• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch's VC: Are ROM's Amiibos Now?

mindsale

Now that we known the NES Classic Mini may have been discontinued in part because of its successor, the SNES Classic Mini, I can't help but wonder...

Is the Switch's lack of a Virtual Console because Nintendo is physicalizing classic ROM's with their Mini Consoles, just as they physicalized DLC with Amiibo?

Would you be on board with such a strategy, or would you prefer the versatility of playing those classic games on your Switch?

Is it crazy to think that that's the approach Nintendo will take with its back catalogue after supply had such a constraint with the NES Classic Mini? Will a proper Virtual Console come to the Switch in due time, even with its release of an SNES emulator imminently? Will a proper Virtual Console arrive well afterward, giving a wide berth to its competing emulator? Which games are you looking forward to playing from the SNES-era, regardless of the hardware they appear on?

shiyrley

Banned
wat

bruh if VC wasn't going to exist on Switch and it was going to be replaced with mini consoles, then these consoles would have an expandable library of games and they wouldn't be discontinued.

VC is coming.

image.php

rje

I wouldn't be surprised to see more "classic" devices, but I certainly don't think that will be the only approach they take to VC. They're very different markets and I don't think they cannibalize sales enough to be worried about it

shiyrley

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see more "classic" devices, but I certainly don't think that will be the only approach they take to VC. They're very different markets and I don't think they cannibalize sales enough to be worried about it
I would preorder the fuck out of a N64 mini.

And I would still purchase N64 games on VC lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nah, Nintendo is just incompetent at networking features.

Switch was pushed out early and the OS was half-baked.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nintendo is all about the multiple revenue streams/repackaging of existing content and assets in new formats. Don't worry, you'll get your chance to re-buy all these games for the dozenth time.

mindsale

I would preorder the fuck out of a N64 mini.

And I would still purchase N64 games on VC lol

I don't think Nintendo retains the rights to Rare properties developed outside of Nintendo's IP. Perfect Dark appeared on the XBox classic games compilation, if I recall. And I'm sure the James Bond licensing is a nightmare.

Not that a box that just played Smash and MK64 and OoT wouldn't be grand, it just wouldn't give an accurate depiction of the 64.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Why is everyone so panicky about the Virtual Console all of a sudden?

The Virtual Console didn't launch on the 3DS until three months after launch and the Virtual Console didn't launch on the Wii U until six months after launch.

Why don't we wait and see what Nintendo's plans are before starting making wild guesses?

OmegaFax

Amiibo are physical DLC for certain in-game bonuses/unlocks. Amiibo aren't ROMs. They're monuments to your disposable income that you can hide, share, display, or accidently step on as they consume your living space.

Mega

Banned
This is a crazy conclusion to reach and entirely baseless. NES and SNES Mini are separate products unrelated to Switch VC.

mindsale

Why is everyone so panicky about the Virtual Console all of a sudden?

The Virtual Console didn't launch on the 3DS until three months after launch and the Virtual Console didn't launch on the Wii U until six months after launch.

Why don't we wait and see what Nintendo's plans are before starting making wild guesses?

In 2012 and 2013, Nintendo didn't have a competing product in the market that exclusively provided Virtual Console functionality.

shiyrley

Banned
I don't think Nintendo retains the rights to Rare properties developed outside of Nintendo's IP. Perfect Dark appeared on the XBox classic games compilation, if I recall. And I'm sure the James Bond licensing is a nightmare.

Not that a box that just played Smash and MK64 and OoT wouldn't be grand, it just wouldn't give an accurate depiction of the 64.
I think Phil would be cool with a deal to have the Banjo games emulated on Switch and/or N64 mini.

The 360/One version would still be superior because of it being a direct port instead of emulation, having better controls, and having widescreen on Kazooie, so I don't think MS would mind it much. And Phil has said crazy stuff like that he would love to see Banjo on Smash lol. I think a deal for VC/N64 Mini is reasonable for Rare's N64 games. Not saying it will happen, just saying it would be reasonable.

mindsale

I think Phil would be cool with a deal to have the Banjo games emulated on Switch and/or N64 mini.

The 360/One version would still be superior because of it being a direct port instead of emulation, having better controls, and having widescreen on Kazooie, so I don't think MS would mind it much. And Phil has said crazy stuff like that he would love to see Banjo on Smash lol. I think a deal for VC/N64 Mini is reasonable for Rare's N64 games. Not saying it will happen, just saying it would be reasonable.

...Y'know I'd also love to see Banjo in Smash.

ViolentP

I don't think the choice to stop production of the NES Classic has anything to do with an SNES Classic or Switch VC.

Yeah this makes sense

they discontinued the NES classic because they were like "supply didn't reach demand and never will so lets just stop with all NES support"

"our VC plan is to get NERD to do 30 NES games, and that's all we're ever going to sell and for only a limited time with a very limited number of units."

think first

shiyrley

Banned
We're getting online enabled NES/SNES games with the new online service. Of course VC is coming.
b-b-b-b-but a discontinued NES machine proves there won't be VC! Even if they already announced that NES and SNES VC games will exist! Doesn't matter! There won't be VC!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
In 2012 and 2013, Nintendo didn't have a competing product in the market that exclusively provided Virtual Console functionality.

The Classic NES Mini doesn't really offer Virtual Console functionality since it isn't expandable and thus they don't stand to make any sort of profit from it.

TheMoon

you don't apostrophize plural forms. no, also not for abbreviations.

re: topic

what?! VC is coming. what are you even talking about?

The VC is coming. They are offering monthly trials of NES/SNES games, aren't they? The Switch and the NES/SNES classics are probably geared for different consumers too (collectors/enthusiasts/nostalgia vs your every day gamer), though I'm sure there is plenty of overlap. As others have said, chill. The VC will probably launch with paid online and I'd bet the eShop will be redone as well

NES mini and SNES mini are a different target audience. It's to get people with pure nostalgia that won't bother otherwise to buy a full blown expensive console for old games they remember playing as a kid/teen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love the idea of literal mini NES or SNES cartridge amiibo.

I've been told there isn't even enough storage on an amiibo to hold an NES game, though.

Jakoo

Now that we known the NES Classic Mini may have been discontinued in part because of its successor, the SNES Classic Mini, I can't help but wonder...

Is the Switch's lack of a Virtual Console because Nintendo is physicalizing classic ROM's with their Mini Consoles, just as they physicalized DLC with Amiibo?

I don't understand how this would work. Would you have to have all VC games downloaded on your machine by default via constant patching, but you would only "unlock them" by attaching an amiibo?

What would happen if you let friends borrow Amiibos? Do they now "own" the license to the game on their machine and your license would expired?

This seems half-baked.

BocoDragon

I don't understand how this would work. Would you have to have all VC games downloaded on your machine by default via constant patching, but you would only "unlock them" by attaching an amiibo?

What would happen if you let friends borrow Amiibos? Do they now "own" the license to the game on their machine and your license would expired?

This seems half-baked.
I think you're taking him too literally. He means the VC is physicalized in the form of the NES classic. And by analogy, this is like how amiibo physicalized DLC.

JB2448

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Online-service/Online-service-1183143.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/onlineservice/index.html
Nintendo said:
Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.
Virtual Console is coming, even if we need to wait for E3 for more about it.

Jakoo

I think you're taking him too literally. He means the VC is physicalized in the form of the NES classic. And by analogy, this is like how amiibo physicalized DLC.

Right, but for Breath of the Wild for example, all of that Amiibo content is either on the disc or in a patch--its not as though the data is being stored in the Amiibo itself and patched into the game realtime.

OP implies that there is some "Virtual Console" app where you have all of the Virtual Console games that you only get access to these games by activating the amiibo.

Maybe I'm being dense--what am I missing here?

mindsale

Right, but for Breath of the Wild for example, all of that Amiibo content is either on the disc or in a patch--its not as though the data is being stored in the Amiibo itself and patched into the game realtime.

OP implies that there is some "Virtual Console" app where you have all of the Virtual Console games that you only get access to these games by activating the amiibo.

I was just likening keeping classic games on Mini Consoles to keeping DLC on Amiibo.

BocoDragon

That the OP is making an analogy comparing the NES mini to amiibo. Not that Nintendo literally would use amiibo to unlock VC games.

shiyrley

Banned
I love the idea of literal mini NES or SNES cartridge amiibo.

I've been told there isn't even enough storage on an amiibo to hold an NES game, though.
It would be cute, but it wouldn't be practical.

Option 1) The game is actually on the amiibo, you put it on the NFC reader and the game loads up. So in order to play the game on the go you need to carry the amiibo with you?

Option 2) The game gets downloaded on the console the moment it reads the amiibo. But then you have the problem that an infinite amount of people can get the game with one single amiibo.

Like I said, it's a cute idea, but it's not practical. Unless...

Option 3) Each amiibo can only be used on one console. The console registers the amiibo online and you get the game, for that Switch console only, as if you had bought the game on the eShop.

But why would Nintendo bother, it would be a bit of a mess tbh. At that point just release small collections of VCs games on an actual Switch physical cart.

Poketune

wat

bruh if VC wasn't going to exist on Switch and it was going to be replaced with mini consoles, then these consoles would have an expandable library of games and they wouldn't be discontinued.

VC is coming.

image.php

I will forever love your avatar

Jakoo

I was just likening keeping classic games on Mini Consoles to keeping DLC on Amiibo.

That the OP is making an analogy comparing the NES mini to amiibo. Not that Nintendo literally would use amiibo to unlock VC games.

Got it now, thanks for coping with my clearly lackluster reading comprehension, lol.

I can see for the foreseeable future Nintendo bundling ROM's in one-off hardware for the purpose of capturing a mass-market audience. I can see them eventually pumping out Game Boy and Game Boy Advances for this very purpose as well, because there are some people that will never buy a new Nintendo console, but might want to dip into the nostalgia of ones they owned when they were kids.

I can't see Nintendo keeping those ROMS exclusively to those platforms though. We already know that VC is a part of the Nintendo paid online strategy, so it would be odd to assume they will not have a full VC suite on the Switch as well. If part of the appeal of the Switch is that you can game your way anywhere, Nintendo exclusively putting their VC games on other devices seems in conflict with that.

Pif

Banned
Having an amiibo that IS a game is kinda cool OP.

I would KILL to have a master sword amiibo that has A Link to the Past in it.

PSFan

Actually, nowhere on that page does it say 'Virtual Console' is coming, it only says subscribers will get to download and play a NES OR SNES games. And the VC encompasses far more than that.

ash_ag

Actually, nowhere on that page does it say 'Virtual Console' is coming, it only says subscribers will get to download and play a NES OR SNES games. And the VC encompasses far more than that.

On top of that, there are already plenty examples of traditionally VC-bound titles releasing separately on Switch. Examples: Neo Geo games, Seiken Densetsu Collection. Those are obviously not Nintendo-published games, but they are an indication that publishers may A. not be withheld by a promise for a Virtual Console, B. desire to release their back-catalogue in their own terms, or both. Nintendo will also release part of their own back-catalogue in their own terms, I have no doubt, but that does not "Virtual Console" make. VC constitutes a platform with specific characteristics, not simply the existence of the ability to buy old games.

GameCube and Wii, if they appear on Switch, will likely follow a similar philosophy to VC, even if the VC brand is dropped. Maybe GBA and DS too. For everything else, I believe something will change. Be it releases as part of collections for say NES, or some sort of remaster initiative in the case of certain N64 games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wtf are you talking about

yeah, basically.

The OP literally makes no sense.

"are they going to take essentially an infinite revenue stream with a massive margin and kill it before it launches with an extremely limited and much lower margin revenue stream?"

I mean I know people like to point out Nintendo making questionable decisions.. but those are some serious leaps in logic to put that one together.

MisterHero

I would not argue against figures in the shape of miniature cartridges, etc.

but it should work so you only have to use it once. I'm not gonna carry figures around just to play some old games :p

TBH I am a little worried that SNES VC will be gimped as long as the mini is in production so they don't step on their own toes.

Then again, the markets may be different enough that they won't bother doing that.

jariw

Nah, Nintendo is just incompetent at networking features.

Switch was pushed out early and the OS was half-baked.

Switch is just like all other console releases IMO, but the state of the OS is much better than the initial state of the Wii U OS.

Top Bottom