• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel releases 'covers' to mark the start of the college football season

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Hook 'Em

Right, it is Hook 'em, the costume mascot, as opposed to Bevo, the regular mascot.

But on Hook 'em's bandana is a Tennessee T. The Texas T is made up of straight lines, like the one in your image, while the Tennessee T has inverted curves, like the one in the marvel poster.

It's a pretty stupid mistake.

Sobriquet

Right, it is Hook 'em, the costume mascot, as opposed to Bevo, the regular mascot.

But on Hook 'em's bandana is a Tennessee T. The Texas T is made up of straight lines, like the one in your image, while the Tennessee T has inverted curves, like the one in the marvel poster.

It's a pretty stupid mistake.

Ah I see. Didn't look that closely. I'm a Texas grad, I should know better. :p

SexyFish

Banned
As someone attending the University of Tennessee and seeing that T.

large.jpg

UGA hasn't been relevant since Herschel Walker.

I want a cover of a yellowjacket blowing out a bulldog's knees

http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia/vs/georgia-tech

http://www.winsipedia.com/wisconsin/vs/georgia

http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia/vs/auburn

http://www.winsipedia.com/ole-miss/vs/georgia

Ray Goff's bowl record: 2–2
W 1998-01-01 Outback Bowl Wisconsin 33 6 Jim Donnan
W 1998-12-30 Peach Bowl Virginia 35 33 Jim Donnan
W 2000-01-01 Outback Bowl Purdue 28 25 Jim Donnan
W 2000-12-24 Oahu Bowl Virginia 37 14 Jim Donnan
Jim Donnan's bowl record: 4–0
L 2001-12-28 Music City Bowl Boston College 16 20 Mark Richt
W 2003-01-01 Sugar Bowl Florida State 26 13 Mark Richt
W 2004-01-01 Capital One Bowl Purdue 34 27 Mark Richt
W 2005-01-01 Outback Bowl Wisconsin 24 21 Mark Richt
L 2006-01-01 Sugar Bowl West Virginia 35 38 Mark Richt
W 2006-12-30 Chick-fil-A Bowl Virginia Tech 31 24 Mark Richt
W 2008-01-01 Sugar Bowl Hawaii 41 10 Mark Richt
W 2009-01-01 Capital One Bowl Michigan State 24 12 Mark Richt
W 2009-12-28 Independence Bowl Texas A&M 44 20 Mark Richt
L 2010-12-31 Liberty Bowl Central Florida 6 10 Mark Richt
L 2012-01-02 Outback Bowl Michigan State 30 33 Mark Richt
W 2013-01-01 Capital One Bowl Nebraska 45 31 Mark Richt
L 2014-01-01 Gator Bowl Nebraska 19 24 Mark Richt
W 2014-12-30 Belk Bowl Louisville 37 14 Mark Richt
Mark Richt's bowl record: 9–5
Bryan McClendon's bowl record: 1–0
W 2016-01-02 TaxSlayer Bowl Penn State 24 17 Bryan McClendon (interim)
Overall bowl record: 29–19–3

Depends where you're at. Chicago, the Northeast, and the West Coast (sans Oregon) don't really care for it, while it's extremely big in most of the Midwest, the South, and the Mountain States.

I don't know that I'd say the West Coast doesn't care for it. Stanford, Cal, USC, and UCLA are all pretty big programs with pretty big fan bases. And the only reason Chicago doesn't care for it is because they don't really have a team (no matter how much Northwestern and U of I would like to claim otherwise).

Maddness

Damn, did mcfarlane draw the Auburn/Clemson one? Fucking sweet! God I can't wait to watch my team dumpster fire another season DAMN YOU JAY JACOBS!

I don't know that I'd say the West Coast doesn't care for it. Stanford, Cal, USC, and UCLA are all pretty big programs with pretty big fan bases. And the only reason Chicago doesn't care for it is because they don't really have a team (no matter how much Northwestern and U of I would like to claim otherwise).

Yeah I agree. The only region of the US it's really not that popular compared to other sports is the North East. Obviously because they don't have any traditional powers and have been in lesser conferences.

Draxal

Yeah I agree. The only region of the US it's really not that popular compared to other sports is the North East. Obviously because they don't have any traditional powers and have been in lesser conferences.

Nah, first off Chicago has a team (its Notre Dame), and Notre Dame is the default team for a lot of the fans in the North East (we have a lot of Irish and Italians up here). And even after that awful scandal, PSU fans still pack Beaver Stadium.

We also had more posters in this thread than Cal had for its spring game. Stanford's attendance isn't nearly as good as it should be for a team as good as it is, and Cal has had a rough spot from that they're recovering, its nothing like the SEC and the Midwest in popularity.

Otoh, USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington fill those seats.

Nah, first off Chicago has a team (its Notre Dame), and Notre Dame is the default team for a lot of the fans in the North East (we have a lot of Irish and Italians up here). And even after that awful scandal, PSU fans still pack Beaver Stadium.

We also had more posters in this thread than Cal had for its spring game. Stanford's attendance isn't nearly as good as it should be for a team as good as it is, and Cal has had a rough spot from that they're recovering, its nothing like the SEC and the Midwest in popularity.

Otoh, USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington fill those seats.

Notre Dame has about as much of a claim to Chicago as Northwestern does, which is barely any. I might have said they were Chicago's team back during the Holtz era (when everyone else in the state sucked and they were basically a national team instead of a regional one), but everything past that has basically lost them whatever small grip on the actual city that they had.

And I say that as U of I alum that has watched them flail in their attempts to claim the city and arguably not even be as popular as Northwestern for the past 10-15 years.

Edit: Which reminds me of the time I went to the Nike store on the Magnificent Mile in downtown Chicago and couldn't find any Illini gear outside of a hat.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Auburn/Clemson one is a classic Spiderman/Venom cover, no?

Edit: found it. Kinda close
913003.jpg

yeah that's pretty blatant homage. Wonder if they others are too.

EDIT: actually, yeah i think they are! If you look at the signatures they all say [artist] after [McFarlane/Kirby/etc]. They gotta be referencing famous covers or pages.

The Bama/ USC one is good--it's the right level of cartoony. But that Clemson/ Auburn looks like two sexually confused kittens rolling around.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Now that we're at the end of the season and it's playoff time for the FBS, they've released a monstrosity of a cover for the semifinal games.

C0ULF6VXUAAdgTR.jpg

bama-sama kawaii desu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom