this aspect well.

In fact, I look fondly upon Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask for their puzzles. They were top tier item puzzles.

Here's its like...cool...lift a rock, there's a korok!
Or make an ice pillar or something. The puzzles aren't very unique yet for me (25 hours in)

Mostly everything else is amazing.

I think the dungeons in this game are absolutely fantastic, but they're definitely not traditional and I can see why that puts off some people, especially if they're the main reason you play the series.

I don't think they're a blemish on this game at all, though. They're such a small part of the experience. I think the setpiece lead-up to each one is comparable to the best action moments from a developer like Naughty Dog. I wasn't expecting setpieces like these in a Zelda game and I hope we get more like them in the future. I do hope some traditional dungeons make a return in subsequent games, though, I'm also hoping the DLC dungeon is classic Zelda.

The Lamp

It honestly does a handful of times, but it's pretty rare, especially when you consider how much time you'll be playing the game if it hooks you.

But it does happen. I'm thinking of one area in particular.

I think the dungeons in this game are absolutely fantastic, but they're definitely not traditional and I can see why that puts off some people, especially if they're the main reason you play the series.

I don't think they're a blemish on this game at all, though. They're such a small part of the experience. I think the setpiece lead-up to each one is comparable to the best action moments from a developer like Naughty Dog. I wasn't expecting setpieces like these in a Zelda game and I hope we get more like them in the future. I do hope some traditional dungeons make a return in subsequent games, though, I'm also hoping the DLC dungeon is classic Zelda.

The
Zora
dungeon I did was so small and simple and I think literally had like 3 or 4 one-hit defeat enemies. Just embarrassing compared to previous
Zora
dungeons.

I completed Lakebed Temple in waiting for BotW launch and the difference in dungeon quality is astounding.

20cent

Banned
Love the game, so addictive but....i hate the fights.
I'm scared to engage combat with tough enemies, even with the easy ones I can't manage to do a proper parry/dodge/flurry attack.... i have a lot of arrows for now so im still doing okay...

PooBone

I really, REALLY HATE the shrines. A bunch of identical looking rooms with shitty background music, (the music otherwise is beautiful, there's just not nearly enough of it) plus you have to watch/skip five identical animations every time you find one. One for activating the warp point, another as you get on the elevator, another one as you get off the elevator, and then when you beat it there's two more animations (text) and an inventory add screen that is identical EVERY SINGLE TIME. In addition to this annoyance, there's also the idea of what they replaced: an interesting underworld worth exploring.

UGH! I hate em.

Love the game otherwise.

The
Zora
dungeon I did was so small and simple and I think literally had like 3 or 4 one-hit defeat enemies. Just embarrassing compared to previous
Zora
dungeons.

I completed Lakebed Temple in waiting for BotW launch and the difference in dungeon quality is astounding.

Lakebed is one of the best dungeons ever made in Zelda. I really need to replay TP.

I don't think they're a blemish on this game at all, though. They're such a small part of the experience...

I'm not going to repeat everyone else's gripes about this game, but please know I share in just about all of them but nothing disappoints me more in this "Zelda" game than how the dungeons are handled.

Shrines with maybe 1-2 puzzles in them spread across the landscape and these poor, small excuses for "dungeons" are a huge blemish on this game in the lineage of Zelda. One thing that Zelda games have done very well starting with Link to the Past is what I like to call the "Rewards Drip". Zelda games in general have a very good balance of rewarding players for their time and ingenuity, and dungeons were the epitome of that rewards drip. Rewarding players with a varied collection of challenges, battles and actual, tangible rewards. The hours spent in previous games' dungeons are among the top highlights in my gaming history.

These new shrines and mini-dungeons leave me more with a shrug than a smile when I get through them, and come nowhere close to the full dungeons in previous games in the series, and making me trek for minutes at a time across a big, mostly empty landscape to get to the next unsatisfying pale shadow of a Zelda dungeon has not endeared me much to this game.

I'll admit, I have a long way to go still, but as of right now Breath of the Wild is a contender with Skyward Sword for my least favorite 3D Zelda.

rhandino

Banned
I don't mind the Shrines, some of them have the best puzzles and then there are ones that reward you for the mere fact of reaching them by completing some mission in the overworld (my favorites being
Eventide Island
and
the maze en the Akkala Region
)

mlclmtckr

Banned
The
Zora
Zora
dungeons.

The thing is each dungeon has its own leadup region that is distinct from the overworld. It's like how you had to go through that maze to get to the Forest Temple in OOT, but this time instead of a short puzzle / combat section there's a whole geographical region with its own side quests and mechanics and NPCs.

The
Zora
Zora
dungeons.

For sure. And I think that's because TP's main focus was on dungeons and the main focus of BotW is the overworld. If we actually get a game that puts an equal emphasis on both, it will be amazing. They're probably going to have to expand their team size and budget though.

I think BotW is a significantly better game than TP though. While shrines and
Divine Beasts
aren't a perfect replacement for traditional dungeons, I still love them, just in a different way. And I'll take these things + the amazing overworld over TP's dungeons (which honestly aren't that great compared to most Zelda games, watch Mark Brown's video about them) + its horrible overworld any day.

I don't mind the Shrines, some of them have the best puzzles and then there are ones that reward you for the mere fact of reaching them by completing some mission in the overworld (my favorites being
Eventide Island
and
the maze en the Akkala Region
)

The Shrine Quest are probably my favorite aspect of the game.

En-ou

I love the shrine mechanic, i'm always so excited to see what puzzle lurks inside when I find one.

The thing is each dungeon has its own leadup region that is distinct from the overworld. It's like how you had to go through that maze to get to the Forest Temple in OOT, but this time instead of a short puzzle / combat section there's a whole geographical region with its own side quests and mechanics and NPCs.
yep. dungeon gameplay without being inside a dungeon.

Although I agree with you, you aren't gong to convince dungeon stalwarts that this is even close to the same thing. There's something about being inside an actual dungeon with small keys, a map, a compass, and a unique item that certain Zelda fans believe is impossible to top.

Opa-Pa

My only gripe with the dungeons in this is that they're too short. They're pretty creative and fun, though, I'd love to see the idea expanded in another game.

I've never been too crazy about puzzle solving though. To me, Zelda was always about the sense of adventure and discovery, so this game is pretty much a dream come true.

I do love the shrines, however. The puzzles are wonderful and I don't get tired of them because they're not mandatory and can clear them at my own pace.

Performance on Wii U is definitely garbage, though, I can tell you that's one thing I hate about the game lol.

Oh and weapon durability is fine, but they should last a bit longer. Having a normal sword break after two encounters is madness and makes no sense.

But yeah as it stands, it's the best Zelda game ever for me and it's not even close.

VDenter

Banned
The shrines despite being short still offer some of the best puzzles in the Zelda series to date. I think Nintendo not having to focus too much of their energy on the structure of eight or nine dungeons makes it much easier for the team to create simple fun mind bending puzzles that the player can be rewarded with by exploring. Which is the main focus of the game.

I'm not a graphics whore but...eeesh. Textures loading 2 feet from Link, jaggies, and an often applied haze effect really is distracting.

Otherwise love the game. Including the Shrines. I was frankly sick of being stuck in a dungeon for hours on end after replaying the GC titles and to those who say it's a "departure" - go back and play NES Zelda and see how long a dungeon lasts.

PSFan

Although I agree with you, you aren't gong to convince dungeon stalwarts that this is even close to the same thing. There's something about being inside an actual dungeon with small keys, a map, a compass, and a unique item that certain Zelda fans believe is impossible to top.

Don't forget the Boss Key.

I have no problem with the amount of time it takes to clear the dungeons in BotW. What I have a problem with is:

1) They don't seem to have very many enemies, and then they're just basic mini Guardian grunts. The dungeons in the original games were really dangerous with lots of enemies and even introduced enemies you didn't see anywhere else.

2) The original dungeons were labyrinths that you had to navigate in just the right way to get to the boss, but the dungeons aren't like that at all in BotW - they're just a series of scattered puzzles. The kinds of puzzles we've got now would make a nice endpoint to open the boss door in an otherwise maze-like dungeon.

Peltz

Good point. Leading up to the
zora
region was one of the highlights of the game so far to me. I've only done one
divine beast
so far though. I'm mostly just taking my time with this game and exploring the landscape and getting into random adventures. I downright love the overworld.

My personal gripes about 40 hours in:
1) Horses are fun to tame but they're kind useless most times. I wish Epona's song was in so I could call them from anywhere. I only use them near stables when I have to explore a wide open field, or in central Hyrule field to take down guardians. Other than that I stick to the skies!
2) The recipe book... first I though it was a silly suggestion but it would be nice to choose a recipe from the book and make it instantaneously.
3) It does rain a lot for a game that requires tons of climbing lol

That said, I'm finding a lot of the gripes people have are some of my favourite things about it. There's also something to be said about judging the game within the first few hours. I mean for me it didn't even click completely until hour 10 or so:

- Yes there's a weapon durability system and, at the beginning of the game when everything is wooden or rusted, they break real easy. However after a while you just say fuck it. Weapons, shields and ingredients aren't meant to be preserved (you'll find more). You experiment, you adapt. There's also the fact that...

- Situations can be approached in dozens of different ways, even battle. We've been conditioned by the Zelda series to approach an enemy head on and swing a sword until it dies. No more. Boulders, explosives, dropping metal objects, bombs, sniping, shock/freezing for crowd control, booby traps, stealth kills, stealing weapons, distracting with food, distracting with sound, stasis projectiles, etc etc etc.

- Don't get me wrong, as someone who's played OoT at least 35 times by now I do miss the longer, themed dungeons. However, breaking up adventuring with shrine puzzles is actually a clever idea to implement a "dungeon" structure in such a massive world. Shrines seem to be scattered almost perfectly to culminate a two hour bout of exploration with something cool. If there were 10 big dungeons in the game, there would be a lot of puzzle-dry spells.

- I'm a hardcore completionist but I think this may be the first game I decide to just play for fun. I could spend all the time in the world filling the compendia and getting every item/weapon but you know what? I just don't think it reflects the game. This is about survival. It's about minimalism and making what you have work. So you didn't get all the korok seeds... big deal.

- Stats. Not sure why the lack of them is an issue. Link only gets stronger as far as hearts and stamina are concerned. The rest is player growth and adaptability, which I think is really cool.

- Voice acting. It's kinda bad but at the same time it's kinda Zelda-esque. I can't greally get hung up on something like this lol

This is a bit random but having seen in mentioned on this last page: I'm replaying Zelda Twilight Princess at the moment and...wow. I forgot what a downgrade to (even) Wind Waker this was. I won't miss the traditional dungeons, let's just say it this way.

Ansatz

I have no problem with the amount of time it takes to clear the dungeons in BotW. What I have a problem with is:

1) They don't seem to have very many enemies, and then they're just basic mini Guardian grunts. The dungeons in the original games were really dangerous with lots of enemies and even introduced enemies you didn't see anywhere else.

2) The original dungeons were labyrinths that you had to navigate in just the right way to get to the boss, but the dungeons aren't like that at all in BotW - they're just a series of scattered puzzles. The kinds of puzzles we've got now would make a nice endpoint to open the boss door in an otherwise maze-like dungeon.

Zelda dungeons haven't been metroidvania style labyrinths for a long time now anyway, they've been linear series of rooms since Twilight Princess without any meaningful interaction between them. In the past you had to think about stuff like how changing something in one room would affect the entire dungeon, but now all the rooms are self-contained puzzled with no macroscopic element to them like raising water levels and such. The Portal-esque structure of mini rooms that focus entirely on a single concept is actually more elegant than a string of arbitrarily put together single-room puzzles, what I'm saying is I prefer BotW's approach over Skyward Swords' but I would rather they go back to dungeons acting as mini metroid maps.

That's awesome to hear, I loved the focused, wide-linear level design before
Zora's Domain
and how they used rain and mountains to naturally guide you through a specific path. Easily the best part of the overworld for me, I love me some obstacle-course style areas. I respect that this game is about exploration and so it will mostly contain open landscape (which are really well made btw), but I'm glad they included this type as well.

Coda

I went from being in the first main area of the game, thinking why am I so gimped and why everything takes forever in this game to really enjoying it. Once I got the paraglider it was amazing how much the game opens up. I was honestly close to selling the game because I didn't think it was for me, but once I got past that part and got a handle on the controls I've been enjoying it since.

Air

Banned
The only issue I have is that the dungeons could be incorporated into the world better. I'd like to explore a volcano and see a hole, go in and boom volcano dungeon. That and some more enemy types.

I love the shrines. There's a good mix of shrines that are isolated and others that are built within the world. I don't much care for the story or other narrative things (if you're playing videogames for the stories I think that's a misuse of time imo).

What the game sets out to do, it does fantastically and without parallel, but there are some rough edges here and there. Definitely a 10 though

Zelda dungeons haven't been metroidvania style labyrinths for a long time now anyway, they've been linear series of rooms since Twilight Princess without any meaningful interaction between them. In the past you had to think about stuff like how changing something in one room would affect the entire dungeon, but now all the rooms are self-contained puzzled with no macroscopic element to them like raising water levels and such. The Portal-esque structure of mini rooms that focus entirely on a single concept is actually more elegant than a string of arbitrarily put together single-room puzzles, what I'm saying is I prefer BotW's approach over Skyward Swords' but I would rather they go back to dungeons acting as mini metroid maps.

When I read your first sentence, my reaction was basically "Zelda games haven't been open-world action RPGs for a long time now, either, and look at Breath of the Wild now."

;p

Treacherous labyrinthine dungeons with their own enemy ecosystems are another convention I'd like to see revived while the newer dungeon design philosophies recede into the background. Shrines can definitely stay, though.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
People are saying that there are dungeon-like areas in the Overworld, is this true? I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

People are saying that there are dungeon-like areas in the Overworld, is this true? I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

Depending on how you approach certain regions, you may find yourself working your way toward each of the main dungeons through a more linear pathway. I'm guessing that's what people are talking about.

hampig

There are a few really excellent examples of things like this. They've been really surprising and fun as far as I've seen so far. They're sort of overworld "puzzle areas" that once completed, reward you with a puzzle-less shrine. There are some mighty impressive ones.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
There are a few really excellent examples of things like this. They've been really surprising and fun as far as I've seen so far. They're sort of overworld "puzzle areas" that once completed, reward you with a puzzle-less shrine. There are some mighty impressive ones.
I guess I have to keep looking, the only blessing shrines I've found are from
the Korok forest, Eventide Island, and a bombable wall in a cliffside.

Raitaro

I've been completely obsessed by this game since first booting it up but I have to agree with some of the negatives mentioned in this thread.

My list, in no particular order:
- Enemy variety could be a lot better than fighting through countless camps of the same three types so far (save for less frequent, but very welcome other enemies sprinkled in between).

- Voice acting is quite inconsistent and jarring in places, and that is coming from someone who rarely gets bothered by such things. Maybe they should have gone with the team behind the Souls games instead?

- Getting what seem to be the four main items to use in shrines right at the beginning of the game is something that greatly limits the puzzle designs in shrines as the developers can only be sure of those being in the player's possession.

- Shrines are mostly too short and I also don't really like their unified high-tech / clean look.

- Weapons break far too quickly, especially the metal ones, and it makes little sense in terms of world building that there are no vendors who sell basic weapons nor that there aren't any smiths who can fix them. I would have liked a system where more valuable weapons could be repaired by, for instance, using a somewhat rare item or tool. Being a master swordsman, it would also make sense that Link would gradually perfect his skills with each weapon type and that they would start to break less quickly as a result. (I can't get the image out of my mind that Link is not so much saving Hyrule but that he is trying to get his hands on and then destroy as many weapons as he can.)

- Some of the frequently repeated cutscenes are starting to get on my nerves, especially the unskippable Blood Moon one and all the skippable Shrine ones (that still take up time even when skipped).

Other than these I really like the game and consider it a monumental experience. I can't wait to explore the rest of its vast world and visit the other domains.

This has already surpassed majora's mask and links awakening as my favorite zelda. I have my complaints. I don't love the voice acting. And yeah, enemy variety could he better. Could use more music being played. But overall, sublime. Best open world game I've played

Appleman

I've been completely obsessed by this game since first booting it up but I have to agree with some of the negatives mentioned in this thread.

My list, in no particular order:
- Enemy variety could be a lot better than fighting through countless camps of the same three types so far (save for less frequent, but very welcome other enemies sprinkled in between).

- Voice acting is quite inconsistent and jarring in places, and that is coming from someone who rarely gets bothered by such things. Maybe they should have gone with the team behind the Souls games instead?

- Getting what seem to be the four main items to use in shrines right at the beginning of the game is something that greatly limits the puzzle designs in shrines as the developers can only be sure of those being in the player's possession.

- Shrines are mostly too short and I also don't really like their unified high-tech / clean look.

- Weapons break far too quickly, especially the metal ones, and it makes little sense in terms of world building that there are no vendors who sell basic weapons nor that there aren't any smiths who can fix them. I would have liked a system where more valuable weapons could be repaired by, for instance, using a somewhat rare item or tool. Being a master swordsman, it would also make sense that Link would gradually perfect his skills with each weapon type and that they would start to break less quickly as a result. (I can't get the image out of my mind that Link is not so much saving Hyrule but that he is trying to get his hands on and then destroy as many weapons as he can.)

- Some of the frequently repeated cutscenes are starting to get on my nerves, especially the unskippable Blood Moon one and all the skippable Shrine ones (that still take up time even when skipped).

Other than these I really like the game and consider it a monumental experience. I can't wait to explore the rest of its vast world and visit the other domains.

Blood Moon cutscene is skippable, just sometimes they switch the skip button to + instead of X for whatever reason

russtc3

Neo Member
I've only played it for a little bit, but it's just alright so far. It's a shame that it runs poorly in spots and doesn't look that great. Better graphics would go a long way in a game such as this.

I also don't really like the controls. Just doesn't feel natural yet, and I'm not sure it ever will honestly.

Appleman

I'm not going to repeat everyone else's gripes about this game, but please know I share in just about all of them but nothing disappoints me more in this "Zelda" game than how the dungeons are handled.

Shrines with maybe 1-2 puzzles in them spread across the landscape and these poor, small excuses for "dungeons" are a huge blemish on this game in the lineage of Zelda. One thing that Zelda games have done very well starting with Link to the Past is what I like to call the "Rewards Drip". Zelda games in general have a very good balance of rewarding players for their time and ingenuity, and dungeons were the epitome of that rewards drip. Rewarding players with a varied collection of challenges, battles and actual, tangible rewards. The hours spent in previous games' dungeons are among the top highlights in my gaming history.

These new shrines and mini-dungeons leave me more with a shrug than a smile when I get through them, and come nowhere close to the full dungeons in previous games in the series, and making me trek for minutes at a time across a big, mostly empty landscape to get to the next unsatisfying pale shadow of a Zelda dungeon has not endeared me much to this game.

I'll admit, I have a long way to go still, but as of right now Breath of the Wild is a contender with Skyward Sword for my least favorite 3D Zelda.

That's pretty interesting, I feel like BotW has one of the best rewards drips of all the Zelda games. Wind Waker I thought did a bad job of this, but the shrines are great. Once I reach a shrine I'm just as excited about the puzzle/treasure/orb as I am about unlocking a new warp point to be able to get back there. Makes adventuring out into the unknown really fun once you finally are able to get that checkpoint

Being a master swordsman, it would also make sense that Link would gradually perfect his skills with each weapon type and that they would start to break less quickly as a result

that's kind of exactly what happens, but you're Link, and your skills are built upon perfected from being made to utilize weapons in differing scenarios constantly, sort of like how I describe in this post:

I arrived at a shiekah tower that was surrounded by a massive, busted up camp, surrounded by fatal sludge. From a nearby ledge, I saw a group of enemies on a multi-story camp tower, one of whom was asleep by himself. So I glided over to him, dropped a few feet away, and switched to a single handed sword - because from experience with a single handed sword in a variety of combat encounters, which I might not have engaged in if I had an unbreakable weapon of a different type that I relied on, I knew that a sneak strike with a single handed sword wouldn't knock my enemy away, and I'd get to keep the parts his body would drop instead of letting him fall down into the sludge. So I snuck up to him and killed him and everything worked as planned. My sword was nearly broken at that point - so I just threw it off a cliff. Then, I snuck up the circular stairs to the next floor, but a large enemy standing on that floor spotted me on the way up. So I then switched to a large heavy club, a weapon subtype which I usually disdain using, because I knew from experience that with a few hits I'd be able to knock that large enemy off balance into the sludge, trivializing the encounter, keeping me from having to use a defense potion since I've got four measly hearts, and saving a few weapon hits on top of it all. And so I did. He dropped his own spiked club with the second hit before going sailing off of the platform, and I picked it up without thinking about it, because I had an open slot. I saw a metal crate nearby which would have supplies in it, and I destroyed it with that spiked club, because - out of necessity and experimentation - I found out for myself that spiked weapons function the same way as the weak sledgehammers I used to be more inclined to hoarding. Little considerations like this permeate all of my combat decisions, and it's partly because of weapon degradation, having to utilize everything available to me as I acquire it, that I'm able to engage the tools I have in a more informed, creative, and effective fashion. And as I noted, I'm still pretty early into the game, but I've got 12 weapon slots now which wasn't a hard bump and it's trivialized weapon management.
[...]it's frankly better to throw caution to the wind, use up all your shit, and pick up the drops with this game. I only hold on to elemental rods, everything else is recyclable, especially since I've been crafting food and potions efficiently too. And when you're using food and potions effectively, pretty much every drop is effective insofar as its archetype's specific qualities apply to the situation at hand.

I'm better at the game, I use my weapons far more effectively now, and while I don't have a tendancy to hoard specific weapons because I think the game plays better when I don't, I can still manage my weapon degradation better after being made to experiment with the other tools and combat options at my disposal, too. I sort of look at weapons like they're expendable special ammo, with their own particular functions, for the omnipresent 'weapon' that is Link's arms. If that makes any sense. Barreling through loads of weapons is like having a constantly adapting and evolving suite of tools at my disposal at all times, especially moreso now that I'm exploring further and there's no shortage of good shit around.

I need to play more but so far the only problems I really have are the performance in towns (hardly a dealbreaker and playing on Wii U), wish their were more musical themes instead of just always ambient (which while nice, I would like something in between the two), and the Shrines look too samey and don't offer the same variety and charm of a typical Zelda game and sometimes don't feel rewarding enough. While I really enjoy climbing as a mechanic, I wish it offered more variety and challenge, it's not entirely engaging.

I'm a firm believer that I am often way more critical of the things I love though, and I am so in love with this game. I honestly haven't been so grabbed by a game in a long while... and it's a really nice feeling. There's such a compelling allure to Breath of the Wild and it's hard to put my finger QUITE ON what it is...

samn

The boss battles are incredibly easy. Just spam bomb arrows. Which is great because I don't much like boss battles.

While I really enjoy climbing as a mechanic, I wish it offered more variety and challenge, it's not entirely engaging.

Ever since I figured out this little quirk, it's made climbing a bit more engaging (in the sense that now I more carefully plan out a path up a cliffside, looking for all the spots where I can clamber instead of climbing to regain stamina, before I commit) and a whole lot faster (even without the speed potions I'm basically constantly using). All you do is hit (B) or (X), whatever your release - not jump - button is, while holding forward on the analog stick. You'll fall back a little bit, start clambering to climb again, and regain stamina all the while.

The boss battles are incredibly easy. Just spam bomb arrows. Which is great because I don't much like boss battles.

Where have you been finding bomb arrows? I can't find them for shit.

Exuro

After beating the game I think my biggest issue with the game is the lack of enemy variety, which makes areas with vastly different environments still feel the same. If they had unique enemies per region I think I would appreciate the world more.

bibs

I bought the Switch and Zelda day 1 and while I'm enjoying the game, I don't think I've been into it as many other people have since I can go days without playing and am distracted with other games on my Switch.

Same here actually.
I haven't encountered anything dungeon-like in the overworld.
Maybe some folks have a different idea of what "dungeon-like" means or something.
When I think of dungeon-like I think of places like Lanayru in SS; where you have to work with the time-shift stones to briefly breath the past's life into the present's dead environment, or use bombs to knock down walls to create platforms, or use the beetle to drop bombs on shelled enemies in order to cross a pond of deadly quicksand, all in succession of each other- like a traditional Zelda dungeon.
The most I've had to worry about in BotW's overworld is "Am I going to die because this place too cold/hot", "Are these monsters going to one shot me?", and "Do I have enough food to make the long trip??". Those are the only formidable obstacles attempting to thwart the player, the vast majority of environmental obstacles can be completely circumvented because that's the whole point of the game.
Not sure how they heard these dialogue lines in the studio and thought they sounded okay.

I'm thinking that VO was most likely a pretty late addition; No matter how well-written or charming it manages to be, plot/story comes second to compelling game mechanics and systems with LoZ.
They probably just didn't plan to have the time or money to wring really good performances out of these actors.

Top Bottom