• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hope not. I booked vacation time to play through it :(

There is not enough vacation days for me to do that XD i am still playing Witcher 3 for example XD And if there is photo mode or support for Nvidia Ansel, oh boy i will never finish that game :D

Pachimari

Holy shit I just sold my PlayStation 4 + 33 physical games, PS Eye, stand, cover etc. for $400, which means I have no more consoles left. Which also means it's the first time I am a PC owner only. Ever since I was 5 years I've been playing on the Super Famicom, Game Boy, got my first PlayStation at my 10th birthday and ever since I've owned every single console and handheld. This is gonna be an interesting time. I can probably manage with that Steam library but it's gonna be interesting to me.

Tizoc

Holy shit I just sold my PlayStation 4 + 33 physical games, PS Eye, stand, cover etc. for $400, which means I have no more consoles left. Which also means it's the first time I am a PC owner only. Ever since I was 5 years I've been playing on the Super Famicom, Game Boy, got my first PlayStation at my 10th birthday and ever since I've owned every single console and handheld. This is gonna be an interesting time. I can probably manage with that Steam library but it's gonna be interesting to me.

Do you have any good controllers to play with?

Dual Shock 4, Xbox 360 controller, Xbox One Elite controller and the Steam controller.

I've got the same selection and have been Elite exclusively since I got it. It really just mops the floor with everything else. Been playing Hollow Knight and DKCR with it and even the dpad is really nice.

Then again it better be at $150 lol

Pachimari

Gotta say I've almost not used either of the Elite or Steam controller, and the Elite now have analogue stick problems. So I basically have to buy a new one but at the price I might manage with what I got anyway.

yuraya

PS5 and digital future is right around the corner for consoles anyways. Getting rid of dated hardware and physical media is probably the right thing to do. 400$ seems like a solid deal.

Gotta say I've almost not used either of the Elite or Steam controller, and the Elite now have analogue stick problems. So I basically have to buy a new one but at the price I might manage with what I got anyway.

I'd contact MS support. I made a thread about the analog issues before I got one and a couple posters mentioned MS repairing controllers that were out of warranty.

Knurek

Route B in Nier:A done.
Honestly must say I don't really understand the complains people have. Sure, the locations and the general story is repeated, but there's enough new material here to find the whole process more than interesting.
Onward to C/D/E.

Anteater

Honestly must say I don't really understand the complains people have. Sure, the locations and the general story is repeated, but there's enough new material here to find the whole process more than interesting.
Onward to C/D/E.

you gotta play that same game 50 times!

I just recently used Windows store for the first time to download Forza 7 demo and had no issue with it. It's even asked me for install location and always remembered download progress correctly after all PC shutdowns. The only thing i didn't liked was deinstallation process, it's impossible to deinstall app from store, you can do this only through start menu and that's really dumb. But other than that, it's really not that terrible in my experience, i mean it's still lacking a lot features of course, but i can install and play games without a problem so i can't say i hate it or something.

Parsnip

$400 seems a bit low for 33 physical games?

Pachimari

$400 seems a bit low for 33 physical games.
Yeah, I think so too, but people are cheap skates here though lol. You never get anything worthy for games anymore, it used to be different back in the last generation when people wanted to pay up. 11 of the 33 games I sold hadn't been used either. I think three of them including Persona 5 was still in its wrapping.

Hektor

Finished Steamworld Dig 2.

I love how the game is called Steamworld Dig 2 and has you collecting cogs
GOT IT?

I'm pleased to announce it's just as relaxing and fun to play as the first one.
It's just more of the same as the first one, but the first one was only 3 hours long (while this one is 6) so i never felt burned out on what it's doing.

Definitely a nice and helpful break from DOS2.

Dev nailed 3/3 so far, that sure ain't bad.

Looking forward to whatever they're doing next

patapuf

Onward to C/D/E.

It's a bit slower due to the repeated content and I much prefer the gameplay of A and C overall.

Aaron D.

I've been console-free since the tail end of the 360/PS3 gen*.

The only reason the consoles are still under my TV (besides layziness) is Tiger Woods PGA 14 and MLB 13: The Show. :p

Hey EA, how 'bout a PGA game on Steam**?!

* feels good, man

** shameless port beg

Ladekabel

Started Lords of The Fallen. It's okay despite horrible main character design and the strange kind of fantasy stuff fellow Germans seem to love. Game controlls a little bit wonky though I beat the first boss on my first try with my ability known as circle strafing. No iframes makes me sad.

The thing that might make me put the game down is the camera. It's shittier than in the game they use to mimic. Feels like looking through a tube that they would've put up the playable characters arse if they could it seems.

zkylon

zkylewd
Onward to C/D/E.

yeah i didn't mind going through it again

route c+ is better cos it's all new content tho

Prey PC + DLC - $ 16.39 (CDKeys)

You can get an extra 5% off from their Facebook page.
This looks like the perfect price point for me, finally.
wow that's...

ok bought it

i'll go through that nightmarish intro again

I was console/handheld up until my PS3 died and I got pissed and traded in my games (I should've sold them all separately but oh well) and been a PC gamer ever since. It helps that most Microsoft games come to PC. There's just been a few PS exclusives I've missed out on that I've regretted.

Oh I guess Nintendo too but I only had their handhelds past the SNES.

Tizoc

yeah i didn't mind going through it again

route c+ is better cos it's all new content tho

wow that's...

ok bought it

i'll go through that nightmarish intro again

It should be a little cheaper if you change the currency to EUR (Seriously people CHANGE THE CURRENCY IN CDKEYS)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Any AC Origins deals yet?

I wanna pre-order it so it gets delayed

Not really, but most times when I actually do preorder something it gets delayed

Yeah, I think so too, but people are cheap skates here though lol. You never get anything worthy for games anymore, it used to be different back in the last generation when people wanted to pay up. 11 of the 33 games I sold hadn't been used either. I think three of them including Persona 5 was still in its wrapping.

That wasn't a very good deal IMO.

You can now wishlist Village Monsters (Animal Crossing meets Mother) on Steam.

Kickstarter still going.

Also, after watching Drive last night (intense!) I find Sub Rosa. Make deals and do exchanges with rival gangs for city control, bring your squad for back up, make escapes in manual-shifting cars. Resivour Dogs, meets Heat, meets Drive? I recon this is the offshoot of the original DayZ idea where cooperation was so novel, but in that case it became shoot-on-sight.

ss_52ea52eb08431beea23170babc493f9a1567785f.1920x1080.jpg

2TfeAx4.png

Pachimari

That wasn't a very good deal IMO.
It wasn’t about getting a good deal per se. it was about getting rid of it as quick as possible, so I would stop wasting money on games I would never open up anyway. I hope this can help me stop wasting money. I had to own every single Sony game physically and it became more of an obsession than hobby. That said, I agree with you.

zkylon

zkylewd
having to active using like a scanned image of a cd key feels kinda shady, i know this site is supposed to be legit but something feels off about it

anyways, prey is only 18gb? that's great

Tizoc

having to active using like a scanned image of a cd key feels kinda shady, i know this site is supposed to be legit but something feels off about it

anyways, prey is only 18gb? that's great

Get used to it, you're gonna be getting more games from them soon enough :V

MUnited83

For you.

Thankfully you can also play Super Famicom, Gameboy, the first playstation, and almost every single console and handheld on PC as well so that's quite a lot to choose even if you're "PC only" :p

Tizoc

Thankfully you can also play Super Famicom, Gameboy, the first playstation, and almost every single console and handheld on PC as well so that's quite a lot to choose even if you're "PC only" :p

If memory serves me right, you can get PSOne and PSP games off PSN via the Content Manager program on Windows, and download them to your PC. Most emulators or at least RetroArch can recognize them and play them.

Lashley

If memory serves me right, you can get PSOne and PSP games off PSN via the Content Manager program on Windows, and download them to your PC. Most emulators or at least RetroArch can recognize them and play them.

The PC truly is the master race

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I very much disagree with this. Grapple boosting and flying is exceptionally fun and has enough technique involved in it that you can pull off some great stunts while still being able to soar around mindlessly if you want (reminds me a lot of flying in Super Mario World).

I can't fathom how "traveling around the world" feels dated...you can get from one side of the city to the opposite in about 90 seconds (there's literally a side quest designed around it). The overworld has tons of nooks and crannies to poke around in, lots of visual easter eggs, and (probably too many) Riddler puzzles to tinker with. You can listen in to thug banter, which changes throughout the game based on which portion of the story you're in, beat up random thug groups leading to interrogations which mark riddler trophies on your map, or just fly over them. At certain points, you can switch over to Catwoman who has a different style of world traversal and slightly tweaked combat mechanics. All of the interior areas are just like Asylum but with amped up visual design, more variety in interaction, and some nice setpiece boss battles.

Arkham City is better than Asylum.

My language should have been more clear, "and the moments between it" being key on top of travelling that has since been improved by later games in the series.
Waiting around for a phone to ring, many repeated statements, a lot of empty areas, and very few missions that take use of the open world environments. This is okay, it's serviceable, and still plenty to find enjoyable in it if it's one's type of game and trust me I love going around to find a reference to the 1966 Batman show a block away from an All Star Batman reference even if there are no riddles or trophies connected to it, but it's very much of it's time and other games have done more with those open world spaces and what is offered in them or can be done.

Yes that means I am comparing it to other games that have come out which had more interaction in it's open world, be it GTA V even Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight that made use of areas and seeing changes in that open world as part of the missions. Maybe someone didn't like detective solving of a helicopter crash in Origins or car crash in Knight, but at least it did more with the environment. More interactions, more dialogue, more unique behaviour by the AI in the world that required me to play more than once to hear it all.

I do not dispute that fun can be had in it, I replayed it just last year for the third time with full 100%, but what it did that felt new and fresh and different back in the day, has since been done better. Yes grunts to interact with, but like Spider-Man getting a balloon for a child, it doesn't hold as much of a draw anymore to someone coming back (on an objective scale of 1 to 10).
For new players used to modern open world games, it won't feel as unique as special as it did for us when new, especially if they played the other games first.

It's a good game, but Arkham Asylum holds up better because it's main focus of those cramped areas, story driven moments, and focused direction rarely spent just wandering around (unless you get lost) on top of the unique atmosphere that other than graphics, could still be done today and seen as a triumph. All together give it greater value to return to or for new players even if mechanics improved with later games.
Hell, Arkham Asylum lets you get by 90% of the game without Detective Vision for an added challenge on top of any speed runs once wants to attempt.

So to the original question, Arkham City doesn't hold up as well for reasons I mentioned. That does not mean it's not a fun game, it does not mean enjoyment can't be had if someone is okay with what these games do, but the main draw and main focus of it's open world does not hold up as well as Asylum's main draw of it's story when other games have done the exact same thing with more refined mechanics and added things to do.

I would still recommend City to someone. I might recommend it over Origins unless they want a better story, or Knight if I don't believe they would enjoy the tank driving mind you. I might even recommend it over Asylum if someone wants open world and just flying around as Batman, but that wasn't the question of which game we personally prefer over one or the other. Just rather it has held up as well, with where games are today and what has since come out.

Also please do not misunderstand my use of dated. I do not believe "dated" means bad. Super Mario Bros is a dated game, a game made of it's time and understanding of how to make games back then, but it's still one of the greatest games ever created that I love to play.

It wasn’t about getting a good deal per se. it was about getting rid of it as quick as possible, so I would stop wasting money on games I would never open up anyway. I hope this can help me stop wasting money. I had to own every single Sony game physically and it became more of an obsession than hobby. That said, I agree with you.

The joke here would be that you are in the wrong thread but if your obsession was that bad, glad you came to your sense

If I spend even like 60 in indie or older games in a month, I feel like a moron

zkylon

zkylewd
If you ever saved during the "demo", you can continue right from there in the full version. Unless you didn't like to press F5, for some reason.

i skipped a fair bit of content cos i was just taking a peek, so i would want to replay some stuff to read all the emails and such

Lashley

who tf bumped the "Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?" thread

Wow, depending on the games you had that sounds like a bargain whoever got that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom