• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the Scorpio Engine: the processor architecture deep dive

Space_nut

Lack of double speed FP16 is really surprising here considering that Neo got it last year. Maybe MS thought that it's not that helpful for what Scorpio is about.

Customizing the gpu to handle latency, bandwidth, and memory extremely more than a basic model is way better for graphics than fp16 I would bet. How's fp16 working for the switch? ;)

Rodelero

Customizing the gpu to handle latency, bandwidth, and memory extremely more than a basic model is way better for graphics than fp16 I would bet. How's fp16 working for the switch? ;)

FP16 is probably completely integral to the Switch actually being a viable product. Surely you can accept that it's a pity Scorpio doesn't have this innovation that is in the Pro? Or is that outside the narrative you want to push?

dr_rus

Not sure what you're asking really. FP16 works just fine in all modern mobile GPUs, including X1 in Switch.

The benefits of FP16 in a large screen home environment are a bit questionable though, that's true. There are stuff where it can be used but the amount of average overall gain from it is decidedly on the lower side. With MS packing 6TF of FP32 they might have thought that double speed FP16 just doesn't worth it.

This however leaves Scorpio as the sole modern home platform which doesn't support it. Even PC Vega cards will have it soon.

onQ123

auunp3.jpg

Do you have a problem with facts?

Not sure what you're asking really. FP16 works just fine in all modern mobile GPUs, including X1 in Switch.

The benefits of FP16 in a large screen home environment are a bit questionable though, that's true. There are stuff where it can be used but the amount of average overall gain from it is decidedly on the lower side. With MS packing 6TF of FP32 they might have thought that double speed FP16 just doesn't worth it.

This however leaves Scorpio as the sole modern home platform which doesn't support it. Even PC Vega cards will have it soon.

While I'm sure it (probably) won't hurt Scorpio, it is interesting to see it doesn't support that feature, when PS4 Pro does and upcoming Vega GPU's will have it too.

dr_rus

While I'm sure it (probably) won't hurt Scorpio, it is interesting to see it doesn't support that feature, when PS4 Pro does and upcoming Vega GPU's will have it too.

It most certainly won't hurt Scorpio simply because it has enough FP32 power to still be faster on code which is optimized for FP16x2 of Neo.

This is a bit of a missed opportunity for AMD though as with Scorpio omitting double rate FP16 there's less incentive for game developers to optimize for it and thus there will be less games on PC taking advantage of this feature on Vega. This is especially true for Xbox Play Anywhere titles.

I think the biggest thing is that MS had tested all the big games and seen all the bottlenecks devs were facing. And then they customized the gpu to handle them.
Yes, this is a very good approach. It's why Sony did that with the Pro.

Doubt it'll get an update, 2yrs post release. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bloodborne still hasn't been patched for the ps4 pro.
You are correct, it has not been patched.

Customizing the gpu to handle latency, bandwidth, and memory extremely more than a basic model is way better for graphics than fp16 I would bet.
But customizing the GPU to handle latency, bandwidth, and memory much better, and adding support for packed FP16 is better still. Pro has all those things, which might in some cases reduce the visible difference Scorpio's power advantage will give. Microsoft doesn't need RPM, but it's strange that they excluded it.

It most certainly won't hurt Scorpio simply because it has enough FP32 power to still be faster on code which is optimized for FP16x2 of Neo.
But not by much. Scorpio has 43% more TFLOPS. The real-world comparison that's been floating around is 35% increase using packed FP16. That would leave a much smaller gap in power than I think people are expecting. Even engines that got less of a boost from RPM still could start to muddle what Microsoft hopes to be a clear-cut graphical advantage.

Space_nut

FP16 is probably completely integral to the Switch actually being a viable product. Surely you can accept that it's a pity Scorpio doesn't have this innovation that is in the Pro? Or is that outside the narrative you want to push?

Not saying it's a negative but people who think fp16 makes a gpu twice as strong may be disappointed. I have a switch and it's not close to double the gpu power it has. It's more inline with the 400gflops it's rated at. I'm sure fp16 can help with some things but doubt it's any more helpful then the one's I listed.

Space_nut

Yes, this is a very good approach. It's why Sony did that with the Pro.

You are correct, it has not been patched.

But customizing the GPU to handle latency, bandwidth, and memory much better, and adding support for packed FP16 is better still. Pro has all those things, which might in some cases reduce the visible difference Scorpio's power advantage will give. Microsoft doesn't need RPM, but it's strange that they excluded it.

Actually pro's upgrades to latency, bandwidth, and memory isn't much better than base ps4. Pro is mostly the same hardware as ps4 but doubled the gpu CUs and some tweaks. Also whose to say the Vega features in Scorpio aren't in pro?
They probably have some features pro isn't using.

I hope Sunset get's the 1080p/60fps treatment. It's a great game and could pull some new sales in. Especially for people who buy the Scorpio as their first Xbox this gen.

Hope it's that and not Ryse :(

dr_rus

But not by much. Scorpio has 43% more TFLOPS. The real-world comparison that's been floating around is 35% increase using packed FP16. That would leave a much smaller gap in power than I think people are expecting. Even engines that got less of a boost from RPM still could start to muddle what Microsoft hopes to be a clear-cut graphical advantage.

I've heard different figures, and 35% among them is on the higher side of possible gain. I bet that it would be less on pratice, around 15-20%. A lot is riding on how far these optimizations will go, and with Neo being the only platform where they matter (Switch is unlikely to be a target for multiplatform development and PCs are dominated by NV cards without FP16x2) I don't expect that many developers will put a lot of effort into it. We'll see I guess.

Tripolygon

Banned
Actually pro's upgrades to latency, bandwidth, and memory isn't much better than base ps4. Pro is mostly the same hardware as ps4 but doubled the gpu CUs and some tweaks. Also whose to say the Vega features in Scorpio aren't in pro?
Name at least 2 of those features.

Is that 35% increase coming from that dice presentation, wasn't that from a part in their checkerboard implementation. So its a small part in their algorithm that got a 35% increase? Which again is a small part in their complete rendering pipeline.

I am just curious as to how many developers are going to go back to their older Xbox One games and work on them to run on Scorpio in 4k. The most basic thing being upgrading all the textures to 4k to run at native 4k. They keep talking about how Scorpio can run Xbox One games at native 4k, but I want to see how many developers are going to actually put in the work to do it.

Pro has 10% more memory and 24% higher bandwidth than standard PS4. Neither of us know how good the latency upgrades are, but since they come from AMD just like Microsoft's, I can't imagine they're very different. These are much smaller upgrades than Scorpio over standard Xbox One, but they are also much better than standard PS4.

You're right that we can't rule out the possibility that Scorpio might have Vega features that Pro doesn't. We do know for sure that Pro has Vega features that Scorpio doesn't.

Scorpio will run games better than Pro, in some cases a lot better. It has features Pro doesn't. It gives users choices Pro doesn't always. What makes it so hard to simultaneously acknowledge things about it that could've been better?

Is that 35% increase coming from that dice presentation, wasn't that from a part in their checkerboard implementation. So its a small part in their algorithm that got a 35% increase? Which again is a small part in their complete rendering pipeline.
No, it is not from the DICE presentation. It comes from a developer over at Beyond3D, and refers to their entire game engine.

The lack of double-rate fp16 is unexpected. That means that games that takes advantage of that feature on the Switch/PS4Pro will not get the bonus performance when its ported to Scropio. That can narrow the performance gap to the other systems.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FP16 doesn't really matter all that much in regards to actual game outcomes right now as it is based on a situation basis and not really optimized for in a major way. When only Switch and Pro use it, that makes it less likely to factor into optimization efforts all around.

Of course, i do find it amusing how they attempt to desperately dance around Jaguar. Just say you only did a minor upclock MS. Its okay, we understand why it was the only way forward.

I am just curious as to how many developers are going to go back to their older Xbox One games and work on them to run on Scorpio in 4k. The most basic thing being upgrading all the textures to 4k to run at native 4k. They keep talking about how Scorpio can run Xbox One games at native 4k, but I want to see how many developers are going to actually put in the work to do it.

About as many as Pro i'd assume

This was a pretty long article, that read super choppy with all the quotes, in which we actually learned very little we didn't already know.

Tripolygon

Banned
]FP16 doesn't really matter all that much in regards to actual game outcomes right now as it is based on a situation basis and not really optimized for in a major way.[/B] When only Switch and Pro use it, that makes it less likely to factor into optimization efforts all around.

Of course, i do find it amusing how they attempt to desperately dance around Jaguar. Just say you only did a minor upclock MS. Its okay, we understand why it was the only way forward.

About as many as Pro i'd assume
This is not true, a lot of PS3 pixel shader code was running on FP16.

This was how extensive the use was with Frostbite on PS3.

Top Bottom