• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

chris121580

This is absolutely disgusting and I hope he gets sent to prison. I also hope the supposed child abuse ring is the next to get exposed

I hope this starts a chain reaction of exposing this type of abuse that I assume is rampant in Hollywood and everywhere else involving the rich and powerful.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
here's a transcript of that audio recording.

I'm telling you right now, get in here.
- What do we have to do here?
Nothing! I'm going to take a shower, you sit there and have a drink. Water.
- I don't drink.
Then have a glass of water.
- Can I stay on the bar?
No. You must come here now.
- No...
Please?
- No, I don't want to.
I'm not doing anything with you, I promise.
- I know, I don't want to. I'm sorry, I cannot.
Now you're embarrassing me. No, come in here
- No, yesterday was kind of aggressive for me.
I know—
- I need to know a person to be touched.
I won't do a thing.
- I don't want to be touched.
I won't do a thing, please. I swear I won't, just sit with me. Don't embarress me in the hotel. I'm here all the time.
- I know, but I don't want to.
Sit with me, I promise—Please sit there. Please. One minute, I ask you.
- No, I can't.
Go to the bathroom.
- Please, I don't want to do something I don't want to.
Go to the bath—Hey, come here. Listen to me.
- I want to go downstairs.
I'm not gonna do anything, you'll never see me again after this. O.K.? That's it. If you don't—if you embarrass me in this hotel while I'm staying at—
- I'm not embarrassing you.
Just walk—
- It's just that I don't, I don't feel comfortable.
Honey, don't have a fight with me in the hallway.
- It's not nothing, it's—
Please. I am not gonna do anything, I swear on my children. Please come in. On everything, I'm a famous guy.
- I'm, I'm feeling very uncomfortable right now.
Please come in now. And one minute. And if you wanna leave, when the guy comes with my jacket you can go.
- why yesterday you touch my breast?
Oh, please, I'm sorry, just come on in, I'm used to that.
- You're used to that?
Yes, come in.
- No, but I'm not used to that.
I won't do it again, come on, sit here. Sit here for a minute, please?
- No, I don't want to.
If you do this now you will [unintelligible]. Now go. Bye. Never call me again. O.K.? I'm sorry, nice to have—I promise you I won't do anything
- I know, but yesterday was too much for me.
The guy is coming. I will never do another thing to you. Five minutes. Don't ruin your friendship with me for five minutes.
- I know—but, it's kind of, like, it's too much for me, I can't.
Please, you're making a big scene here, please.
- No, but I wanna leave.
O.K., bye. Thank you.

vikki

Wasn't there a famous photographer who worked for one of the big entertainment magazines who had the same MO?

So weird, I get that same I'll feeling reading about Weinstein as I did reading about Terry Richardson. We'll see what happens with Weinstein, but Richardson still works, I believe.

Fashion designer Donna Karan (DKNY) - defending Weinstein:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/10/10/entertainment/donna-karan-harvey-weinstein/index.html

"To see it here in our own country is very difficult, but I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women," Karan said to the Daily Mail. "What are we asking? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?"

"You look at everything all over the world today, how women are dressing and what they’re asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble."

She has since apologized and said her comments are not representative of her beliefs..

hollomat

Banned
A lot of really really awful stuff in there. Hopefully this leads to criminal charges against him and fallout for those who knew this was going on and did nothing.

Really reminds me of the whole Penn state issue with Sandusky where it’s going on for years and years, but is just being covered up.

It’s horrible that he held such power that any woman who came forward to the police would likely have their careers ruined and have no charges filed against him.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Considering what's known about her relationship with her own father, it's truly harrowing to see Asia Argento having to deal with this on top of everything else. Harvey needs to suffer greatly for what he's done.
What's this about her relationship with her father? The worst I've heard is that they're not that close because he was often consumed by his filmmaking when she was growing up.

Ridley327

What's this about her relationship with her father? The worst I've heard is that they're not that close because he was often consumed by his filmmaking when she was growing up.

She elaborated a bit further in an interview with Filmmaker Magazine:

I never acted out of ambition; I acted to gain my father's attention. It took a long time for him to notice me – I started when I was nine, and he only cast me when I was 16. And he only became my father when he was my director. I always thought it was sick to choose looking at yourself on a big screen as your job. There has to be something crooked in your mind to want to be loved by everybody. It's like being a prostitute, to share that intimacy with all those people.

And consider how much that stings considering what her character goes through in The Stendahl Syndrome.

DLyscwkW4AAgCa8.jpg

Ridley327

Anyone that read Down and Dirty Pictures could not even be remotely surprised that Harvey went after Gwyneth Paltrow, and I get the feeling that the author was told to hold back on some of the stuff that was known at the time since the book was made with Harvey's full cooperation.

This is only going to get worse before it gets better for that son of a bitch.

Having big names like Paltrow and Jolie reinforcing the stories pretty much ensures Weinstein's name is going to be mud. Nobody outside of some fringe assholes are going to be defending him. Don't expect the Polanski treatment.

Zimbardo

is this stuff the 'calm before the storm' that Trump mentioned the other day?

this Weinstein is one evil SOB. lock him up!

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Having big names like Paltrow and Jolie reinforcing the stories pretty much ensures Weinstein's name is going to be mud. Nobody outside of some fringe assholes are going to be defending him. Don't expect the Polanski treatment.

Yup, he's toast. The only question is do any other big names go down with him.

Buckle

Damn, poor Asia...always been a fan of her.

These stories are so bizzare to read. This man using these women and then making them feel like he's their pal after awhile. He's so....casual about it.

Typically what I would assume when I heard of this scandal is just somebody forcing themselves on somebody angrily and then menacingly threatening them afterwards..but here, its like he's treating it like the world's most disturbing business handshake.

He gets in their heads. Its terrifying.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jeeze these details are crazy. Didn't realize exactly how bad this was. Wow.

And this detail about Asia Argento putting her first interaction with Weinstein into her movie years later is nuts.

In 2000, Argento released “Scarlet Diva,” a movie that she wrote and directed. In the film, a heavyset producer corners the character of Anna, who is played by Argento, in a hotel room, asks her for a massage, and tries to assault her.

After the movie came out, women began approaching Argento, saying that they recognized Weinstein’s behavior in the portrayal. “People would ask me about him because of the scene in the movie,” she said. Some recounted similar details to her: meetings and professional events moved to hotel rooms, bathrobes and massage requests, and, in one other case, forced oral sex.

Weinstein, according to Argento, saw the film after it was released in the U.S., and apparently recognized himself. “Ha, ha, very funny,” Argento remembered him saying to her. But he also said that he was “sorry for whatever happened.”

Budi

I mean if the dude is on tape admitting it, I don't think there's any question about whether or not the allegations are true, eh?
This has also been confirmed by the letters he sent when he asked for protection and time to go for therapy.

The sound clip is horrifying, monsterous behaviour.

That Asia Argento story is legit disgusting, good lord. I think the amount of powerful celebrities coming out against Weinstein though, means his career is all but certainly dead at this point, thankfully.

who is bigger in the entertainment industry? cosby or weinstein?

Weinstein, since he has his production company, and used to almost always get a best picture nom. Cosby was always more respected / beloved though, so his downfall was considered even more shocking.

Elandyll

Banned
Disgusting and horrible.

And he really gave no fucks, showing how invulnerable he thought he was, from unknown apiring actresses all the way to Asia Argento, Patricia Arquette, Emma De Caunes and Mira Sorvino, to only name a few I'm sure.

Just... This culture of silence and intimidation needs to stop. Maybe putting all this out in thr open will encourage even more to come forward, and in many other cases, so that future victims can be spared.

jelly

I hope this starts a chain reaction of exposing this type of abuse that I assume is rampant in Hollywood and everywhere else involving the rich and powerful.

Doubtful. Don't get caught is all they do.

The first question I would ask all these celebrities coming forward is who else has done this to you and been rumoured?

That's what needs to happen, let's see if they do.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
who is bigger in the entertainment industry? cosby or weinstein?

Cosby might've been bigger at the peak of his career (and I'm not even sure of that), but as of now it's clearly Weinstein. He's a really powerful person in Hollywood.

Madness

There was no meeting. Mr. Weinstein was in a bathrobe, behind a coffee table covered with papers. He told her they were contracts for his next three films, according to Ms. Dunning. But she could only sign them on a condition: She would have to have three-way sex with him.

Ms. Dunning said that she laughed, assuming he was joking, and that Mr. Weinstein grew angry.“You’ll never make it in this business,” she said he told her. “This is how the business works.”

What a sack of shit.

Zalasta

Not sure how to feel about the more well known actresses that finally speak up about this. They obviously chose to protect their career instead of the women that may not be so lucky in getting out of Weinstein's advances. I guess it just speaks to how much power he held over people when so many did nothing.

Hollywood's reputation will be in shambles after this.

Good. I've been under the belief that no man, nor institution should become SO POWERFUL that they are allowed to normalize corruption, exploitation, immoral activity and inequality, while are kept safe through "bonds" of loyalty. The vices and egos of the "rich & powerful" should NOT hold greater importance over the well-being and equality of all people, including women, PoC, LGBT and so on.

Sometimes I wish a giant phantom axe appeared in the sky and went at it, chopping these fucks down to size. If anybody in the world deserves it, it is these fucks.

entremet

Not sure how to feel about the more well known actresses that finally speak up about this. They obviously chose to protect their career instead of the women that may not be so lucky in getting out of Weinstein's advances. I guess it just speaks to how much power he held over people when so many did nothing.
It takes immense courage to speak up. So I don’t blame them. This is on Weinstein. Plus the rumors were there. They originated from somewhere.

Christian

What’s with this guy and Mila Kunis. How many different girls does he compare to her? Makes me nervous for her, too, if he’s got such a thing for her...

Lovely. Giving the right fuel to politicize this even more.

It's spreading like wildfire. I read a report, and i kid you not, that said this is coming out because Trump has one, media outlets are dying and news gets out easier as such. It made a case that a story like this would not have made it out during a Clinton presidency, completely disregarding the fact that the victims are the sole reason this story is out.

It's not much the right can do about this anyway. Weinstein was a good friend of Trump's and Melania's as well.

This is a bad fucking look for Hollywood as a whole though and this story is going to rock the industry and out your favorite actors.

btrboyev

Hollywood has been this fucked up for years and everyone knew it and still knows it. I’m glad things are starting to change.

Buckle

What’s with this guy and Mila Kunis. How many different girls does he compare to her? Makes me nervous for her, too, if he’s got such a thing for her...
Was about to say the same thing.

I pray she never actually ended up in a meeting with this guy..

Top Bottom