• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lot of Altus PS2 classics seem discounted

Hektor

Any recommendations on Stella Deus?

Coincidentally i have been playing this game this week for the first time.

It's a fun but very basic SRPG. The story is uninteresting, the voice acting is HORRIBLE and the game got like 8 enemy types, but in its core it works and is decently entertaining

Taruranto

Get Raidou 2 people (I know you didn't play it...), it's one of the best action RPG ever and really often forgotten.

I finished almost all of those. I definitely recommend Devil Summoner 2. One of the best PS2 RPGs that got released a little too late sadly.

edit: my ranking:

1. Persona 3 FES
2. Persona 4
3. SMT: Raidou vs King Abaddon
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
6. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
7. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

Rymuth

Coincidentally i have been playing this game this week for the first time.

It's a fun but very basic SRPG. The story is uninteresting, the voice acting is HORRIBLE and the game got like 8 enemy types, but in its core it works and is decently entertaining
Doh. Thought it could have been a hidden gem

Ya I saw this a few days ago. Though I see these games go on sale pretty often, I think it's about time I actually grab a few of em.

ar4757

I bit the bullet and bought all Megaten games I didn't have yet on psn recently besides Persona 4 because I own Golden.

Real excited for Nocturne but I think I'm gonna wait until after P5, maybe this summer. Knee deep in Yakuza 0 and Zelda

I've only played Persona 4 golden out of the SMT series and spin offs , I'm looking for another RPG to play between now and P5s release . What's the best option out of these?

I think I'm gonna give up waiting for EP's fan translation and just get the psone version from psn.
Really pisses me off that we never got the PSP version.

I've only played Persona 4 golden out of the SMT series and spin offs , I'm looking for another RPG to play between now and P5s release . What's the best option out of these?

Since you'll be playing P5 soon give mainline SMT a shot. Nocturne is the best game in the franchise.

Opa-Pa

These are pretty common but it never hurts to bring some attention to them. Fantastic games all around, I own pretty much everything except Stella Deus and Grownlancer.

I like SMT Nocturne the most out of these, but seeing as you played P4G, P3FES seems like the most obvious choice. It's as lengthy as P4, though.

Digital Devil Saga is quite short (and good!) but it ends in a massive cliffhanger that will make you want to start the sequel right after.

Digital Devil Saga 1 is the shortest RPG on the list (and really damn good) but if you intend to buy P5 on day 1, you gotta hurry up. Buy now, play later honestly. DDS1 can be finished in like 25h but the optional content is amazing and adds another 10-15h of gameplay which you shouldn't miss.

And if you rush through DDS, the end game gets damn hard. Well harder than P3 or P4 for instance.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I played P4 for the first time through one of these sales. I absolutely do not regret my decision as it became one of my favorite games of all time.

Aside from P3 and P4 I actually own the Growlanser game. I saw it in a local music shop of all things. They had some PS2 games I never even heard of (hell, they were selling PS2 games which was amazing on its own). In any case, I think I paid some 8$ as I was interested only for the fact that it was a JRPG.

Man, that game does NOT make a good impression. I think it's a 2006 or 2007 game that has graphics rivaling PS1 and a really clunky battle system. The artwork is strange and, at times, horrendous, the voice acting is lol and the story seems like no big deal.

But since it was one of the only things I had that summer since my PS3 kicked the bucket I continued playing it and what got me far to the game was the actual story premise and how it turns around some hours in.
The whole bit of your original main characters basically becoming Death Star UN in order to keep the peace was interesting and I wanted to see where it lead

Despite its incredible shortcoming, and the fact that I didn't actually beat it, I actually ended up having a good amount of fun with the game. I don't know if I could recommend it though, unless you're looking for something really different.

Since you'll be playing P5 soon give mainline SMT a shot. Nocturne is the best game in the franchise.

I like SMT Nocturne the most out of these, but seeing as you played P4G, P3FES seems like the most obvious choice. It's as lengthy as P4, though.

Digital Devil Saga is quite short (and good!) but it ends in a massive cliffhanger that will make you want to start the sequel right after.

Digital Devil Saga 1 is the shortest RPG on the list (and really damn good) but if you intend to buy P5 on day 1, you gotta hurry up. Buy now, play later honestly. DDS1 can be finished in like 25h but the optional content is amazing and adds another 10-15h of gameplay which you shouldn't miss.

And if you rush through DDS, the end game gets damn hard. Well harder than P3 or P4 for instance.
Thanks so much, I have the time to play through the games as I'm not working right now so I'm going to look into Nocturne and DDS1. And I do plan on eventually playing P3.

Sophia

Crazy how almost every game in that list is worth playing, except maybe Stella Deus and Odin Sphere. And the only reason not to pick up Odin Sphere is because the remake exists.

Eolz

Sony and Nintendo both seem to have mostly given up on their old game digital delivery services with this generation, which is a real shame.

Yeah...
Sony did some good announcement with the PS2 classics on PS4, despite not having any discounts for previous owners, then it just stopped.
Nintendo had some nice titles, then more or less stopped, leading people to believe it was leading to a nice VC for Switch. But now, no news about the VC for Switch outside of "it's coming later".
At least we know for the latter they will add titles regularly when it's time to do it, but seems we'll never get the golden age of the Wii VC ever again, or even the good efforts on PS3 :/

I wish Atlus ported games on PC.

Who doesn't ahah. Really missing a nice market, especially since there's more and more JP games on Steam and they are working pretty well, despite the lack of a lot of big names like Atlus could bring.

Opa-Pa

Aren't the stories related? How much would I miss if I skip the first one?

They are. I wouldn't say the first is required though, /but/ I believe it has the most charm and better story, and while the combat is indeed inferior, it's not bad, just average.

Taruranto

Aren't the stories related? How much would I miss if I skip the first one?

Not really. If anything it feels like the first barely happened, they retcon
Gotou's
fate and the characters literally re-introduce themselves at the start of Raidou 2 like they never had this grand adventure. I remember it being quite bizzare actually lol.

I think there are some cameos in some side-quests, but Raidou 1 is so poor it is not worth sitting through it. The main quest is 100% unconnected.

Ashilyn

The Digital Devil Saga games are top tier RPGs, if occasionally a bit on the bullshit side. The encounter rate is kind of out of control too. But besides those they are wonderful games, some of the best RPGs on the PS2. DDS1 is the better of the two, but the second one is a direct continuation and is a fantastic game itself.

If you've never played them, buy them ASAP. For $10 total for the pair it's too good to pass them up.

The Digital Devil Saga games are top tier RPGs, if occasionally a bit on the bullshit side. The encounter rate is kind of out of control too. But besides those they are wonderful games, some of the best RPGs on the PS2. DDS1 is the better of the two, but the second one is a direct continuation and is a fantastic game itself.

If you've never played them, buy them ASAP. For $10 total for the pair it's too good to pass them up.
Agreed. DDS1 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and easily my favorite Shin Megami Tensei.

Top Bottom