• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops steal more from US citizens than burglars

krazen

Are people in this thread seriously suggesting the police are just another group of criminals? Even though 100% of the people in the thread would call the cops if their lives were in danger, and would expect the cops to put themselves in mortal danger to save them?

It's a bunch of children saying the most outrageous shit they can think of. Nobody is interested in actually discussing how the policy can be reformed.

What reform; everyone directly involved (cops, the state) love it because at the end of the day its more revenue for all, while the title can be argued to be clickbait a tougher argument is to say its untrue.

Are people in this thread seriously suggesting the police are just another group of criminals? Even though 100% of the people in the thread would call the cops if their lives were in danger, and would expect the cops to put themselves in mortal danger to save them?

It's a bunch of children saying the most outrageous shit they can think of. Nobody is interested in actually discussing how the policy can be reformed.
black guy with dreads here. If my life is in danger last person I'd call is a cop. So make that 99% next time you make made up stats white dude using Wong as a pseudonym.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

its almost as if the world is in shades of grey, not black and white.

Yes i would call the cops if my house was being burglarized, i'm also white. In other instances like maybe a car accident or some sort of physical altercation with a minority, i may not be inclined to call the cops.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
its almost as if the world is in shades of grey, not black and white.

Yes i would call the cops if my house was being burglarized, i'm also white. In other instances like maybe a car accident or some sort of physical altercation with a minority, i may not be inclined to call the cops.

You only call the police when fighting with certain ethnicities?

We've watched cops get away with murder, plant evidence, and cape for each other no matter how heinous the act

But stealing by abusing the law?

PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not that I'm a defender of civil forfeiture but it is a practice with some legitimate use.

It actually foments a criminal economy. Criminal steals or illegally obtains goods, funds, police arrest, seize, another criminal - or the same one released - now has to reacquire more stolen or illegal property. It's a weird form of unprofitable fencing. There's occasionally individual benefits, but as a practice, it is an economic DRIVER.

WaterAstro

What determines a forfeiture? If someone steals my phone and the phone is held as evidence and for whatever reason I can't get it again and the police keep it, is that forfeiture?

Police determines it.

They can say your house is being used for drugs with no evidence and take it for civil forfeiture.
If you have a large sum of money with you, they can take it saying you're using it for crime with no evidence.

Nyoro SF

It's a real shame too because we actually had legislative action against federal forfeiture in the works, before Americans banded together and voted for the current insane idiot leading our country.

In the end we really are our own worst enemy.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Thanks for posting OP - I think a large portion of Americans don't even know that this is happening. And unfortunately most that do probably think "oh this will never happen to me" and forget about it. Unreal.

The Kree

Banned

100% they are just another group of criminals.

I grew up with friends who belonged to gangs - the kinds of gangs everybody had heard of. They had my back in fights on more than one occasion and I was grateful for it. Most of them met the kind of fate you would expect a gang member to meet - the kind of fate most cops are demonstrably exempt from due to state backing.

A gang is still a gang though, even if they're your friends. Cry more.

Mael

To be fair, if you're living in a town lead by the mob and you feel you've been wronged, you go to the mob to get justice.

I'm pretty sure he means that he won't call the cops on minorities as much as on white people for something like a fight since said minorities would likely not be treated well by the police.

Depends if he wants the minority dead or not...

Let's all also give a huge applause to that dickface Sessions for trying to push even more of this shit while we're talking about this subject.

PopeReal

The cops in eastern Oregon are poorly trained, poorly educated, and will change their attitudes depending on if they know you or not.

And guess what? If you aren't white, they don't know you.

It's a real shame too because we actually had legislative action against federal forfeiture in the works, before Americans banded together and voted for the current insane idiot leading our country.

In the end we really are our own worst enemy.

Link? I didn't know about that.

ZOONAMI

Well, this doesn't really differentiate what is validly seized with an actual indictment. There is a lot of stuff that gets seized though and is never given back even if defendant is found not guilty, or charges dropped, etc.

The policy shouldn't exist. It's in violation of every citizen's 5th ammendment rights. There is no discussion to be had, the policy needs to be challenged in the court system and done away with as soon as possible.

You say 'steal' but if it's forefeiture then it isn't stealing really. Nice click bait headline though

Something something generalization.

clickbait thread.

Lol

Yes, they are just another group of criminals.

And if I was a minority I sure as heck wouldn't call the cops if I was in danger, they might decide to shoot me instead.

Gangs in Baltimore banded together because the police couldn't be trusted.
Do gangs stop qualifying as such when they protect people? Of course not. I'm just saying, there are other arguments to make the case you want that aren't defeated by basic logic.

It's a bunch of children saying the most outrageous shit they can think of.

Wait, so you honestly believe the odious shit you post on a regular basis? Jesus, part of me was hoping that you just hated this forum so much that you went out of your way to voice some of the worst opinions possible to get a rise out of people.

Nobody is interested in actually discussing how the policy can be reformed.

Are you? Since you're so mature, you could always lead by example instead of screaming at everyone else while jerking yourself off like you always do.

I'll start for you: Adoptive forfeiture, which allows local police to take property and give it to the federal government for a good chunk of the proceeds (up to 80%), should be forbidden by the DOJ as it was in 2015. It gives the police the ability to sidestep state laws with a bit of paperwork or the cooperation of a federal prosecutor. Also, the DOJ doesn't have any serious ways to protect people from civil forfeiture, it just advises law enforcement to proceed with caution when engaging in it. There's no review process to ensure that it's being applied fairly, which should change.

Gangs in Baltimore banded together because the police couldn't be trusted.
Do gangs stop qualifying as such when they protect people? Of course not.

Wait, so you honestly believe the odious shit you post on a regular basis? Jesus, part of me was hoping that you just hated this forum so much that you went out of your way to voice some of the worst opinions possible to get a rise out of people.

Are you? Since you're so mature, you could always lead by example instead of screaming at everyone else while jerking yourself off like you always do.

I'll start for you: Adoptive forfeiture, which allows local police to take property and give it to the federal government for a good chunk of the proceeds (up to 80%), should be forbidden by the DOJ as it was in 2015. It gives the police the ability to sidestep state laws with a bit of paperwork or the cooperation of a federal prosecutor. Also, the DOJ doesn't have any serious ways to protect people from civil forfeiture, it just advises law enforcement to proceed with caution when engaging in it. There's no review process to ensure that it's being applied fairly, which should change.
Thank you.

andthebeatgoeson

What determines a forfeiture? If someone steals my phone and the phone is held as evidence and for whatever reason I can't get it again and the police keep it, is that forfeiture?
No. You want to go buy a car from someone. Grab a few thousand dollars and get stopped along the way. The cop wonders why you have all that money. Even in light of your claim and evidence that supports you, the cop claims your money may be used for drug trafficking.

He seizes your money and you have to do to court to prove that your money is yours. This ignores the special hoops you have to fight because your money is given a special designation. That John Oliver video explains it well.

Just because they seized it and you waste time and resources to get it back is a flaw and terrible in a 'free country'.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Man, what the fuck happened to you? I could have sworn you weren't always a condescending shitposter, was I wrong?

black guy with dreads here. If my life is in danger last person I'd call is a cop. So make that 99% next time you make made up stats white dude using Wong as a pseudonym.
Daaaamn

Imagine being this ignorant to the world around you. Hurts my heart that people are this stupid

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Why don't you start instead of posting this?

You say 'steal' but if it's forefeiture then it isn't stealing really. Nice click bait headline though
But it is. Items taken in forfieture are almost never returned, even when the suspect is found innocent. There's a last week tonight in it.

Reminds me of when my dad was arrested with his savings of $10,000. It was seized as evidence in an illegal activity. They sent a letter to my mom saying they seized it and she could come and claim it, but we wouldn't be getting it back.

Theonik

Isn't it the courts that decide this not the cops?
No. Cops can arrest your property because they deem it to be a criminal without charging you of a crime. Your property sadly doesn't have the same rights as you when this happens.

Unfortunately it is not so simple.

zelas

If I could call anyone else to do the same thing I would easily give up on police.

captive

Reminds me of when my dad was arrested with his savings of $10,000. It was seized as evidence in an illegal activity. They sent a letter to my mom saying they seized it and she could come and claim it, but we wouldn't be getting it back.

thats so fucked up. Im sorry that happened to your dad.

We're in the same boat.

"100%"

I have never called the cops when faced with pretty serious shit. The only reason I am likely to ever do so in the future would be some type of harm being done to my wife/children that I am completely unable to handle on my own.

Black people are killed by police officers that they called themselves all the gotdamn time. I come close to having a panic attack every time I'm stopped by one of them. Fuck them.

Toxi

Banned
Christ. And people are defending this shit.

Hale-XF11

It's pretty fucked up that they can do this without anyone even being charged with a crime.

All they have to do is just take all your stuff and you can't do a damn thing about it.

thespot84

Civil asset forfeiture is ripe for abuse however this article is misleading in that the graph includes both civil and criminal totals (though fed only).

Criminal forfeiture happens after a conviction, it's the courts who decide. Civil forfeiture is where most of the issues lie. I'm no defender of asset forfeiture but people really need an education on the subject.

captive

I won't defend that bullshit, all I'm saying is there are legitimate reasons for forfeiture. Clearly this poor guys dad is a blatant abuse/corruption example.

of course there are. However, like everything else the burden of proof should be on law enforcement, not the other way around.

Top Bottom