• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

*shrug* you're right

For the record, I didn't link to that article because I wanted to make a comparison, it was just the most recent thing that popped into my mind that talked about Surface sales numbers. But the numbers themselves don't lie. All these articles about the Surface being cool and innovative and disruptive may be true, but a success it is not. At least not in the market which it is supposedly shaking up and giving Apple a run for their money.

So when Gurman opens his article with that statement it makes me rolls my eyes, because it's literally counter to reality

Deku Tree

People have been saying Apples products are too expensive for a long time. It's funny how the same criticisms of Apple keep coming back.

What happened today? Oh Mac is up: 4 percent in units and 14% in revenue. Looks like the new MacBookPros that everybody laughed at and called "too expensive" are selling well. I bought one and I love it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The original Macbook Air was released in January 2008. The 'good' MBA that took the market by storm was released in October 2010.
The MacBook One was released in March 2015. The 'good' Macbook that took the market by storm was released in _____ ? It should be this year, right?
The problem though is that Apple is kinda positioning the Macbook Escape as the MBA replacement
It would be nice if it was that fast of a turnaround. But you have to remember back then Intel wasn't even concentrating on mobile processors at all. They were focused on desktop processors and had some relatively slow processors for laptops. But back then laptops were thick and bulky so it didn't matter. So when Apple made the Air to be super thin, they had to use what Intel had, and pushed for Intel to put more focus onto the booming mobile market. Now we don't have that luxury of wiggle room. Intel's hitting walls too fast now and is advancing a lot slower than they used to. So when the MacBook does get its 2010 Air-style update, it will be when Intel is ready. Let's just hope Apple didn't build the MacBook One into a corner like they admittedly did with the Pro where they designed it for the time and didn't think ahead. Apple made the One way too miniaturized inside just so they could get rid of the fans and make the battery huge (And it still has worse battery life than the Air apparently.) so the logic board and all the innards are contained on a tiny little board, which means they can only use a specific processor class. They can't put a really good processor in it because of heat issues. So they're basically limited. Plus the Retina display requires a lot more power and GPU.

Basically they're at the mercy of Intel's ability to give them the processor they need since I don't see them adding fans or extra bulk.

But seriously, give me a Black MacBook of any sort and you'll have my money. (And make sure the iPhone 8 and every phone after it keeps the black look. Never get rid of it.)

Fuchsdh

I'll agree that Gurman is smoking some strong stuff here.

Let's start with the subhead (which to be fair to Gurman, might have been written by an editor like the headline, but just for shits and giggles:)

An exclusive look at the Surface Laptop, a $999 machine

Ok, at the $999 price point we have the 13" MacBook Air.

that boots up in seconds

...so does the Air...

weighs 2.76 pounds

The MacBook Air weighs 2.96 lbs. This isn't a massive difference. It's still lighter than the ridiculously light new MBPs, for instance.

and runs a sportier version of Windows

You know how everyone screams at Apple for daring to "lock down" the Mac? And Microsoft is generously giving you a version of their operating system that can only run Windows Store apps. That's right, their storefront that's like iOS, except with shittier apps and the ability to constantly fail to update anything, necessitating a trip to the command line and a restart to get my damn Minecraft W10 Edition beta to update. Yeah. Awesome.

But no! It's "sporty" instead of "feature incomplete so we can get money from you for an OS update in 2017".

But let's move to the actual article.

What are you getting for your $999? Definitely a nicer screen, so the Laptop wins there. Supposedly, 14 hour battery life. We'll see. But you're also getting a laptop with 128GB of storage and 4GB of RAM, less than the MBA. Configure that to 8GB/256GB SSD, and your price has jumped to $1299—the price of a retina MacBook. So already we're not really comparing apples to apples, and if we do it's not the Surface Laptop versus a MacBook Air, it's a Surface versus a retina MacBook. That is competitively priced.

(By the way, an i7 Surface with 512GB of storage and 16GB is $2200. So it's at best $200 less than a roughly-equal MBP 13" with the storage and i7.)

This bit is badly-worded enough to be deceptive:

The Air hasn't had a serious makeover since 2010, just a modest upgrade two years ago. Stung by the criticism from the disgruntled faithful, Apple has pledged to do better.

Apple pledged to do better about the Mac Pro. They really haven't walked back anything with their laptops besides discounting TB3 dongles. The thought line in the article is linking their lack of MacBook Air updates with Apple promising to do better, which isn't at all the case for a cause-and-effect.

And... that's it. Microsoft has crafted a laptop... that is essentially similar to Mac laptops in specs. And is not much cheaper. And is still flimsier. And will come with a shittier OS (unless you pay an extra $50.) There's no real explanation given as to how this is supposed to lure people, especially since the big complaints with Apple recently have been from pro users, which this laptop is clearly not marketed for (they're talking about students, and the obvious price is the MBA.) What else have people been complaining about on Apple's laptops? Oh yeah, the single port on the retina MacBook. But guess what, the Surface Laptop also has a single 5GBps USB port, and it's freaking USB-A, so that's a future-proofing forward move if I've ever seen one.

There's plenty of valid criticism to level at Apple about their Mac line, or how even with the retina MacBook and new MBPs, there's a U-series ultrabook-shaped hole in the product lineup cost-wise. But the Surface Laptop isn't going to get Microsoft any serious traction at eating Apple's lunch.

I think the major issue for Microsoft is even if their hardware is compelling and it's aimed at users Apple isn't adequately serving, they aren't picking up the slack. Mac Pro users aren't buying Surfaces. They're getting boring HP towers.

I have an older Airport Extreme 4th gen and want to upgrade to the latest version (possibly the time machine one)

Is this a stupid, expensive move? I don't know anything about wireless standards

I have an older Airport Extreme 4th gen and want to upgrade to the latest version (possibly the time machine one)

Is this a stupid, expensive move? I don't know anything about wireless standards

It's not the fastest nor most tweakable router out there, but I find the reliable uptime to be great (hardly ever needs a restart) and the Airport app is super easy to use and configure what options there are.

I have the 2TB and I like it a lot, but I also can't wholeheartedly recommend it given the lack of hardware updates and the better options. Pick up an Apple refurb one if you want a better price

It's not the fastest nor most tweakable router out there, but I find the reliable uptime to be great (hardly ever needs a restart) and the Airport app is super easy to use and configure what options there are.

I have the 2TB and I like it a lot, but I also can't wholeheartedly recommend it given the lack of hardware updates and the better options. Pick up an Apple refurb one if you want a better price

It's not fast? I like my older extreme because it just seems a lot easier to use but then again I haven't really looked into mesh routers like Eero or Google Wifi.

Also my new apartment probably doesn't warrant it.

It's not fast? I like my older extreme because it just seems a lot easier to use but then again I haven't really looked into mesh routers like Eero or Google Wifi.

Also my new apartment probably doesn't warrant it.

It's fast, but not the FASTEST. Do you have any AC-capable devices?

It's fast, but not the FASTEST. Do you have any AC-capable devices?

I'm pretty sure

Side note: can anyone recommend a decent macbook pro 15inch sleeve (older gen) that can offer some decent protection?

I'm using an Incase messenger bag/sleeve right now that does the job fine but I'd like to be able to toss my computer in a backpack wihtout worrying about dents

Most people are moving to other wifi routers at this point because Apple has let the Airports get outdated. I know Gruber and others recommend the Eero for its speed and ease-of-use, fwiw.

If the rumors of Apple releasing a competitor's to Amazon's Alexa speaker thing hold true, my guess is they'll put wifi routing capability in that, with hopefully updated internals.

Deku Tree

I'm pretty sure

Side note: can anyone recommend a decent macbook pro 15inch sleeve (older gen) that can offer some decent protection?

I'm using an Incase messenger bag/sleeve right now that does the job fine but I'd like to be able to toss my computer in a backpack wihtout worrying about dents

I bought this thing for my 15 MBP and I love it so far.

https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/macbook-pro-15-with-retina-display-case

I also bought this one for my MBA.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/bookbook-for-macbook-air-retina

Pixels

The escape "key" on the touchbar is terrible so I've remapped escape to capslock. Is there any way to remove the escape "key" from the touchbar?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is Frys.com a safe retailer to buy from? They have the 512GB 12" MacBook listed for $1249 currently, which is $350 off MSRP and actually $50 cheaper than what Best Buy just had them on sale for.

On top of that they don't seem to charge tax in my state which means it comes out to $130 less than buying it from Best Buy would be, even if I sprang for faster shipping.

MicH

I just tried the Force Touch track pad and that thing is incredible! It legitimately feels like you're actually clicking something! Absolutely amazing

Is Frys.com a safe retailer to buy from? They have the 512GB 12" MacBook listed for $1249 currently, which is $350 off MSRP and actually $50 cheaper than what Best Buy just had them on sale for.

On top of that they don't seem to charge tax in my state which means it comes out to $130 less than buying it from Best Buy would be, even if I sprang for faster shipping.

yeah, they're legit. They have a store nearby where I'm at and I used to buy computer stuff there.

I just tried the Force Touch track pad and that thing is incredible! It legitimately feels like you're actually clicking something! Absolutely amazing

Yeah, I'm a huge fan. It blows people's minds when I turn the computer off and nothing is actually moving. It makes for a fun party trick

mackaveli

I have a 2010 iMac 27 inch.

The main display doesn't turn on anymore. I briefly see the background picture for 1 second then it goes back to black. The computer otherwise works. I am currently posting from it since it is also connected to an external monitor.

This happened a couple of days ago and I read to reset PRAM. It worked and the monitor was back on. But today I tried resetting PRAM and this time it does not turn on.

Any other tips or things I should try to see if I can get the main display to work?

I do have a new MacBook Pro 2017 comp that I use but the 2010 iMac i use mainly for working from home when I don't need to come into the office. It would be nice to be able to use the iMac 2010 strictly for work and not have to install the programs etc., on my MacBook Pro as I want to keep it separate.

thanks.

Thanks. Now to decide if I want to pick up this one or wait for a refresh. I dunno if the refresh is gonna have $500 worth of extra hardware though. Hmm.

Depends. Possible upgrades to the 12" MacBook include a big processor jump, another USB-C port (or at LEAST a switch to TB3 instead)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bleh. There's no urgency I guess. The Macbook in question is for my wife who wants to sell her iMac and move to a notebook for space concerns and for going back to school in a few months. Guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.

japtor

I have a 2010 iMac 27 inch.

The main display doesn't turn on anymore. I briefly see the background picture for 1 second then it goes back to black. The computer otherwise works. I am currently posting from it since it is also connected to an external monitor.

This happened a couple of days ago and I read to reset PRAM. It worked and the monitor was back on. But today I tried resetting PRAM and this time it does not turn on.

Any other tips or things I should try to see if I can get the main display to work?

I do have a new MacBook Pro 2017 comp that I use but the 2010 iMac i use mainly for working from home when I don't need to come into the office. It would be nice to be able to use the iMac 2010 strictly for work and not have to install the programs etc., on my MacBook Pro as I want to keep it separate.

thanks.
Can you see anything if you shine a flashlight onto the screen while running? It'd be dim but you might be able to make out something. If that's the case I think it'd be something with the backlight. If it shows nothing and looks completely off I'm not sure but I'd guess something to do with the connector(s?) or maybe the whole screen dying...in some way. Maybe blown capacitors or something.

Fuchsdh

Can you see anything if you shine a flashlight onto the screen while running? It'd be dim but you might be able to make out something. If that's the case I think it'd be something with the backlight. If it shows nothing and looks completely off I'm not sure but I'd guess something to do with the connector(s?) or maybe the whole screen dying...in some way. Maybe blown capacitors or something.

If it's regularly turning on and then going back I don't think it could be loose connections. GPU failures also usually manifest in glitchy ways so I'd rule that out as well. The backlight seems like the most obvious answer, because I'm not sure if that's covered under the startup test (if it's booting up and everything else is normal it doesn't seem like it can be a major hardware failure.)

japtor

If it's regularly turning on and then going back I don't think it could be loose connections. GPU failures also usually manifest in glitchy ways so I'd rule that out as well. The backlight seems like the most obvious answer, because I'm not sure if that's covered under the startup test (if it's booting up and everything else is normal it doesn't seem like it can be a major hardware failure.)
Yeah not sure, just trying to think of what could be wrong with the screen itself it since it sounds like everything else works. I've seen funkiness on laptops from cables/connectors going bad but I'm not sure if that happens much (if at all?) on an iMac that doesn't have the movement of a laptop screen (and general laptop abuse).

In any case I think blown caps or something to do with powering the screen could still be the problem, but I'm wondering if you could diagnose that in software. Like would System Info show as no internal screen connected? Then again my Mac mini still shows my display in there despite it being off (and seemingly being dead, but that's another story). I'm guessing the screen is all still there as far as the computer is concerned, just invisible?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks. Now to decide if I want to pick up this one or wait for a refresh. I dunno if the refresh is gonna have $500 worth of extra hardware though. Hmm.
I've been going back and forth on this issue, too. New keyboard, better front camera, possibly twice the ram. Seems like a good idea to wait but I'm also waiting for an unknown, waiting for an unknown time, and possibly $500 bump, too. Hmm.

I've been going back and forth on this issue, too. New keyboard, better front camera, possibly twice the ram. Seems like a good idea to wait but I'm also waiting for an unknown, waiting for an unknown time, and possibly $500 bump, too. Hmm.

I mean, in a perfect world when the refresh comes out they drop the entry model down to the $999 price and bump the MBA for good, so that means the higher end models become more affordable as well

I hope that happens this year. Maybe next year if we're unlucky

mackaveli

No i don;'t see anything. The screen is off, but if i Wake up the other display after lets say 5 minutes of not doing anything the iMac screen will briefly wake up show the desktop then go away.

It sucks. I dont know what else to do. I tried a SMC reset no idea if i did it properly with no luck.

Edit -

The only thing that was really worrisome initially is I didn't know how to log in to the computer without seeing the login screen since the external display just showed the background. Found an article saying just hit the first letter of username and then enter password. It worked. But is there anyway to make the external display show the log in screen at boot up?

I made external the Primary display and mirror but don't see any login.

I checked the system information as well and it says the display is ON and stuff. i do think its the blacklight probably as even on full brightness mode it wasn't as bright?

So I'm out of luck on fixing it right?

Bleh. There's no urgency I guess. The Macbook in question is for my wife who wants to sell her iMac and move to a notebook for space concerns and for going back to school in a few months. Guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.

I would say waiting for the next MacBook upgrade would be a good idea.

Fuchsdh

I mean, in a perfect world when the refresh comes out they drop the entry model down to the $999 price and bump the MBA for good, so that means the higher end models become more affordable as well

I hope that happens this year. Maybe next year if we're unlucky

Yep. God knows Apple hangs onto its entry-level stuff longer than they should, but if they can get a MacBook down to $999, even if it's basically a current version, axing the MBA line would be the best thing they can do. Get everything on retina finally.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah that's also something on my mind in not jumping on the MacBook sale. They might lower the price of the MacBook. But they also might not because of iPad Pro. They might position the iPad Pro as an entry level laptop tbh. iOS 10 did nothing for the iPad. They might have huge iPad changes for iOS 11.

Yeah that's also something on my mind in not jumping on the MacBook sale. They might lower the price of the MacBook. But they also might not because of iPad Pro. They might position the iPad Pro as an entry level laptop tbh. iOS 10 did nothing for the iPad. They might have huge iPad changes for iOS 11.

Rumors say they do.

I don't know. The starting price of a 9.7" iPad Pro is $599, the MBA and presumed dropped rMB is $999, that's a lot of wiggle room. I don't see them competing, even the 12.9" is $799

japtor

No i don;'t see anything. The screen is off, but if i Wake up the other display after lets say 5 minutes of not doing anything the iMac screen will briefly wake up show the desktop then go away.

It sucks. I dont know what else to do. I tried a SMC reset no idea if i did it properly with no luck.

Edit -

The only thing that was really worrisome initially is I didn't know how to log in to the computer without seeing the login screen since the external display just showed the background. Found an article saying just hit the first letter of username and then enter password. It worked. But is there anyway to make the external display show the log in screen at boot up?

I made external the Primary display and mirror but don't see any login.

I checked the system information as well and it says the display is ON and stuff. i do think its the blacklight probably as even on full brightness mode it wasn't as bright?

So I'm out of luck on fixing it right?
As far as software fixes yeah, that sounds like a hardware problem (whether backlight or something else with the display).

Not sure if there's a way to disable the screen, but a semi workaround for not seeing it is if you can get screen sharing turned on, then you could use your other computer to remote in and see everything. Wouldn't be for regular use, just for finding missing stuff on the screen or something instead of working completely blind.

mackaveli

As far as software fixes yeah, that sounds like a hardware problem (whether backlight or something else with the display).

Not sure if there's a way to disable the screen, but a semi workaround for not seeing it is if you can get screen sharing turned on, then you could use your other computer to remote in and see everything. Wouldn't be for regular use, just for finding missing stuff on the screen or something instead of working completely blind.

I just mirror the display so I'm not missing anything and reorganized my desktop to fit the new resolution on external screen. but will keep that tip in mind in the future.

Yeah must be backlight. I'm glad the graphics isn't messed up though cause i was noticing issues with the main screen for couple of months and thought it be a GPU issue but at least I can still use the computer with external display.

Hopefully the new iMac's are sweet whenever they announce them.

EDIT - LOL the screen turned back on haha. After I moved my office set up yesterday to move the external display to my centre with the keyboard. I just went to the washroom real quick and woke up the computer from display wake and now the screen back on.

I do have a flicker on the iMac screen on the bottom left which I've seen for couple of months and figured GPU would die which I referenced above but no flicker on my external display. Must be something with the display.

I wonder how long it lasts. I think if I put the display back to sleep it'll never back on. is there a way to make it so the my external display auto sleeps but not the iMac display? The power button on my dell monitor doesn't click in anymore so it's a real pain to try and turn back on if I turn it off.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/05/tim-cook-strong-demand-2016-macbook-pro/

Wow strong demand for the "overpriced useless gimmick" 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I am enjoying mine.

I hate the keyboard and I find the Touch Bar mostly annoying and rarely useful. The lack of MagSafe has also made it close to flying off tables a couple times.

But what else am I going to do? I desperately needed a new work machine and there's no Mac Pro for me to buy. Just because there's strong demand for a professional product doesn't necessarily mean that people are excited about it.

Does anyone know why my Apple TV4 won't show up in iTunes when connected to the latest MBP using the Apple USB-C cable? The provided cable should support data transfer right?

Edit: Never mind got it to work by plugging in the power cable.

Giving away my old mid 2010 MBP to family

Had a question: Will a well reviewed third party battery be an acceptable replacement?

Does Apple Store charge for installing a battery/will they have the matching battery for a 2010 MBP?

Thanks

Deku Tree

Had a question: Will a well reviewed third party battery be an acceptable replacement?

Does Apple Store charge for installing a battery/will they have the matching battery for a 2010 MBP?

Thanks

I would just buy the apple battery TBH. A battery expansion can wreak havoc on the laptop. Not worth the small price difference.

You gotta call the Apple Store and ask them. They should have it. If they have it or can get it then they will install it and give you a price for the whole thing.

Thanks

Unless you live in California Apple will no longer be able to service a 2010 MBP, it's too old

So I have no luck in getting apple to do it if its too old... but if I do it myself, where can I buy the battery from? I dont see any new/official batteries for a mid 2010 mbp

Deku Tree

So I have no luck in getting apple to do it if its too old... but if I do it myself, where can I buy the battery from? I dont see any new/official batteries for a mid 2010 mbp

If you call the Apple Store they can give you the precise information. They may be able to refer you to an authorized repair center that can help you. A place like that will sell you a good battery.

Does your computer have a detachable battery compartment? If not then I would want to let someone else do it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well shit, my Airs fan was sticking yesterday. Just kept hearing this slight clicking noise in the upper left corner. I had to smack it a few times to get it to spin again. Wonder if this is a bad sign for the inevitability of dying.

EmiPrime

Well shit, my Airs fan was sticking yesterday. Just kept hearing this slight clicking noise in the upper left corner. I had to smack it a few times to get it to spin again. Wonder if this is a bad sign for the inevitability of dying.

If you can get a replacement part that's a very easy repair to do yourself.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
A question about iCloud, and remote desktop/controlling.

1. Can I purchase apps, icloud and manage things for my mom?

It would be easier if I could just pay for her icloud space and it would update on her iPad.
Currently I have Famlily sharing on and my credit card pays for everything.

2. Can I remote control her iPad somehow with her permission when I need to do the monthly/yearly maintenance. Usually she calls me and says "I am running out of space" or "My ipad is slow" or "Where is that Netflix app?"

Easier to quickly organise things and change settings myself instead of trying to explain to her over a ipad video chat.

I assume icloud would solve the problem of her taking a shitload of pictures that fill up the ipad fairly regularly.

Top Bottom