• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Jolkien

There's no guide that I know of, but I can look for the ones you are missing in my game, if you want.

That'd be great. I'll spoiler tag the fish I already got in case someone in the thread consider this a spoiler:

Snow Crab
Armorica Carp
Tiger Rockfish
Rockeater
Carp
Walleye
Angelfish
Rainbow Trout
Trout
Salmon
Eel
Grass Carp
Gluttonous Bass
Viperfish
Catfish
Queen Crab
Gold Salmon

That'd be great. I'll spoiler tag the fish I already got in case someone in the thread consider this a spoiler:

Snow Crab
Armorica Carp
Tiger Rockfish
Rockeater
Carp
Walleye
Angelfish
Rainbow Trout
Trout
Salmon
Eel
Grass Carp
Gluttonous Bass
Viperfish
Catfish
Queen Crab
Gold Salmon

The ones you are missing are:

Kasagin; Bait used: Red flies: Caught at St.Ursula Byroad Estuary/Medical College
Snake eel; Bait used: Snow Crab; at West Crosbell Highway
Electric eel; used: Carp; at Geofront B division
Wels catfish; used: Carp; at East Crosbell Highway
Arch-fronted Crab; used: snow crab; at The Ancient Battlefield
Noble carp; used: Dumplings DX; at Armerica old road
serpenthead; used: snake eel; at St.Ursula Byroad estuary.*** If I'm not mistaken, this one is the legendary fish of the game, and for you to try to catch it you need to have completed the fishing notes and talk to the fishing guild recepcionist.

That should be it.

Jiraiza

Anyone who doesn't like KeA probably puts ketchup on their scrambled eggs.

I love KeA, and I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs. Fight me!

And good lord, chapter 2 in Ao is so loooong. But at least
Tiosuke is finally back. Praise Tio. Now I can enjoy more Randy and Tio bantz again.

Jolkien

I love KeA,
and I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs
. Fight me!

Tiosuke is finally back. Praise Tio. Now I can enjoy more Randy and Tio bantz again.

So this is what a monster looks like. ;)

I love KeA, and I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs. Fight me!

That remix of
Fateful Confrontation during Campanella's game
was fantastic.

Jolkien

Zero no Kiseki fishing spoiler:
I'm trying to find the Noble Carp does anybody know where the fishing spot in Amorica Old Road is ? The only fishing spot I find in that direction is near the bridge on the East Crossbell Highway

Nevermind I got it. As usual, complaining online always work.

Zero no Kiseki fishing spoiler:
I'm trying to find the Noble Carp does anybody know where the fishing spot in Amorica Old Road is ? The only fishing spot I find in that direction is near the bridge on the East Crossbell Highway

Nevermind I got it. As usual, complaining online always work.

Yes that was a mistake from my part, should have been more specific. The one in the bridge is for the
welsh catfish
I'm trying to remember what was the prize for fishing in Zero, but no luck. Thank god they made fishing in Ao more fun and easier to complete. Better prizes as well.

So like mid chapter 3 Sky SC spoilers but...

Renne scares the hell out of me. This lone girl who has a portrait (IE at least a minor character) and her parents disappearing then later the same day you find out Oroborous has arcaisms(or however its spelt) that can mimic humans and her parents were acting strangely... Shes totally a psycho isn't she? Shes going to do something absolutely horrible, I can already see it coming. Her Parents are already dead or were never really alive. If I'm wrong I will be fucking shocked.

Psxphile

So like mid chapter 3 Sky SC spoilers but...

Renne scares the hell out of me. This lone girl who has a portrait (IE at least a minor character) and her parents disappearing then later the same day you find out Oroborous has arcaisms(or however its spelt) that can mimic humans and her parents were acting strangely... Shes totally a psycho isn't she? Shes going to do something absolutely horrible, I can already see it coming. Her Parents are already dead or were never really alive. If I'm wrong I will be fucking shocked.

Speculation sure is fun. Well, enjoy the rest of the chapter.

Jolkien

Yes that was a mistake from my part, should have been more specific. The one in the bridge is for the
welsh catfish
I'm trying to remember what was the prize for fishing in Zero, but no luck. Thank god they made fishing in Ao more fun and easier to complete. Better prizes as well.

It gives a Grail Locket and an accessory that gives DEX +50%

Speculation sure is fun. Well, enjoy the rest of the chapter.

Lol well finished chapter 3.
Yep, Angel of Slaughter indeed. Creepy child is creepy. I didn't see it until after but I really should have caught on right away with the 'tea party' thing anyway. It's clearly spelt out from that alone.

Honestly when Anelace didn't join the party I was afraid that she was going to get murdered by Renne but thankfully that didn't happen but Renne did ask about her during Chapter 3 and wanted to meet her so that doesn't bode well. She also didn't rejoin my party either which makes me think if any of these playable characters are dying its certainly her but Trails generally has a low death count so we'll see.

I enjoyed that chapter but thinking back on it it really was a massive wild goose chase. If I ever replay through these games again its one chapter I'll really consider just skipping the side quests and stuff, while it had a nice payoff it really felt like busywork more then any other chapter in this game for FC.

Chapter 4 is one of SCs best.

Awesome already started off well:
Starting with Joshua fighting Vander, that was great. Then Estelle having a heart to heart with Oliviert and I'm assuming hes going to get revealed pretty soon with how much they are hinting about it.

PK Gaming

header.jpg

From the moment I started this game, every waking instance of the game was pure bliss. It's an incredibly confident game that somehow manages to deliver on virtually every promise it makes, offering tons and tons of neat surprises, heartbreaking reveals and setting up for literally every major Kiseki game thus far. It's one of those rare games that manages to nail the holy trinity (gameplay, story, characters), on top of having a killer soundtrack.

Story

As a follow up to SC, 3rd does not disappoint. While the main narrative is mostly self-contained, it's not to the game's detriment. The game is extremely character focused, moreso than any game in the series I've played, which results in tons of character development across the board. The thing that struck me though, was the high level of level of craft (pun not intended) that simply isn't present in the previous games. FC/SC have comparatively solid writing for an RPG, but 3rd is like, 2 steps above them. While i'm sure the localization had a huge hand in that, it's honestly one of the best written RPG's I've played. And it's not because the game is super deep or it imparts this amazingly relevant message; it merely sets out to do one thing and does it amazingly well. 3rd presents a story that is equal parts uplifting and equal parts miserable. It's hopelessly optimistic and crushingly realistic (
Estelle's speech to Renne actually destroyed me, lmao.
). As I've said before, it's harder for me to get emotional when playing games these days, but 3rd had me. I haven't played the Zero games, but so far this game is Falcom's peak as far as writing goes.

Characters

This one is pretty simple. So Kiseki games have good characters, and 3rd is pretty much no different in the regard. The thing worth noting though, is the level of quality. The Sky games have always had a great characters, but 3rd literally asks the player to hold its beer because jesus christ. 3rd puts an unbelievable amount of time and care into developing its characters. Everyone, and I mean everyone—from the goofy and sassy Josette to the more complex
Renne
get a sizeable amount of development. Even one-shot NPCs like the Ravens get some love and it just blows my mind that Falcom went there. Only a developer who truly, genuinely cares about about their characters would go to such lengths to develop them. The fact that they went this far just for the fans is genuinely touching. It's pretty much the ideal kind of fanservice; no garbage hot spring sequences or bikini's, just A+ stuff all around.

The star of the show Kevin, does not disappoint either. I almost feels like you guys undersold how good he was, because his arc and backstory beat the ever loving shit out of me. Kevin's take on the
"dark, conflicted"
protagonist ranks among the best I've experienced in the genre so far, and I really love how his character played out. Like, Estelle's my ride or die gal, but Kevin's barely behind her, and on some days I feel like I like him more. I was pleasantly surprised by Ries too, who's simple introduction did not at all convey how powerful of a character she would end up becoming. Because damn, Ries has all of the best moments. The most notable being the obvious
(ie: "we're family!"moment)
which is one of the game's emotional peaks. Honestly, Ries is a big reason why this game worked so well for me.

I could literally go on and on, but the way this game treats its characters is unparalleled, lol. Like, I can't think of a game that treats its characters better.

Gameplay

I've always felt that the FC/SC games have fluctuated in terms of gameplay. On the one hand, character building is fun, the battle system is good and the games have a bunch of brilliant QoL features. And when the quest design works, playing through the game is an absolute blast. On the other hand, it's hard to get over the fact that these games can be a total slog sometimes. Worse still, when the game doubles down on it with egregious (looking at you, Chapter 6/8 SC) it gets downright unfun. Anyway, for a game that's functionally a non-stop dungeon crawler, 3rd manages to avoid being a slog completely. The pacing and dungeon design is killer. The game achieves this by being broken up into a bunch of surprisingly well designed mini dungeons. This allows you to play in quick bursts, knocking off the relatively short dungeons out before continuing on. 3rd manages to consistently change things up as well. Sure, it's usually a straight shot to the end of the dungeon, but the wrinkles in the design are interesting. (Splitting up the team into 2 different groups being my absolute favorite gimmick). Also there's a teleport feature. A teleport feature. And if you want to break up the action, there are a bunch of convenient doors (that function as sidequests) that all dish out this game's amazing character/world building segments.

Character progression in this game is kickass. You're given a TON of varied characters with unique skillsets to play with, with kickass items that make things even more FUN. Think Anelace and her Jinu, giving the Gladiator gear to your favorite husbando or waifu, stacking Crimson Eye's, etc. The Sky is truly the limit in this game. Compared to FC/SC, I spent a lot more time building my characters, which came in handy since the enemy encounter design is way better in this game. Some of these bosses are actually challenging, even on the default difficulty!

Closing

Trails in the Sky the 3rd is a fantastic game. It's confident and gutsy, goes places most games wouldn't ever dream of going and is immensely respectful to each and every one of its characters. All of that plus having one of the best damn localizations I've ever experienced.

I'm so, so glad I got to play this game.

Jolkien

Just finished Zero, wow so many questions left unanswered. I really liked it. The cast is great, Crossbell is an amazing place and as usual Falcom gave us an epic soundtrack to accompany us through the game.

It'll be hard to go from the okay/decent translation to the horror oh Ao's but I'll get through it with the spreadsheet,

Jesus SC is just 100% character development all of the time. I mean I love it but man it would've made FC a lot better if at least some of this had been in that game. I know that Cold Steel 1 and 2 were originally meant to be a single game but I think that applies to FC/SC more then Cold Steel atm.

Right in the middle of chapter 5
Agate just got his ass handed to him and I'm learning about his sister. I mean its pretty predictable what happens but the character interactions really bring it to another level.

Chapter 4 was pretty great at this too, I legit cried when Estelle saw her mother, god that gets you right in the feels.

Edit also super excited now since I know... (Cold Steel 3 spoilers maybe? just returning character spoilers)
Agate and Tita are returning in Cold Steel 3, IDK how much of a role they'll end up playing but its nice to see and know them now.

Closing

Trails in the Sky the 3rd is a fantastic game. It's confident and gutsy, goes places most games wouldn't ever dream of going and is immensely respectful to each and every one of its characters. All of that plus having one of the best damn localizations I've ever experienced.

I'm so, so glad I got to play this game.

Yes! So good to hear this went over well for Yet Another Satisfied 3rd Player (told you it wasn't done with you yet).

Jesus SC is just 100% character development all of the time. I mean I love it but man it would've made FC a lot better if at least some of this had been in that game. I know that Cold Steel 1 and 2 were originally meant to be a single game but I think that applies to FC/SC more then Cold Steel atm.

Right in the middle of chapter 5
Agate just got his ass handed to him and I'm learning about his sister. I mean its pretty predictable what happens but the character interactions really bring it to another level.

Chapter 4 was pretty great at this too, I legit cried when Estelle saw her mother, god that gets you right in the feels.

Edit also super excited now since I know... (Cold Steel 3 spoilers maybe? just returning character spoilers)
Agate and Tita are returning in Cold Steel 3, IDK how much of a role they'll end up playing but its nice to see and know them now.

YES!

FC/SC:
Yup. There's that slow-cooked "wheels-within-wheels" storytelling coming in for a landing there. It keeps happening. Prepare.

And yeah, Ch.4's ending is some incredibly dirty DIRTY pool on Falcom's part, and I relished every second of it, those magnificent bastards.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Zero, wow so many questions left unanswered. I really liked it. The cast is great, Crossbell is an amazing place and as usual Falcom gave us an epic soundtrack to accompany us through the game.

It'll be hard to go from the okay/decent translation to the horror oh Ao's but I'll get through it with the spreadsheet,

Is the spreadsheet that much worse? I've only seen some of the intro from Zero on a youtube video and the dialogue was pretty damn terrible, plus all the poor lines that are practically becoming memes.

jb1234

Is the spreadsheet that much worse? I've only seen some of the intro from Zero on a youtube video and the dialogue was pretty damn terrible, plus all the poor lines that are practically becoming memes.

Yeah, after XSeed's stunning work on 3rd, there's no way I'd accept anything less from the Crossbell games.

preta

The true horror is in the actual Ao translation patch, which is a full machine translation with no editing. The spreadsheet isn't that good, but it's a far cry from that.

Just make sure that if you're going to play Ao with the spreadsheet, you get the one with the corrected terminology. The initial one had a couple of major terms translated in a way that was neither accurate nor consistent with established series terminology.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The true horror is in the actual Ao translation patch, which is a full machine translation with no editing. The spreadsheet isn't that good, but it's a far cry from that.

Just make sure that if you're going to play Ao with the spreadsheet, you get the one with the corrected terminology. The initial one had a couple of major terms translated in a way that was neither accurate nor consistent with established series terminology.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

I'm not touching Zero until Zerker is finished with it, and Ao until someone does something similar with it. Might be a long wait for Ao though.

preta

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

I'm not touching Zero until Zerker is finished with it, and Ao until someone does something similar with it. Might be a long wait for Ao though.

Well, the same team that's working on Zero is moving on to Ao afterwards.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the same team that's working on Zero is moving on to Ao afterwards.

That's just the hacking/translating folks that have been working on it for around a year now, isn't it? Zerker hasn't confirmed that he will work on it from what I've seen, last I saw he said something along the lines of "Let's get over one barrier at a time." Seems like he might be interested but doesn't want to commit to it in case he gets burned out working on Zero.

I know Floofy and Guan have implied or outright said they don't intend to handle editing for Ao beyond advisory roles.

preta

That's just the hacking/translating folks that have been working on it for around a year now, isn't it? Zerker hasn't confirmed that he will work on it from what I've seen, last I saw he said something along the lines of "Let's get over one barrier at a time." Seems like he might be interested but doesn't want to commit to it in case he gets burned out working on Zero.

I know Floofy and Guan have implied or outright said they don't intend to handle editing for Ao beyond advisory roles.

Zerker definitely does intend to work on Ao too.

c1d

Zerker definitely does intend to work on Ao too.
Absolute legend. CS2 PC early-mid 2018, Zero mid-late 2018, CS3 early-mid 2019 would be a pretty great result for kiseki fans
unless XSeed/Falcom ultimate troll exists of working on the game before release for the first time ever

supremezerker

Neo Member
Well, there goes my big, dramatic reveal that I was gonna do on Twitter once Zero was released. For shame! Either way, Trails from Zero is my only priority right now, regardless what projects the future might hold.

Soooo just played, started the first few hours of CSII on Vita, just a few questions:

Does the game start you off at Level 40 or is there a reset somewhere?
This wasn't carried over from my CS1 save was it? Do enemies in the beginning have a higher dodge rate because it seems like every 1/3 attack they dodge or do the beginner weapons for Rean and Tovdal suck?

PK Gaming

Soooo just played, started the first few hours of CSII on Vita, just a few questions:

This wasn't carried over from my CS1 save was it? Do enemies in the beginning have a higher dodge rate because it seems like every 1/3 attack they dodge or do the beginner weapons for Rean and Tovdal suck?

1) Yes
2) Enemies don't have higher dodge rates, skills have much lower hit rates. Start running Hit quartz, and never, ever look back.

Thud

You gotta use arts for fastartsman.

1) yea level 40 is the starting point for CS2
2) Accuracy was lowered for CS2 for some reason. Run accuracy or hit quartz on everyone that depends on crafts/melee

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there goes my big, dramatic reveal that I was gonna do on Twitter once Zero was released. For shame! Either way, Trails from Zero is my only priority right now, regardless what projects the future might hold.

Forgot you got an account here. You're the hero we need, I'm greatly anticipating the fruits of your labor.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
A single accessory or quartz with a 50% boost is usually good enough for most people, but if you're trying to delay bosses into oblivion you want 100%.

Jolkien

For Zero the translation was fine, it certainly wasn't perfect but I could understand 99% of the story. Ao yeah I'll need the spreadsheet it's pretty much un-redeable. I'll revisit Crossbell once the fan translation for Supremezerker, Guan, Floofy is done and again if Xseed decide to bring them but I won't hold my breath. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen. I really wanna make sure I played both Crossbell game before CS3 since it looks like it'll play a big part in it.

Jolkien

Ao prologue.
I did not expect to start with Arios in my team, he's a beast. Dudley certainly trained a whole lot between Zero and Ao he's a lot stronger now. The game mention it's been a few months, does anybody know precisely how long it's been betwen Zero and Ao ?

Top Bottom