• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillemot's purchase 2 million shares of Ubisoft

Yeah, some of those companies they have bought is not worth the amount they have paid for.

If I was an investor, I would stay clear from Canal +, for instance, since they lost all of their creative personnel

Because of Bolloré. Who knows, maybe if they sold Canal to someone who actually gives a shit they might get some talent back.

airborn

Still don't know why Vivendi is interested in Ubisoft. They seemed to have little to no interest in holding onto Actiblizzion when they sold that.
Bolloré wants to remodel Vivendi into a global media company that is able to compete with the likes of Disney, Time Warner and 21th Century Fox.

Ubisoft is a profitable company with a strong catalog of IP that would fit in nicely with Vivendi's vision of creating synergies between music, movies, television, and videogames. It's also a French company which makes it easier for them to acquire.

berzeli

Banned
Sure but it's such a small part of the group that it doesn't really mean anything to be honest. Not to mention that this acquisition was under a different board. The acquisitions happening since Bolloré took over in 2014, were things he personally wanted to buy. He then proceeded to appoint his close collaborators in everyone of them from Canal+ to Gameloft or Dailymotion. Havas is a bit different since Bolloré's son was the CEO of the company prior to its acquisition.

For perspective sake, half of Dailymotion's employees have quit since Vivendi took them over. Cnews the news channel they own was on strike for awhile too because of Bolloré and a sizable amount of them since left or were fired as well. The shitty management of Canal+ is well documented so I won't go into that but it's quite clear that Vivendi is not a good company to be under.

They may not kill 100% of their acquisitions but most of them end worse off.
Right, my entire endeavour in this thread has been trying to get people to criticise Vivendi for its actual flaws best expressed by the Bloomberg columnist I quoted earlier and am about to quote again
Beyond the money, Bollore and Vivendi executives bring zero gaming expertise or marketing muscle to the table. They see games as another vertical to help them deliver on their vision to be a European media powerhouse, whatever that means. Before Bollore took effective control of Vivendi, it used to own a controlling stake of the best video games company in the world, Activision Blizzard. But it sold it off for a low price. It's rich to see it get religion about gaming's potential now.

In reality Vivendi is now simply a holding company for Bollore's family, with little strategy guiding its moves. After closing the strategically nonsensical Havas deal, Vivendi will be a conglomerate owning the world's biggest music label, a French pay-television operator, an ad agency, and stakes in Telecom Italia and Mediaset. Video games totally makes sense in there, right? Right.

I just don't think that laughing at the amount of net cash (as if that means anything, especially when it took less than two minutes to check where a lot of it went) or trying to see who can make the most hyperbolic statement is beneficial to any sort of discussion about the very real threat of a hostile takeover.
Criticise Bolloré for being the contentious corporate raider he is, don't make shit up and criticise him for being an alien incarnation of Hitler or whatever.

Pandy

Best news I've had all day. (It's a Monday, so the bar is low.)

Outside of Nintendo, Ubisoft are the only major publisher I would miss if they closed/changed tomorrow, so here's hoping Yves and Co. can keep their hands at wheel for the foreseeable future.

Hilarion

Why are people supporting Ubisoft?

All their games are the same, they push out the most boring tripe there is. Each of their games using the exact same design philosophies and mechanics.

They need a shake-up.

Yes, South Park and Mario + Rabbids and Steep and Watch_Dogs are all the same game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

All their games are the same, they push out the most boring tripe there is. Each of their games using the exact same design philosophies and mechanics.

They need a shake-up.
alyiALa.gif

fRQhVpk.gif

42q4OZv.gif

o36mP8e.gif

uD6XG4F.gif

Ewa90Mz.gif

4XFNemh.gif

PflP04m.gif

F9Ie6hu.gif

haKpJVw.gif

QvzftSb.gif

GwoAEaj.gif

TZvS4Ur.gif

rcGEKYq.gif
Truly a dev making the same games over and over, with the EXACT same mechanics and game design.

They need a shake-up.
You would miss them if they were gone.

And what Vivendi would turn them into would be basically the same thing.

Cipherr

They need a shake-up.

Even if you believe this, you haven't explained why Vivendi is the solution to this.

Shake up doesn't actually say anything. Not every 'change' is a good change. Vivendi would just make those problems 10x worse.

Vivendi would not have allowed Mario + Rabbids to exist. I don't even know why some of you are entertaining the thought of them changing Ubisoft for the better.

I still think the Vivendi take over is impossible. Once the law is triggered, all the Guillermot family needs to do is find a White Knight to counter Vivendi.

Lots of people have vested interested into the continuation of independent Ubisoft.

Nintendo & The Province of Quebec for starters.

All these people complaining about Ubisoft making sequel after sequel of the same games are right. It's obviously not because Ubisoft wants to have a slightly guaranteed money stream to spend on more diverse projects.....

VariantX

They need a shake-up.

1. You are talking about UBI 5 years ago.
2. Vivendi does not give a fuck about design philosophies or anything other than exploiting the brands available to them. It would be like having 2 Activisions in the market.

All these people complaining about Ubisoft making sequel after sequel of the same games are right. It's obviously not because Ubisoft wants to have a slightly guaranteed money stream to spend on more diverse projects.....

Exactly

I love Ubisofts output

Also If r6: siege goes down then I'll be sad

Setsuna

1. You are talking about UBI 5 years ago.
2. Vivendi does not give a fuck about design philosophies or anything other than exploiting the brands available to them. It would be like having 2 Activisions in the market.

5 years ago Ubisoft put out

ZombiU
Trials Evolution
Ghost Recon Future soldier
Rocksmith
just dance 4
I am alive
far cry 3
Assassin's creed 3

Like what?

eizarus

Banned

They need a shake-up.
This has to be a troll post. Right?

If it's not then you're an idiot. Everything you said is literally and factually wrong

I haven't been the biggest fan of Ubisoft in recent years, but Mario + Rabbids reminded me that they really can put out some creative stuff. A takeover by Vivendi would be horrible on every metric.

wbEMX

They need a shake-up.

Those kind of posts often come from people who don't have a freaking clue what they are actually talking about. Maybe next time you educate yourself or play some more recent Ubisoft games before you post something like this, mate.

On topic: That are some great news. Vivendi needs to stay the hell off of gaming. Just look at how they handled Activision before Acti got "independent".

They need a shake-up.
Their indie games and smallest productions are among the most varied of AAA publishers.

Calm Mind

Ubisoft's E3:

Mario + Rabbids: Mushroom Kingdom turn based strategy game
The Crew 2: Racing game with cars, boats, planes
Transference: Interesting and different looking VR game
Skull and Bones: Naval combat
Starlink: Space shooter
Far Cry 5: FPS
South Park TFBW: Cartoony RPG
Just Dance 2018: Party game
BG&E2: Third person action game

Sony's E3:

Uncharted Lost Legacy: Third person action game
Horizon DLC: Third person action game
Days Gone: Third person action game
Shadow of the Colussus: Third person action game
God of War: Third person action game
Detroit: Third person action game
Spiderman: Third person action game

And you honestly think Ubisoft are the ones always doing the same type of games?

This needs to be quoted every time someone says Sony had the better E3 conference this year.

Jigorath

Banned
Holy shit, does that mean they're basically safe now?

Nah, not even close.

Vivendi is very close to the ownership required to launch a takeover bid. Once Vivendi hits 30%, they have to make a mandatory tender offer.

This needs to be quoted every time someone says Sony had the better E3 conference this year.

Why would fanboy nonsense need to be quoted?

EDIT: Also, holy hell Crossing Eden, do you really need 14 GIFs to prove a point? Making my browser sputter like crazy here.

Nokterian

Good job on Yves and his brothers, ubisoft needs to stay strong and for the love of god prevent that vivendi swallows them. It will be the end of there unique games as we know it, major layoffs and no creative stuff.

We saw what happend with Activision, that didn't turn out well and the numerous of studio's closed in the process.

N7.Angel

They need a shake-up.

Seriously ? there is no developers atm with more diversity than Ubisoft.

I'm happy for the brothers. They seem dedicated to gaming. I have issues with Vs new CEO, but I'm not sure how much they hurt Acti. Seems to me they didn't really change from 2007-2013. Shitty license games that they've always done, and only two major flubs from the top of my head; Ghosts, and Diablo 3.

I'm so glad people around here are finally giving Ubisoft their due. They've improved drastically over the years and at least try new things.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've developed a very healthy respect for Ubisoft in the last couple years. They've been using their cash cows like AC and Far Cry to put out genuinely experimental multiplayer titles like For Honor and R6: Siege and they also clearly care about their smaller titles like Mario Rabbids or that Might and Magic X release a few years ago. I hope they remain independent of Vivendi

Vashu

I can't believe international legislation doesn't offer protection against hostile takeovers. It's bonkers.

I know right? I get that people might want to take over companies on the cheap, so they pick them up when they have something they want and their stocks have been declining.

But extremely hostile takeovers like this should fall under a special kind of law, especially if it is known when the company being taken over is currently healthy and will suffer a lot from said takeover.

Top Bottom