• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #59 - "Dream"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Cyan said:
Noooooooo...

The funny thing is it's actually a pretty good story.
Yeah actually it wasn't terrible. Sorta funny that it's stuck.

And to be fair (TM), Crow's gotten TONS better about the runway problems. Anyhoo,

I did my first draft of the piece, I can't say I care for it. It's just not the way I do things, I typically am very meticulous in planning and always start off with the major symbols I intend to use. Here with the stream of conciousness I just wrote. I don't care for it but it was a good exercise. I've promised myself to only do grammatical touch ups before submission.

Edit: Also I find it sorta funny that while the word limit is amongst the largest we've had a bunch of people haven't even come close to using it up.

And again, I'm SO relieved that the mods don't read these threads. THANK GOD!

Dresden

crowphoenix said:
I hope to go to grad school. I hope that while there, I can get an internship at a publishing house. As for my writing, I hope that I can one day write a story that makes the lady that got me into writing have a 'hats off' moment. I don't really want to be a great writer, like a Shakespeare. I want to be a Pratchett. I want to write fantastic characters that people will love.
That's pretty much how I feel. I mean, I want to be, say, a McCarthy or an Ishiguro, but it's such an unrealistic goal that I don't bother dreaming about it. Instead, I'd love to be able to just tell an entertaining story.

I think I'll have time for this entry tomorrow night. No homework and I'm almost done with the two stories I've been working on. Stream of consciousness--I'm going to finally finish that bottle of Seagram's and start writing. Looking forward to it. :D

AnkitT

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Maybe I just didn't understand high-school physics enough, but every other inference lead me to scratch my head. Now that I have some spare time, I can look back at Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and all their works. But the most mindfuck revelation of all to me was Young's double slit experiment. Fuckin' observance! Whenever I decide to "re-learn" these concepts, I think back on my school days. How different would my life be if I had studied physics as the college major? But then I break out of it, sitting in my classroom trying to figure out the percentage of naturally occurring Z-DNA coils.

Other times, I would picture myself in a white lab coat, working in a level 3 laminar air flow hood, making the next best recombinant bacteria strain. It's incredible how streamlined the process of protein production has become over the years, yet it still takes hard work. But what doesn't take hard work these days? Anyways, next step would be to purify the cultures by downstream processing. Losing sleep over months, maybe years worth of work finally producing the desired result maybe. A proud moment perhaps, or everything down the drain. Better not observe the result then(Thank you Heisenberg and Schrodinger!). But then I realize i'm at a friend's party and start drinking the cheap vodka.

I do not know how much knowledge about economics reading books like Freakonomics imparts, but during some moments I feel like I know everything there is to know about business. Macro and micro economics, brand loyalty, the tenets of advertising, all by looking up lectures online and reading up on the stock market. The distinction between correlation and causation is pretty damn important, not only in business, but also in data interpretation regarding scientific research. But I still don't understand what "derivatives" are, you know, the question Michael Moore asked in the documentary "Capitalism: A love story". Then I remember that I have to pay the rent and bills for this month.

Whenever I read a study on psychology, or read about different philosophies throughout the ages, thinking I can correctly comprehend these. Everyone from Aristotle, Pascal, Descartes, Satre, all the classical thinkers, I feel inspired by. What these people said has an impact on me. "Cogito ergo sum", or "I know that I know nothing", I feel humbled by these statements. Reading Berne and Harris on their 3 ego states, and the game theory is also very interesting, and helps me with my day to day interactions. Being overwhelmed by certain ideas, and rejecting others like Ayn Rand's objectivism, I begin to think myself as a scholar. But then I read the newspapers with headlines stating how psych majors are working as waiters in coffee shops.

I do not know which one of these daydreams is my real future. Which path will be chosen in reality? But the problem lies within my experience that choices are very heavily influenced by factors beyond our control. Does passion always outweigh comfortable positions? My thought has always been that even if I don't go into the fields themselves, I would still keep learning about new things in those fields still. Would that non-institution knowledge be enough though? I think it will. Out of all those potentially viable fields, I do not know where my passion lies. At this moment in time, I could go either way. Maybe I will choose a path just to be contrarian, you know, "The road not taken", but I don't think that's a rational choice to make. So the cognitive dissonance of dreams, which one to purge, which one to integrate in my life. All I know is that I will continue to gain knowledge, since my behavior, my core personality, my fascination of mortality and he fear of it, is all shaped by knowledge and the truth. After all, satiating oneself with his/her ultimate pleasure is the ultimate hedonistic dream.

One thing is for sure, i'm not destined to be a writer in any form.

Irish

Ashes1396 said:
Don't knock Janitors. Will Hunting was a janitor.

No, I really clean office buildings for a living. I like it, but I could be doing better. :D

Irish, dude, why not just write something crappy; don't you thrive on negativity? write about negativity, at the very least comment on the human condition or something as blasé as that. :p

I don't mind writing something shitty, I just have no ideas. I mean, I normally come up with about a dozen ideas for each theme, but I haven't gotten a single one for like the last three.

Dresden said:
That's pretty much how I feel. I mean, I want to be, say, a McCarthy or an Ishiguro, but it's such an unrealistic goal that I don't bother dreaming about it. Instead, I'd love to be able to just tell an entertaining story.

Short Story- Shirley Jackson
If I were ever to do a novel- Steinbeck

Never going to come close to either, but it's all good.

I think I'm going to write something completely different this time. Something I have no interest in writing or something really crazy and 'lol wut?'.

Ashes

Banned
Irish said:
No, I really clean office buildings for a living. I like it, but I could be doing better. :D

I don't think you got what I meant. Will Hunting was a genius in Good Will Hunting.
Maybe you should put your self in an geniuses shoes and walk around in them, you might see the world differently.

Irish

Ashes1396 said:
I don't think you got what I meant. Will Hunting was a genius in Good Will Hunting.
Maybe you should put your self in an geniuses shoes and walk around in them, you might see the world differently.

Oh, I know. I just wanted to clarify that I used that job for a reason.

This is stream of consciousness and dream. If it makes total sense, something's gone wrong. I want to see some experimentation out of you, Irish.

Heck, if my head stops training to beat Micheal Phelps today, I'll just slap down whatever comes to my mind, edit it, and throw it at you guy like a hit and run clown.

ronito

crowphoenix said:
This is stream of consciousness and dream. If it makes total sense, something's gone wrong. I want to see some experimentation out of you, Irish.

Heck, if my head stops training to beat Micheal Phelps today, I'll just slap down whatever comes to my mind, edit it, and throw it at you guy like a hit and run clown.
That's the perfect time to write Crow. Makes for some interesting reading.

"Why don't the purple spiders just shut up! I know they want their coffee but I'm trying to tell a story!."

That's why I've taken to keeping a bag of coffee beans with me when I write. It solves the problem, releases stress, and is a tasty snack when I need that bitter taste of awake.

Well, I wrote something. I pretty much just opened my brain and just let it all fall where it was. I think I was channeling a bit of Timedog and Ronito here. But we'll see how it looks once I clean it up a bit? I guess?

Iceman

three more hours until writing time.. I have no idea what I'm going to write.. but it's going to get writ.

ten.

Ashes

Banned
I keep thinking that I have to go home and finish of the story. It's a bit of a relief having done it before my current shift started.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The Stationary Traveler
Word Count: 761

“I’m Mr. Danger, hotshot…” He said while hover surfing through the cloud beneath me, mist still billowing off of Him as His board reached the height of my cliff. He grabbed my hand and led me downward in the sky at a most tubular speed. His smile seemed to take up half His head, and I could feel its gleaming white presence despite right now only seeing the back of the man’s skull. He pulled me into unknown depths beneath the clouds, His volleyball sunglasses were radical in the most awesome spectacle. That red jumpsuit was wildman as hell. This is the coolest dude on the globe. I smiled too, and breathed in the pungent orange air of sundown through my nostrils. This is heaven, I thought as we both got pitted in the tube of some gnarly nimbus curl.

He looked back and smiled at me with the most gorgeous aura. Pink and black, baby, understated, loud, calm, outrageous. We descended past the cloud cover, into clear and towards an island a thousand-million miles away. I took in every indulgence, my hand quivered holding His as I was lead toward a giant ring of molten earth, the ultimate display of power on the globe. Still holding hands. Perfect.

The volcanoes looked almost docile from thousands of feet in the air, but soon enough we were deep in the shit, from air to land in-an-instant. The lava sprayed above us in glowing red bouquets and we chuckled together righteously. Hahahahahahahaha, we laughed. Mr. Danger removed the volleyball shades, looked directly into my being, telling of millions of adventures with his eyes.

Even in the intense heat, with plumes of molten rock exploding all around us, I could smell His essence, and He noticed the difference in my grip.

“It’s not a crime to smell incredible.” It was His second sentence, and the last words He would ever speak to me.

Mr. Danger gripped my hand harder and we plunged deep into the Pacific. Deeper, deeper, deeper towards the bottom. I couldn’t breathe, and suddenly I didn’t need to. The embrace of our hands was simply enough. I saw whales and fish and squid and all manners of aquatic life. We reached pitch black and I felt earth again. The sand was hard, compacted by the great pressure, it felt like glassy pavement. In the black my other senses reached out like spider legs to map out my surroundings. Gnarly. My senses were veins that grew randomly in every direction reaching out and connecting to all nearby life, Algae and bacteria were alive inside my mind, and I felt the sorrow and the ecstasy of the sea.

Cowabunga! We exploded out of the ocean wet and sexy and with hearts blossoming radically with the love of everything. I was dry soon enough as we landed in a corn field somewhere in North America. Mr. Danger took hold of my other hand and looked into my eyes again. Both of us in harmony, big time. His touch, His smell, His imagination, His face—they were some wild rip current that pulled my face closer to His. Our lips touched. Killer.

Literally. The moment our lips touched, mine lit up like the end of a cigar. Once my lips were gone, the fire spread to the rest of my face. It didn’t hurt, not even a little bit, yet before my eyes charred over I looked at Mr. Danger in panic. Weathered, worldly eyes assured me everything would be okay. Then there was that blackness again. My senses as instincts shot out in every possible direction. I fell to my back, sunk deep into the earth, and the last thing I remember hearing was what sounded like massive amounts of popcorn popping—the entire field. Little white roses for my funeral procession.

Mr. Danger ascended towards a set of thrones at the edge of space. On one throne, a gigantic being sat, almost as if He’d never stood.

“Come here, Son” Mr. Danger’s Father muttered.

“Yes, Father?”

“Have you been out cavorting with man again?”

“…yes, Father.” His eyes traced the floor, sheepishly.

“This again. I had so many plans for You, Son. You were their salvation. This type of behavior does not become our kind. You have shamed me once again, and I rebuke you.”

The Father’s face sunk into His hands, His glowing eyes still visible through the magnificent fabric of his awesome flesh.

“Jesus, you are my greatest elation, my finest creation, and as you well know, my biggest disappointment.”

ronito

Looking down the barrel of a loaded gun demonstrates the best definition of "black hole" one could ever have. The barrel stares back at you, seeming to suck everything into it until nothing exists other than you, the barrel and your heart beating in your ear. And soon you and your heart beat will be gone, and only the barrel would remain.

This wasn't the first time I stared down the barrel of a gun, one doesn't get to be as rich as I was without making more than a few enemies. I took a deep breath and looked at the man holding the gun in my face. Balding, crying, fat, he obviously was a man that life happened to and not one that made his own circumstances. I had been threatened with worse by better.

I looked at my watch, it was 3:42pm. If my broker had followed my instructions, and he always did, my sale of CC Pharmaceuticals stock would've taken place twelve minutes ago. According to my calculations, that would be about a $10 million return. It was admittedly not great, but when taken into account that the sale of my stock would put the company in a perilous state leaving it ripe for the pickings by my private equity firm at a fraction of the prior cost, well then the return would be worth it.

I looked at fat bald man holding his gun in my face and forced myself to calmly assess the situation. I studied the gun. The safety was still on. I almost laughed aloud. I had him.

"Do you know how much I paid for this watch?" I asked, raising it up and showing it to the man.

"Fuck you and your watch." The fatty said shoving his still safety locked gun closer to my face.

"It's a Rolex Oyster edition. These go for...oh I'd say north of 50k. Wanna know how much I paid for it?"

The fatty pressed his gun against my head. But I continued on coolly. A shark pays no mind to guppies.

"Nothing. I paid nothing." I said.

The pressure from the gun lightened a little as a puzzled look came across the man's face.

"Yeah, Nothing." I continued. "I went to the jewelery store, tried it on and just left. What could the store owner do? Say that one of New York's richest men had just robbed him? He knew I could destroy him and his shop just to have something to do."

"You did the same thing to me you bastard!" The blubbering mess said in front of me waving his gun around. "You took my company. You swooped in when we were having some minor liquidity problems, promised to make things better then broke it up and sold the parts to the highest bidders."

I leaned back in my chair, "And what if I did? Friend, it's just a company."

"That was my dream!" The man said as new tears erupted from his eyes.

I stood up slowly and spoke in an equally slow voice, "That was business and in business you do what makes you the most money. Your company was in shambles and worth more in parts than it was whole. You and your leadership board should have seen that earlier and done it yourselves. You didn't, so I did it for you. Here's a lesson, give up this naive idea of 'dreams' and focus on the cold hard facts. 'Dreams' don't keep you fed."

"Fuck you! My wife left me because she felt I sold too early." The man behind the gun yelled.

"Here's another lesson: Never trust anyone you don't pay."

A chubby hand pushed me over and I fell into my chair.

"I'll fucking kill you!" The man blurted.

"And then what? What will that do? Your wife will still be gone and you'll be in jail. This lack of thinking is what got you here in the first place. I can do favors for you. Give you money. Power. Anything. Kill me and sure your revenge might be sated, but you'll be paying for it the rest of your life. Leave me alive, and it can pay you for the rest of your life." I tried to keep the annoyance of showing in my voice. I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

I suppressed a smile as the gun's resolve wavered and began to fall before it snapped back up.

"Like what?" He asked wiping tears from his cheek with the sleeve of his shirt.

I knew I had to go big, there was no point in holding back.

"How's about a partnership? That'd get your wife's attention back I'd wager." I said.

The gun's resolve was tested again, it began to sink.

"Full partnership?" He asked.

"Full partner."

The gun lowered even further. "Well...." He began, "How do I know you'll keep your word?"

I pointed at my phone said, "I can call my lawyers right now. You can bring your own if you wanted."

The man still looked dubious.

"Here, I'll call them now." I said.

I leaned forward to dial the number, instead my fingers clamped on the fat man's shirt and pulled him forward with all my strength. The clumbsy man sprawled onto my desk. Quickly I reached into a drawer and pulled out my gun and pointed it at the fatso's head.

The man began to blubber again, his tears fell to my desk. "You...you said..." He sobbed.

I took the man's gun from his hand, "Like I said," I began as I switched off the safety, "Never trust anyone you don't pay."

There was a loud crack as the gun fired and the man's brains began to spill all over my desk.

I turned on the TV. CC pharmaceuticals was already down almost five percent, and by my calculations by the morning it would be down by almost thirty.

I walked back to my desk and toggled the intercom.

"Elise, call Sargent Malsance seems our visitor...er..."

"Mr. Johanson." Elise's voice replied.

"Yes, Mr. Johnson has committed suicide." I replied.

"Oh my that's terrible." Elise said. The obviously feigned concern in her voice told me that I'd have to buy her something nice. Good help was hard to find, and harder to keep.

I walked to the windows. The police would arrive shortly do a cursory investigation mainly for appearances and in the morning I'd have a new desk and the acquisition of CC Pharmaceuticals would begin. Stories and stories below me amidst people that looked like ants the wall street bull gleamed like gold in the sun.

Dresden

In Retrospect

In retrospect leaving her behind was probably a terrible idea. The thought of her plentiful flesh slapping against his with their flaps all crumpled together like two wadded up balls of used toilet paper kind of pissed me off as well. But as I drove away in my van it was so beautiful to see her cry, as I left her behind, our roles finally reversed.

The van was a bulky thing to drive and the fact that it was loaded up with all the stuff I'd accumulated in our--no, her--home over the years didn't help. It had rained and water ran down in little rivers down the sides of the street before vanishing, tumbling, into the sewers. As I drove the local high school football game on the radio kept going on and on with no end in sight, fourth down, inches from the goal line, some brat bound for a pork factory pounded it in while concussing three other players along the way. And when I turned the corner with the van slipping dangerously to the side her plump form finally disappeared, gone, and it was like I'd turned a new page in my life.

But when I got to my apartment a vague sense of disappointment began to weight in my mind. What had I done. A fog of worry clouded over me as I unloaded the boxes from the van. Old board games and dusty fantasy tomes piled on the kitchen counter as I got my PC out of the car and up into the room. A window with three iron bars served to let in what sunlight there was, with the rain long past gone now. I set up the PC and the reassuring noise of Windows Vista booting up helped me get used to the ambiance of the apartment. I lay on the bed and listened the whirring noise of the faulty fan rattling its way through the boot up process as in the distance warbled sirens from all the passing police cars. And I thought about the woman I'd left behind and how pitiful she'd looked as I drove away in my van. But I suppressed whatever pity I felt for her with a vengeful reminder of just why I'd left her, and the implied images of her fucking with that fat fuck like two overstuffed ducks on a turgid tureen of soup, bobbling up and down in the thick gravy with their genitals all entangled and mashed together.

I ended up rousing myself off the bed before it got dark. I went back down to the van to check if I'd locked it; I had. When I got back in the sun was setting and long clumps of shadow began to spread out from all the garbage I'd stacked everywhere, ready to be unpacked. It was such a pitiful moment and I pictured her waddling from each pile, smiling, as she helped me set everything up and there I almost gave up. it would be so easy to bend and take it. So easy to go back.

Instead I went to the kitchen and slit open one of the smaller boxes. Inside was half a bottle of Wild Turkey that I'd yet to drink. I opened it and took a gulp. It was high school all over again with that awful shit burning its way down my throat. A tipsy carefree attitude began to unfurl in me like a flag declaring my independence, and I took another gulp as I lurched over to my bed. And there I lost myself, willingly, as that awful fucking vision of my girlfriend walloping herself with my brother filled my dreams. She curved her back like an overweight swan as he worked his way in like a determined miner seeking some dark treasure. Fuck you, I muttered, as I drained the bottle. Half of it ended up on the bed and I stank of booze as I fell asleep. Fuck you.

Cyan

Banned
Pursuit (1089)

His feet pounded down the pavement, slapping against the concrete, slipping and sliding in their too-loose shoes, a sound of rushing air coming from behind.

The city was empty, like a bomb had gone off or a man with a giant eraser had smudged out all the people. There was nothing but empty road ahead of him, empty road where there should have been cars and buses and men going to work and women in dresses and all the other things you'd expect on a Monday in London. The emptiness taunted him, told him that however far he ran, however hard he looked, there would be nothing and no one who could help him. No one to stop the thing that pursued.

He chanced a look over his shoulder. He saw nothing, of course, but out of the corner of one eye he saw a flicker of movement, a dash of blackness in the air, the hint of a figure that might have been a man dressed in a black robe, or that might have simply been a wisp of smoke. It vanished when he looked directly at it. He pounded on down the pavement.

His breath was coming fast now, rattling in and out of his lungs. How much longer could he keep running at this speed? He'd never been one for fitness; he'd always laughed at runners with their scrawny legs and their puny frames, hopping along from foot to foot and trying to keep some sad remnant of their youthful fitness. If only he'd done the same, he could run faster now. Run longer. Stay ahead of his pursuer.

He had no goal in mind, had simply taken off dashing down the pavement, his only aim to be elsewhere. Somewhere the pursuer was not. It was a foolish hope; the pursuer was everywhere and everything.

He gasped for breath as he ran, his coat streaming out behind him, his glasses bouncing on his nose, his laces beginning to come untied. A large square spread out before him and he pounded in. Where were all the people? Gone, gone, leaving nothing but empty, silent pavement, a low breath of wind, and the dirty smell of urine on concrete. Something about that last nagged at him, but he couldn't stop to think. Not now, when the air rushed behind him and he could almost hear the whispers of the figure, the man, the smoke, the thing that chased and never tired.

He took another glance over his shoulder. Again, he saw nothing, just an ephemeral glimmer in the corner of his eye that withered on being looked at.

His foot caught on something, a brick or a rock or a bag or for God's sake a mobile phone, but he windmilled his arms and spared himself from sprawling headlong onto the pavement. His next two steps were crooked things, with him bent nearly to the ground, flailing his arms, keeping himself from falling by sheer willpower, but he kept his balance and lifted his torso and got back into stride.

The thing that pursued him was catching up. He could feel its cool breath on the back of his neck, forming goosebumps where it touched. He could hear the roar of its passage, the whisper of its voice, piercing his skin and his bones and diving through his ear canal.

Why do you run?

"Why do you chase?" His breath still came in gasps, but he found he had no difficulty speaking. His voice rode over and around his breath, formed words without benefit of air or need of energy.

Do you know where you are?

He pounded out of the square, into a side street. Here the streets were cobbled, and the storefronts were close to the road, shoe shops and toy shops and chippies and pubs and faux-old-fashioned tourist-trap inns, and he saw them all and dismissed them, empty empty empty all. "London," he said, and immediately doubted himself.

Are you sure?

He wasn't. His feet flew over the cobbles. "Leave off, and I'll decide where in hell I am."

Where are you?

"I--I don't know." He was in London, wasn't he? A London without people or animals--or rain--but London nonetheless. The streets, the skylines, the character of the buildings, all were London, even if he didn't know where exactly in the city he was. Only one city looked like this.

How did you come here?

His mind churned, a ship in heavy fog. How had he come here? All he could remember was running through the streets of London, running from this nameless thing that pursued, always pursued, never stopping or resting. All he remembered was terror driving him on, moving his feet and giving wing to his body. There was no point in his memory that marked an arrival, no single point, in fact, at all, merely an endless sea of running, always running.

What is your name?

A tear came to his eye. Why did the pursuer torment him so? Its cold breath tickled his neck, and he put on a fresh burst of speed, though his lungs burned and his side threatened to burst open. "I don't know." Had the pursuer stolen his name along with his memories? Perhaps it even now controlled his mind, erasing his sight and hearing and touch so that he seemed to be alone on the streets of London. Perhaps he truly rushed along like a madman, screaming at nothing and frightening the mums and children, causing the shopkeepers to lock their doors and nervously rattle the bolts, getting odd looks from the buskers and shoppers and those just out for a walk.

Is this real?

He nearly stumbled again. Now the pursuer echoed his thoughts, just as it surely would if it really were inside his mind. But what could he do about it if it was? He pounded down the cobblestones, a lone object in motion in a sea of rest.

Wake up.

The whisper lanced into his brain. Wake up? It sounded so true, so easy. He could wake up, free himself. He could plunge into the Thames, shock himself awake; stop running and turn at bay, dare the pursuer to do what it would; he could break his conscious mind free of this delusion. Cold breath touched his neck, feet pounded on cobblestones, breath rattled in and out of his body. All he had to do was give up, stop running, end the torment.

Wake up.

"No." Feet pounded on.

Iceman

I saw a field of grass like an island in an impossibly large ocean. Grand stands towered on either side like gigantic tombstones, barren and cold. The entirety of the universe hung above my head like an uncountable army of fireflies. The sky seemed to shrug under the weight of the stars, stuffed and swollen. I saw a meteorite streak across the sky. It was slow and silent but it tore the sagging night in half. The pregnant belly ruptured open and its full contents spilled over my entire world. The stars fell in mass, plunging into the grass all around me. Each concussion lifted clods of dirt and grass fifty feet into the air. The tombstones cracked, crumbled and toppled into the sea. A saltwater mist mixed with the freshly upended dirt. The field tilted and groaned. I leaned away from the tilt and panicked as I saw the edge of my world sinking into the deep blue. I grasped onto the blades of grass in a struggle to keep myself from the bottomless cold. We lurched further into the water as the sky continued to rain fire. A voice echoed across the chaos. It called my name.

“Tre,” it repeated.

The streaks of shooting stars skipped for a moment and then slid off the side, leaving yellow and orange smudges against the absolute black. It blurred into a bright white light.

I jumped up in my seat to find Freddy elbowing me. I stared right at him trying to make sense of everything. “Famous” Freddy Flash was my wide receiver and my best friend. We came from the same puny town in nowhere Texas where all we’d do was pretend to be Montana and Rice. I remember throwing a brick at him on a curl route and catching him right in the face. Good thing those weren’t his permanent teeth. Still, the scar across his cheek was never going to go away. He smiled at me like he did that day in the hospital, mouth mostly full of dried blood and black stitches across half of his face.

“You awake, Tre? You know we have a game in five minutes, right?” he said.

I always tended to doze off when I was stressed. It was like my body dropped my blood pressure to keep my heart from exploding. As the blood rushed back to my brain I could make out the surroundings. Coach Creighton was yelling at all eighty five of us, no individual word discernable over the pure volume, his face red with exasperation. He pointed emphatically at a blackboard full of x’s, o’s and an infinite number of lines and arrows connecting them all. He circled on particular X, threw the chalk at the ground, smashing it into a dozen pieces and then violently directed us out of the locker room, throwing a chair at the door to make sure we all headed in the same direction.

The team hustled to the hallway, bottle-necking at the double doors. I was the smallest man of the group, not able to see over the rest of the shoulder pads. Numbers 92, 96, and 99 were in front of me: “Little” Lee Williams, “Baked” Bobby Blue and “Jolly” James Joliet, the core of my offensive line. They made a habit to always staying in front me of no matter what I was doing. Their jerseys were as white - I stole a quick whiff - and as clean as they were going to be this night.

To my right was my rock, my go-to guy, Freddy Flash. He towered over me, leaving me behind in altitude our freshman year of high school. At six foot four, two hundred pounds, and as fast as his name teased, he was the perfect model of a wide-out. He had the softest hands I’d ever seen - I’d made sure of that by drilling them with thousands of footballs over the last ten years. He was bound for stardom, and he never let us forget it.

"We about to be famous, boys!" he yelled, inches from my ear.

He was right. Our small, unknown school had quietly put together its best season of football. We were undefeated and about to take on a Big Ten school for a chance at a major bowl game. Even still, we were shocked to find ourselves a Las Vegas favorite coming into this game. A win here would put us in the national picture, a chance for Freddy Flash to finally get the recognition he deserved, and maybe a chance for me to get a look from a pro team. But I dreamed. I put those thoughts away and focused on the jerseys in front of me and my best friend to my right. I wasn't going to let them down.

We slowly leaked into to the dark hallway. Our cleats rataplanned lightly on the cold concrete. It reminded me of the sound of hail against the walls of our trailer home.
We emerged from the tunnel into an alien world of bright lights, cables, cameras and screams. Freddy grinned at me like an idiot. I thought back to that first day we met; a snot nosed with a frayed shirt off in the far corner of our dirt schoolyard. He challenged me to a race with that same stupid grin. We haven't stopped competing since then; still the same two nobody kids throwing a deflated soccer ball at each other in the middle of a desert, alone. I turned to remind Freddy of that day only to not to find him. He was already sprinting to the field, his white helmet reflecting a million pinpricks of light.

The flashbulbs blended in with the bright starry sky. It seemed like the whole universe was watching us. The flashes strobed at a blinding speed as a football was blasted into the sky. The ball seemed to glow as it arced past constellations and finally fell into Freddy's arms he streaked like a comet, bounced like a dragonfly and finally crashed against the tsunami of opponents at midfield.

My name was called and I raced to midfield to meet my offense, already waiting for me in a circle. It was like those days playing duck-duck-goose; we would only ever pick each other and race around the classroom until we were forced to stop.

"Red option read, boys. Let's do this," I urged.

I tried to sound like a leader but I could hear my own voice breaking. A hand slapped me in the back. It was Freddy's.

"Let's go get paid," he said, with a wink, and then raced off to his position on the far right.

I walked up under center and then got a look at the play clock. It read two seconds. Shit. I called for the snap and turned to hand the ball. I heard the clapping of air getting crushed between the pads of titans. I reached the ball out to running back but found absolutely nothing; just a far off yellow goal post and whole lot of green. A brush against my back told me that the running back had ran to the left, off tackle. I had forgotten the play. But before I could pull the ball back and survey the field it was yanked from my hand. As a panic swelled I turned to find a white jersey with a big number one jetting away from me; Freddy Flash. I was pushed to the ground but when I had picked myself up I found us sitting at second and two yards to go. Freddy had turned that disaster into an eight yard gain.

Back in the huddle, I thanked everyone and slapped them on the helmets. My blood pressure began to sink. I felt calmer by the second. I looked up at the clock and it seemed as time had slowed to a crawl. I called a play action pass and told Flash to be ready for it. We broke and settled into formation. The flashbulbs were going nuts. As I looked over the field the flashes winked on and off slowly. The crowd had turned deathly silent - or I had gone deaf. All I could hear was my own steady breathing.

I grabbed the snap, turned, faked to the back and then looked downfield. Gotcha. The safety had joined the linebackers, abandoning the deep throw; his eyes were frantically looking for the running back. Further downfield, a tall man in a white jersey with a number one on it was putting an inside move on a smaller man in a red jersey. Freddy was going to be wide open, and with his speed I would need to put some air under the pass. I reached back and threw a bomb towards the right goal post. It left my hands as tight as any throw I'd ever made. In between the wrestling mammoths I could see Famous Freddy Flash, a lone defender stumbling in his wake, throwing his arms after number one desperately trying to prevent him from slipping away; the defender was about to fall. It was all on the throw. I could see the two objects on a collision course like a pure mathematical figure; a sine wave approaching the x-axis; music. He was going to be hit in stride.

The ball ricocheted between his two extended hands and pinwheeled harmlessly on the ground.

Freddy jogged back to the huddle shaking his head. I slapped it hard.

"Sorry, boys. Keep throwing to me, Tre," Freddy said, confident as ever.

"Extend the hands, Flash. You're better than everyone on this field. Just do the fundamentals and I'll get you ten touchdowns today," I said, with an honesty that can only be shared by family.

"Crossing rout, Flash. Make sure you get past the first down marker," I ordered.

At the line the defenders all bunched up, guessing run on third and short. I hiked the ball and went into a five step drop. Freddy ran a perfect square pattern through the defenders weak jam and streaked towards the heart of the field. I rocked on five and threw a laser at Freddy's chest. It was squeezed tightly between his hands. He turned to continue his route and was immediately laid out by a linebacker. The ball popped free and spilled on to the turf.

We jogged off the field to let the punt team take over. As I ran, shoulder to shoulder with my best friend I was beside myself. I opened up when we got to the sideline.

"Did you get past the first down marker, Flash?" I asked.

I couldn't contain my anger. I knew he ran his route short.

"He jammed me. I had to cut in short."

"Bullshit, Freddy. You got fifty pounds on that guy. He's nothing to you. You could have blasted him."

"Alright, Tre. No excuses, I'll destroy him."

"Atta boy," I said and slapped him on the ass.

I grabbed a Gatorade as the red jerseys slowly inched their way across the field against our outsized defense. I whispered to my backup to get me pictures of that last series. In a minute I had a full set of glossies in my hand. I flipped through the crossing route and saw the inescapable: Freddy made a beeline right for a linebacker. He wanted to run into a defender. Was he sabotaging our game?

No way, I thought. Not on this stage. Not with fifteen years of friendship on the line.

A field goal and a kickoff and we were on the field again. Freddy made some nice plays up the field, especially in the open on run plays, making the red jerseys look silly. He even made some amazing grabs in traffic for short gains. But on third down and on deep throws the ball would somehow find the grass. As the drops increased I went less and less to my best friend. But as I looked for viable options elsewhere on the team it all resulted in the same basic result: incompletions, punts and a couple of field goals.

I threw myself into the sideline huddles of the defense. They were playing heroically, and I knew that they were the only chance we had to win the game. The offensive line noticed my new allegiance and the increasingly Flash-less game plan and called me out. I took Little, Baked and Jolly to the side and told them that Flash was off today, that I couldn't trust him. They didn't buy that for a second and prodded me for more. At five foot nine it's not easy to ignore three giants; I told them I thought Freddy was sabotaging the game, probably for a payoff.

They were ready to tear Freddy's arms off. I had to talk them down and tried to work out a new strategy with the linemen.

After a halftime of angry, unintelligible screaming we attacked the red team with flurry of runs. We succeeded in keeping the game tight, by running off the clock and limiting the points to field goals. By the middle of the fourth quarter Freddy was onto us. But he didn't wan't to flat out admit anything so he was forced to play along and kept begging for the ball. I gave him empty promises and continued to run the ball. But a fumble gave the ball away to the red team in field goal range. With three minutes left, they ran three times and kicked a field goal to give them a six point advantage with less than two minutes left.

I didn't wan't to give Freddy a single touch in this last crucial drive. With one play he could guarantee a loss. I screamed at my line and my back, begging them to leave everything they had on the field. We needed to march eighty yards in as many seconds to have any shot at the national spotlight.

"For us seniors, this is our last shot. If we don't win this game, the NFL doesn't even know we exist. Do you want be somebody? Do you want keep playing football? Or do you want this to be the last game you ever play?"

As I let that thought sink in, I turned to Freddy. The enormity of the moment hit him as hard as any of the other guys. He looked at me with wide eyes, finally realizing the truth of what he was doing, not just to himself and to me, but the whole team. But in a second his eyes narrowed, defiant and proud.

"It's not too late, Flash. You can win this for us. Nobody else can."

"Let's go get paid."

Fuck.

A great block on the left side by a pulling Jolly gave us a huge twenty yard rush to the middle of the field. But the next few runs only brought us to a fourth an one near the thirty with only seconds left: one last play. I bit the bullet and called a play action throw.
"I will catch it, Tre. I promise you, bro."

I wanted to believe him with everything I had. But could I hang the dreams of everyone else on that hope? I was about to find out.

As I approached the line, the cameras continued to strobe from the monolithic slabs to the right and left, completely unaware of the internal strife tearing a family apart before their eyes. Above, the sky seemed closer, the stars bigger. The field had been torn to hell, huge clumps of grass upturned from the scores of skirmishes over the last two hours.

I received the snap, turned and faked. That idiot safety was lost again - twenty runs in a row might have something to do with it though - and Freddy had already torn off his defender's jam and had the inside step. I began to rear my arm back and checked it.

Before I knew what was going on I was on the run. I was passing the line of scrimmage with no one around me for miles it seemed. I looked across to my line and stared at my center, Baked. What the hell was I doing? He looked back with a similar expression, "what the hell are you doing?" he seemed to say.

I turned and faced my first obstacle: the red cornerback. After years of racing with Freddy, I had picked up a lot of his moves. A quick shoulder fake shook him to sideline. A fierce mountain of a linebacker was on an intercepting path to behead me. I faked a throw to the middle of the field and he jumped in the air to block the pass - purely out of instinct - falling behind me.

Ahead, Freddy was locked in a block with the strong safety. He saw me in the corner of his eye, turned and simply let go. The bastard!

I ran with a renewed rage and lowered a shoulder into the defender. I stepped over his falling body, stumbled and almost rolled but a lucky hand plant shot me upright.

All that was left was Flash. He seemed to grin... that stupid grin that challenged me to a race so many years ago. He sprinted for me, all two hundred pounds and four-four speed. The game, our friendship, our dreams: they were all going to die right here. Suddenly, something like an elephant ran through Freddy from the left and sent him sprawling off the field into the red jersey sideline - fitting, I thought. Little Lee Williams rolled and sprawled across the turf and yelled at me to run.

As the flashbulbs exploded across my universe I pumped my legs as fast as they could. The field began to tilt and I leaned my body towards the approaching goal line. The stars and flashes streaked across the sky. I stumbled and clawed at the grass to keep myself moving. I had to reach that line before I passed out. I reached out the football as far as possible, the crowd's screams reached a crescendo and the lights all blended together into a single canvas of white.

Cyan

Banned
Tangent's story:

"Just One Wish" (1665)

“Anything?”

“Anything. But just one – no more.”

Randolph thought for just a moment. “To read minds.” Before his brother could ask what he meant, since all animals could read all other animals’ minds, Randolph clarified. “Human minds.”

His brother’s eyes opened wide as if witnessing – in slow-motion – the ending of a suspenseful movie. Randolph waited, wondering, and hoping, that this was his brother’s entire reaction. But then his brother pulled back his neck and wrinkled his nose and whiskers, in disgust.

“That’s it? That’s it? I mean, I’m saying any power, Randy,” said Sebastian.

“Yeah. Wouldn’t it be so cool? Best super power ever. Then we could have conversations with humans all the time! Including conversations with Alex!” Randy looked away dreamily and swept his rat palms across the air. “Imagine!”

“Right. How glorious,” Sebastian rolled his eyes in thick sarcasm. But he didn’t let it go. He shook his head and threw up his arms. “I mean, you could fly! Or be invisible.” Sebastian paced the play pen as if preparing for a presidential speech. “Or rescue our brothers and sisters (if they’re still alive) from the streets … and perhaps they’d be adopted. And live the life of luxury just like us, with a great animal-loving kid – like Alex. Or maybe, you could learn how to ride a motorcycle, or chirp like a bird, or exterminate tics forever, or make fire… or – never mind.” Sebastian sighed deeply, as if in defeat. “It’s not a big deal.” He just wanted to grow excited with his brother, but sometimes he was just disappointed in how Randolph, his own brother, could be endowed with such a stunted imagination. Talk to humans. Right. Not in a million years.

“Well, maybe you should try sending Alex pictures,” Sebastian mumbled under his breath to Randolph before he curled up in a corner of dried popcorn, hay, and chewed up cardboard in his corner of their pen.

Sending pictures was a standard way of animal-to-animal communication, but (non-human) animals, as far as legend goes, was never able to communicate with humans. Randolph was told that humans were primitive animals. Randolph’s grandfather was a primatologist and through field studies, he observed that humans practically subside in the same position all day – and an awkward position at that – just staring at what Grandpa called, “small, glowing protrusions of walls.” Grandpa said humans’ days were extremely predictable with hundreds of mindless hard-wired routines. Humans made deep vocalizations between their lips when around each other. Some primate-hugging digital lovers theorized that the vocalizations had communicative intent. But it was a far-fetched theory to think any form of communication could occur given that little action arose between human “conversers” as a result of their low vibrating calls. In a nutshell, humans really didn’t have the mental capacity for communication.

Sebastian readjusted himself and reflexively cranked his neck to scratch his ear with his hind leg. “Talk to humans. Stupid,” Sebastian thought before at last falling asleep.

7 months later, at a psychiatrist’s office.

Dr. Sampson just opened her folder for “Alex Sutter” and refreshed her memory.
• 11th 1:1 session using play therapy
• 3 sessions using parent-child interaction therapy (PCIT)
• 1 school observation, 1 home observation…parent interview…
• Need to rule out psychotic disorder or pathological lying…
• Other concerns: losing ability to track time
• Home environment: Both parents. Intact household. Single-family home. 1 younger sister: Amelia.
• Hobbies: 2 pet rats, reading. Complete Redwall, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series collections. Videogames – top fav: “Pokemon Sapphire,” (pokéwalker = pedometer that synchs w/video game) “A Boy and his Blob,” and “Kirby Squeak Squad”
• “Patient seemed ready to explain hallucinations.”

Okay. Ready. Dr. Sampson looked at her watch. Times up. She invited Alex in from the waiting room. After a while, he sat on the ground, with his knees out in front of him, and his feet behind him and to the sides, with animal figurines scattered about the room. After a bit of warm-up, Alex leaned against the wall, stretched out his legs, and stared at his shoes before divulging:

“I know it sounds weird. I mean, people who don’t have pet rats don’t understand. They’re amazing. They’re smart, they’re clean, they learn tricks, and they make you laugh all the time. And they’re the only animal other than primates that also laugh – especially when you tickle them! I always thought it’d be cool if I could have a better connection with them. Like if I could really know what it’s like to be them, and if they could understand me better. But y’know, I was just thinking, ‘what if.’ That’s all.

“So. My rats. Randolph and Sebastian. Randy and Bastard for short. Anyway, well, so one day, I was playing around with them in the evening. Amelia too. We put them in the tub! I don't know if you know, but rats can swim. After that, I tucked them in their hammock downstairs. And I went to bed too – upstairs. But then I remember seeing Randy pick up my Pokémon Walker and shake it like crazy so that I would get extra points. Randolph was trying to help me out! Old Randy! So that I would know the next steps in my videogame! I ran downstairs in the middle of the night. My parents were still up, curled up on the couch with glazed eyes. They turned their heads to my stomping down the stairs, and looked confused about my heaving breaths. I guess it was just a dream. Right?

“I stopped in my tracks when I realized it was 2 am, and the rats were to my right, in the family room with my parents, by the TV, wrestling with each other. I don’t know if you know, but rats are nocturnal. So they don’t ever really stay in the hammock I tuck them into. Anyway. I went back to sleep for the night. But the thing is, Dr. Sampson, it wasn’t just a dream. I know that sounds like I’m crazy…. But in the morning when I woke up and grabbed the PokémonWalker to toss in my backpack along with my lunch, it turned out that my PokéWalker actually had over 300 extra steps! Randy helped me out!

“Another time, I had to collect deciduous leaves for a science project. I put it off. Rain. I know. Procrastination. But get this. Randy and Bastard were throwing leaves up in the air as if they found a treasure chest full of gold like Uncle Scrooge! They collected a whole pile! I was so proud of them, and so flattered that they’d do that for me. But I wanted to find out more.

“So… well don’t tell my parents this part. So, I …talked to them. I asked Randy why he did all this for me and he answered! I mean, I know. I know, Dr. Sampson: it was just a dream. But it felt real. And Randy answered my question. Not like how you’d expect from those Pixar movies with talking animals. In fact, he didn’t say a word. But he sorta, well, gave me some pictures of why he did all this. He told me through pictures. Pictures will tell you 1000 words, right? Rats are smart, I tell you! Efficient! He gave me these pictures right then and there, in the backyard, where all the leaves were, and where they stood, gloriously, on their mound. So it couldn’t have been a dream, right? But then I remember waking up and being in my pajamas. I dunno, Dr. Sampson. I get the times confused.”

Alex squirmed.

“What did the pictures convey to you, Alex?” asked Dr. Sampson.

“Well, Randy told me – er, showed me – that he got the leaves to show he understands me, and that he wanted to help me. Can you believe it?

“I know. This all sounds like I’m crazy. But I’m not hallucinating. I swear. I thought I could show my parents proof. And you. So, I tested it out. It’s sort of stupid. I mean, Amelia did this and drained the batteries on my phone. She wanted to catch Santa in the act. But this is different. This isn’t Santa. These are super-powered rats or something. So I videotaped them all night with my phone. But all I really saw, after watching the film for – I dunno – eight hours the next day over a long weekend, were them sleeping, wrestling, grooming, and hopping around. Normal pet rat stuff.”

“Later – I dunno how much later – I got sick from staying up all night and trying to see them create dreams for me with my own eyes. Since the video-taping didn’t work. Then, I got sick from staying up. I had to stay home from school. And then my parents thought it’d be more likely that I’d hallucinate since I got some nasty flu by staying up for 40 hours straight. But wouldn’t you do that if your pocket pets were talking to you? I swear. They’re talking to me, Dr. Sampson! Don’t tell anyone. I’m not crazy. I don’t need drugs. You can’t stop us, Randy and I. And Bastard. And I’ve gotten to know my rats so much better. I mean we tell each other everything. I can bring them in. You can talk to them too. Or maybe my sister could talk to them. Maybe only kids can. Maybe it’s like a Polar Express thing but it’s not that bullshit fake stuff. I’ll bring Amelia next time! I never thought of that! Gosh next time. It’s like in forever. Or maybe right away! Right? Can I? Can I bring Amelia? And my rats?”

Dr. Sampson took off her green-rimmed glasses and looked at Alex with regret. How to respond without revealing private health information…. Amelia was next door with Dr. Sampson’s colleague. Amelia was just given a diagnosis. Extreme and sudden zemmiphobia. Fear of rats.

Irish

Cold

Freezing

Damp

Soaking

Lila lay there wrapped in a heavy layer of wet sheets, unable to move. Sleet slithered free from the cluster of clouds above and sliced through the cotton cocoon the young girl was encapsulated in. After several seconds of strenuous struggle, little Lila finally freed herself from the juvenile jail. Slowly, she stood up, her nightgown soaked to the core. Bare feet slid about in the ice laced puddle before Lila fell face first into the murky mush. She quickly disappeared beneath the top layer of ice. Long she lingered there before bursting through the slushy surface, long blond hair .

Shivering, she climbed out of the lake and unzipped the flap to her tent. A sweet smelling breeze drifted past her nose as she hopped outside. Fire was attempting to flee its ringed cage mere feet from the edge of the tent. Several metal rods were propped against the ring, a marshmallow roasting at each tip. Lila picked a fluffy bit up and popped it in her mouth, warmth filling her body. Contented, she sat down in her recliner and gazed into the raging inferno in the fireplace.

Snuggled up in her gray robe, Lila began to drift away. A knock on the heavy oaken door caught her attention and she quickly got up to answer it.

"Do you know where it's at?"

"I'm not ready to go yet."

"So, it's in the bathroom?"

"I'll have it to you by tomorrow."

"Whatever."

Laying in her soft bed, Lila felt the warmth drain from her. Moisture breaching her night shorts.

Don't question me. I thought it would be fun. Kinda ran outta time though.

weepy

Lori was her name...or at least that's what I think she said. This was the first time I heard her say her name. We've gotten quite close, “Lori” and I, but only in the twilight of night or the wee hours of dawn behind closed eye lids and under the hypnosis of deep sleep. She's become my literal dream girl. Over the past few weeks I've been perpetually dreaming of the smooth skinned, full lipped, amber- haired woman and each time I awake longing, wanting desperately to find out what my dreaming about her means and she means to me. My dreams about her was mostly never sexual. We would just shoot the breeze while strolling the park, or at a cafe discussing our favorite things, or at a beach chuckling at each others jokes; it was always different every time. What I find amazing, and admittedly sometimes vexing, was how vivid the dreams would get each time. I could remember the first time we've kissed, the softness of her lips pressed against mines, the closeness of our embrace. It usually ends with me waking and the longing continues.

(I really, really had a story going here. but alas, I had to cut it extremely short due to time constraint. I actually had a pretty neat setup for this too... )

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I edited after the deadline. I changed the word "penultimate" to "ultimate", because my story changed direction from where I was originally planning it to go. Feel free to disallow my entry.

Iceman

Timedog said:
I edited after the deadline. I changed the word "penultimate" to "ultimate", because my story changed direction from where I was originally planning it to go. Feel free to disallow my entry.

Full disclosure: I heavily edited after the deadline, adding about 2300 words in 102 minutes. But I still want to be considered.

ronito

Gentlemen, let's begin.

No,it'sMYRenaisance: A basic grammar and spelling check would have helped (EG: 'role her eyes). It's a beautiful moment. In such a short piece too much was made of the button.

Zephiroth: I know that this is going to cause all sorts of drama, but as a test, after I read your story I re-read it, and this time I only read every third sentence. I could still gleam most of what was going on even though I only read a third of it. I'll admit the second and third parts were sorta non-sensical, but the first section was entirely understandable. Also this is very much in the Zeph style, it's almost text book, anguished infatuation, the artistic struggel, all that. The second half of the last sentence was damned brilliant.

Iceman, you're WAY over on the word count. So I'm guessing you're not eligible to win but I'll still post feedback.

ronito

ZephyrFate said:
I'm pretty sure you can do that with any standard stream-of-consciousness story, dude.
To be fair, I've done that with other entries here and they don't make much sense at all. Further, this isn't the first time I've done it on one of your entries.

ronito

Tingle: Dude I've missed you. And while you come back in style, it's not efficient as you normally are so it takes a long time to get anywhere. But the tone is wonderful.

AshesAshesWeAllFallDown: Like I said, thank god the mods don't read these threads. It almost like it's two separate stories.

SlowYourFreakingSamusAvatarDown: Stay away from cliche sayings "Thank you very much." In such a short piece tone is very important. An example: Her boots were to die for. That doesn't really tell me anything. Something like "She had boots like a stripper and moves to match." That tells me a lot. As it is, it sorta sounds like a livejournal entry.

DavidCrossStillAintThatFunny: Stream of consciousness doesn't necessarily mean scatterbrain. This seems to lack a distinct unity.

Timedog: This was awesome. Very timedog-esque.

Ashes

Banned
Meus: With such short pieces, I think it's best to give more direct character identifiers so we know exactly what is going on and what we are meant to be seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if this story were misinterpreted by a skimming reader. Some writers don't care about reader-writer relationships, but I'm of the opinion that a better directed piece yeids a more a solid picture for the reader, allowing the reader a better read. The change in viewpoints for example could be done better, and the reveal of the grave was preceded by no real suspense. But fundamentally what I am talking about is showing not telling. "the pain in his eyes' is perhaps the best example. Show the pain rather then just state this. Show rather than tell, is what I am suggesting.

Zeph: There are no hard fast rules as such, but in my opinion, I think this to be more of a dramatic monologue rather then a stream of conciousness style. And I was let down soley because of the expectation of a stream of conciousness style. I may be in the minority but I just thought I'd tell you as one person of the audience about a portion of the audience expectation. The prose by itself had plenty of clear imagery, here I would say that your strength lies not in imagery for the sake of including imagery and metaphor but the part it plays in the story. For example, what does it say about the character? As a reader, I would have appreciated cutting down on excess verbiage though, even when I realized that that by it self, said something about the MC. I'm not sure about what ronito said myself, so I'll stress my own view, and that is that plot plays no bearing on this, I'm purely talking about the story. If this was just a display of your writing strengths then I feel it ought it to be a bit more balanced. The plot in the middle, felt out of place, and could have been better intergrated. The last line made little sense to me because it is a mixed metaphor. All that is required to make it legible is to say: some colour in a monochrome reality.
A bit like the red dress in Schindlers list.

ronito

Zeph,
I was reading "Child Roland to the Dark Tower came." today and I thought to myself that an epic poem might be right up your alley with your style. Have you thought of doing it? If not you should.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
LTTP, but I thought the ideas presented in Crow's story that started in the tavern were excellent. I guess I don't read enough for the "story starting in a tavern" thing to bother me in any way. There was some part about the magic knife cutting through something hard and dropping immediately to the floor that made me lose my shit. I think the only reason I didn't vote that story #1 is because I didn't understand the ending, IIRC.

Iceman's story title might have referenced a band, mine definitely did. Can't wait to read these stories once I'm finally done with my week of drunken debauchery.

AnkitT

ronito said:
DavidCrossStillAintThatFunny: Stream of consciousness doesn't necessarily mean scatterbrain. This seems to lack a distinct unity.
Eh? Maybe it being my own writing hinders me from viewing it objectively, but there is a clear theme to it.

I wanted to correct something, by the way, Ashes: My piece is far more stream-of-consciousness than you give it credit for.

Here's the definition, from Wikipedia:

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode that seeks to portray an individual's point of view by giving the written equivalent of the character's thought processes, either in a loose interior monologue, or in connection to his or her actions.

Stream-of-consciousness writing is usually regarded as a special form of interior monologue and is characterized by associative leaps in syntax and punctuation that can make the prose difficult to follow. Stream of consciousness and interior monologue are distinguished from dramatic monologue, where the speaker is addressing an audience or a third person, and is used chiefly in poetry or drama. In stream of consciousness, the speaker's thought processes are more often depicted as overheard in the mind (or addressed to oneself); it is primarily a fictional device. The term was introduced to the field of literary studies from that of psychology, where it was coined by philosopher and psychologist William James.

Dramatic monologue addresses the audience or a third person, which my piece does not do whatsoever.

Cyan

Banned
Meus Renaissance: "December the 2nd" - I like the brevity. Watch for too much telling, though. e.g. "struck with emotion at the mere idea." Something like that is much more effective if shown rather than told.

ZephyrFate: "Neorxnewang" - I know, it's stream-of-consciousness, but I think it could've been toned down a little. I like the style here, but having it applied to every action or thought or spoken sentence becomes a bit much. Good last sentence.

Scribble: "So It's Connecting Now" - GAME OVER Return of Scribble. Welcome back my friend! It appears that your long absence has caused vagaries in the timestream. Consciousnessstream. This was almost AlternativeUlster in its sheer unfilteredness.

Ashes1396: “Pusher” or “This is the life is it.” - Curious: did Amirox say "bee tee double-u" or "bee tee dub"? Because the latter is kinda douchey unless done in the proper tone of voice. I think the second half was better than the first.

Ashes

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I wanted to correct something, by the way, Ashes: My piece is far more stream-of-consciousness than you give it credit for.

Dramatic monologue addresses the audience or a third person, which my piece does not do whatsoever.

So the imagery and all those metaphors? who is the main character trying to explain stuff to?
Himself? nor do I think we're getting a peek into his thought processes. It doesn't sound like a internal stream of thoughts, more like an actor on stage trying to show the world from his point of view because he is explaining his world far too much in my opinion. But I guess we have to agree to disagree. It just sounded like a dramatic monologue to me, personally.

If he were to voice all of the thoughts in his head, they'd come out as poetic metaphors. He chooses not to, relegating them to an interior monologue to himself.

Ashes

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
If he were to voice all of the thoughts in his head, they'd come out as poetic metaphors. He chooses not to, relegating them to an interior monologue to himself.

And you think this is a stream of conciousness style? not a dramatic monologue?
fair do's. To each his own I guess..

1) Timedog
2) Zephyr
3) Ronito

---------------------------

Meus: There were a few places here and there where it felt like a word was missing from a sentence. It was never problematic enough that I couldn’t understand the sentence, but it did give me pause.

Zephyr: A tough one to read, but more because I felt it could have used more punctuation to add clarity to some of the more rambling sentences. Another problem was the occasional repetition of words, which is something I normal like, but here it was a little distracting. Still, it was a very good piece.

Scribble: Well, that was a nutty read. I noticed a few spelling errors here and there, but nothing too major.

Ashes: Making Amirox the main character was really distracting. It caused me to stack up my vision of the man against the version you presented. And there was a major disconnect there. Good story though.

Prodigy: While the list does offer us a good insight into the main character, it doesn’t really give us a reason to care. I think the last line is trying to pull the rug out from under our expectations, but it just doesn’t feel strong enough.

Ankit: I like the set up, and how we really get a look into that dreamy process that is deciding what we do with our lives. However, I think the second to last paragraph is a little too much and could have been summed up much more powerfully in a single sentence.

Timedog: That was fucking awesome!

Ronito: The business owner felt a little too evil, especially after he shot the man. I think I would have preferred it if he’d just let the lawyers wreck his life more.

Dresden: This is very good and very well written. However, it really needs more. We need some of the good times the couple had in order to understand his feelings. We need to know why he depended on her and what shape his life is in. Why is it so easy to go back? All of that would make the piece much stronger.

Cyan: Nice twist on the ending.

Tangent: I think the ending switching to the sister’s diagnosis was a little to abrupt, and would have preferred if it had remained about Alex. Also, I pictured the kid as younger than he obviously is because his cursing threw me a bit.

Irish: Is this about what I think it’s about?

Weepy: It’s a strong beginning.

-----------------------------------------------------

Iceman, yours is way to long to be considered in the voting, but I will do a critique of it later.

Great stuff, guys.

1. Timedog (what is there to say, really?)
2. Lone_Prodigy (short but sweet)
3. crowphoenix (this really felt like a departure from your usual style, and while I give it third place because of its similarity to both myself or Timedog's own works, it also detracts from the piece because it feels like a Timedog or myself piece)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom