• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

taizuke

Gemüsepizza;237230478 said:
- Flying their only dropship to the planet through a storm, and later, steering the Covenant closer to the planet when the fucking computer is warning them of catastrophic danger.

I was fine with this until Daniels told Tennessee his wife was gone. I mean the whole time he had a just cause to disobey rules but once he found out he could've gone and realise he was making a mistake.

Putting myself in a weird position to combat nitpicks for a movie absolutely teeming with them, but:

- When the captain decided to change the target planet of their mission in a matter of seconds. Wat. There must have been years, probably decades of exploration and preparation beforehand, and he did what?? Smh.

I feel they did an okay job explaining why this was done, and was one of the only effective bits between Oram and Daniels at all, and definitely one of the more effective callbacks to Alien. Not Ripley and Not Dallas having an argument about protocol on their mission, Not Ripley being right but losing anyway.

They change their mission because nobody on the mission wants to get back in the cryosleep pod after watching their captain burn alive right in front of them thanks to the ship getting hit by some sort of cosmic event they couldn't adjust for. Plus the alternative being presented appears to a) have life on it already and b) be a better match than the planet they were heading to, while c) being much, much closer.

It's the wrong choice, (of course, the movie doesn't work if it's the right one) but I feel the film set up why they would make that wrong choice pretty well. It's not just "DUH WHY NO GO HERE HURR" or anything like that. Which also goes to these two points:

- Landing immediately without doing any reconnaissance. Don't they have drones or something like that in the future?

- Entering an alien world without any spacesuits. ...

This was all done onscreen in front of us after tracing the signal back. The reconnaissance and estimations/readings were all done from space (apparently). They entered the world without spacesuits because they were told it was safe to do so by the readings they took. It's not like Prometheus where they didn't know, and it's not like Alien where they took the readings and the readings said "you'd better put on a space suit."

They'd just learned this world was MORE habitable than the one they were supposed to live the rest of their days on - why would they wear a spacesuit?

The rest of the complaints I don't have any real counter for, or even if I did, I don't think they'd be worth trotting out as the complaints are pretty valid even if there's some sort of way to explain that shit out.

But these two have come up a couple times in the thread already and with all the other things to hit the movie for, I don't think those two moments are really egregious at all.

(now, the map from Covenant detailing the storms on the planet surface, the distance between those storms, and the dropship captain's decision to fly the ship directly THROUGH the biggest of the three cylinders of pure weather? That's an... interesting choice)

Melchiah

(now, the map from Covenant detailing the storms on the planet surface, the distance between those storms, and the dropship captain's decision to fly the ship directly THROUGH the biggest of the three cylinders of pure weather? That's an... interesting choice)

Heh. I forgot that. It picked my eyes as well.

rgoulart

Nah, don't buy it. Not only did the inhabitants lack the statuesque appearance of the engineers, the rapturous response to the arriving spacecraft makes no sense for a race with god like tech. Not only that, IIRC apart from the spacecraft dock (which could have been installed for them) there's no sign of any advanced technology. No vehicles and no machines. It would also seem strange for the engineers to have no defence against their own bioweapon laden ships. Ships which seem to have been designed to carpet bomb targets.

I agree. There's a really big chance that's not their homeworld, if they want to go down this path in future films.

Rktk

I thought it being their homeworld was abundantly clear, it didn't need spelling out even if it was, like much of the film.

rgoulart

It's not an opinion, man.

I don't know why this keeps happening in this thread, either.

Because it's a possibility.

Before Covenant, everyone thought the Xenomorph was a creation of the Engineers because of what was shown in Prometheus. Now everyone knows it's David who created them. Anything can change between one movie and the other. Be more open minded I'd say.

Because it's a possibility.

The retcon you're holding out for could possibly happen. yes.

That doesn't mean it's already happened. Because it hasn't. And it probably won't. Because there's no need for it. Maybe there will be later on. But probably not.

That's their homeworld. It's an... interesting choice he made to do that with it. But that's what it is, and that's what he did.

This isn't a case of my being "closed-minded." It's you saying a thing that could be, maybe, depending on whether the creator wants to contradict what he's shown us in his most recent creation, is actually enough to call what he put in the movie into question.

It isn't.

That's the homeworld. That's not my opinion. That's what it is.

In your opinion, you'd like it if it weren't.

I'd like a lot of different things about these movies too.

rgoulart

The retcon you're holding out for could possibly happen. yes.

That doesn't mean it's already happened. Because it hasn't. And it probably won't. Because there's no need for it. Maybe there will be later on. But probably not.

That's their homeworld. It's an... interesting choice he made to do that with it. But that's what it is, and that's what he did.

Yeah, I know. I'm not trying to be a douche or anything. I really wanted the movie to be better and to explore the Engineers, their culture, etc. Unfortunately we're never going to know anything else about them because Ridley Scott doesn't seem interested in that anymore. Probably because of the backlash Prometheus received upon release.

I really wish Covenant was more a Prometheus sequel than an Alien prequel. It made one of my all time favorite movies retroactively worse. It had such a great Lovecraftian atmosphere, with the unknown creature, cosmic horror, alien technology. Now it's the offspring of a disappointed robot.

Yeah, I know. I'm not trying to be a douche or anything.

You're not being a douche at all! And I get being disappointed by his doing this with the setup he left at the end of Prometheus. But saying "this isn't the homeworld" or "this has a chance to not be the homeworld" isn't all that accurate, and as this thread's shown - people tend to get pretty confused by what the fuck is supposed to be going on in this universe for a lot of reasons. Some earned. Some unearned.

rgoulart

You're not being a douche at all! And I get being disappointed by his doing this with the setup he left at the end of Prometheus. But saying "this isn't the homeworld" or "this has a chance to not be the homeworld" isn't all that accurate, and as this thread's shown - people tend to get pretty confused by what the fuck is supposed to be going on in this universe for a lot of reasons. Some earned. Some unearned.

Thanks for understanding.

It's very unfortunate what Ridley Scott decided to do with this franchise. It has a lot of great ideas buried within terrible story decisions. He left Prometheus with great promise for a future film. To explore the "Chariot of the Gods" side of the story and maybe even go further away from the Alien franchise.

But then he decides to go back and actually kinda ruin what he accomplished with the first movie. Now I really want another movie, just so it doesn't end with Covenant, and at the same time I don't want another movie because I've been burned already by this one.

kiguel182

Not sure what to think of this.

I liked Prometheus and came out of that more positive than this. I expected them to expand on the lore and continue from Prometheus and the movie did that but it also had a slasher movie inside of it that was kind of predictable. There were some really nice visual effects but when the movie ended I didn't feel satisfied.

I think the "David goes crazy and makes aliens" thing is interesting but I don't think it was explored well enough or given any good story beats besides revealing he created them and half explaining the goo.

The crew were mostly boring, the captain being dumb and Teneseee lowering his ship to unsafe levels just because.

Also, the faith theme appeared again but it wasn't explored and felt unnecessary. The final twist was also predictable but I didn't mind it.

I guess there will be at least one more movie? Alien still hadnt been set up. I think this one wasted some of the potential Prometheus ended on so not sure what they can do next that will be interesting. This didn't add much unfortunately.

Final note on the pacing, so slow at the start then a rushed climax.

rgoulart

I liked Prometheus and came out of that more positive than this. I expected them to expand on the lore and continue from Prometheus and the movie did that but it also had a slasher movie inside of it that was kind of predictable. There were some really nice visual effects but when the movie ended I didn't feel satisfied.

That was my biggest problem with the movie. It had so much potential throw away by inserting a horror movie in the mix.

Prometheus is a movie that has grown a lot on me. I've watched it at least ten times since it was released. It has a lot of problems too but it also has amazing ideas and a lot of foreshadowing that leads nowhere. I would be less disappointed in Covenant if there was another movie between those two.

What actually happened at the end? Wasn't walter the superior one? How did he lose to david? Where did the second black alien come from. I was following it fine up until that point.

Walter was the superior one in terms of technology but David was made to resemble a human being and I think that made him the superior one overall.

The second Xenomorph came from that guy who had a Facehugger in his face but was saved from that other guy (sorry, I don't remember anyone's name). I'm talking about the guy with the acid burn on his face. It seems the Facehugger was attached long enough to drop a Chestbuster embryo inside the guy. Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lima

Man I thought the Prometheus crew was hilariously dumb and unqualified but this takes it to a higher level. How are any of these people allowed to go into space and are given the responsibility for the future of humanity. Fml

It started out so good. Opening and repairing the ship was incredible. Then once they land it all goes to shit. Wait sounds like Prometheus.

What actually happened at the end? Wasn't walter the superior one? How did he lose to david? Where did the second black alien come from. I was following it fine up until that point.

Just before we cut away to the ship, there's a shot inserted of David reaching for that blade (I believe it's a blade) and then a shot of Walter pulling back his fist.

You're left to assume David got to the blade and deactivated Walter. Hell, I wonder if you're supposed to assume he BEHEADED Walter and then just put his own head on Walter's body? I mean - I dunno. That seems really fucking ridiculous, but this is Covenant, soo....

Someone help me clear up what happened with the crane. Apparently the crane squished the xenomorph. I get that. Did Daniels have to get right next to the crane to activate its jaws to close or something? I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on there. She swung next to it, and stuck something in there. I couldn't tell if she was shooting the thing while it was trapped, or if she was manipulating a switch or lever or something.

That whole sequence was not very well done at all.

rgoulart

Someone help me clear up what happened with the crane. Apparently the crane squished the xenomorph. I get that. Did Daniels have to get right next to the crane to activate its jaws to close or something? I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on there. She swung next to it, and stuck something in there. I couldn't tell if she was shooting the thing while it was trapped, or if she was manipulating a switch or lever or something.

I saw it twice but I actually don't remember exactly how that scene went. From what I do remember, she swung by the crane when the ship was flying crazy and she punched or kicked the Xenomorph hand away, or she punched a button, I really can't remember the details. And then the crane squished the Xeno for good, ripping his arm off.

What I can't remember at all is if she's the one who did it or Tennessee was the one who punched a button. I think it was him. She shouted something, I don't know.

Oh man, I gotta stop trying to make something out of this movie.

s_mirage

Haven't got a clue either, that bit confused me. I figured that she must have done something, but it all happened so messily that I wasn't sure what.

kiguel182

Reading this and what Prometheus was supposed to be and how everything turned out is just a bummer. So much wasted opportunities between these two movies.

I hope Ridley Scott at least has some sort of plan on where to lead this story. Everything feels so inconsistent and created on the spot. Prometheus suffered the most from this obviously but Covenant also feels like a retcon with the Engineers being all killed and David being the mastermind behind the facehugger and shit.

Let's see what he comes up with next I guess. I hope it results in a better movie even if I think it's hard to salvage this lore.

It's hard to see how next movie works if it actually takes place between this and prometheus. I mean they seem so proud how they figured out why there was criticism on Prometheus, and that was about it not having actual xenomorph ( which as we know isn't the reason Prometheus gets lot of criticism, but whatever). So then Scott want's to do movie about time BEFORE David creates xeno? And you know what happens to Shaw and presumably there wasn't any other humans they met. So how would that movie work, I can't see them turning Engineers to actual characters. Or them going and having just two characters going on their lives, heading to already known conclusion of David killing Shaw.

Other thing I've been thinking about, why David thinks that Xenomorph is perfect organism, like what makes it perfect?

But all in all, even after this disappointment, I can't wait to see where this goes and how Scott explains Engineer ship and eggs in Alien.

Just left the theatre. Eh...the twist was obvious. The more science and explanation there is behind the aliens, the less interesting and scary they are.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I think Ridley Scott should hand the series over to someone else. ALIEN was a fluke and he hasn't come close since.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Alien experts, how does the colonization mission, and David sabotaging it, connect to Alien 1? Or does it at all?

I saw Alien 1 a long time ago, and don't remember a lot of it, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to connect the two but it seems like a pretty important event.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Other thing I've been thinking about, why David thinks that Xenomorph is perfect organism, like what makes it perfect?

I got the feeling it was his ego thinking they were perfect because he made them.

I just left the theater watching the first showing here. I wasn't really disappointed, but was not exactly thrilled with the movie either. In the end, I felt like you spend an entire movie watching the crew, then it becomes about David. You mean all the Aliens spawned from the fact David hated the fact that he couldn't create new things?

So his "plan" was to put out the beacon to attract hosts for his creation? So once he had these beings running all over the planet, where they going to eat wheat? Were they going to eat grass? Just seemed like flimsy reasoning. Also, that big ass ship only had ONE landing vessel? Tell me that the rest were damaged or something.

Overall, I just wish it had been better. I think that the prologue footage they released would have made for a better movie.

JB1981

Even though I fully knew what to expect from this movie before seeing it, I'm still dumbfounded by how fucking bizarre this movie was. Like what the fuck was that? This series has now become about a rogue android with a god complex?

Who was the protagonist in this movie? Daniels? All the characters were so non-descript. Like, who is Daniels? Can you describe anything about her personality? Is David the hero of this movie or the villain? Are we supposed to be rooting for him in some perverse way? This was actually worse than Prometheus. At least the mystery of the Engineers was somewhat intriguing. The only sequence in this movie that made me perk up was the sequence where David carpet bombs the Engineers. That sequence had some awe-inspiring imagery. Also the alien is cooked man. It's dead. It's not scary. It's not interesting anymore. I can't even think of anything in this movie I would want to see again. The characters also did idiotic shit. Why would they land on this alien world without helmets? Why did Billy Crudup stand over the eggs? Was that supposed to be some kind of commentary on his faith-based irrationalism? Haha. And the scene with David marionetting the birth of his first Xeno! Omg! And yo why the fuck was David playing the musical score from Prometheus on his flute?! What the fuck!!

I'd be okay if Ridley's third film was David: Revengeance or something.

The actual xeno stuff was generally fairly dull. Backburster sequence was good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Even though I fully knew what to expect from this movie before seeing it, I'm still dumbfounded by how fucking bizarre this movie was. Like what the fuck was that? This series has now become about a rogue android with a god complex?

Who was the protagonist in this movie? Daniels? All the characters were so non-descript. Like, who is Daniels? Can you describe anything about her personality? Is David the hero of this movie or the villain? Are we supposed to be rooting for him in some perverse way? This was actually worse than Prometheus. At least the mystery of the Engineers was somewhat intriguing. The only sequence in this movie that made me perk up was the sequence where David carpet bombs the Engineers. That sequence had some awe-inspiring imagery. Also the alien is cooked man. It's dead. It's not scary. It's not interesting anymore. I can't even think of anything in this movie I would want to see again. The characters also did idiotic shit. Why would they land on this alien world without helmets? Why did Billy Crudup stand over the eggs? Was that supposed to be some kind of commentary on his faith-based irrationalism? Haha. And the scene with David marionetting the birth of his first Xeno! Omg! And yo why the fuck was David playing the musical score from Prometheus on his flute?! What the fuck!!

I agree with all of that except the Alien not being scary. I think it still could be, but a big part of it's scariness was the tension of where was it. Where would it come from? They completely removed that aspect in this movie. People just splitting up like it didn't matter. I understood it back on the Covenant, but on the planet? Come on. I think that the hero actually was Walter.

But bottom line is that the movie was simply not very well made. It is like they had a plan, saw the reaction to Prometheus and just made changes...on the set. Seems like little thought was given to plot choices. As I said in my post, the prologues would have helped alot. I mean, I am sure people in the theater had no clue everyone was married. The scenes of Elizabeth putting David back together would have helped so much. Just a poorly made film.

Pickman

Boring film.

David teaching Walter the flute was the most suspenseful part of the whole film. Turned out to be Chekov's Gun, too.

I really enjoyed it, but the last act got bogged down by trying to pretend that it wasn't completely obvious that David had taken Walter's place.

I'd have enjoyed it more if they'd just shown David win, because it felt almost patronizing that the movie seemed to be acting like I didn't know. Plus the way they revealed it was so clumsy.

Why wouldn't David just say 'Yes' in reaction to anything anyone is asking him to do? Obviously this was their way of revealing that it was David all along to the audience... but given the complete lack of reaction to this moment in the cinema I presume everyone was already aware of that.

The horror scenes were really effective for me, and it had some great body horror. I'd say up until the last act stumble it was on pace to replace Aliens as my third favorite movie in the franchise (sue me, I love the assembly cut of 3 and don't dig on all the family crap in Aliens).

It ended up falling short though... but I'd absolutely see another continuation of David's story. I really like the character and Fassbender's performance.

Socivol

Just saw it and I really enjoyed it. I have only seen Alien and Prometheus prior to this though. Some if the characters were dumb as fuck like the captain we were literally laughing in the theater at how stupid he was. The ending was super rushed and they killed the last two crew members in such a quick fashion then there were no more deaths.

I really hate the squandered the Engineer home world like that I was looking forward to what cane next after Prometheus and they just kinda shat on it. They also should have included those prolouge scenes in the actual movie, specifically the one with the crew. I didn't know who most of them were or who they were married to someone when they died I didn't care much.

Overall I liked it. I wish it would have gone into the mythos of the Engineers more but I well. I really don't understand how they are going to make a sequel to tie this to Alien in any logical fashion. It seems like they have written themselves into a corner on that.

Glassboy

Saw the film yesterday. Really disappointed, it's like they learned nothing from Prometheus. There were so many dumb scenes/decisions in this film, just a few examples:

- When the captain decided to change the target planet of their mission in a matter of seconds. Wat. There must have been years, probably decades of exploration and preparation beforehand, and he did what?? Smh.

- Flying their only dropship to the planet through a storm, and later, steering the Covenant closer to the planet when the fucking computer is warning them of catastrophic danger.

- Landing immediately without doing any reconnaissance. Don't they have drones or something like that in the future?

- Entering an alien world without any spacesuits. ...

- Splitting up on an alien world, leaving the pilot behind alone.

- Interacting with alien plants and stuff without any protection.

- Nobody being really surprised about the presence of an Weyland employee and an android there.

- Nobody being suspicious of the strange way David was behaving as an android.

- The captain not being suspicious of David even after he saw all the creepy shit there, his decapitated crew member, the alien David tried to communicate with.

- Why didn't they disable David so that they can extract his data at a later point in time.

- The fight between David and Walter was bad, how did Walter not see that knife?

- How the hell was David able to steal Walter's identity? Why didn't they check if this was really Walter on the ship? He might have been able to fool the human crew, but not the ship's computer. There must have been an authentication process in place so that the ship's AI can identify an android. How could David extract and reverse engineer the authentication data from a more advanced android, which most likely was protected against this, in a matter of seconds/minutes? And what about his voice, which seemed damaged in the fight scene?

Why is it so hard for them to make a film that is believable? Then there was stuff like the crane/truck thing or the shower scene, which felt like they wanted to check an item from a list. Mehhh.
I agree with everything you said. Just saw this movie with a few other people who enjoyed it, but I had way to many problems to look past. Fassbender was good and the movie looked great but that is about all the nice things I can say about it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Thus poop. Even worse than Prometheus and probably the worst Alien film. Prometheus, while the execution was poor, was a visual stunner and had some suspense/interest to it. This was just all around terrible.

1. Characters, most interesting character was Crudup. Him wanting to explore the new planet as a possible source was good. His argument with Ripley Clone 3 about it, was sound, etc. He actually seemed human.

Of course till he literally follows David through his pet show of horrors. The audience was laughing the entire time.

"It's safe"
"Take a peak"

I mean, fucking shit. He's worse than the couple having sex in the woods at Lake Crystal. He had his best fucking moment with blasting the Alien, followed by calling out David on his shit.

THEN YOU JUST FUCKING FOLLOW HIM THROUGH WHILE HE TELLS YOU WHAT HE NEEDS IS YOU. WTF.

It's like Ridley Scott took the criticisms of Prometheus where you can't find a stupider team and said Hold my Beer.

The only three other characters was David 2.0.... beyond homoerotic there. "You blow, I'll play with the buttons"

Ripley 2.0, who goes from scared little girl to battle worn vet in 5 minutes. All she does is run in the first half. Then is out there, hooked on the harass, fighting the Alien with a pick axe and claw.

And McBride, who misses his wife for 3 seconds. Before telling Ripley 2.0 she looks good.

Everyone else is not a character, just fodder.

2. The series is not a Prometheus or Alien origin story. It's about the David Origin story and how he becomes a super villain. The more they explain about his desires, the more it felt like a bad B movie. He hates humans, he wants to create the perfect creature, he also wants to fuck, but can't.

3. The Alien might as well not even be in here. It only served to be on screen for 5 minutes, die. Then another pops out because David, who could easily kill the entire group, wants the Alien to do it? I don't know, for a movie about the creation of this creature. It has very little to deal with the creature.

4. Don't worry, it's safe in this wide open temple.

5. How many colonists?! That many, amazing!

6. Benny Hill Theme Song Slipping on Blood.

7. Follow the random guy with a flare gun through the graveyard and never ask a question.

8. Obvious plot twist ending required.

9. David needs a haircut

This is the first film in a while, where the audience was laughing at how stupid it was. The homoerotic scene of the Davids with Cudrup following him through scored the biggest laughs. But the girl slipping on the blood and the ending were a close second. Scott took it on him to make a film greater than Prometheus, just in the opposite direction.

Give me a sequel to Resurrection instead. I'll take Wal Mart security force battling Aliens in Super Wal Mart on Post Apocalyptic earth over this complete with dong include Human Alien.

TLDR:

Alien Covenant Review.
hMqSRX1.png

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I give the guy that sat right next to me who said that David was fucking Shaw's corpse a 1/10.

farmerboy

Upon Davids twist I let out an audible "motherfucka".

I now realise that was less a condemnation of his actions and more a sub conscious assessment of Ridley and what he has done with this franchise.

Anyway, is there any explanation on the face hugger eggs? I thought we need a Queen to lay those? Was the remainder of the engineer population wiped out by zenomorphs which led rise to a sustainable alien population and thus a queen?

Socivol

Something else I meant to mention they got rid of their terraforming equipment so what did they plan to do when they got to the new planet?

Alienfan

AvP 2 is better. Not just AvP. I at least got some cool ass Predator kills in it.

The movie where you can't see anything? Please, some of the hyperbole is ridiculous in this thread. People need to go back and watch Alien 3 and Resurrection, in no sane world is covenant worse than those films

Just left the theater, liked it but didn't love it. The stupid crew is a staple of this franchise so I don't know what's the big deal about that, the horror stuff was pretty gruesome and Shaw's fate depressed the fuck out of me.

Top Bottom