• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

onken

OneMoreQuestion said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the analog sticks clickable? Would be a waste of a couple of inputs if they weren't...

Pretty sure one of the reports said they're not.

darkwing

OneMoreQuestion said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the analog sticks clickable? Would be a waste of a couple of inputs if they weren't...

i wouldn't think they would be, can't imagine how to replace them if they get broken, heck my L3 is broken from all that running in FPS games lol

Vinci

Danish
OneMoreQuestion said:

Not much of a waste. This thing is pretty much a Swiss Army Knife of inputs as it is. It would be nice, though.

FoxSpirit

And Samsung can keep it, the sub-pixel structure makes one odd picture. This RGBG a low-fi version of a proper RGB-matrix. Didn't get a Galaxy-S because of this. Now the S-2... hell yeah :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some other bits from the Edge article on NGP:

They say the body feels robust and the plastic and rubber components high quality. When performing touch operations on the front they say your thumb has a comfortably short distance to travel without sacrificing grip. They say it's particularly comfortable 'in a Dualshock manner of use'. Rear touch is perfectly responsive, they say - the ease with which it can be used depending on game design. The screen they say is spectacular, vivid at any angle and with no ghosting even during fast motion.

In their Shuhei Yoshida Q+A, he seems to confirm XMB was ditched due to touch controls, but also their desire to make the device 'very social-network orientated'.

On Suite he says:

'Sony is a group, and SCE is part of that group. The PS3 is a Sony-branded product that SCE makes. Nowadays we have numerous portable devices out there, and Sony is making some of them. For instance, at SCE, we are not making mobile phones or Android smartphones - we don't even cooperate on any level on these products. But what if we could provide them with games, even casual titles? It makes sense for the PlayStation brand, but also as away to reach those devices aswell. There is now a real synergy at play between Sony and SCE. Hirai-san is not only looking after SCE but also the Vaio division. He has a global vision for the group: running the business as we did didn't answer the fluid, changing reality of today'

Asked if the PlayStation Certified seal was based on specs:

'Yes, we need a certain level of specifications to run our content and for consumers to enjoy it properly. There are so many devices out there - it's a very fragmented world. It's hard to see what kind of content users want to enjoy with such a variety around. By establishing this seal, users have a clear idea of what to expect. The devices that will be compatible will have a logo and access to the PS Store.'

They also got a comment also out of Simon Oliver of HandCircus (maker of iPhone's Rolando):

"I'm particularly interested in what new interactions would be possible with the combination of rear and front-facing touch sensors. One of the biggest obstacles to playing games on the iPhone is the 'sausage stylus' effect, where your fingers can really obscure the action. The potential to remove those issues and introduce new behaviours based on front-back pinch, 3D rotations and more is really intriguing."

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:
Some other bits from the Edge article on NGP:

They say the body feels robust and the plastic and rubber components high quality. When performing touch operations on the front they say your thumb has a comfortably short distance to travel without sacrificing grip. They say it's particularly comfortable 'in a Dualshock manner of use'. Rear touch is perfectly responsive, they say - the ease with which it can be used depending on game design. The screen they say is spectacular, vivid at any angle and with no ghosting even during fast motion.

Much of this sounds great, until this bolded part. Seeing the words 'comfortable' and 'Dualshock' in the same sentence creates a massive disconnect logically, but otherwise, I'm willing to give the thing a chance.

tzare

Vinci said:
Much of this sounds great, until this bolded part. Seeing the words 'comfortable' and 'Dualshock' in the same sentence creates a massive disconnect logically, but otherwise, I'm willing to give the thing a chance.
oh c'mon, dualshock is a good controller.

Vinci

Danish
tzare said:
oh c'mon, dualshock is a good controller.

If it weren't for the stunning amount of support Sony enjoyed during the PlayStation's heyday, I would have dropped that console exclusively because of how uncomfortable that controller was for me. Any piece of manual hardware that so contorts your hands' natural positioning that it actually earns a commonly known nickname ("Claw") is likely doing something wrong ergonomically.

The controller was functional, but it was definitely not optimal and far from comfortable.

roxya

Vinci said:
If it weren't for the stunning amount of support Sony enjoyed during the PlayStation's heyday, I would have dropped that console exclusively because of how uncomfortable that controller was for me. Any piece of manual hardware that so contorts your hands' natural positioning that it actually earns a commonly known nickname ("Claw") is likely doing something wrong ergonomically.

The controller was functional, but it was definitely not optimal and far from comfortable.

You've been holding it wrong. For a long, long time.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:

Not commenting on the DualShock (whichever version), but have you ever tried the very first analog controller for the PS1? The ne with no rumble support, 2 modes and concave sticks. The prongs are bigger and — to me at least — the D-pad is less rigid.

Vinci

Danish
roxya said:
You've been holding it wrong. For a long, long time.

You don't say... I recall a pamphlet being available at a game store when the DualShock first came out from Sony that said how to hold it. I held it that way. Guess what? Still not very comfortable. Again, functional, but not comfortable.

Can you provide some sort of picture or video suggesting how I ought to be holding it?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Vinci said:
You don't say... I recall a pamphlet being available at a game store when the DualShock first came out from Sony that said how to hold it. I held it that way. Guess what? Still not very comfortable. Again, functional, but not comfortable.

Can you provide some sort of picture or video suggesting how I ought to be holding it?
use your pinky and ring fingers for a light tug at the bottom, keep your palms empty, thumbs resting not on the tip, but half an inch down from it, and index fingers ever so slightly curled to tap the top shoulders. The middle fingers can kept on L2/R2, but for most games they're best kept as support underneath, holding up the weight.

Caress the controller, don't strangle it, let alone have every part of you hand touching the damn thing. That's what causes stress on the hand, and the reason why people cramp on handhelds.

Hold it like if you were half asleep, but still awake enough to make every motion on the sticks and press every button.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're obviously talking about it being very comfortable when you are using it for its sticks and buttons, in that configuration - they're not saying it is 'comfortable like a Dualshock'. Obviously it's not going to feel exactly like a Dualshock, it's a different body form and of different layout proportions.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
old?

"SCE president Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that some "cool" elements in NGP maybe removed in order to ensure the final product is affordable. They always has a price range in mind. Yoshida also mentioned that NGP can't sell for the same price as a PSP."

From http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

I wonder what they can remove to keep the cost down. Obviously not stuff like processors and control options cuz devs are already developing for those... but what else is there?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bobbytkc said:
old?

"SCE president Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that some "cool" elements in NGP maybe removed in order to ensure the final product is affordable. They always has a price range in mind. Yoshida also mentioned that NGP can't sell for the same price as a PSP."

From http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

It's quite old, but that report misrepresents what he said a little bit.

He didn't say features may be removed (as in, future tense, removed from the current spec). He said features were considered and dropped during development of the device in order to keep cost down (i.e. they considered and let go of other 'cool things' not in the spec we know of now in order to remain in line with their price-range target).

FoxSpirit said:
And Samsung can keep it, the sub-pixel structure makes one odd picture. This RGBG a low-fi version of a proper RGB-matrix. Didn't get a Galaxy-S because of this. Now the S-2... hell yeah :)

I just hope Sony's OLED holds up under light as well as the Galaxy. Most phone OLED's have gray screens. Samsung's OLED was pretty remarkable in this regard, very resistant to washing out colors with a deep black coating. Even better than the iphone 4 LCD.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
gofreak said:
It's quite old, but that report misrepresents what he said a little bit.

He didn't say features may be removed (as in, future tense, removed from the current spec). He said features were considered and dropped during development of the device in order to keep cost down (i.e. they considered and let go of other 'cool things' not in the spec we know of now in order to remain in line with their price-range target).

hmmm interesting to know. Now we just need to know what their price range target is in the first place.

bobbytkc said:
old?

"SCE president Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that some "cool" elements in NGP maybe removed in order to ensure the final product is affordable.

I won't lie, my heart just sank after i read that.

EDIT: bobbytkc's explanation makes sense, heart is back where it belongs now.

matmanx1

slider said:
Credit to gongo at B3D. Just saw this but haven't had a chance to look (and am about to leave for work).

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20110210_425921.html

PS4 "development suspended" (fanboys please stay sensible!) and NGP is a big focus for Sony (duh). (Cribbed from the B3D thread.)

New thread maybe?

Anyway, I'll be back from work later to see if this sink or swim.

Interesting if true and probably an extremely smart choice. NGP has the potential to be the best machine Sony's ever made and is at least guaranteed to be popular with the Japanese audience and tech heads all over the world. There's a sizable audience that's absolutely ready for NGP. PS4? That's a much steeper (and more expensive) uphill battle.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
slider said:
Credit to gongo at B3D. Just saw this but haven't had a chance to look (and am about to leave for work).

PS4 "development suspended" (fanboys please stay sensible!) and NGP is a big focus for Sony (duh). (Cribbed from the B3D thread.)

New thread maybe?

I've looked through a (difficult) google translation of that article, and I don't see much there. Hirai is asked about PS4, and all he seems to say is that they're focusing on PS3 and NGP at the moment, 10 year life cycle, blah blah blah. He doesn't say anything about suspending development on PS4, it's just his stock answer for that type of thing. The author then follows up with some speculation about PS4, saying that Sony with IBM may have gone back to the drawing board for its CPU and that in the interim Sony might skip a 32/28nm shrink of Cell and go to 22/20nm (though I'd be surprised at that - surely 22/20nm processes are still some ways off, and I'm sure Sony will want to shrink components where possible in the meantime).

slider said:

New thread maybe?

boooh, i want prettier graphics.

onken

Vinci said:

Yeah I guess all 200m PS2/PS3 owners just love horrible controllers.

your (shitty) opinion does not equal fact

Omiee

slider said:

New thread maybe?

if they make the same mistake of releasing a year later than the competition than they shouldent come out with the ps4 at all. I mean their first party studios saved them this gen not so sure about next gen.

FoxSpirit

gofreak said:
I've looked through a (difficult) google translation of that article, and I don't see much there. Hirai is asked about PS4, and all he seems to say is that they're focusing on PS3 and NGP at the moment, 10 year life cycle, blah blah blah. He doesn't say anything about suspending development on PS4, it's just his stock answer for that type of thing. The author then follows up with some speculation about PS4, saying that Sony with IBM may have gone back to the drawing board for its CPU and that in the interim Sony might skip a 32/28nm shrink of Cell and go to 22/20nm (though I'd be surprised at that - surely 22/20nm processes are still some ways off, and I'm sure Sony will want to shrink components where possible in the meantime).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Ivy_Bridge

So actually, 22nm processes are right around the corner.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slider said:

New thread maybe?

that's not what that says and it's a good idea to not post translated stuff if you don't speak the language, especially not if it's from someone off-forum.

onken said:

there's 100 million nes owners and it doesn't change the fact that the nes controller is an ergonomic nightmare.

tzare

Omiee said:
if they make the same mistake of releasing a year later than the competition than they shouldent come out with the ps4 at all. I mean their first party studios saved them this gen not so sure about next gen.

they can launch two/three years later with a sensible better hw and equivalent price to competition and do well for example. There is no need to have very similar hw by different platform holders each generation.

Omiee

tzare said:
they can launch two/three years later with a sensible better hw and equivalent price to competition and do well for example. There is no need to have very similar hw by different platform holders each generation.

if they release 2 or 3 years later the competition will already have a huge install base and be preferred by devs and publishers.

Wahz

The PS4 comment

SCEのPS4世代マシンのプランは、これまでにさまざまなプランが浮上し、消えていった。IntelのLarrabeeを使う案や、IBMのロチェスタ開発センターでPowerPCベースのCPUを開発する案があった。しかし、昨年(2010年)中盤には、こうしたプランは全て白紙に戻っていた。現在、走っているプランがあるとしても、それほど進んだ段階ではないだろう。

You can try google translate it

For convenience, I'll do easy part

SCEのPS4世代machineのplanは、これまでにさまざまなplanが浮上し、消えていった。IntelのLarrabeeを使う案や、IBMのRochester Research CenterでPowerPC baseのCPUを開発する案があった。しかし、昨年(2010年)中盤には、こうしたplanは全て白紙に戻っていた。現在、走っているplanがあるとしても、それほど進んだ段階ではないだろう。

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FoxSpirit said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Ivy_Bridge

So actually, 22nm processes are right around the corner.

Intel's a bit ahead of everyone else on this stuff though, or so I thought.

Who knows though, but it'll be interesting to see what Sony does in terms of revising PS3 internals in 2011. From their last earnings it sounded like there had been pretty substantial further reductions in hardware cost over the prior quarter, but that's possibly down to cheaper components rather than radical internal revisions. I wonder how much more cost will reduce without further chip revisions.

matmanx1

Ah so no news then, really. Existing consoles and getting NGP out of the door is the focus so of course that's what they want to talk about. PS4 will come somewhere down the road in it's own time and hopefully that's still a couple of years off.

NGP is far more exciting, in my opinion. =)

FoxSpirit

Omiee said:
if they release 2 or 3 years later the competition will already have a huge install base and be preferred by devs and publishers.

Well, actually, if your new platform is easier to develop for...
First you get high quality multi-plats since your are the stronger machine, and get better quality in exclusives. When those things are present, you can make a good entrance late.

The PS3 was a year late, way more expensive, with a slightly inferior GPU section. Also harder to develop for especially in the beginning it was said by some devs 'No API, coding to the silicone to get the power out'.

That's not how you do the late start.

zoukka

FoxSpirit said:
Well, actually, if your new platform is easier to develop for...
First you get high quality multi-plats since your are the stronger machine, and get better quality in exclusives. When those things are present, you can make a good entrance late.

The PS3 was a year late, way more expensive, with a slightly inferior GPU section. Also harder to develop for especially in the beginning it was said by some devs 'No API, coding to the silicone to get the power out'.

That's not how you do the late start.

Well one reason 360 was easier to develop to, was the fact that people had been already developing for it when the PS3 came out. I can't even imagine any competition if PS4 was more than year away from xbox3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I asked duckroll what the article said and it essentially goes like this.

Question: Will there be a PS4 in 2011?

Answer: No. We're not in a rush since the transition would be hard on developers. For now, the focus is on PS3 and NGP. 10 year plan, etc, etc.

At no point do they say "Development on the PS4 has halted".

spats

Nirolak said:
I asked duckroll what the article said and it essentially goes like this.

Question: Will there be a PS4 in 2011?

Answer: No. We're not in a rush since the transition would be hard on developers. For now, the focus is on PS3 and NGP. 10 year plan, etc, etc.

TheSixthAxis already ran with the article.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/02/15/playstation-4-plans-suspended/

SSJ1Goku

Banned
slider said:

New thread maybe?

I called it, NGP to be called PS4

EDIT: looks like I jumped the gun

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That is fantastic news. More resources available to develop for NGP at launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:

I think someone took this bit (machine translated):

"SCE's plans for PS4 generation machine, the various plans so far surfaced, disappeared. "

And thought that meant that plans had been suspended. Whereas I think it means that plans or talk about it that had surfaced had disappeared - i.e. it all went quiet on that front, that Watch Impress had heard no news about it, no updates since they last heard Sony and IBM went back to the drawing board on the CPU.

Vinci

Danish
onken said:

I'm sorry, I forgot to include the necessary 'IMO' when making a post. Perhaps I should sign each and every one with that. Obviously when I speak it's with the authority of mankind as a whole unless I provide a disclaimer.

Seriously? You like the controller; I don't. That didn't stop me from being Sony exclusive for a long, long time. Don't worry, I'm certain my less than favorable opinion on the DualShock isn't going to endanger Sony in any way. You may relax.

IMO

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
slider said:
$299 (with a stupid £ and Euro equivalent) is certainly workable for me. In fact I'd pay more but don't tell Sony that.

I think 299 would shock a lot of people. I would definitely be all over that, and it would be low enough to at least compete with nintendo this time around. IMO 349.99 is about as high as they can go before really hurting themselves.

Vinci said:
I'm sorry, I forgot to include the necessary 'IMO' when making a post. Perhaps I should sign each and every one with that. Obviously when I speak it's with the authority of mankind as a whole unless I provide a disclaimer.

Seriously? You like the controller; I don't. That didn't stop me from being Sony exclusive for a long, long time. Don't worry, I'm certain my less than favorable opinion on the DualShock isn't going to endanger Sony in any way. You may relax.

IMO

IMO your opinion is wrong. You're the ONLY person I've ever heard call the Dualshock uncomfortable. You're definitely holding it wrong.

Zoe

Pinko Marx said:
IMO your opinion is wrong. You're the ONLY person I've ever heard call the Dualshock uncomfortable. You're definitely holding it wrong.

I've seen other people say it, but they either have large hands or, as you said, are doing it wrong.

Obligatory:

ps3.gif

360.gif

Vinci

Danish
Pinko Marx said:

And I've heard plenty of people state that the controller is uncomfortable, so where does that leave us? Like I said, when it first came out there was a pamphlet from Sony at game stores that helped illustrate how to hold it. I hold it in that way. It's still uncomfortable to me. There are people who felt the GameCube controller was uncomfortable, on the other hand, which I quite liked.

You people are taking that comment way too seriously; it was a critique based on my experience, not some sort of judgment passed against Sony. I'm not casting them into the bowels of hell with that opinion.

Hell, we could have easily moved on from the subject if people hadn't been so aggressively defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom