• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

I can't wait to see Gray Jedi vs. Grey Jedi. Each arguing about the proper spelling of the word while simultaneously agreeing that they also believe each other's position

Part of me, as soon as we saw Porgs for the first time hoped they would end up leading to the death of a major character.

People would be all "They are so CUTE! I wish I could own one." Then they would see the movie and be completely pissed that a Porg killed Leia or something.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I can't wait to see Gray Jedi vs. Grey Jedi. Each arguing about the proper spelling of the word while simultaneously agreeing that they also believe each other's position

This is clearly the correct answer...American swine.

I don't think it makes sense to bring in stuff from the prequels in talking about Vader's redemption arc -- the OT had to stand on its own for 15 years. The Vader/Obi-Wan relationship just wasn't that important.

It's also notable that Vader is pretty soft on Luke starting as soon as he knows they're related. He goes to the trouble of testing the carbonite machine to make sure it won't hurt Luke. Vader's final pitch in Cloud City is that he'll betray the Emperor for Luke -- he wants them to "rule the galaxy as father and son". Kylo's choosing something something the dark side over Han is a huge break from everything we ever saw of how Vader thought of his son in the OT.

tenor.gif

I get what you're saying, but the dissonance required to separate the prequels while also trying to view the contrast between Ren/Vader in their respective arcs is a bit much.

There's a very narrow lens being placed on "well Vader refused to kill his own blood" whereas "Kylo killed his own blood", when greater emphasis should actually be on the fact that a particular act needed to be done for both Anakin and Ben to fully embrace the dark side. Anakin did that 100%. And Ben isn't any different in that he's doing it 100%.

Except Obi-Wan was more of a father to Anakin than Luke was a son to Vader, and Anakin did his absolute best to kill him--TWICE. Vader DID redeem himself, but look how much it took for him to do so--literally beaten by his son, and his master (who was stronger) already threw him in the bushes.

I'm not trying to make light of Vaders redemption arc, as ultimately he was redeemed, but the contrast between Kylo Ren and Darth Vader isn't as clean as you're saying.

Ultimately from a story perspective--yes, Kylo seems to be being setup as the Vader who does it differently, and I think we'll get there, but we aren't there yet.

I'm not really considering the prequel trilogy as part of this. TFA is clearly set up with the OT in mind and I don't think many of the themes or visuals of the PT make themselves known in TFA. TFA is a condensed OT so what you're seeing at the end in analogous to the end of RotJ in Kylo's "damnation" arc. The majority of that arc is implied through the Force flashback and hints in character dialogue. What we saw in TFA was Kylo's Throne Room moment. I'm sure we'll see much more in TLJ.

I don't think it makes sense to bring in stuff from the prequels in talking about Vader's redemption arc -- the OT had to stand on its own for 15 years. The Vader/Obi-Wan relationship just wasn't that important.

It's also notable that Vader is pretty soft on Luke starting as soon as he knows they're related. He goes to the trouble of testing the carbonite machine to make sure it won't hurt Luke. Vader's final pitch in Cloud City is that he'll betray the Emperor for Luke -- he wants them to "rule the galaxy as father and son". Kylo's choosing something something the dark side over Han is a huge break from everything we ever saw of how Vader thought of his son in the OT.

This is how I see it as well. Vader never wanted to kill his son but Kylo doesn't know that or wasn't told that.

Iirc doesn't the lighting here shift from blue towards red as Kylo rejects Han?

Yes if I'm recalling correctly the lighting shifts with the conversation. At one points it's half and half I think but when Kylo kills Han, the frame is completed bathed in red. Honestly, I think TFA handles its visuals very creatively when compared to other blockbusters of similar scale. I think there's a lot of subtlety there that is easily missed.

GhaleonEB

What does everyone think the penguin is screaming about?

It's either yelling about the same thing Chewie is yelling about, or it's copying Chewie yelling about something.

My guess is they're getting shot at by Tie Fighters and getting very excited about it.

My hope is that in the scene in the trailer where the Falcon is getting chased and shot at, it's Chewie and the Porg in the ship instead of Rey and Finn, as in TFA.

I wonder if Chewie takes a liking to the Porg because of Han's death. The way people will sometimes get pets to have companionship after they've lost loved ones. Chewie is sitting there all sad while Rey is getting her training on and the Porg just waddles up and is all cute and snuggles and they're best friends. And so the adventures of Chewie and the Porg begin.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The sound design in this trailer is what makes it the best trailer fucking ever made

Porg: UAAAAARG UAAAAAAARG

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Ship fucking explodes right after, perfectly synced with Rey theme

The porg is the new Han Solo. Our devilishly handsome rogue with a winning smile and a blaster at his side. Can't wait for the standalone movie.

Surfinn

I'm not really considering the prequel trilogy as part of this. TFA is clearly set up with the OT in mind and I don't think many of the themes or visuals of the PT make themselves known in TFA. TFA is a condensed OT so what you're seeing at the end in analogous to the end of RotJ in Kylo's "damnation" arc. The majority of that arc is implied through the Force flashback and hints in character dialogue. What we saw in TFA was Kylo's Throne Room moment. I'm sure we'll see much more in TLJ.

Yes. It's the inverse of Vader's decision to save his son, Luke. It was specifically filmed to be a turning point for his character that will shape his destiny.

It's either yelling about the same thing Chewie is yelling about, or it's copying Chewie yelling about something.

My guess is they're getting shot at by Tie Fighters and getting very excited about it.

My hope is that in the scene in the trailer where the Falcon is getting chased and shot at, it's Chewie and the Porg in the ship instead of Rey and Finn, as in TFA.

I wonder if Chewie takes a liking to the Porg because of Han's death. The way people will sometimes get pets to have companionship after they've lost loved ones. Chewie is sitting there all sad while Rey is getting her training on and the Porg just waddles up and is all cute and snuggles and they're best friends. And so the adventures of Chewie and the Porg begin.

I can feel it

Veelk

Banned

Ghal, free range grown porgs are a highly valued delicacy in wookie culture. He's just waiting him to reach maturity to have the tastiest meal.

tenor.gif

ACR0019

People are weird so expect shipping about Chewie and Porgins.

Surfinn

Also it was interesting to see Luke in the rubble, from the force back. Wasn't it largely assumed that he wasn't around for the slaughter, or that he left just before?

People are weird so expect shipping about Chewie and Porgins.

Search your feelings

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's how the ship sails these days.

Do not mention the word “ship” in this thread, please! We don’t want to invoke anything again!

The word “ship” is now banned in this thread!! Use a different word, like, um, “that craft has sailed.” Yeah, that’s it. It’ll be okay. It’ll be okay... *rocks back and forth, muttering incoherently*

Also it was interesting to see Luke in the rubble, from the force back. Wasn't it largely assumed that he wasn't around for the slaughter, or that he left just before?
I'd assumed that was the case. It's hard to imagine Luke being overwhelmed by Kylo, even if the other Knights were supporting him. Plus, surely Kylo would have made sure Luke was dead if he was present for the attack.

It definitely looks like that shot is from the flashback though.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the trailer again and *cracks knuckles*

Okay. Okay. I got this movie figured out. Gather round, ya'll, gather round.

Here's the low down. Ya'll ready for this?

- We know Rey was left on Jakku before Kylo massacred Luke's Jedi temple: https://moviepilot.com/p/star-wars-8-rey-left-on-jakku-kylo-ren/4146899.
- We know Kylo KNOWS OF Rey, but hasn't met her before The Force Awakens: http://www.slashfilm.com/kylo-ren-never-met-rey-before-star-wars-the-force-awakens/.
- Luke says in the trailer: "I've only seen this raw strength once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now." We've been thinking he's talking about Kylo.

No, no, no. He's talking about Rey.

Rey's a nobody. Her parents brought her to Luke. Luke told them to hide her for her own good -- because of her raw power. So powerful that she's dangerous. Not dangerous in that she'll go dark. Oh no, dangerous in the way like explosions, harbinger-of-death type shit. Kylo found out about this, which helped pushed him over to the dark side because it was something Luke was hiding from him. And this is why Snoke wants her. As a weapon. Fulfill your destiny.
I'm sticking with this theory from now until I learn otherwise.

I think there's a reason the aftermath of the attack on Luke's academy is shown as he says that. To me the look on his face says 'raw power like this is what killed my students and left my life in tatters.' He won't make the same mistake and refuses to train her anymore.

Surfinn

I think there's a reason the aftermath of the attack on Luke's academy is shown as he says that. To me the look on his face says 'raw power like this is what killed my students and left my life in tatters.' He won't make the same mistake and refuses to train her anymore.
Yep. Could definitely go either way

Vashetti

Banned

I like this.

This trailer makes me afraid that Luke is gonna be portrayed as a weakling compared to Snoke, Kylo and Rey.

I'm already upset that hes most likely going to get killed off in this, I at least wanted to see some bad ass old man Luke action before hes gone for good :(

Naw, overthinking it--Luke is clearly referencing Ben and how his lack of caution led to destruction, and he's seeing that same latent potential again in Rey and is terrified the same thing could happen again.

And I'm not about to buy some force unleashed, dark phoenix type stuff either lol.

This trailer makes me afraid that Luke is gonna be portrayed as a weakling compared to Snoke, Kylo and Rey.

I'm already upset that hes most likely going to get killed off in this, I at least wanted to see some bad ass old man Luke action before hes gone for good :(
Snoke sounds afraid of Luke when he speaks of him in TFA. There's no way Luke dies in this trilogy without demonstrating his power at least once. Just don't expect old EU Luke levels of omnipotency.

Tuorom

Neo Member

That's great, I would like to see that.

Yes. It's the inverse of Vader's decision to save his son, Luke. It was specifically filmed to be a turning point for his character that will shape his destiny.

This is why I hate people thinking that Ren will be redeemed. It will ruin a potentially interesting storyline. Ren needs to stay dark side, and get even darker if possible. He has chosen the dark side, and I want to see them take it as far as possible.

Surfinn

That's great, I would like to see that.

This is why I hate people thinking that Ren will be redeemed. It will ruin a potentially interesting storyline. Ren needs to stay dark side, and get even darker if possible. He has chosen the dark side, and I want to see them take it as far as possible.
Yep

That's the entire point of that scene.

Doesn't mean he has no light side left at all, of course.

But it's a jumping off point for his character

It's shown because...there's a history of those who wield the force going dark and causing destruction. There's always going to be the potential of that happening when you try to train people. Luke chose to train new Jedi and this was the result.

Like, there's a reason the rule of two exists with the Sith to begin with. Luke is struggling with the cyclical downfall of the Jedi, and the seeming inevitability of evil coming straight from those ranks.

Good theory, hopefully this pushes Finn to be the hero and go on to save Rey from the First Order/Snoke in 9. I don't care for Rey becoming a damsel in distress, but I'd love to see Finn step up.

It's shown because...there's a history of those who wield the force going dark and causing destruction. There's always going to be the potential of that happening when you try to train people. Luke chose to train new Jedi and this was the result.

Like, there's a reason the rule of two exists with the Sith to begin with. Luke is struggling with the cyclical downfall of the Jedi, and the seeming inevitability of evil coming straight from those ranks.
I think it's simpler than that. The last person he trained with that level of potential burnt it all down and at that point in the story, he refuses to make the same mistake by training Rey. Understandable really.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Kylo Ren being an unabashed dark side user with moments of humanity and light in him is what makes him interesting to me.

He’s broken. How he actually became broken is a mystery not really revealed. We know Snoke got his hooks into him somehow, and influenced his current path, but I feel his path is set. He may always be a villain. I think he should stay an antagonist and go deeper into it in episodes 8 and 9.

I love moments like his hesitation in the trailer to kill Leia, but not because, “Oh man, he’s going to be redeemed!” but because “Oh man, he still has some humanity and love for his mother in there somewhere!” I had hoped that they’d have a face to face confrontation at some point in the trilogy, with the tension arising from what went down with him and Han, and the uncertainty of it maybe happening again. I’d like him and Rey to never come to peace when th one another.

And maybe in 20 years, we’ll have an Episode 20, where Kylo and Rey face off like Old Ben and Vader in A New Hope. Not every antagonist has the die to wrap up a trilogy. Not even Luke has to die.

I’d love for the final shot of Luke in Episode 9 being him on Tatooine, at a moisture farm looking out at the Twin suns as they set, finally a man at peace, knowing that his destiny has been fulfilled and his good works have bore fruit, despite the loss and heartache of the past.

The torch fully being passed on for more adventures of Rey and Finn and Poe for Episode 10, 11, and 12, and those adventures setting the stage for newer heroes to step in and keep the series going. I still hold that when all is said and done, Rey will take the last name Skywalker. Hell, I could see Finn taking a last name as well once he’s fully free of the First Order and the ghosts of his own past.

Davide

Luke may not have a ligthsaber at the moment but he's going to do some things that are both awesome and dangerous with the Force in VIII.

Btw Snoke is Rey's father or at least he raised her. I feel like the dialouge at the beginning is between Snoke and her...
Man look at me, talking about Rey's parentage theories. The hype really got me.

Proelite

10 bucks say Empire Dreadnoughts render Porgs extinct, making the one on the Falcon the last of his/her kind.

He/she was also a Jedi.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing I will say about this is that this trailer is full of misdirection and, well, that could be one of them.

Top Bottom