• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has totally engrossed you recently?

Cuburt

BotW.

Finally finished it, feel like it could be done without feeling like I'm doing stuff to be a completionist, but I genuinely want to keep playing to finish some side quests, get some more gear, finish all the Shrines, there is just so much I want to do because I want to do it. The rewards aren't even so much the incentive, it's just really fun to play.

I don't think I've ever been engrossed with a game this much. Fallout 3 had a really grip on me, but this is a whole new level of being engrossed.

Nier: Automata. I've done all the thingies and I still can't stop thinking about it.

Erase my mind so I can experience it again.

This thread is really a testament to how fucking crazy 2017 has been for gaming.

It really has been an incredible stretch for us all. I feel like there can be a 6 month drought spanning PC and all consoles, and I'd still be good, covered, and happy with everything that's been released so far.

HeelPower

NieR Automata.

It has amazing world building, excellent combat, and GOAT soundtrack. The story is intriguing so far, and I can't wait to uncover the secrets!

Nier Automata

10/10 gameplay
10/10 ost
10/10 interesting story/lore

edit-

basically what Exentryk said :D

Käebi;232449617 said:
NieR Automata hands down. My favorite OST ever, I love what is happening with the world and its characters. Probably gonna be my favorite game ever. I love videogames.

Nier Automata. Finished it a few days ago, and yet I can't stop thinking about it, and it's genuinely interesting to discuss it with other people, or gauge people's reactions as they come across the absolute highs in the game. I mean hell, it even pulled me away from BoTW with its rather addicting and engaging story.

Oh, and best soundtrack of this year, if not this generation.

Another vote for NieR,pulled me away from Horizon.

Melchiah

Horizon Zero Dawn, and I'm not even that much into open world games. Its intriguing setting, varied and challenging combat, and relatable main character managed to hook me up better than Witcher 3 ever could.

Bishop89

Horizon Zero Dawn, and I'm not even that much into open world games. Its intriguing setting, varied and challenging combat, and relatable main character managed to hook me up better than Witcher 3 ever could.

yeh to me this game is vastly better than witcher 3.

Yakuza 0 is really a time sink if you try to build up completion. I've got about 100 hours in and I think I might skip full completion to finally finish the game and move on to Nier, which I really like from the 4 hours or so I played.

Nioh and Zelda: BoTW. Have sunk roughly 150 hrs or more into those games, together that is. :O

I liked Horizon fine but it didnt suck me in really, the platinum was really easy as well so.

Haganeren

Breath of the Wild really did it to me... And now NieR Automata really do it to me.

With Persona 5 very soon, i may have the best combo of game i have ever played in a long time !

Kept an eye on this one ever since its reveal, but I was taken aback over just how good this one turned out. More than the majority of other of its modern-day peers in the genre, Hollow Knight nails the essence of what makes a Metroidvania stand out. Recent-ish games like Ori & The Blind Forest, Guacamelee, Outland or Momodora are far removed from being bad games and even excel in different areas Hollow Knight does not primarily focus on, but to me they've always resembled pseudo-action platformers rather than iterating on a genre that innately instils wanderlust, given their heavily guided nature and subsequently removing a gratifying sense of exploration.

Hollow Knight, much like Breath of the Wild shortly before it released, understood the importance of leaving players to their own devices. You're dropped into a massive, interconnected and densely packed world to explore by your own choosing - one finely crafted to potentially allow for wildly differing routes between multiple players - and it does not hold your hand in the process. By the developer's own admission, Hallownest is a playground where 60% of its content is entirely optional and this in a game where the map system deliberately leaves out information you'd otherwise find in a Metroidvania, like pinpointing your current location... or even initially showing the next portion of the map. What could easily be perceived as a genuine flaw works here, because the lack thereof is substituted by ample landmarks on the map itself as well as sufficient in-game signposting (sometimes literally) as you're gallivanting about. It is not an adventure devoid of guidance, especially if you want a nudge in the right direction to continue treading the main path, but you either have to specifically seek these other means out via the correct NPC's or through other optional methods (which require a minor balancing act) without it being forced down your throat. It's a withdrawn trek if the player wants it to be and Hollow Knight's kingdom of Hallownest is very much built to respectfully keep this sort of immersive, borderline isolated experience in mind.

banner_pics_0003_3.jpg

banner_pics_0002_4.jpg

What made traversing through Hallownest such a joy for me, is how rewarding it is to meander off to the wayside. Hollow Knight does not fall for common trappings that are almost ubiquitous (to a fault) to the genre by now; unlike even the classics such as Super Metroid, side-collectibles do not largely consist out of generic health / magic / ammo upgrades for starters. In fact, those are surprisingly kept to a minimum! Instead you meet new charismatic faces who could prove valuable, new objectives or events that adequately encourage revisits, new tools which could help create a specialized build due to a Materia-lite sort of system, sighting one of the 130+ enemy types tied to a contextually appropriate bestiary and more. Benches, known as the de facto save points, are also relatively scarce without feeling too rare in number. Significant shortcuts are fairly prominent as well; fast travel stations need to be earned and there exist a healthy number of wrap-arounds that tightly weave together large chunks of the overarching layout so that areas don't feel disposable in the long run. Most of these elements, but especially the latter two, are a stark contrast to how most of the aforementioned modern-day Metroidvanias handled their mechanical or structural vision. It's quite frankly refreshing!

To top it all off: the setting just feels wholly cohesive. The presentation is already top notch in between the outstanding soundtrack + audio design, the cutesy yet somber hand-drawn aesthetic, the slick interface and a puzzle-like narrative that isn't excessively opaque, but what really drives this point home is Hollow Knight's attention to detail. Oft negligible yet frequently employed for the sake of believability or visible culture, these touches (be it on your character or elsewhere) demonstrate the craftsmanship put into this game down to even miniscule elements you wouldn't think twice about anymore by today's standards. I mean, shit; trivial as it may be, there's even a plausible explanation as to why money drops automatically gravitate towards you should you have the corresponding perk equipped:

geobugs_smalltvkf9.gif

Given the meager crowdfunded budget the bite-sized development team asked for, their debut title is nothing short of a legitimately impressive accomplishment.

wig

Persona 4 (Vita version). I had played around 25 hours last year but never completed it. I think I got close to halfway through the game. I took a break from it and never want back. Huge mistake. The Persona 5 hype got to me earlier this month so I wanted to go back to P4 to finish it off but I was completely lost. I didn't know what my current objective was where I left off and I had forgotten most of the games mechanics. I decided to restart and now I'm hooked again. I just started playing ME:A but I think I'll go back to P4 for the time being while they patch up the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Horizon. I tend to not play very often these days, but Horizon grabbed me like Dark Souls grabbed me - every spare waking moment I was playing that game and I got the platinum.

Now taking a breather before jumping into Zelda on switch

Genio88

Easy answer, Breath of the Wild on Switch, i didn't play 100 hours on a single player game since...Final Fantasy 8 i guess. Just the best game since Haòf Life 2 to me, i'm a bit sad now that i finished it unlocking about everything important.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been my jam since Switch launch day. Every gaming moment at home has been taken up with it. And realistically, i won't be finished before Easter.

Moaradin

Nier: Automata. Put 60 hours in on PS4 and now I'm playing it again on PC, and I'm finding new things and more reasons to love the game.

Ikon

I found Grand Theft Auto V for PS4 at a really cheap price and get like I had to double dip. The intention was just to have the improved version available but it ended up consuming every spare moment I have.

This game is just so so good and even though I expect to beat it any day now, I'm happy that I still have a ton of stuff left to do after that. I rated it 10/10 on PS3, but I like everything about it more this time, even stuff like characters and story.

Still unsure if I want to touch the online. If I do I'm afraid this will be the only game I play this year - and I was hoping to continue with clearing out my backlog, which was going well before this.

BathanKaitos

Neo Member
Inazuma Eleven Series of Nintendo DS.

Never forgotten by me and I still want to play them, mostly much funnier when you play agaisnt your friends with their own teams.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. The first game in a long time that sucked me in to the point where I felt like when I was playing as a kid again. Exploring every secret and every inch of the map so the threat of danger around every corner in beautiful 4k... GLORIOUS!!

Gunkankun

Nier Automata, without a doubt. Tried playing Horizon after Nier and I think that was a mistake. Been preaching the word of Taro to anyone who will listen.

GlamFM

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn.

ME:A is probably the next one to do it and possibly Zelda once I get a Switch around Christmas.

jeemer

I stopped playing umvc3 with a friend on 360 when we realised we'd been renewing gold for a long time solely for umvc3. Now that it's out on pc we've been back at it!

deim0s

All recent releases hooked me... Yakuza 0, Nier, Horizon and Nioh (which i came back recently). Very solid systems and varied gameplay types made me play them from start to finish within days of each other.

This is a good year for Japan devs and Guerilla.

Dio

Banned
Nioh was good, but I was 'done' with it after I beat it, even though I enjoyed it.

I'm not done with Nier: Automata, but I'm already completely engrossed and will most likely think about this game for years to come.

WITHE1982

TBH after Horizon Zero Dawn I didn't think another game would capture my imagination as much... then I jumped straight into NieR Automata and I was blown away.

I've spent the last week doing nothing other than playing it, planing on playing it, thinking about it, watching videos on it and trying to make time to play it some more.

It's a game that will stay with me for a long time after I eventually complete it.

Melchiah

TBH after Horizon Zero Dawn I didn't think another game would capture my imagination as much... then I jumped straight into NieR Automata and I was blown away.

I've spent the last week doing nothing other than playing it, planing on playing it, thinking about it, watching videos on it and trying to make time to play it some more.

It's a game that will stay with me for a long time after I eventually complete it.

I know the feeling. =) It's exactly the same for me with Horizon, and it was like that with Bloodborne and The Last of Us as well.

Top Bottom