• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix / Hasbro announce DROPMIX

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I added some basic info and stuff from Harmonix's announcements to my post above so someone with higher account privileges can make an OT.

We have to wait til 1 week before the release to make OT's I believe. This game definitely deserves it. Too many people just drove by because of the price and little understanding about how awesome this game is.

Why the hell didn't Amplitude 2016 warrant any of this licensing support?

Hasbro money bruh.

Harmonix already had the musical connections just needed the funds.

Played Freestyle at PAX today, and it's a really fun thing to fool around with. There's some serious magic happening behind the scenes to make all these tracks work together like this. No matter what the combination is, it crafts something listenable in the end result.

I can see myself dumping an irresponsible amount of money into this. Gives me DJ Hero vibes.

Some additional pics to include in the OT (I'd appreciate it if someone can make the thread since I'm still a junior)

Starter kit bundle, includes playing board, 4 playlist packs (Rock, Hip-Hop, Pop, Electronic, 15 cards each, split between 1 wild card, 2 yellow vocals, 4 red/melodies, 4 blue beats, 2 green basslines, 2 white fx/effect cards)
81e7rZqyXZL._SL1500_.jpg

Cards:

Full list of known cards is here : https://www.reddit.com/r/dropmix/comments/6wv0b4/card_list_as_of_aug_28th_sorted_by_decksymbol/ (this post won't be updated, newer threads are made, so check for a new one before posting)

Cards are sold in 16 card "Playlist Packs" (1 of the cards being of a mystery type until release) and 5 card "Discover Packs" in addition to the 60 cards/4 playlist packs included with the game board. There are no randomized packs. All packs are the same and the specific contents can be determined by the visible card in the front of the package or the symbol for the 16 card packs.

Edit:
We have to wait til 1 week before the release to make OT's I believe. This game definitely deserves it. Too many people just drove by because of the price and little understanding about how awesome this game is.

Never knew of this rule, first time wanting to make an OT. This is a game that really has to be demonstrated to sell, even the developers admit this and this thread sucks at that. First impressions are important, and I think the first stream was the best example of an intro to gameplay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o).

cj_iwakura

Amplitude was barely funded by a KS, Dropmix is being published by the largest toy company in the world

Yeah, the logistics don't surprise me... still, makes me sad, some of this music would have been incredible in Amplitude, and could have given it a marketing push.

FyreWulff

Yeah, the logistics don't surprise me... still, makes me sad, some of this music would have been incredible in Amplitude, and could have given it a marketing push.

on the upside we'll probably actually still be able to buy amplitude after five years

they've said before that they'd have no problem putting og Amplitude on PS2 classics, but the music rights are preventing it.

cj_iwakura

on the upside we'll probably actually still be able to buy amplitude after five years

they've said before that they'd have no problem putting og Amplitude on PS2 classics, but the music rights are preventing it.

I'm surprised Sony didn't use their music influence to give Amplitude some life through DLC tracks. The backers would've ponied up for it, I'm sure.

It's surreal to think that the biggest licensed track in Amplitude 2016 is from an indie game, unless you count Chris Child/Kodomo.

batbeg

This looks fucking cool and I'm almost entirely ignorant on popular music. I will definitely be buying this.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Seeing all the posts now when I get home from work tonight I'm going to make up a dropmix awareness thread. People will really like this game if they knew about it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
why is it always september whem it comes to earth wind and fire? why not would you mind

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Possibly the strangest thing I've ever seen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been to Japanese arcades. I've seen some really weird rhythm games.
Lucky!!! :p
I'm actually lucky that a town arcade 15min from me has an import rhythm section but theres not anything really that novel. Mostly just lots of DJM Technica machines, etc. Which is super dope.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
why is it always september whem it comes to earth wind and fire? why not would you mind

The song works amazing for what this game is.

Being it is a wild card it is especially awesome when it takes over the mix. The cards horns and bass part work very well and the vocals are amazing as always.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Why not Reasons?

Let's go full slow jam and do After The Love Is Gone. 65BPM of hardcore!

most of their catalog would work with games like this

September is also licensed for Rock Band, so either the song is easier to get or it's one of the few ones with separated multitracks that they need for Dropmix

It's also licensed for Just Dance. Must be a cheapy.

it was also in elite beat agents

The song works amazing for what this game is.

Being it is a wild card it is especially awesome when it takes over the mix. The cards horns and bass part work very well and the vocals are amazing as always.

im interested to see how this turns out, i just with i could have other ewf tracks to play in rhythm games

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure how the "dlc"/cards is supposed to work for this. Are they just going to release the 15 card packs weekly and you buy them? What happens if they run out?

Wow this looks so cool!

Are cards repeated in the discover packs that you get in the playlist packs? So confused, especially since Best Buy says if you order online the discover packs will be random and you can't choose and will possibly/probably get duplicates.

Wow this looks so cool!

Are cards repeated in the discover packs that you get in the playlist packs? So confused, especially since Best Buy says if you order online the discover packs will be random and you can't choose and will possibly/probably get duplicates.

They are not repeated, as far as I know. It's weird that Best Buy says the discovery packs are random, as Harmonix has repeatedly said there are no blind buys.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I'm not sure how the "dlc"/cards is supposed to work for this. Are they just going to release the 15 card packs weekly and you buy them? What happens if they run out?

This isn't going to have the same DLC schedule like rock band. The initial laumch looks like it is going to have 4 playlist packs released for it (in addition to the 4 you get with the game). And then maybe a wave 2 of the next set later this year. They promise a total of 300 cards by end of 2017.

Wow this looks so cool!

The discover packs have series numbers and each series makes up 2 new playlists. Best Buy is saying that out of the 12 discovery packs shown they will just grab a random pack and send it to you. Each pack has the same cards in it but again there are 12 packs from the released pictures so far. I wish I could just find a bundle that gives me all 12 packs together :(

I posted this earlier but this reddit thread has everything mapped out in what we know about the cards thus far

https://www.reddit.com/r/dropmix/comments/6wv0b4/card_list_as_of_aug_28th_sorted_by_decksymbol/

PS. This mix from the official dropmix twitter is amazing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dropmixgame/status/902631301764800516/video/1

Oh, never mind. I realize that what was called the bundle is actually the base game.
Sorry for the confusion. I just called it that because you're getting everything together.

They are releasing in Seasons. There's no DLC, just buying new cards and the app updates will include the new content.

They are not repeated, as far as I know. It's weird that Best Buy says the discovery packs are random, as Harmonix has repeatedly said there are no blind buys.

I'm sure when you're in-store you'll be able to pick and choose. The website probably doesn't have the infrastructure to support variations of the same item without flooding the item listings. That, or they don't know the naming scheme for different packs yet.

I suggest newcomers to this thread read my posts from a few hours ago. Hopefully they'll be included when we make an OT thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I consider the cards to be DLC of a sort...

Honestly before I get into it, my biggest fear is that the card packs will be like amiibo and impossible to find, making it essentially impossible to add to the game. I hope they have some solutions to that, even if they just sell the cards themselves.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I guess I consider the cards to be DLC of a sort...

Honestly before I get into it, my biggest fear is that the card packs will be like amiibo and impossible to find, making it essentially impossible to add to the game. I hope they have some solutions to that, even if they just sell the cards themselves.

I definitely feel the same way as you but I seem to trust Hasbro a bit more then Nintendo with all the games and stuff they have supported for years.

I also think that they have to put these cards out in mass to get people interested in the game where i as Nintendo already knew people were going to buy amiibos Up like crazy regardless.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Geez, after seeing the cards I think I might be in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I definitely feel the same way as you but I seem to trust Hasbro a bit more then Nintendo with all the games and stuff they have supported for years.

I also think that they have to put these cards out in mass to get people interested in the game where i as Nintendo already knew people were going to buy amiibos Up like crazy regardless.
I honestly have no idea how the toy market works, except that sometimes they cause stampedes on Black Friday if it's a toy that everyone wants. I hope I can just walk into a Walmart or buy from Amazon without having to stay up to 5am so I can preorder a pack before they're sold out.

Steiner

Banned
I've seen zero marketing for this. Like, not even an internet banner ad. For a $100 game that's coming out in a few weeks you'd think Hasbro at least would be putting some promotional green behind this.

Oh wow, yeah I watched the gameplay vid (first 20 or so minutes) aaaaaand, yup I'm sold. Me and my friends love card games and this looks freaking awesome.

Aaron

I've seen zero marketing for this. Like, not even an internet banner ad. For a $100 game that's coming out in a few weeks you'd think Hasbro at least would be putting some promotional green behind this.
A few weeks? Amazon says November.

I completely forgot this was coming out. Seems like a pretty fun idea, but the price for the base and all the extra cards makes me want to wait on it a bit.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Gotta say it looks damn fun. Will have to wait on availability of cards. I'm way pass the card collecting stage of my life.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
A few weeks? Amazon says November.

Amazon hasn't replaced their placeholder date yet. They announced on Friday the date is September 24th in the US.

Rest of the world hasn't been announced yet unfortunately.

I am SO in on this, looks amazing.

It releasing on a Sunday really throws a kink into shipping for preorders though. I ordered one from Best Buy (says it ships by the 21st, but no guaranteed delivery date), and one on Amazon (still a placeholder of November 1). Will hold onto whichever ships first. I am thinking it would be better actually just to go to a bunch of stores on Sunday the 24th and try to score one at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or whatever, and not have to wait for shipping. Is this even a "street date?" Do they do street dates on board games?

The thing I am even more worried about is getting all the card packs. Preorders for those did not go live at most places. Target has the playlist packs up but again no guarantee they will ship and have them to you by that Sunday. Hopefully places are well-stocked on the cards, because man that's where the real money-maker is for Hasbro/Harmonix.

Interestingly enough, Walmart had preorders up for the 4 playlist packs this weekend, and I ordered one of each, and my delivery date says Sep 7. It is possible they have the stuff early, so I will be curious to see if these do sneak out early and that they actually ship. I'll keep you posted. The listings have since either been removed or gone to "out of stock."

I wish it wasn't so hard to just give a company money to get the starter kit and one each of the card packs, but whatever. First world problems I guess but I don't want to have to "hunt" for card packs that I am missing. We will see soon enough. Online ordering doesn't seem like it should be so hard, I mean each of the "discovery" packs has got to have a different barcode, but then Best Buy is saying they will ship you random packs and a max order of 3. Meh.

MadMod

Very odd, want to see it in motion. See if its fun, like the idea though, don't take odd as a negative.

Edit: Just watched a walkthrough, looks really cool. Im interested, will wait and see if its got any depth when its out.

Top Bottom