• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accolade returns, announces Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back for PS4, PC

L Thammy

For the true Bubsy experience, we the fans need to make a conscious effort to hype up this game as much as possible, advertise it everywhere, and get the preorders rolling. It's not Bubsy unless it's your birthday and you know you won't get any more games until next year.

CO_Andy

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

Fans of B-rated mascot characters, rejoice!

Only a matter time until we see another Mega Man

gafneo

Banned
People exaggerating again thinking Bubsy is a bad franchise. Back in ps1 days it was a tech demo for 3D gaming on 32X. Without it we would not have made so much progress.

L Thammy

People exaggerating again thinking Bubsy is a bad franchise. Back in ps1 days it was a tech demo for 3D gaming on 32X. Without it we would not have made so much progress.

Bubsy 3D: November 25, 1996
Super Mario 64: June 23, 1996​

Looks to me like we'd be fine? Am I missing something?

gafneo

Banned

Yes, because I just said it was a 32X game.
Not only that, it was made by Syphon Filter team and what's now Days Gone. Should they have quit game development after that? Also game got good press at the time. It was very early 90s. Now a days you think something that old will hold up to today's standards?

Trago

Other 3D platformers released in the same time frame and even earlier had better functioning controls.

Fuck Bubsy 3D.

Tunned

I just watched AVGN's video on Bubsy today! This came out of nowhere, holy shit!

I actually enjoyed the snes version as a kid.

gafneo

Banned
Other 3D platformers released in the same time frame and even earlier had better functioning controls.

Fuck Bubsy 3D.
Other platformers had the financial backing at a time when the industry shifted into new territories. No one knew what would work and what wouldn't. N64 was not even supposed to happen, so it was anyone's guess in 96.

Jamaro85

I had a neighbor who was six years older than me and got pretty much every new SNES game that came out. He generally would not lend out his games. I don't remember what I wanted to borrow one time, but I asked for a high profile game that I knew he wouldn't let me borrow. I figured to shoot for the stars with the hopes of still getting to borrow a top shelf game.

The game he decided to bestow upon me was Bubsy. I had fun with it, but to me it will always be the throwaway game that my neighbor didn't mind letting me borrow.

Trago

Other platformers had the financial backing at a time when the industry shifted into new territories. No one knew what would work and what wouldn't. N64 was not even supposed to happen, so it was anyone's guess in 96.

I keep forgetting that Sony Bend wasn't Sony Bend back then, so I guess you have a point.

The game still scarred me for life though.

:p

Jumping Flash! 2: April 1996 (first person 3D platforming)
Mario 64: June 1996
NiGHTS into Dreams... : July 1996 (this one had some 3D platforming elements)
Crash Bandicoot: September 1996
Tomb Raider: October 1996
Bubsy 3D: November 1996

By the time Bubsy 3D was released in 1996, it was already looking archaic in comparison to everything else released before it. Mario 64 practically set the standards for 3D platformers, and Tomb Raider had huge success of multiple platforms. Crash was really a 2D platformer at its core with 3D graphics, but I think it still counts.

Lijik

I feel like "a tech demo for 3D gaming on 32X" would be the easiest shade in the world to detect but here we are

jstripes

Banned
80% of this thread is literally "how can Bubsy be alive when my favourite old series from years ago is still dead, waaaah". XD

I'm in the "shocked but not surprised" camp.

There have always been stupid attempts to cash in on revival trends in every industry.

I feel like "a tech demo for 3D gaming on 32X" would be the easiest shade in the world to detect but here we are

gafneo also shits on Metroid Prime whenever given the chance, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were being sincere in stanning for fucking Bubsy 3D.

jstripes

Banned
Anyway, after Bubsy the next logical step is Gex.

pYNkaI3.jpg

The evolution of '90s 'tude: From wacky to "too cool for school".

Lutherian

At least this looks like a nice skin for the last Giana Sisters game... oh wait, it's not ?! It's a real game ?

I remember Accolade for this and only this :

THIS IS TOTALLY NOT TURRICAN II, GUYS ! (especially after the first level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_rs2jSy6IE

Short story :
Accolade & The CodeMonkeys were about to make a port of Turrican II on GB, SNES and MD. But then, someone who did too much drugs said :

- Hey *hic* guys, it be a hell better if we bought the Universal Soldier licence, you know, from that movie with Dolph Lundgren and Jean Claude Van Damme... *burp*. 'cause that Turri... Tur... Turric... whatever, it look like shit with big stupid robots... Our game will be better and it will feature 15m Dolph Lundgren and we'll replace every boss of this shitty Amiga game with Dolph Lundgren ! And remove thoses ass spaceship levels, that's useless !

And everyone in the studio said :

- YEAH !

I really enjoyed Bubsy on the sega genesis, I was 8 at the time. I didn't play Bubsy 2 or the infamous Bubsy 3D. Hope this one is good, seemed .... decent.

NathanS

Do you have an excuse for how shit the 2d ones where then?

Leynos

I don't get the posts about Mega Man either. We already know we're getting a new one:
megaman_pr_vertical2z1ktn.jpeg

Good God, what is this abomination? Just let poor Mega Man rest in peace.

As for Bubsy...who the hell asked for this? Does anyone actually like Bubsy? Did anyone ever like Bubsy? It looks like the Giana Sisters dev did a simple reskin in an attempt to squeeze a bit of money.

The only reason I know of Bubsy is because of those videos posted by that guy all those years ago. I think I found out about them through NeoGaf. I wish I could remember his name. I think it started with an N or something...

Edit: I found them! I haven't seen this in 10 years lol!

Top Bottom