• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo Headed For Long Term Decline?

When Nintendo is at the top they release 2 or 3 games worth playing a year and then everything else I play on consoles I prefer. When Nintendo hasn't been number one they release 2 or 3 games worth playing a year and then everything else I play on consoles I prefer.

Kinspiracy said:
When Nintendo is at the top they release 2 or 3 games worth playing a year and then everything else I play on consoles I prefer. When Nintendo hasn't been number one they release 2 or 3 games worth playing a year and then everything else I play on consoles I prefer.

Que?

J-Rock

Banned
Amirox makes the most sense to me here. He gets why Nintendo is doing what it's doing even though he doesn't completely like it. He's able to see the side of the consumer and the side of the business owner quite clearly. I wish more people around here could do the same.

Amir0x

Banned
I am really just surprised at how they're treating Wii. I understand they announce games last minute so there's probably several Wii games we don't know about, but there really is absolutely nothing for the platform this year so far outside of Skyward Sword. It is a wasteland. And their outright refusal to "do the right thing" and bring us Last Story and Xenoblade to at least fill the gap while they put their focus elsewhere with the 3DS is a shame. It doesn't matter to me too much because Wii has always been the last place platform game wise as far as I'm concerned, but I imagine it has to anger Wii-only owners. They're second class citizens from absolutely every developer now including Nintendo

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Fuzzy said:
It started with the launch of the Genesis. Before that Nintendo could do no wrong in most people's eyes.

Not at all, people were predicting the end of the NES left and right. The big threat to Nintendo was thought to be NEC.

Amir0x said:
I am really just surprised at how they're treating Wii. I understand they announce games last minute so there's probably several Wii games we don't know about, but there really is absolutely nothing for the platform this year so far outside of Skyward Sword. It is a wasteland. And their outright refusal to "do the right thing" and bring us Last Story and Xenoblade to at least fill the gap while they put their focus elsewhere with the 3DS is a shame. It doesn't matter to me too much because Wii has always been the last place platform game wise as far as I'm concerned, but I imagine it has to anger Wii-only owners. They're second class citizens from absolutely every developer now including Nintendo

Can you imagine being a Wii-only gamer? I think I'd quit. I guess technically my grandmother is a Wii-only gamer, because she owns one that my daughter uses when we visit. But I don't think she cares much about release lists.

Amir0x said:

Honestly, at this point, they should just port most of their remaining Wii games to the 3DS and kill the console.
At least they could help foster a good userbase on the 3DS that way.
There's really nothing they can do for the Wii at this point. It was shunned by most of the gaming world from the time it was even rumored.

Deku

Banned
J-Rock said:
Amirox makes the most sense to me here. He gets why Nintendo is doing what it's doing even though he doesn't completely like it. He's able to see the side of the consumer and the side of the business owner quite clearly. I wish more people around here could do the same.

We don;t usually agree but I've come to understand he's quite passionate about what he likes.

And you seem to fail to understand that Not all consumers are the same.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Honestly, at this point, they should just port most of their remaining Wii games to the 3DS and kill the console.
There's really nothing they can do for the Wii at this point. It was shunned by most of the gaming world from the time it was even rumored.

Yeah but man you'd think they'd at least bring Xenoblade and Lost Story, maybe that old Disaster game, Fatal Frame... and one or two of the other Wii games they have sitting over there in Limbo for no reason. I mean if you're not going to put any real significant effort into new Wii games, and developers aren't because the market is dead on the system for third parties, then at least do some relatively low cost translations and bring games that have already been developed at the core :p

You could probably fill in the empty spaces quite nicely this year for Wii if they went back through the Japanese Wii game catalog :p

I want Xenoblade and Last Story really badly :mad:

Amir0x said:
Yeah but man you'd think they'd at least bring Xenoblade and Lost Story, maybe that old Disaster game, Fatal Frame... and one or two of the other Wii games they have sitting over there in Limbo for no reason. I mean if you're not going to put any real significant effort into new Wii games, and developers aren't because the market is dead on the system for third parties, then at least do some relatively low cost translations and bring games that have already been developed at the core :p

You could probably fill in the empty spaces quite nicely this year for Wii if they went back through the Japanese Wii game catalog :p

I want Xenoblade and Last Story really badly :mad:

I still think that at least one of those will make it over this year, but yeah. They have plenty of games in their backlog they could bring out (including games that are already translated like Another Code) but just aren't.
It's just crazy. But, it's Nintendo.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amir0x said:
I think there is an interesting distinction to make, at least I know I have to make it when I discuss NGP.

NGP is exactly the type of portable I want companies to make... high end, focus less on gimmickry and more on core of what is going to either improve gameplay or improve the engine that goes into making the games play better or look better. On the other hand, it's too big for a gaming handheld and it's obviously going to be way overpriced.

Still, if I had a dream handheld and I could pick that dream handheld developers should make games for, it would be NGP.

On the other hand, I realize the market is currently not in shape for high priced, high-market handhelds aimed primarily at adults rather than younger kids (there is no way a NGP should ever be in the hands of a child; it screams delicate. And that's a big part of the gaming handheld market to exclude). So, what should I do? Should I wish they created a system I wanted less but was perhaps more marketable? It's an important distinction. I am going with being happy it's the platform I want, as long as it's under 300. What happens after that is what happens... but I do wish they would make a platform that was competitive to Nintendo. Someone needs to put Nintendo on its toes so that there is real competition and so that Nintendo has to try harder and put more of themselves out there.

NGP is a great handheld and ironically enough it has more gameplay potential than the 3DS, which is a truly shocking turnaround after the DS/PSP disparity. So I feel bad complaining about it, but it's impossible to ignore how difficult it's going to be for the thing.

I think if they'd just paid a bit more attention to the basics, they could have covered both markets a bit better. Size especially. It would obviously benefit from being a slider, which would also emphasise the different types of games it could play when closed with the touchscreen. If it was a heat problem then they should have just rolled back on the specs a bit, it could still be a beast.

If the point of the chosen specs was to show off things like Uncharted as impressive as possible, then I don't think that is really worth it with the compromises they've had to make with the form-factor. Even more so if we see a glut of things like that and FPS games on it at the expense of more interesting things that handhelds are very suited to. By the time a second revision comes out, the identity of the platform and the nature of it's market will be sealed.

It also needs a clear angle, which it doesn't really have. Things like the back touchpad just rub me up the wrong way, it's there just for the sake of it and hoping people find a use for it. 3G as standard in Japan could provide it's angle, but then that will be lost in the West with the multiple skus. HDMI out and blurring the line between console and handheld would have been an angle, even if it's obvious why they killed it.

Competition is good, and being a hardware junkie I'd love a beast of a handheld. Just I think the NGP with the choices they've made is going to have even narrower appeal than the PSP. And that's going to affect the type of games on it, as well as it's chances of success in the market. Which will then further affect the games we see on it.

It's a bit of a fumble really.

theBishop

Banned
As far as fiscal soundness, I don't see any reason to be worried. They're raking in cash.

In terms of gaming experience, the long-term decline has been in effect since Gamecube's launch, imo. I wonder if they have the resources to execute at the highest level anymore. They still have great, creative teams with a virtually unmatched attention to detail. But in terms of technology and production I don't see any reason to believe they can pull off a next(current?)-gen with the top developers out there.

theBishop said:
As far as fiscal soundness, I don't see any reason to be worried. They're raking in cash.

In terms of gaming experience, the long-term decline has been in effect since Gamecube's launch, imo. I wonder if they have the resources to execute at the highest level anymore. They still have great, creative teams with a virtually unmatched attention to detail. But in terms of technology and production I don't see any reason to believe they can pull off a next(current?)-gen with the top developers out there.

If by that, you mean they can't make the Crysis of consoles...
Then no.
They never will regardless.
They aren't about pushing that kind of game.
They're about pushing games that can appeal to the greatest number of people.
Which is also why so many of their games stand the test of time.

theBishop said:

This is what matters. Because we're not bothered about graphics, right?

Amir0x

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
I think if they'd just paid a bit more attention to the basics, they could have covered both markets a bit better. Size especially. It would obviously benefit from being a slider, which would also emphasise the different types of games it could play when closed with the touchscreen. If it was a heat problem then they should have just rolled back on the specs a bit, it could still be a beast.

If the point of the chosen specs was to show off things like Uncharted as impressive as possible, then I don't think that is really worth it with the compromises they've had to make with the form-factor. Even more so if we see a glut of things like that and FPS games on it at the expense of more interesting things that handhelds are very suited to. By the time a second revision comes out, the identity of the platform and the nature of it's market will be sealed.

I agree, in terms of feeling that it's things like this that are going to make it overpriced. And that they should have aimed for a smaller sized device, perhaps with a clamshell design to give it a more sturdy feel for the younger market. That said, again, I don't mind it from my own perspective because I'm not a kid and I want the most powerful handheld possible :p

DECK'ARD said:
It also needs a clear angle, which it doesn't really have. Things like the back touchpad just rub me up the wrong way, it's there just for the sake of it and hoping people find a use for it. 3G as standard in Japan could provide it's angle, but then that will be lost in the West with the multiple skus. HDMI out and blurring the line between console and handheld would have been an angle, even if it's obvious why they killed it.

This seems to me a personal problem on your part, in terms of "rubbing you the wrong way." The rear touchpad is no more "there just to be there" than 3D is - in fact, it has far more functional benefits than 3D will ever have. I don't mean to say that to wage some sort of fanboy war, but to highlight a point: a rear touchpad literally impacts gameplay with no downsides at all, only upsides. The 3D screen is mostly a gimmick which impacts gameplay in virtually no cases, while simultaneously causing developers to aim lower visually to be able to compensate for the added strain of 3D while simultaneously limiting what they can do with the motion controls and also adding issues like headaches, eye strain and viewing angle problems. It may help a little for judging distance in flight games, racing games and platformers. But, all in all, it's very little gain for huge drawbacks.

It is curious to me that people seem to consider the rear touchpad (pressure sensitive multi-touch btw, just like the front touch screen) a negative add-on that's just there to be obnoxious or something, and yet people seem to open arms the autostereoscopic 3D which demonstratively has all these issues.

To be clear, I don't know your perspective on 3D so I don't want to apply it to you necessarily. But I hear very little claims that the problem-infested autostereoscopic 3D is some obnoxious add on "there just to be there". Meanwhile, the rear trackpad which has no drawbacks at all (except you can't access the battery as easily anymore) and numerous potential gameplay benefits is a negative to some.

Again, unrelated to you since I don't know your opinion. But as far as the lay of the field right now, it seems so quick the fanboy marching orders changed from caring about functional gameplay benefits to whoring out graphical gimmicks.

DECK'ARD said:
Competition is good, and being a hardware junkie I'd love a beast of a handheld. Just I think the NGP with the choices they've made is going to have even narrower appeal than the PSP. And that's going to affect the type of games on it, as well as it's chances of success in the market. Which will then further affect the games we see on it.

It's a bit of a fumble really.

Well, I mean, I think the appeal will be pretty equal to PSP. I don't see how it could possibly be narrower, unless it's REALLY outrageously priced. It does what PSP does but with more refined control functionality and better interface.

Like you say, though, if it does not have success at market, it will impact the games it gets and that's a problem. NGP should not again count on Square Enix's leftovers to get it through the cold winter nights, even though Tactics Ogre IS the greatest handheld game ever made.

Jokeropia

canova said:
Nintendo is going the way of Sega
I have an image to illustrate what a clueless fanboy you are, and since we're talking long term in this thread I think it's pretty appropriate:

2elxeyo.jpg

Neiteio

Kinspiracy said:
Can you imagine being a Wii-only gamer? I think I'd quit. I guess technically my grandmother is a Wii-only gamer, because she owns one that my daughter uses when we visit. But I don't think she cares much about release lists.
Agreed. I had been a Nintendo-only gamer until Summer 2008, when I took the plunge and picked up the MGS4 80GB PS3 bundle.

Best and most eye-opening purchase ever: MGS4/MGO, Soul Calibur IV, Warhawk, Pure, all in quick succession; BioShock (the system seller for me, actually, as I wanted this and a Blu-ray player for Pan's Labyrinth), GTA4, LittleBigPlanet, Dead Space, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV and Batman Arkham Asylum not long after that; imported Siren Blood Curse from Australia and downloaded Flower and Noby Noby Boy; and then late 2009/early 2010 was simply a fantastic time, with Uncharted 2, BioShock 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3 and Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare. Now I'm loving MvC3 and frankly, I don't know if I'd even be gaming right now if not for PS3.

I still enjoyed standout Wii titles like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, NSMB Wii and SMG2 in that time. Recently I enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn -- loved it, in fact -- and wanted to love DKCR, but the waggle controls were stressfully unresponsive, which is a shame since you won't find a bigger fan of the DKC trilogy than me, and Nintendo's greatest strength is usually intuitive control... There have been solid Wii titles, but the ones that interest me are so few these days.

Skyward Sword is Wii's last hope in my eyes, and really, it pains me how all Wii games look washed-out on modern-day TVs. A good Nintendo game is like a precious piece of gaming history that ought to be preserved in a museum, yet Nintendo does so little to futureproof its own games when it continues to put them out on a standard-def system.

Had the PS3 not saved my love of games, the 3DS would have. It doesn't have the futureproof problem, since its games will always look good on its screen. Ironically, titles like Ocarina of Time that are blurry and washed-out to an unplayable degree on Wii look fantastic on 3DS, so the portable is even futureproofing titles from past systems... which is great. The 3DS is everything I wanted and more, but if it hadn't been for the PS3, I don't know if I as a gamer would have made it there in time.

I can't wait for a high-def Nintendo system. I really hope it can upscale Wii games as well. Though I'm very concerned about how shitty so many Virtual Console games are going to look as modern TVs get better and better. My beloved DKC2 looks barely recognizable on an HDTV... Thankfully, I still have a few SDTVs lying around the house for playing Wii. But I really hope they find a way to "clean up" how old VC games look on HDTVs. :-\

Gravijah

Jokeropia said:
I have an image to illustrate what a clueless fanboy you are, and since we're talking long term in this thread I think it's pretty appropriate:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2elxeyo.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

if you read that right to left, nintendo is sooooo fucked

Amir0x

Banned
Shanadeus said:
Nintendo has never had any major losses?
That's pretty sweet.

not true, Nintendo lost its grandmother at the age of 4 and when it was 19 its father died in a tragic car accident.

The 3DS will be huge but I don't see the next console replicating the Wii's success unless it's something wildly different from the Wii. I'm sort of doubtful of casuals updating their console they almost never play for one exactly the same except this one is in HD and can do 3D

Something Wicked said:
I don't think people realize what kind of money Microsoft and Sony can throw around for their game consoles versus Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony will likely sell a console worth $600-800 in 2012/2013 for $400-500- they know they can initially sell at such prices. Will Nintendo sell each console with similar tech specs at a loss each (unlike the Wii) next time around? Unlikely, and with its competitors to have motion control options in their next consoles, I don't see what the next Nintendo console will have to entice people to buy it over technologically superior consoles. Will Mario, Zelda, and a cheaper price point be enough for the masses?
Something Wicked said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if you know how Wall Street works, dude. In order to maintain Nintendo's stock price, Nintendo not only has to be profitable with its next console, but meet or beat investors' expectations of Nintendo's next console. I, for one, do not see it happening at all and somewhere around 2014 or so, Nintendo's stock will plummet.
You talk about stock prices and investors pushing Nintendo to increase their profits over time but somehow think Sony's and Microsoft's stockholders would be okay with them pissing away money at the start of every generation by selling their consoles at a significant loss? Are Nintendo's investors greedier and smarter about money than those of Sony and Microsoft or something?

AceBandage said:

The Wii is still selling fine, they have no reason to kill it off.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It really depends on what Nintendo does next with their home consoles. The DS was never truly disruptive so something like the 3DS experiencing a decline is not surprising. What could surprise though is what they have in store foir their next home system, 3D is not as groundbreaking as touchscreen or motion controls, but they have to be working on something significant. That's my hope anyway.

Bel Marduk said:
The Wii is still selling fine, they have no reason to kill it off.

It is, but it's really off the back of older software.
Nothing announced so far will help spur sales again (though that could change come E3).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amir0x said:
This seems to me a personal problem on your part, in terms of "rubbing you the wrong way." The rear touchpad is no more "there just to be there" than 3D is - in fact, it has far more functional benefits than 3D will ever have. I don't mean to say that to wage some sort of fanboy war, but to highlight a point: a rear touchpad literally impacts gameplay with no downsides at all, only upsides. The 3D screen is mostly a gimmick which impacts gameplay in virtually no cases, while simultaneously causing developers to aim lower visually to be able to compensate for the added strain of 3D while simultaneously limiting what they can do with the motion controls and also adding issues like headaches, eye strain and viewing angle problems. It may help a little for judging distance in flight games, racing games and platformers. But, all in all, it's very little gain for huge drawbacks.

It is curious to me that people seem to consider the rear touchpad (pressure sensitive multi-touch btw, just like the front touch screen) a negative add-on that's just there to be obnoxious or something, and yet people seem to open arms the autostereoscopic 3D which demonstratively has all these issues.

To be clear, I don't know your perspective on 3D so I don't want to apply it to you necessarily. But I hear very little claims that the problem-infested autostereoscopic 3D is some obnoxious add on "there just to be there". Meanwhile, the rear trackpad which has no drawbacks at all (except you can't access the battery as easily anymore) and numerous potential gameplay benefits is a negative to some.

Again, unrelated to you since I don't know your opinion. But as far as the lay of the field right now, it seems so quick the fanboy marching orders changed from caring about functional gameplay benefits to whoring out graphical gimmicks.

I'm not really fussed about 3D personally, although I do think it was a very clever thing to add to make the 3DS stand out in the public's eye. In terms of how it applies to games, I think we will see some nice applications of it and games which do benefit. But until I get to use one myself I don't know how much I'm going to like it. Very interested in seeing the AR stuff though, as it's the 3D will make that and it's an interesting area for games even if it's not clear how far the concepts can be extended.

The back touchpad just annoys me because it's symptomatic of Sony's 'throw everything in there' approach rather than ever refining anything. Some of the uses of it were so horribly contrived, like the pinching back and front of the device, that I really don't want that in my games. I think are are going to see a glut of games that try and shoehorn in every control method imaginable, but hopefully this will settle down.

Well, I mean, I think the appeal will be pretty equal to PSP. I don't see how it could possibly be narrower, unless it's REALLY outrageously priced. It does what PSP does but with more refined control functionality and better interface.

Like you say, though, if it does not have success at market, it will impact the games it gets and that's a problem. NGP should not again count on Square Enix's leftovers to get it through the cold winter nights, even though Tactics Ogre IS the greatest handheld game ever made.

Price will obviously be an issue, and also I think the focus on AAA PS3-like games is going to further push it down the console on the go side of things. Rather than the increased input methods leading to a greater diversity of games than PSP. Just the look of the device implies what type of games it's meant to play, and coming off the back of the PSP and people's perceptions of that a lot of it's additions may be lost on people.

My other worry is a load of the more interesting games will be relegated to download only, shelfspace and mindshare dominated by the Uncharted and COD's of the world. Personally I would have liked the PS3-on-the-go handheld to have given more exposure to things like the Super Stardusts and Flowers of this world, which would be perfectly suited to handhelds. Rather than them remaining online and unseen to a lot of people. It still depresses me how few people I know with PS3's even know Flower exists.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Azelover said:
It really depends on what Nintendo does next with their home consoles. The DS was never truly disruptive so something like the 3DS experiencing a decline is not surprising. What could surprise though is what they have in store foir their next home system, 3D is not as groundbreaking as touchscreen or motion controls, but they have to be working on something significant. That's my hope anyway.
The DS wasn't disruptive, but its software like Brain Training and Nintendogs was, I would say. That helped create the market that the Wii later exploded.

theBishop

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
This is what matters. Because we're not bothered about graphics, right?

Well, yes I do like to see nice graphics. One of my favorite things about playing games, especially new franchises is getting to explore a new world. And better graphics do make that experience better in my opinion. Bioshock's Rapture wouldn't be as stunning on PS2.

But I think there's a larger problem at Nintendo. Setting aside graphics, Nintendo always seems to be lowering the stakes. It's been a long time since they put significant resources behind a new franchise that matches the production level of top last-gen games like Splinter Cell, Halo, God of War, etc. The Wii is more than capable enough to produce these kinds of games, but Nintendo won't do it. And before you say I'm just asking for M-For-Mature bloodbaths, I'd be thrilled if Nintendo launched a new mascot platformer. Playing the latest Ratchet and Clank games, I can't help but wonder what Nintendo could do on HD hardware if they put a decent budget behind it.

Most Nintendo games doesn't even have voice acting. LucasArts had this in 1993.

Jokeropia

Shanadeus said:
Nintendo has never had any major losses?
That's pretty sweet.
No fiscal year loss since becoming publicly traded in 1962. They've had a few (rare) unprofitable quarters, but always turned it around for the full year.

spritex

seady said:
OP should be ashamed of himself for making this topic.
Ditto. What a stupid thing to do.

I am more of a western RPG originally (and still am) and only recently saw how they opereate and I like it.

theBishop said:
Well, yes I do like to see nice graphics. One of my favorite things about playing games, especially new franchises is getting to explore a new world. And better graphics do make that experience better in my opinion. Bioshock's Rapture wouldn't be as stunning on PS2.

But I think there's a larger problem at Nintendo. Setting aside graphics, Nintendo always seems to be lowering the stakes. It's been a long time since they put significant resources behind a new franchise that matches the production level of top last-gen games like Splinter Cell, Halo, God of War, etc. The Wii is more than capable enough to produce these kinds of games, but Nintendo won't do it. And before you say I'm just asking for M-For-Mature bloodbaths, I'd be thrilled if Nintendo launched a new mascot platformer. Playing the latest Ratchet and Clank games, I can't help but wonder what Nintendo could do on HD hardware if they put a decent budget behind it.

Sorry... but what?
Also, why does it have to be a "new mascot platformer"?
If it plays exactly like a Mario game then what's the difference?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Kinspiracy said:
I'm a Wii only gamer.

theBishop said:
Fact: Voice acting has never, ever, made a video game better (unless you're rating it on an unintentional comedy scale).

Gravijah

nincompoop said:
Fact: Voice acting has never, ever, made a video game better (unless you're rating it on an unintentional comedy scale).

plus gibberish is always better see animal crossing and the legendary zelda

theBishop

Banned
AceBandage said:
Sorry... but what?
Also, why does it have to be a "new mascot platformer"?
If it plays exactly like a Mario game then what's the difference?

Mario can be dropped into a lot of environments successfully, I don't deny that. But a Mario game always looks and feels like a Mario game. Mario cannot be Oddworld, or Psychonauts, or Prince of Persia.

I didn't see anybody complain when Kid Icarus was announced that it should have been a Mario game. Mario can fly, Icarus can fly, what's the difference, right?

qq more

theBishop said:

Voice acting isn't really that important in Nintendo's games. They don't add much to the games.

theBishop

Banned
nincompoop said:

Go play Day of the Tentacle on a PC without Soundblaster support.

theBishop said:
Mario can be dropped into a lot of environments successfully, I don't deny that. But a Mario game always looks and feels like a Mario game. Mario cannot be Oddworld, or Psychonauts, or Prince of Persia.

I didn't see anybody complain when Kid Icarus was announced that it should have been a Mario game. Mario can fly, Icarus can fly, what's the difference, right?

This... is one horrible argument...

nincompoop said:
Bu-bu-but how will my craving for epically long cinematic cutscenes be satisfied without voice acting?

They are not going away, but they are going shrink unless their next console is a big hit.

I think the handheld market is going to be weak due to competition from iPhones, iPads, Android phones, iTouch, etc. So they are going to lose a lot of money in that space unless the 3D handheld is a huge hit.

Top Bottom