• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo mobile performance - SMR almost at 150 million dls, FEH more profitable

ggx2ac

I may as well post this since my thread is dead and it's relevant to Nintendo's mobile earnings.

Smart Device, IP related income:
¥24.25 billion or $218 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Compared to the previous year it was ¥5,734 million or $51.5 million, that's roughly a 4.2x increase year over year.

Nintendo's earnings share from Pokémon Go and other entities:
Share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method: ¥20,271 million or $182.2 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Compared to the previous year it was ¥1,887 million or ~$17 million, that's roughly a 10.7x increase year over year.

Source​: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427e.pdf

This relates to Nintendo's mobile games and Pokémon Go.

Nintendo's mobile games has earned them as much money as Pokémon Go. This is due to Pokémon Go being owned by the Pokémon Company so Nintendo only earns a share of it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fire Emblem is at 15 million downloads? o_0

I'm guessing it's like 50 cents, right?

L~A

Nintendo chief: # of Fire Emblem downloads less than 1/10 of Mario, but revenue is bigger than Mario.

No surprise here, that's the power of gacha for you.

So... I take it Fire Emblem Heroes has been downloaded ~15m times? Pretty solid performance then.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Fire Emblem is at 15 million downloads? o_0

I'm guessing it's like 50 cents, right?

50 cents? FEH is free-to-play with microtransactions while SMR is a one-time $10 charge.

They seem so salty everytime they talk about FE Heroes generating big money. Like "Great but this is not our future" lol. I'm sure they're glad either way, but maybe secretly deep down they hate that the gacha thing worked like a charm

casiopao

The power of waifu gacha lol.^^ And with this week Ike, they are going to do even better next time lol.

Now, they only need to make Advance War gacha game and everyone will be ready to pull that Sami lol.^^

I wonder if Kimishima will continue telling shareholders they prefer the philosophies of SMR than the gatcha of FEH even if the latter is that much more profitable.

ksamedi

Assuming 5% download to purchase ratio for Mario, that would make them 75 million in reveue and 50 million in profit. So they made > 50 million for Fire Emblem on a userbase of 15 million.

They could have made an insane amount of money if Mario followed the free to play model I think.

Waifus and husbandos sell, Nintendo learned what's up from Awakening(despite people claiming that totally has nothing to do with it). Toss in gacha and you have the perfect storm.

Phamit

They should offer more offer options for Super Mario Run, like 2$ for every world and that you can spend max 10$ like this

Assuming 5% download to purchase ratio for Mario, that would make them 75 million in reveue and 50 million in profit. So they made > 50 million for Fire Emblem on a userbase of 15 million.

They could have made an insane amount of money if Mario followed the free to play model I think.

Nah, I don't see how Mario Run could have been a gacha. The thing here isn't "F2P", it's that specific model of F2P

SalvaPot

And FEH just released Ike. I have seen people drop $40 dollars like it was nothing after been free-to-play players for the past few months.

And they still didn't got Ike, lol.

But seriously, the addiction is real.
Nah, I don't see how Mario Run could have been a gacha. The thing here isn't "F2P", it's that specific model of F2P

They could have made it gacha by adding lots of costumes and characters you have to pull for, or items you need to get better scores.

A life/energy system instead of the $10 would have made them much more money in the long run, but they would have to design the games around them instead.

ggx2ac

Fire Emblem Heroes has probably made anywhere from $50 million to $150 million in comparison to Super Mario Run when looking at their Smart Device, IP related income.

Roo

I still think a lower price for SMR could have been way better in the long term. $5-7 seemed like a more appropriate price.

I know a lot of people who enjoyed the demo but as soon as they saw the price for the full thing they were like.. LOL NO.

I wish the prices in Fire Emblem were more reasonable. I would like to give them money, but it's super expensive for a few Orbs.

I'm glad it's working out for them though! I enjoy the game way more than I thought I would, and I still play it every single day. Haha.

ggx2ac

Cross-posting.

Last quarter Super Mario Run made around $39 million by estimate.

This quarter we're estimating it went up to $75 million due to 150 million downloads with a 5% conversion rate.

So it's possible that Fire Emblem Heroes made somewhere up to $85.8 million in the current quarter.

Out of the $218 million for Smart Device, IP related income.

An estimate of $75 million was from Super Mario Run while an estimate of $85.8 million was from Fire Emblem Heroes which only had less than 1/10 of the downloads of Super Mario Run.

That leaves around $50 million from IP related earnings and probably Miitomo.

WhyMe6

Good for them. Fire Emblem Heroes is my most played game of the year. Gacha fits perfectly with the series and the gameplay is both incredibly addictive and rewarding, and is perfect for bite sized sessions or long ones. Unfortunately for them I will never, ever spend money on it though, the Orb prices are too high and the % chance for a great reward is incredibly low. I hope whales keep supporting it though!

I didn't enjoy Super Mario Run at all though, so I didn't buy it. It's a shame Animal Crossing will use the Mario Run model, I think it'd make an absolutely brilliant gacha style game.

I never enjoyed mobile games before Nintendo entered the market, but now I can definitely say that my phone is a second handheld gaming device. I can't wait to see what they release in the future.

I didn't enjoy Super Mario Run at all though, so I didn't buy it. It's a shame Animal Crossing will use the Mario Run model, I think it'd make an absolutely brilliant gacha style game

Wait...what ?! Did they confirm something about Animal Crossing for Mobile? The only info given so far was that it will be able to connect to some AC games on dedicated gaming systems.

120v

i think Mario was a bit of a test run to see if normal pay models would fly at all. i don't think it was ever meant to be a cash cow per mobile standards

marmoka

Banned
From all those Pokemon GO millions, how much belongs to Nintendo? Is that their final profit? Or do they need to split part of it with Niantic now?

From all those Pokemon GO millions, how much belongs to Nintendo? Is that their final profit? Or do they need to split part of it with Niantic now?

That is literally their share after everything is said and done. Pokémon Go's revenue is already over $1 billion.

WhyMe6

Wait...what ?! Did they confirm something about Animal Crossing for Mobile? The only info given so far was that it will be able to connect to some AC games on dedicated gaming systems.

Nothing was confirmed, but a Nikkei article stated that Nintendo want to move forward with the Mario Run model, and that Fire Emblem was an outlier.

However, further investigation tells me that Nikkei article was from an unnamed source from inside Nintendo and thus my hope is renewed for Animal Crossing!

Top Bottom