• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 3.56 is here. What does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TSA said:
What is PSN banning really going to do, though? Pirates are gonna get access to all PSN content just like they can on hacked Wiis and jTag 360s via illegal downloads, and it's not like you can't just make another PSN account if you're banned. PSN is free unlike Gold on Live. Banning a PSN account won't deter them with the threat of losing access to content (again, they'll download it all anyway), and if they do IP ban or console ID ban, I bet the PS3 is so broken a tool will come out to mask that crap so you can still go online as long as you make a new PSN account. Games like CoD where you're progress would be wiped with a PSN ban? They'll just hack to give themselves back the progress, and the JB PS3 will probably allow the sharing of save data even on trophy enabled games. The only thing Sony can do is make life hell by instituting frequent firmware updates that require people to update their hacks, which increases the chance of them bricking or something.

I'm not talking about banning an account, i'm talking about banning systems. They've already done that before, so it's definitely an option.

Ploid 3.0

TSA said:
What is PSN banning really going to do, though? Pirates are gonna get access to all PSN content just like they can on hacked Wiis and jTag 360s via illegal downloads, and it's not like you can't just make another PSN account if you're banned. Banning a PSN account won't deter them with the threat of losing access to content (again, they'll download it all anyway), and if they do IP ban or console ID ban, I bet the PS3 is so broken a tool will come out to mask that crap so you can still go online as long as you make a new PSN account. Games like CoD where you're progress would be wiped with a PSN ban? They'll just hack to give themselves back the progress, and the JB PS3 will probably allow the sharing of save data even on trophy enabled games. The only thing Sony can do is make life hell by instituting frequent firmware updates that require people to update their hacks, which increases the chance of them bricking or something.

With Wii and PSN, it could be said that their online services aren't worth much. It's easy to be without multiplayer online in those platforms. You take away online in PS3 and you're taking away something that's worth more.

Also you can't buy things on PSN, so a honest CFW user would need to have two consoles to be able to download his PSN games, then do whatever to burn them to a disk so he can play them on his hacked console.

Truespeed said:
Well, for starters, give them the ability to install games to their HDD. But, they probably view that as a security risk.

The people I knew who were into this shit could care less about something like that unless it meant illegally acquiring the games to load from the HDD.

It's more for bragging rights than functionality, let's not kid ourselves. Everyone wants the entire library of NES/SNES games on their HDD not to play them... but just to show it off.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not talking about banning an account, i'm talking about banning systems. They've already done that before, so it's definitely an option.

And how long, if not already, until the hackers have a work around this? I'm pretty sure the PS3 is as screwed as the Wii - Sony won't be able to do jack.

Ploid 3.0 said:
With Wii and PSN, it could be said that their online services aren't worth much. It's easy to be without multiplayer online in those platforms. You take away online in PS3 and you're taking away something that's worth more.

Also you can't buy things on PSN, so a honest CFW user would need to have two consoles to be able to download his PSN games, then do whatever to burn them to a disk so he can play them on his hacked console.

They won't have a need to go on PSN,then. As I said, most will just search the net for an illegal download of any DLC or game on PSN. It's gonna end up just like Wii.

TSA said:
And how long, if not already, until the hackers have a work around this? I'm pretty sure the PS3 is as screwed as the Wii - Sony won't be able to do jack.

If that's the case then there's nothing that they can do. But it's something that they should do for now.

TSA said:
How long did it take the hackers to work around 360 bans?

Flambe said:
I'd be fine with daily updates to fuck with the hackers.
I'm with you. 5 minutes of my day vs hours of trying out new loaders with games not working, trying to get it to run without discs, stuttering games, etc.

Why would anyone wanna go trough that...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TSA said:

you can't make up console IDs.

jsnepo

So whenever Sony releases a new firmware the homebrew will have to be re-signed to work and that will require a new CFW (that'll probably brick some PS3s)? Why can't they make hombrew that will work on future firmware whether it's offiicial or custom?

Speevy

Banned
Lince said:
bubu they just wanna play Princes Peach in HD

You mean you want them to develop a DS emulator that runs at 10 FPS so you can see those graphics stretched to hell and back?

angelfly

jsnepo said:
So whenever Sony releases a new firmware the homebrew will have to be re-signed to work and that will require a new CFW (that'll probably brick some PS3s)? Why can't they make hombrew that will work on future firmware whether it's offiicial or custom?
They could have but geohot didn't want to touch NPDRM so we ended up with the current situation.

Sew

grumble said:
I kind of hope that they wait for a long time, until CFW owners think they are safe, and then ban them all at once. The tears would be hilarious.
The tears of homebrew haters already are hilarious. Why wait for Sony to roll out the schadenfreude when CFW already has it built in?

Takk

How about this scenario:
Sony sells PS3s at a loss and hopes to make up the money by selling games. People buy the system, hack it, and use it as a media center, emulation, and all kinds of misc (legal) stuff.

Is that morally right?

I know that the mentality of hacking your system to do w/e (legal) is accepted on GAF but it is understandable that companies want to steer users towards services that can make them money.

angelfly

Takk said:
How about this scenario:
Sony sells PS3s at a loss and hopes to make up the money by selling games. People buy the system, hack it, and use it as a media center, emulation, and all kinds of misc (legal) stuff.

Is that morally right?

I know that the mentality of hacking your system to do w/e (legal) is accepted on GAF but it is understandable that companies want to steer users towards services that can make them money.
Your example fails considering people were buying the thing just for bluray functionality years before CFW

Sew said:
The tears of pirates and game hackers haters already are hilarious. Why wait for Sony to roll out the schadenfreude when CFW already has it built in?

Fixed it for you. Just like now, we are suffering for the "greater good" of a few, I'm hoping that soon, the few of you suffer for our greater good.

Lince

Banned
Sew said:
The tears of homebrew haters already are hilarious. Why wait for Sony to roll out the schadenfreude when CFW already has it built in?

I'm starting to hate the term "homebrew", fucking ridiculous excuses for piracy when everything you're supposedly trying to do (emulators mainly) with your CFW PS3 you can already do with a 10 years old PC.

Metalmurphy said:
Fixed it for you. Just like now the us are suffering for the "greater good" of few, I'm hoping soon the few of you suffer for our greater good.

Don't worry. We homebrew users won't suffer :) But I will enjoy watching the group of you be on your hands and knees waiting for Sony to do something that will bring tears to us legit users.

Takk

Your example fails considering people were buying the thing just for bluray functionality years before CFW

Well, Sony would also want to promote the blu ray industry ofcourse. I just used games as an example. It doesn't exclude all other things.

Lince said:
I'm starting to hate the term "homebrew", fucking ridiculous excuses for piracy when everything you're supposedly trying to do (emulators mainly) with your CFW PS3 you can already do with a 10 years old PC.

AHAHAHAHAHA thanks for the laugh. BTW, I suggest you not use Netflix, the web browser, facebook, installing pictures or music on to your PS3 since you can do all of that stuff with a 10 year old PC =P

LovingSteam said:
AHAHAHAHAHA thanks for the laugh. BTW, I suggest you not use Netflix, the web browser, facebook, installing pictures or music on to your PS3 since you can do all of that stuff with a 10 year old PC =P

I don't use any of that on my PS3.

alr1ghtstart said:
you can't make up console IDs.

I'm saying that they'll find away any method of detection Sony has, so they won't have to. Each firmware update, hacking sites will just say "be patient, we'll let you know when it's safe", release their own patch/update to CFW, and then say "it's safe, enjoy!" Right now, this might not be the case, but I thought the hackers had the keys to the entire PS3 kingdom now - that there's nothing Sony can do but just try to be a pain in the ass with firmware updates.

And aren't Live and PSN incredibly different network types?

There is one very serious legit reason for homebrew/hacking; being able to play fansubbed games that will NEVER come out in your territory. That is, you own the game, make a backup of it on HDD, then download the patch and apply it via some backup manager/code manager. Also, what about people sick of physical discs? You can put your entire collection on a HDD, and with less loading. I understand that most people will just use this for piracy, but JB/Homebrew stuff has legit applications that should have just been made available out of the box. I will say I have a hacked Wii solely for the purpose of playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl with custom characters, music, and levels using a RETAIL disc and an SD card. And to play DKC Returns with a CLASSIC CONTROLLER on a RETAIL disc because I hate shaking the controller like a mad man.

Piracy sucks and I do hope they find a way to combat it, but there are a handful of us out there who enjoy this stuff without stealing games like pirates or hacking online games to be pathetic cheaters.

LovingSteam said:
Don't worry. We homebrew users won't suffer :) But I will enjoy watching the group of you be on your hands and knees waiting for Sony to do something that will bring tears to us legit users.

ha. Funny.

It's not the legit users I don't care about. And yeah, I noticed that you will enjoy, you're posture about this whole ordeal has been quite revealing.

Metalmurphy said:
ha. Funny.

It's not the legit users I don't care about. And yeah, I noticed that you will enjoy, you're posture about this whole ordeal has been quite revealing.

As has yours in every homebrew thread. At least we know each others stance much better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom