• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR gaming is a godsend!

Mamofish

I haven't seen HDR yet but, I'm curious how much of a difference it will make being colorblind.

Has anybody with red-green colorblindness seen HDR and could share their experience?

HDR is both contrast and color.. TV should be able to display at least 1,000 nits of brightness and feature a minimum of 10-bit color depth for it to be "proper" HDR.

Elios83

Yeah 4K alone hasn't impressed me but coupled with HDR it's well worth of changing TV compared to the standard 1080p experience.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
HDR is both contrast and color.. TV should be able to display at least 1,000 nits of brightness and feature a minimum of 10-bit color depth for it to be "proper" HDR.

Yeah while the colors are richer with HDR on, with my tv I have to have the backlight levels jacked up to the max which results in the black levels not being as good, plus HDR messes with netflix on my 1X, So I leave it off.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I like it, but I was not a fan of it in Horizon Zero Dawn.

It seemed to darken every part of the screen that wasn’t in focus and made it damn near impossible to enjoy the game during nightfall

Zuzzissm0

HDR is nice and all but i had to turn it off on my xbox one x for assassins creed origins. as soon as it gets dark in game the game produces color banding and this looks really bad. so no HDR for ac anytime soon

Definitely the biggest difference for me in games since 3dfx.

But I then again I've had a big TV jump...

LG OLED55B7V

from a Sharp Aquos 37...

coupled with the Xbox One X, it's a pretty damn big leap.

But it's hard to quantify how much of that is just HDR and how much is the TV / Scorpio.

llien

Color blind should also be able to appreciate it as it is mostly about brightness and contrast. (although one could say it means displaying more colors, you are basically displaying brighter level of the same color)

Correct, with one note that OLED TVs can go below 1'000 nits (I think LGs 2017 peaks at 700-900), since their black levels being lower allows them to still achieve amazing contrast.

TheShocker

I might be in the minority here, but HDR hasnt done nearly as much for me as the increase in resolution has.

I have the TCL P Series and I just can’t get HDR to “pop” like a lot of people say. It looks washed out to me. I also notice a little more motion blur when it’s on, so for now I turned HDR completely off. I got tired of messing with settings all the time.

llien

I might be in the minority here, but HDR hasnt done nearly as much for me as the increase in resolution has.

I have the TCL P Series and I just can’t get HDR to “pop” like a lot of people say. It looks washed out to me. I also notice a little more motion blur when it’s on, so for now I turned HDR completely off. I got tired of messing with settings all the time.

I'm sorry to say that, but TCL P is not Ultra HD Premium certified so while it supports HDR sources, its panel fails short at reproducing the picture adequately.

Would have to have proper HDR computer screens for that. Still have to wait for 2018. No pc screen has proper HDR with all the required features a good pc screens need.

2018 is supposed to the year. I use a 4k uhd tv as a monitor with Windows 10 creators Ed. Now that I've had a taste of HDR gaming at 4k 60 fps I want more.

SSReborn

That set isn't HDR capable unfortunately. Sorry.

Edit: I guess it is but it doesn't have local dimming which helps A LOT.
Ah, that's why. If you look at rtings.com's review you'll see its HDR capabilities are rather limited because of average peak brightness required for displaying bright HDR content and lack of local dimming which is used for emphasize blacks or darker areas in an scene.

Down the line I'd recommend OLED once they're sufficiently affordable.

Welp better knowing than continually trying to get it running well thx lol

Welp better knowing than continually trying to get it running well thx lol

It's not your fault that these sets are advertised as HDR capable when they're not quite there. This is why I didn't get a set last November and have been researching this shit for the past year. I'm so glad I waited for my TCL, it just feels so good to get a great set with real HDR for an unbeatable price.

Sosokrates

For those wanting to see the benifit of HDR there is a cool feature in gears of war 4 where you can make half the screen HDR and the other half is SDR.
I just tried it and HDR makes a bigger difference then I thought, even on my cheap Panasonic.

For those wanting to see the benifit of HDR there is a cool feature in gears of war 4 where you can make half the screen HDR and the other half is SDR.
I just tried it and HDR makes a bigger difference then I thought, even on my cheap Panasonic.

That's cool, I'll have to check that out. If anyone doesn't have any HDR games, movies or streaming content to check out, YouTube has a great 4K HDR channel that will show you what your set is truly capable of. It's magnificent stuff.

How you do this?

Boss Man

You most likely have not set it up right or have low quality hdr on your TV.
I guess that's possible, but I don't think it's the most likely explanation for me feeling that HDR does more for movies while 4K does more for games. I have the KS8000 and am using the basic Rtings settings. The only thing I've seen games benefit significantly from with HDR is fire - and it's only super impressive when they get gimmicky with it. In other content, it's still most impressive to me with regards to lighting but I guess real life just has more nuanced and varied lighting than video games do.

On the other hand, unless a movie or show is going out of its way to show the benefit of 4k it's notably better (watching a 60inch screen from a fairly short distance) but sometimes I'm not even sure if what I'm watching is 4k or just a really clean 1080p. That might have something to do with the fact that a lot of content is "2k" labeled 4k or whatever. In games, on the other hand, the resolution boost makes a massive difference for me. Maybe that's just because of the role that resolution has played in games, idk. I think I notice clarity of details a lot more in games than I would when passively watching a movie or show. It's certainly made older games feel a lot fresher to me.

MilkyJoe

I guess that's possible, but I don't think it's the most likely explanation for me feeling that HDR does more for movies while 4K does more for games. I have the KS8000 and am using the basic Rtings settings. The only thing I've seen games benefit significantly from with HDR is fire - and it's only super impressive when they get gimmicky with it. In other content, it's still most impressive to me with regards to lighting but I guess real life just has more nuanced and varied lighting than video games do.

On the other hand, unless a movie or show is going out of its way to show the benefit of 4k it's notably better (watching a 60inch screen from a fairly short distance) but sometimes I'm not even sure if what I'm watching is 4k or 1080p. That might have something to do with the fact that a lot of content is "2k" labeled 4k or whatever. In games, on the other hand, the resolution boost makes a massive difference for me. Maybe that's just because of the role that resolution has played in games, idk. It's certainly made older games feel a lot fresher to me.

I have ks7000, UK version.

What I found, I plugged the scorpio into the same hdmi on the TV as my 2013 Xbox and the difference wasn't there for me at all.

I had used the other ports for other things too and still nothing, the ports seemed to lock to the original device, in port 4 it called my Xbox an amazon fire box.

Ended up factory resetting the TV and plugged the Xbox Scorpio into port one, powered on before turning TV back on, after reset the TV and the manual picture settings it was a night and day difference.

llien

Wrong, it's a 10bit panel, has local dimming, blacks that rival oled, and not only has the inferior hdr but the superior Dolby Vision.

HDR+ vs Dolby
There is a lot of confusion around HDR and Dolby Vision in particular.
Dolby Labs wanted to introduce a new standard and collect royalties for it.
Sony and Samsung took 'fuck off" stance and introduced royalty free HDR10.
Later on Sony backed off a bit, adding support for DV (at least in US), Samsung did not. HDR10 is supported by pretty much all UHD Premium TVs. (no reasons to skip it)

Both standards allowed videostream to have meta data about its dynamic range, but Dolby Vision allowed that to change per scene or even frame.

No big deal, fast forward and we have HDR10+, still royalty free, supporting per scene/frame meta

HLG
HLG is also license free and was developed by BBC and Japane's NHK.
It is backwards compatible broadcasting format for high dynamic range content.

Technicolor HDR,
Is a newcomer, not free, covers both broadcasting and media streaming needs.
It looks like LG TVs started to support for it after recent firmware updates..

So, you are saying "Supports Dolby Vision" tells jack shit?
Note that "supporting" any of the above formats is about SOFTWARE side of things.
As other formats, it puts no restriction on hardware capabilities of the device.

But, wait, 10 bit panel and local dimming!?!?
Maybe. Or maybe not. Which takes us to:

qIWVbwT.png

Ultra HD Prermium certification (backed by "UHD Alliance" with Samsung, Dolby and pretty much all major companies behind it, the list is here, if you are curious) guarantees that:

• device has (at least) 4k resolution.
  • (at least) 10 bit color
  • HDR10 or Dolby Vision
  • Either 1000-nit peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level Or 540-nit peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level (OLEDs are here) (bright notebook screens peak at about 300-350 nits, which is where most monitors are)
  • Ability to show at least 90 percent of the P3 color gamut

Parts marked bold is where "HDR" but "not UHD Premium" devices are likely to fail.
There is no certification that I am aware of that is specific to monitors.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
I have a Pro and a good new sony 4K HDR tv and I really don’t think it is a significant upgrade compared to the original PS4.
And certainly not worth the 400€ for me... oh well...

Sosokrates

How you do this?

In gears 4 go to the video option and scroll down there is an option that says half screen HDR/SDR toggle it on and when you're in game the left side is HDR and the right half is SDR.

I have a Pro and a good new sony 4K HDR tv and I really don’t think it is a significant upgrade compared to the original PS4.
And certainly not worth the 400€ for me... oh well...

Try horizon, i bet upcoming sony exclusives will look a lot better on pro.

LostDonkey

I'm not a fan of it. It makes things look fake and overblown, I prefer the more subtle natural look. If you're of the impression that HDR is a more significant boost than resolution them imo you haven't seen a proper full 4k experience.

Or your TV needs calibrating or at worst you need a better TV.

I'm not a fan of it. It makes things look fake and overblown, I prefer the more subtle natural look. If you're of the impression that HDR is a more significant boost than resolution them imo you haven't seen a proper full 4k experience.

Or your TV needs calibrating or at worst you need a better TV.

ive only seen HDR in movies, but in that respect its FAR more of an improvement than going to 4k from 1080p. hdr makes the image look almost like a postcard rather than a tv screen

Sosokrates

I actually think the jump to 4k is bigger then the jump from SD to HD.

I Remember playing rainbow 6 Vegas on my 360 on my CRT. And while the jump to a HD tv was very good it didnt completly blow away my CRT tv.

The jump to 4k is night and day. People saying you need a 65 inch screen at 5ft viewing distance are full of crap.
I have a 50inch 4k tv and the distance is 5ft and the jump in picture clarity is night and day.
Its a bigger difference then I thought it was going to be.

The only game I've played with HDR is WW2 but that doesn't look mind blowing if I'm honest but the insects demo... Oh man, the colours man!!

philm87

Ah, that's why. If you look at rtings.com's review you'll see its HDR capabilities are rather limited because of average peak brightness required for displaying bright HDR content and lack of local dimming which is used for emphasize blacks or darker areas in an scene.

Down the line I'd recommend OLED once they're sufficiently affordable.

OLED are worse for peak brightness though, at the moment at least. Better for pretty much everything else.

dragos495

the holy trinity is

4K + Dolby Vision + OLED.

cant believe i gamed on an lcd for all those years before my oled, then again i couldnt afford one. :D

Toe-Knee

HDR is the real deal. My TV doesn't even meet the full peak brightness and it's a night and day difference. I actively avoid games that don't have hdr these days because they look so bland

hailst0rm

Neo Member
This is one jump I wish didn’t have such a high price of entry. To do HDR justice you need to spend out £1k on a decent TV. Wish the TCL P607 was available in the UK.

i-Lo

OLED are worse for peak brightness though, at the moment at least. Better for pretty much everything else.

Indeed. However, that is set to change in the years to come given OLED is the only way to go. Nothing that beat its black levels and it's most energy efficient display tech.

I am rocking a X900E atm and hope to replace it late 2019 with an OLED.

oled is flat out better than lcd. manufacturing costs are the only reason lcd is still being made, but its a dead end technology

Top Bottom