• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPIC's Project Sword has a name: Infinity Blade

leng jai

brain_stew said:
Has anyone benchmarked this yet? I've asked in the past but no one has ever been able to produce any useful figures.

3 hours sounds excellent to me, if it is accurate. I remember full 3D games like Real Racing used to kill my 3G Touch in 1.5 hours.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
leng jai said:
3 hours sounds excellent to me, if it is accurate. I remember full 3D games like Real Racing used to kill my 3G Touch in 1.5 hours.
Well, the iTouch has considerable smaller battery than the iPhones.

LCfiner

screenshots look great.

even at the 960 x 640 resolution the game will be running at on an iPhone 4, it’ll look great since it’s on such a small screen.

I wonder how jaggy it’ll end up looking on the iPad.

after this game comes out, I hope to see someone use the engine to actually make an Oblivion type RPG with it…

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
Has anyone benchmarked this yet? I've asked in the past but no one has ever been able to produce any useful figures.

I did, and looking it up, my memory failed me:

Just did a 30 minute test on my iPhone 4, started at exactly 71% battery, after 30 minutes it was 61% - on what I consider a normal brightness (this unfortunately is the biggest factor in battery life, so while it's nice to have stats with it maxed, I feel my normal usage is not accurately represented that way).

So extrapolating, 30 mins = 10%, a full charge would give around 5 hours of game time, which for me is not a big deal, anything over 3 is most likely more than I'd ever be doing at one go. Obviously it's pretty poor compared to handheld systems, but since cell phones come out with new generations every year, I'm not worried. In a couple years time, our batteries will last twice as long, and in another 5+ years, probably 5x as long.

I timed the test to the minute using my system's clock on the PC, so it's pretty accurate at the brightness I ran it at (auto-brightness on, with brightness meter right in the middle, indoors during the daytime).

Minsc said:
I did, and looking it up, my memory failed me:

I timed the test to the minute using my system's clock on the PC, so it's pretty accurate at the brightness I ran it at (auto-brightness on, with brightness meter right in the middle, indoors during the daytime).

Yeah, that's not a proper test. You need to run it all the way down, not hope the battery counter is exactly accurate, which it almost never is. I realise its a PITA, but its useful data and I'm shocked none of the bigger sites have done it.

I'm not sure I agree with your last sentiment. It would have to be capped at exactly the iPhone 4's framerate (which is impossible given it varies so much) for it to be true and it would require more than a 2x leap in performance at a given power draw.

P.S. If you do test it again, then disable auto-brightness, its another variable that needs to be eliminated. Select a particular static brightness (probably 50%) and then run the test so you can produce repeatable results.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
Yeah, that's not a proper test. You need to run it all the way down, not hope the battery counter is exactly accurate, which it almost never is. I realise its a PITA, but its useful data and I'm shocked none of the bigger sites have done it.

Battery counter is surprisingly accurate on the iPhone 4, I've read numerous people say such, saying how long it takes to drain the final 10%. I can try it from ~80% to 0% today and see how it goes, that should be fair enough.

Minsc said:
Battery counter is surprisingly accurate on the iPhone 4, I've read numerous people say such, saying how long it takes to drain the final 10%. I can try it from ~80% to 0% today and see how it goes, that should be fair enough.

I'm not saying it isn't, but when you're doing tasks of such varying workloads, it can make it difficult for it to give an accurate reading. Only measuring 10% is leaving too many variables, as is leaving on the auto brightness sensor. There's every chance your tests could be underestimating the system.

Its not that I don't appreciate your efforts, just that they're not definite enough to make a judgement either way, there's too many variables.

What scares me is the double standard that's gonna happen with iphone games. THe cheap and great indy games.... and the big... COSTLy games that Epic are bringing to iOS.

I dunno what to think of this.

SmokyDave

I can't wait for this. Ever since laying eyes on Epic Citadel I've been itching to see something playable. My monies are ready to be spent and my devices are aching to accommodate. I think that's a sex metaphor.

The Bookerman said:
What scares me is the double standard that's gonna happen with iphone games. THe cheap and great indy games.... and the big... COSTLy games that Epic are bringing to iOS.

Allow me to tell you what to think: Woo-Hoo!

rezuth

The Bookerman said:

Its great, everyone is competing at an equal level. This is why people are pissed at what MS is doing with Indie games, they are giving bigger studios an unfair advantage. A good game is a good game no matter where it comes from.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, here's a more proper test, started at 85% battery:

Time - % remaining:
11:35 - 85%
12:05 - 73%
12:35 - 62%
13:05 - 51%
13:35 - 39%
14:05 - 27%
14:35 - 15%
15:05 - 3%

Total:
3:30 hrs = 82%

Average:
30 mins = 12%

So, you'd get a little bit over 4 hours on a full charge, maybe 4:15 hrs.

If that's a problem, you could always get a small portable charger like this, not really any bigger than the iPhone, for an additional 200%+ battery time, giving you roughly a total of 12+ hours.

Maxrunner

Buttons? No??? Somebody tell Mr. Rein that buttons are a technology that exists for centuries....and that 3DS has many of those....

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
This looks nice and all, but seriously, why always games with fantasy themes?

Where are the sci-fi, cyberpunkish games??

I was wondering why people thought this looked good when I decided to give the op a read.. and wow. This is an iPhone game? Seriously impressive tech they have.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maxrunner said:
Buttons? No??? Somebody tell Mr. Rein that buttons are a technology that exists for centuries....and that 3DS has many of those....

The moving in Epic Citadel is surprisingly enjoyable. Tapping to move to the location you tap works way, way better than I expected... in a non-violent sort of game. Obviously going backwards would be an issue, but the peaceful exploration of the desolate city is actually quite charming in its own way. Throw some enemies on the screen and my controls may not feel so great, but I prefer the tapping to the dual virtual analog sticks.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Looks incredible. Liked Shadow Complex a lot. Will buy.

Title sounds like a generic JRPG though :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
SPEA said:

IBPicture4.jpg

IBPicture2.jpg

IBPicture3.jpg

IBPicture5.jpg

IBPicture6.jpg

Looks significantly better than the demo released a few months ago! Details of some of the landscapes is great! :D

Looking forward to the visuals, regardless of the game underneath.

kevm3

Beautiful graphics and a nice break from the depressing, ugly 'post-apocalyptic' games that have been flooding the games market.

Minsc said:
Well, here's a more proper test, started at 85% battery:

Time - % remaining:
11:35 - 85%
12:05 - 73%
12:35 - 62%
13:05 - 51%
13:35 - 39%
14:05 - 27%
14:35 - 15%
15:05 - 3%

Total:
3:30 hrs = 82%

Average:
30 mins = 12%

So, you'd get a little bit over 4 hours on a full charge, maybe 4:15 hrs.

If that's a problem, you could always get a small portable charger like this, not really any bigger than the iPhone, for an additional 200%+ battery time, giving you roughly a total of 12+ hours.

Fantastic.

You do realise you're the definitive source on the web for iPhone 4 gaming battery life now? :lol

Thta's much better than the speculation I've seen posted and perfectly acceptable in my book, only issue I have is you haven't specified the brightness level?

I'd like to see how a 3GS or iTouch (haters gonna hate) compares, as I've never seen people claim those sort of numbers for those devices.

Prine

Banned
Blind brutes seem to be the rage these days. Wonder what the generals were thinking when recruiting monsters for their underworld army.

SPEA said:

Obviously no self shadowing but could anyone spot any dynamic character shadows? I know the shots in the op allude to it but I couldn't really spot any in the trailer.

Framerate looks good, hopefully that's an accurate representation.

Their deliberately seems to only ever be two characters on screen at once but that seems a smart trade off if its designed around that limitation.

Coming out this holiday season? Awesome. Hate to say it but I will pretty much buy this no matter what it costs, just for the spectacle of it all.

Prine said:
Blind brutes seem to be the rage these days. Wonder what the generals were thinking when recruiting monsters for their underworld army.

They usually live under the ground so their eyes are really sensitive to light. They can see their environment through the use of sonar. Man, use your imagination.

Holy shit... WOW!

That looks great! Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

I love what looks like multiple weapons/armor/shields/etc. Hot.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Fantastic.

You do realise you're the definitive source on the web for iPhone 4 gaming battery life now? :lol

Thta's much better than the speculation I've seen posted and perfectly acceptable in my book, only issue I have is you haven't specified the brightness level?

I'd like to see how a 3GS or iTouch (haters gonna hate) compares, as I've never seen people claim those sort of numbers for those devices.

Well, from any article i have read, the iPhone 4 represented a substantial improvement on batter life over the 3G. About 30%. And assuming a linear scaling on the battery life, the iTouch 4 offers 65% of the battery life of the iPhone 4.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Obviously no self shadowing but could anyone spot any dynamic character shadows? I know the shots in the op allude to it but I couldn't really spot any in the trailer.

Framerate looks good, hopefully that's an accurate representation.

Their deliberately seems to only ever be two characters on screen at once but that seems a smart trade off if its designed around that limitation.

The robot (?) descending in the 0:20 is the best best to spot dynamic shadowing. I'm confused, but you have more knowledge with this kind of stuff. Also, do I see a substantial resolution decrease from the Epic Citadel demo?

(Note: I'm not trying to put down what is an obvious great technical achievement).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has this been confirmed as incompatible with iPhone 3g?

Lonely1 said:
The robot (?) descending in the 0:20 is the best best to spot dynamic shadowing. I'm confused, but you have more knowledge with this kind of stuff. Also, do I see a substantial resolution decrease from the Epic Citadel demo?

(Note: I'm not trying to put down what is an obvious great technical achievement).

I'm not saying it isn't there. I just couldn't spot it. Will check the section you mentioned.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brain_stew said:
Its ES 2.0 only, so yes.

Fuck. Guess I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and get that iPhone 4.

Top Bottom