• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Q8uyh6G.jpg

I'm digging the proposed backstory for Vulture. Homecoming seems to be touching on the effect that the Avengers have had on the people on the ground.

guek

Banned
Marvel topics don't update as frequently as DCEU topics because there's not as much to bitch about, so let me take a moment to bitch about the marvel formula. I was OK with Marvel remaking Iron Man for Dr. Strange and, to a lesser degree, Ant-Man but Panther and Spider-man better feel 100% fresh. That's one of the reasons Ragnarok is so anticipated for me, because it's clearly going to be very different from what we've seen up to now.

What we've seen of Homecoming makes it clear what they're going for and it isn't Iron Man again.

I doubt Black Panther will go through that character arc since he already had his origin done more or less in Civil War.

Now if you want to boil the 'Marvel Formula' down to bare essentials, ie:

• Likable protagonist and unlikeable antagonist with clear motivations
  • straightforward plot
  • Pretty upbeat tone

Then it's a crapshoot.

guek

Banned
The tropes that have gotten stale for me are:

- Arrogant protagonist gets taken down a peg in the first act
- Romantic interest exists solely for the protagonist's character development
- Primary antagonist is an evil version of the protagonist
- World ending threat is primary obstacle

I want them to move away from those ideas for the next few movies.

The tropes that have gotten stale for me are:

- Arrogant protagonist gets taken down a peg in the first act
- Romantic interest exists solely for the protagonist's character development
- Primary antagonist is an evil version of the protagonist
- World ending threat is primary obstacle

I want them to move away from those ideas for the next few movies.

1. There are hints of Spider-Man getting his ass beat by Vulture in the trailer so we'll see. It's kind of what Spiderman does. Black Panther maybe?
2. Well, it's a Spider-Man movie so it would actually be new if that wasn't the case. Black Panther could go either way.
3. Not happening for Spidey, more likely for Black Panther.
4. Not happening in either.

Of course, Captain Marvel could fall into all of that.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Here's a twist. It seems the Spider-Man: Homecoming footage shown at CinemaCon featured Tony Stark upbraiding Tom Holland's Spider-Man for being reckless and destructive (Captain America and Nick Fury would certainly get a kick out of seeing Tony lecturing someone about that!).

Taking the stage were Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, actor Tom Holland, director Jon Watts, Homecoming producer and former Sony chief Amy Pascall and her successor, Tom Rothman.

According to Feige, the idea for how to introduce Spider-Man into the MCU is to play up the fact that Peter Parker's been there the whole time, as he would've been roughly five or six at the time that Tony Stark revealed himself as Iron Man. Perhaps we'll get a few scenes of a young Peter Parker reacting and watching some of the more notable MCU events such as Hulk's Harlem battle with Abomination and the Chitauri invasion?

One development of note is that a mistake by Spidey during a ferry rescue scene prompts Iron Man to show up and make the actual save. Peter's struggle prompts Tony to take the Spider-Man costume/armor back as he tells Peter he "shouldn't need it to be Spider-Man." As such, Peter suits back up in the homemade costume briefly seen in Captain America: Civil War. This is another interesting development as it opens the door for Peter to potentially make his own costume by the film's end. It seems Watts wants to show Peter yearning to be an Avenger and operate on a larger scale but his journey in Homecoming will be about him learning to just take care of NYC.

YES!

At one point, Tony literally tells him, "Can’t you just be a friendly, neighborhood Spider-Man?"

FUCKING NOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom