• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: Sonic redesigned to appeal to Mario fans

MisterHero

EmCeeGramr said:
Now they've turned him into a vehicle for 13 year olds, anime fans, Nintendorks, and furry fantasies.
Sega's supposedly retired fanguard still want to be cooler than the Nintendorks

lol

Boney

Banned
Andrex, you're the master troll, first npd and now this.

c18.gif

Mr_Moogle

All I want is a pretty looking 2D sonic game with a soundtrack by Masato Nakamura and none of sonic's shitty friends (except for maybe tails and knuckles).

Just like the genesis ones but with "modern" 2D graphics. Why is this so hard?

What all of you fail to realize is that sonic, mario, and even crash bandicoot all become irrelevant the day master chief arrived on the scene. He is now the most iconic mascot of all time.

Boney

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
What all of you fail to realize is that sonic, mario, and even crash bandicoot all become irrelevant the day master chief arrived on the scene. He is now the most iconic mascot of all time.
please please please don't bring crash here

he's like poochie times 50

and he sucked

AniHawk

Anticitizen One said:

FUCK YOU CRASH WILL ALWAYS BE KING

TL4E

Anticitizen One said:
wat

andymcc

Banned
Andrex said:
Indeed I was.

were you old of to be cognizant of video game trends of the 90s? for example, did you read 90s gaming magazines that routinely heaped positive reviews upon the sonic franchise?

andymcc said:
were you old of to be cognizant of video game trends of the 90s? for example, did you read 90s gaming magazines that routinely heaped positive reviews upon the sonic franchise?

I can answer that for you.

No.

Anticitizen One said:

Master Chief is nothing campared to Samus, even with all the Other:M exposition. Master Chief is just a suit with a beefy voice, he has no personality, no uniqueness at all, maybe that's why he's so appealing in today's game market. Yeah, I went there.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sorry Andrex, but S3&K > Mario World. :p The latter is interesting, but the former has a feel all its own. 2D Mario has always had some weird issues for me...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The_Technomancer said:
Sorry Andrex, but S3&K > Mario World. :p The latter is interesting, but the former has a feel all its own. 2D Mario has always had some weird issues for me...
◔_◔

MisterHero

Dark Machine said:
Master Chief is nothing campared to Samus, even with all the Other:M exposition. Master Chief is just a suit with a beefy voice, he has no personality, no uniqueness at all, maybe that's why he's so appealing in today's game market. Yeah, I went there.
You deride the Chief for lacking exposition by design but also consider Other M's hulk of exposition a mark against Samus.

This is counter-intuitive even if Other M's story was a science fiction romance novel.

Iknos

It's telling when Mario fans consider Sonic games like Unleashed and Colors to be any good. In the eyes of a Sonic fan those are shite.

Boney said:
I'm listening..

Its just common sense. Break it down to every level.

Pick something random like...music. Hey Sonic had better music. Ok. Next.

Graphics. Hey Sonic didn't recycle bad guys from the first level to the last. Every level looked different and wasn't just a lazy palette swap.

Level design. Hey Sonic had more organic level design with more branching paths and more platforming. Mario was as linear as Final Fantasy 13. Sonic is more like Fallout 3...go anywhere you want child you are free.

Bosses. Hey Sonic's bosses were all unique and weren't repeated over and over. They looked massive and huge and you had to figure out their weaknesses by observing them. Not by observing yourself dying because you had to memorize the boss pattern like in the Mario games.

Do we need to continue this massacre or can I stop here?

Mind you I'm comparing the classics. Mario titles have been consistently great while Sonic's went downhill fast.

andymcc

Banned
Iknos said:
Level design. Hey Sonic had more organic level design with more branching paths and more platforming. Mario was as linear as Final Fantasy 13. Sonic is more like Fallout 3...go anywhere you want child you are free.

i agree with most of your other points but this is a downright lie. :lol

AniHawk

Anticitizen One said:
I kinda wish Halo Reach ripped off Sega with the whole "lock on" thing so you could combine halo reach with halo 3 to get Halo 3 & Knuckles

Have you tried putting the halo reach disc on top of the halo 3 disc and putting them both on the tray?

andymcc

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I dunno, Sonic level design was a lot less linear then Mario design for the time.

i'm not arguing that either. but, the point is, some sonic stages did only have one route. i think the analogy he made is pretty bad.

andymcc

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
I think he's talking about the branching high, medium, and low paths that can be used to reach the end of the level.

http://qntm.org/files/maps/chemicalplant2.png

i know what he means. but there are some stages, especially in Sonic 1, that don't have the multiple branching paths.

additionally, the Mario games that were almost entirely linear were the ones on NES. i think that the case could be made that SMW was way less linear, considering all of the multiple and hidden exits for stages.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Iknos said:
Its just common sense. Break it down to every level.

Pick something random like...music. Hey Sonic had better music. Ok. Next.

Every main Mario theme is better than anything Sonic has had. Kondo is easily superior to any composer Sonic has ever had, including MJ.

Iknos said:
Graphics. Hey Sonic didn't recycle bad guys from the first level to the last. Every level looked different and wasn't just a lazy palette swap.

:lol This is so laughable I don't even want to comment on it because I'll laugh even more. The fact that enemies are consistent allow the player to know exactly how to defeat them, which allows them to sensibly curb the difficulty by layering more of them together, instead of making each one harder to deal with. There's no starfish bull crap in Mario games, and for good reason. They suck. All of Sonic's enemies suck.

Iknos said:

Free to go... into a bottomless pit, or wander aimlessly until time runs out. It wouldn't be a problem if there were some sort of map, but exploration detracts from platforming - ask anyone on GAF who professes to love the genre, they'll tell you. Heck I might even PM sixfortyfive so he gets in here too.

Iknos said:
Bosses. Hey Sonic's bosses were all unique and weren't repeated over and over. They looked massive and huge and you had to figure out their weaknesses by observing them. Not by observing yourself dying because you had to memorize the boss pattern like in the Mario games.

Except that Mario bosses were both fun and didn't interrupt the flow of things so that they came to a screeching halt every time. For a franchise advertised to be about speed, that's kind of a turn off. With Mario, boom boom boom, three hits, move on to the next level of platforming perfection.

Iknos said:
Do we need to continue this massacre or can I stop here?

:lol Massacre. Your arguments basically amount to a wet noodle that's been deep-fried in nostalgia and fanboyism a little too long.

As a fan of platforming over everything, Mario is my choice for the superior platforming franchise. It essentially created it and mastered it.

Iknos said:
Mind you I'm comparing the classics. Mario titles have been consistently great while Sonic's went downhill fast.

Of course, because then without the shield of nostalgia you'd have to confront what a truly uninspiring and weak the Sonic franchise actually is and has been since day one.

In short, Sonic was a bland, mediocre franchise at the height of its popularity whose only noteworthy accomplishment is lying about its quality to get people to buy consoles. And even that didn't work after all was said and done. There's also a reason Sonic games have been seen as "not as good" as in their inaugural generation; it's not that the franchise has necessarily gotten worse, it's that the fanboys who liked the initial games grew out of the hollow, desperate formula. Ask any child Sonic fan today and they'll say they like the newer ones more, ask them in ten years? They'll have the same disdain for the contemporary games and fondness for today's Sonic games as today's Genesis Sonic fans exhibit. How utterly pathetic.

How's that for a massacre?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The_Technomancer said:
Average Mario level:
http://imgur.com/0dS2H.gif
Start on the left, run to the right.

Average Sonic 3 level:
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/1/17/Cn1map.PNG
Insanity

Some people have argued that the more sprawling levels of 3&K hurt the experience. I respectfully disagree.
I wasn't being sarcastic, you were totally right on that one.

I just value the general volume of content in SMW over that of S3&K. (plus you can flyyyyyyy)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Serenade said:
I wasn't being sarcastic, you were totally right on that one.

I just value the general volume of content in SMW over that of S3&K.
Mhm, alright, I can accept that. And I personally enjoy controlling Sonic through the sprawling levels more then I enjoyed Mario World. Something about how Mario controlled in that game just felt off to me.

The_Technomancer said:
Average Mario level:

Average Sonic 3 level:
Insanity

Some people have argued that the more sprawling levels of 3&K hurt the experience. I respectfully disagree.
FWIW, this is why I like SMW over Mario 3. The cape being so game-breaking made them get really clever with level design.

(but not as clever as S3&K)

Andrex said:
Every main Mario theme is better than anything Sonic has had. Kondo is easily superior to any composer Sonic has ever had, including MJ.

:lol This is so laughable I don't even want to comment on it because I'll laugh even more. The fact that enemies are consistent allow the player to know exactly how to defeat them, which allows them to sensibly curb the difficulty by layering more of them together, instead of making each one harder to deal with. There's no starfish bull crap in Mario games, and for good reason. They suck. All of Sonic's enemies suck.

Free to go... into a bottomless pit, or wander aimlessly until time runs out. It wouldn't be a problem if there were some sort of map, but exploration detracts from platforming - ask anyone on GAF who professes to love the genre, they'll tell you. Heck I might even PM sixfortyfive so he gets in here too.

Except that Mario bosses were both fun and didn't interrupt the flow of things so that they came to a screeching halt every time. For a franchise advertised to be about speed, that's kind of a turn off. With Mario, boom boom boom, three hits, move on to the next level of platforming perfection.

:lol Massacre. Your arguments basically amount to a wet noodle that's been deep-fried in nostalgia and fanboyism a little too long.

As a fan of platforming over everything, Mario is my choice for the superior platforming franchise. It essentially created it and mastered it.

Of course, because then without the shield of nostalgia you'd have to confront what a truly uninspiring and weak the Sonic franchise actually is and has been since day one.

In short, Sonic was a bland, mediocre franchise at the height of its popularity whose only noteworthy accomplishment is lying about its quality to get people to buy consoles. And even that didn't work after all was said and done. There's also a reason Sonic games have been seen as "not as good" as in their inaugural generation; it's not that the franchise has necessarily gotten worse, it's that the fanboys who liked the initial games grew out of the hollow, desperate formula. Ask any child Sonic fan today and they'll say they like the newer ones more, ask them in ten years? They'll have the same disdain for the contemporary games and fondness for today's Sonic games as today's Genesis Sonic fans exhibit. How utterly pathetic.

How's that for a massacre?

Somebody's butthurt. :lol

The_Technomancer said:
Average Mario level:

Average Sonic 3 level:
Insanity

i couldn't love the size of the levels of sonic 3 more. great stuff and, even though it was, didn't feel as linear. every time i would play a level i had to relearn it, unlike the mario games that seemed to always use the old fashioned "keep trying the level again and again until you memorize the layout and all the jumps so you will stop dying" concept that games no longer need.

You know, I'm starting to think I've NEVER liked Sonic. EVER.

Except Sonic CD. That was the bees knees and still is.

I'm afraid to say it, but I agree with Andrex. The Sonic games have always been kinda janky...I go back and play them nowadays and there's a lot of bullshit to put up with no matter which game you choose to play. Except Sonic CD, obviously.

AniHawk said:
So Sega looks for inspiration from a good franchise and people freak out. Got it.
The issue is we know they won't follow through. Zero percent chance. The core design of sonic is fine, it just needs the care, polish, innovation and level design that Nintendo puts into Mario games.

Sega just isn't willing to put that kind of effort into a game.

Top Bottom