• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Jingo

Its oil ocean act 2 boss bugges with tails? I lost all my lives to that boss, bad hitboxes, lost rings without being touched and the rings almost instantly disappear, wth? I didnt had any trouble with sonic or knuckes but i swear to god its starting to look like a dark souls boss.

Its oil ocean act 2 boss bugges with tails? I lost all my lives to that boss, bad hitboxes, lost rings without being touched and the rings almost instantly disappear, wth? I didnt had any trouble with sonic or knuckes but i swear to god its starting to look like a dark souls boss.

Shouldn't be bugged. Were you hit with any projectiles?

VeeP

God damn it :(. Someone told me it was 20 medals to unlock Mean Bean Machine/Puyo. I've slowly worked my way to 20 and now I find out I need ALL the medals to unlock it :(.

FSLink

Banned
God damn it :(. Someone told me it was 20 medals to unlock Mean Bean Machine/Puyo. I've slowly worked my way to 20 and now I find out I need ALL the medals to unlock it :(.

It's not all medals. I got it before all medals. I think it's around 20 but probably a few more.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/KSbZNbEl.jpg This is how many I had when I unlocked it I think (took a screenshot when I checked to play it for the first time)

projectiles, die when touching the oil and sometimes i dont die, its really a mess

The oil will kill you if you're on a platform as it's being dragged down, and also if you're placed into hitstun and fall into it (since you can't jump while being knocked back), If the character is in a neutral state you can stay in the oil all day without any consequence.

Kalnoky

Has anyone else had major performance issues on Xbox One? I've had 3 times now that when I open the game to find insane frame rate drops (20fps-ish with the worst frame pacing I've ever seen) on the main menu. They carry over to the main game if I try starting it. I have to quit the game, restart it, and then the game is suddenly fine and at the proper frame rate. I've also had situations where I get noticeable frame rate drops when I start going really fast. Restarting the game seems to help in those cases too. I also get a big stutter whenever I get an achievement.

Do you leave the game running in the background and then boot it straight out of suspend when you come back to play? Not saying your issues are 100% caused by that, but I've experienced tons of issues in many games due to resuming play from suspend after leaving for a few hours. Overwatch will often have huge frame drops and no sound when I open it back up from suspend, for instance. Rock Band 4 would have gameplay stuttering, something I'd never seen in the entire series, if I didn't make sure to quit out of it and relaunch it before playing next time.

Some people are also saying the Xbone Sonic Mania issues might be tied to Game DVR/streaming options? Weird. The Xbox OS seems crazy, man, haha.

tribal24

Banned
Playing this on the switch handheld, i wish nintendo made better d-pads luckily i got a pro controller but i'd instantly buy a new joy con with a better dpad

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Playing this on the switch handheld, i wish nintendo made better d-pads luckily i got a pro controller but i'd instantly buy a new joy con with a better dpad
Switch dpad is fantastic and after playing this game I take back everything bad I ever said about it. It's straight up the best feeling pad I've experienced on a Nintendo platform. Feels more like a PlayStation dpad. Feels so right. Nice and clicky, decent size, buttons are just the right size apart from each other than the thumb moves naturally between them. Perfect for a side scroller.

13ruce

Banned
And just like that i ordered a classic sonic 25 anniversary toy/small figure set. (3 pack with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and their coins).

Can't find a Sonic amiibo anywhere and i aint gonna pay 15+ euros on worldwide shipping so this should do instead and i prefer the classic designs anyway:p

Funny cuz i always liked modern sonic more before playin all classics and mania. Now it's reversed and i like Classic more.

Edit: these:
maxresdefault.jpg

Opa-Pa

And just like that i ordered a classic sonic 25 anniversary toy/small figure set. (3 pack with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and their coins).

Can't find a Sonic amiibo anywhere and i aint gonna pay 15+ euros on worldwide shipping so this should do instead and i prefer the classic designs anyway:p

Funny cuz i always liked modern sonic more before playin all classics and mania. Now it's reversed and i like Classic more.

maxresdefault.jpg

Boy, I've been avoiding buying a set like this for a couple of years now... But after Mania it's impossible to resist.

I finally have all the emeralds, I still want Super Sonic tied to another button, my drop dashes! My Music!

I can safely say at this point that the special stages here are the best in the series, they nail it, I wish there were more of them.

maxresdefault.jpg
Do you have a link or name for these? I'd like to get them too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
"Why on Earth are you mapping Blue Spheres stages?"
"Because I've lost control of my life."

Yeah, I'm posting about this again.

When you unlock the dedicated Blue Spheres mini-game in the Extras menu, you get the choice of "Original" or "Mania" mode. Original mode appears to give you a semi-randomly generated stage that can be found in the dedicated S&K + Sonic 1 lock-on game. There are 128 distinct patterns in this game, any 4 of which are selected and stitched together into a single stage for you to play. This page has a lot more info about how that works.

Mania mode switches things up a little by giving you two new types of spheres: green spheres that turn blue upon touching them, and purple spheres that warp you to other purple spheres upon touching them and deactivate after use.

What I find curious, though, is that I've only seen 8 distinct patterns in this mode, no matter how many times I play it. These are literally all of the patterns that I've seen:

f353bPo.png
dRr35bI.png
1GWQnZb.png
OJB0yhs.png

tqb3QAQ.png
R6vD9hw.png
tqN67Kj.png
Q2SSM3O.png

- The 5th and 8th patterns don't have any new sphere types and are identical to 2 corresponding patterns found in Original mode.
- The 7th pattern is the only wholly new pattern for Mania mode and has no corresponding pattern in Original mode.
- The other 5 patters are slightly modified versions of patterns found in Original mode.

Furthermore:

- If you receive a stage consisting of nothing but the 1st and/or 7th patterns, then it's impossible to get a Perfect. (Patterns in Original mode are designed in such a way that this isn't an issue.)
- The purple warp spheres can be really unfair. If your stage has multiple copies of the 6th pattern, then there's a decent chance that you'll be warped into a pattern that you've already visited, making it extremely difficult to avoid a sphere that you've previously turned red.

I've tried to reach out to the devs a couple of times to confirm if this mode is functioning as intended, particularly with regard to the very small number of patterns that I've seen (8 in Mania mode vs the presumably full set of 128 for Original). I never heard back, though.

Let me know if you find a pattern that isn't mapped out in this post.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is it normal that my Blue Sphere stages are out of order? Every single LP I've seen on YT follow the same structure (Beige and orange level> dark green and blue level> light beige and brown level>light green and neon green stage>brown and light blue stage, etc). Always in the same order.

But me, I never get the stages in any particular order. Is it a bug or something?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is it normal that my Blue Sphere stages are out of order? Every single LP I've seen on YT follow the same structure (Beige and orange level> dark green and blue level> light beige and brown level>light green and neon green stage>brown and light blue stage, etc). Always in the same order.

But me, I never get the stages in any particular order. Is it a bug or something?

Your first playthrough should probably be in that set order, but once you cycle through all 32 stages once, I believe it randomly selects from the stages that you've yet to clear. Also remember that Blue Spheres progress is saved separately from main game progress; if you clear a few of those stages on one file, then they stay cleared across all save files.

Stencil

I didn't think about it at the time but that happened to me, too.
One attempt, I was doing fine, with rings and then got a OHKO as soon as Tails hit one of the bosses' balls.
I'm currently stuck there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Your first playthrough should probably be in that set order, but once you cycle through all 32 stages once, I believe it randomly selects from the stages that you've yet to clear. Also remember that Blue Spheres progress is saved separately from main game progress; if you clear a few of those stages on one file, then they stay cleared across all save files.

Dammit. My download must be glitched or something. I've been deleting and restarting my file all day but I still cannot got the normal order, everyone else is getting. When I do get the normal "first" stage, I never get the second one that everyone else is getting. I'm scared shitless of getting banned from PSN for hacking or whatever, for not having the stages in the right order, so I legit can't play the game...This blows ass.

Edit. Redownloaded the game (takes a few seconds), started a fresh file ran to the first checkpoint and...Nope. Got a stage I've never seen before. What the hell is going on? I had deleted my save from PS4 storage too.

Neiteio

I finally have all the emeralds, I still want Super Sonic tied to another button, my drop dashes! My Music!

I can safely say at this point that the special stages here are the best in the series, they nail it, I wish there were more of them.
I started a new file where I unlocked all the levels but skipped the emeralds, just so I can replay levels without accidentally triggering Super Sonic.

maxresdefault.jpg

Where did you find this?

Opa-Pa

On my third playthrough with Sonic only, made it to HCZ.

Man, I swear I've taken a different route in almost every single act each time I've played them. You often see aspects of games described as helping them be more replayable, but this is the real deal, I love it. Had a great time in Stardust Speedway seeing sections of both acts I never saw before.

Also, boy, all three versions of Stardust Speedway are fucking FIRE.

I started a new file where I unlocked all the levels but skipped the emeralds, just so I can replay levels without accidentally triggering Super Sonic.

Doing this myself. Sucks that it's the only way, but it's not like I'm forcing myself to replay it anyway lol.

Slygmous

Guys, I beat all the blue sphere stages, several of them gold, but cannot get past special stage 4.
And it gets harder after this? How is everybody beating this? What am I missing?

I mastered all special stages on the original 16-bit games, why do I suck at this?

I usually get to Mach-3, then start hitting walls due to loss of control (even when jumping to turn) and eventually fall off the stage. Feels bad.

Where did you find this?

Those look like those old Jazwares figures that came out a few years ago, I think there's a classic Eggman and Metal Sonic too.

Doing this myself. Sucks that it's the only way, but it's not like I'm forcing myself to replay it anyway lol.

Use the hidden level select.
Turn debug mode on and back out of the secrets menu. While the screen is fading out press and hold the left and bottom face buttons.
When the save select menu comes back you should be hovering over the No Save file. With the the two face buttons still held down, press plus/options/start button equivalent to go to level select. In level select you can press the left face button to change characters or press the top face button to play Sonic and Tails. All other modifiers selected from the secrets menu will still apply

Neiteio

Use the hidden level select.
Turn debug mode on and back out of the secrets menu. While the screen is fading out press and hold the left and bottom face buttons.
When the save select menu comes back you should be hovering over the No Save file. With the the two face buttons still held down, press plus/options/start button equivalent to go to level select. In level select you can press the left face button to change characters or press the top face button to play Sonic and Tails. All other modifiers selected from the secrets menu will still apply
This would require me getting more medals in Blue Sphere, though. I can't seem to get more than the four I already have. I always choke at the last second. The shifting perspective and the random selection of the levels makes it hard to master them.

They're still fun, though!

Kyari

For the people asking about those Sonic toys, they're made by Tomy and can be bought individual, as a 3 pack with a more metallic paint app as pictured, or in assorted 2 packs with a comic.

Pretty easy to pick up on Amazon.

Kalnoky

I didn't think about it at the time but that happened to me, too.
One attempt, I was doing fine, with rings and then got a OHKO as soon as Tails hit one of the bosses' balls.
I'm currently stuck there.

Yeah, a couple times during my Tails only playthrough, the oil at the bottom of the screen would just kind of disappear after hitting the black ball parts, and I'd fall straight off the screen to instant death. Never happened when I was playing Sonic.

jotun?

wharhgabfdag;sd'f

game has crashed on me twice in press garden 2, I think at the exact same spot both times... get a fire shield, then there are a bunch of ice blocks with coins in them, crashes when I used the fire shield to break them

chronomac

Anyone have any tips for the
chaos emerald boss?
. I’ve tried it 4 times and not really made a ton of progress. I don’t think anything in the game leading up to that killed me 4 times.

LordKasual

Banned
wharhgabfdag;sd'f

game has crashed on me twice in press garden 2, I think at the exact same spot both times... get a fire shield, then there are a bunch of ice blocks with coins in them, crashes when I used the fire shield to break them

yeah, it's a consistent glitch destroying those blocks with fire shield

boots me right out the game

Anyone have any tips for the
chaos emerald boss?
. I’ve tried it 4 times and not really made a ton of progress. I don’t think anything in the game leading up to that killed me 4 times.

Fight him on the ground. Don't fly. Try to avoid orb shots.

Beat him my first try using that method a gaffer posted a few pages back.

At this juncture, they need to add more friends that I can beat this game with. I'm that addicted to it :(

I'll take Amy.

I just murdered the 5th special stage with 30 seconds left in the bag. I think contrary to common wisdom I went for the rings that were practically in my way and focused on the blue spheres. Made sure to get the speed up box - that was essential. Almost shaking!

Top Bottom