• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Talks About The Possibility Of A Multiplatform Gears Of War

StuBurns

Banned
Both first parties 'money hat' there is nothing wrong with doing it either, I don't know what the stigma is.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
And who owns the Alan Wake IP?

footer_copy.gif
Do you know what an IP is?

If MS own the exclusive publishing rights to that game, Remedy can't do anything with it unless MS allows it, regardless of who owns the IP. Now if they made Alan Wake 2 without MS, that'd be different.

Karak said:
I have always wondered about this. At times 3rd party dev's have said they like to work with Sony. And instantly people are saying "Yup they offer them tons of testing and a good environment and so forth, makes sense."

Then if someone like EPIC says, "MS offers testing, helps us out, is really supportive."
Everyone says, "Bah, moneybags. Has to be."

Does it have to be?

It's called sour grapes and tears. Sony fanboys seem to forget that Sony spent boatloads of cash for exclusives in their fight with Nintendo. And it worked for them.

Kinspiracy said:
It's called sour grapes and tears. Sony fanboys seem to forget that Sony spent boatloads of cash for exclusives in their fight with Nintendo. And it worked for them.

The problem with that statement, though, is that those were permanent dealings.

I still don't see Final Fantasy VII ported to a Nintendo or Xbox system.

(I have the superior version on PC)

KAL2006 said:
Not Sony why do you ask this, did anyone say sony own those IPs
Sony own way more IPs than Microsoft who have barely developed any new IPs for themselves this gen.

I was responding to someone who said that developers who own their IP are flushing money down the toilet by making their games exclusives so was pointing out more examples of all this money in the toilet. My point was, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors to make these games exclusive regardless of who owns the IP.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
The problem with that statement, though, is that those were permanent dealings.

I still don't see Final Fantasy VII ported to a Nintendo or Xbox system.

(I have the superior version on PC)

Doesn't matter how you do it, fanboys like yourself will justify it regardless. Paying for an advantage isn't a concept Microsoft invented, and not one that Sony has shunned. Microsoft is just doing it better at the moment.

StuBurns said:
Do you know what an IP is?

If MS own the exclusive publishing rights to that game, Remedy can't do anything with it unless MS allows it, regardless of who owns the IP. Now if they made Alan Wake 2 without MS, that'd be different.

What an asinine statement to make. If I didn't understand intellectual properties, we wouldn't be discussing how Microsoft has no IP rights to the Gears of War franchise. The only thing keeping the Gears of War series exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox 360 platform (despite the first one showing up on PC, in which Epic had full control over unlike Remedy did with Alan Wake) is the truckloads of money Microsoft throws at them. The multiplatform statement made by Mike Capps was to threaten Microsoft into giving them even more money to keep the franchise exclusive. There would be no need for Epic to remain exclusive otherwise. They aren't a charity, after all.

StuBurns

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
What an asinine statement to make. If I didn't understand intellectual properties, we wouldn't be discussing how Microsoft has no IP rights to the Gears of War franchise. The only thing keeping the Gears of War series exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox 360 platform (despite the first one showing up on PC, in which Epic had full control over unlike Remedy did with Alan Wake) is the truckloads of money Microsoft throws at them. The multiplatform statement made by Mike Capps was to threaten Microsoft into giving them even more money to keep the franchise exclusive. There would be no need for Epic to remain exclusive otherwise. They aren't a charity, after all.

You completely failed to answer or understand the post, I suspect fanboyism has corroded several vital parts of the brain required to interpret language.

You are ignore list bound, feel no need to respond.

exwallst

It could hurt the long term UE business. All the 1st parties have some of the best programmers in the world. Getting them to ply their trade on UE makes Epic's job easier. If 1st parties start improving other engines, it hurts Epic eventually. Remember, Epic never had anything close to the success they're enjoying now. Not in the game side (cross platform UT was typical Epic performance) and not in the engine side.

exwallst

Remedy says the decision wasn't made in Finland!? After they slipped half a decade, they had nothing to do with it? Reminds me of Wisconsin saying they have no money to pay for unions after the businesses got their tax cuts.

Microsoft thinks they own the Gears of War IP-

Panic ye not, for Microsoft shall make more Fable and more Halo and more Forza and more Gears of War.

Forza 4 and Gears of War 3 arrive this autumn - we know that. But we've not had confirmation of a new Fable or Halo game. The last we heard about Fable was Lionhead surveying fans about which of the series' features they're fondest of. Suspicious.

Halo, meanwhile, could make a comeback via a Halo 1 remake at the hands of TimeShift developer Sabre Interactive. That's one of two projects rumoured to be under way at MS internal studio 343 Industries.

"We've got such strong IP in our stable – with Forza, with Fable, with Halo, with Gears – that we're going to continue to build on and innovate on those," Kevin Unangst, senior director of PC and mobile gaming at Microsoft, told Gamasutra.

"You're going to see us do more with Forza, with Halo, with Fable; all the franchises," he reiterated. "But we're also, of course, looking to bring in new IP, looking to bring new things. As a first-party studio, our job is also to experiment, also to lead the way, set the example... things like the integration between Kinect and the phone."

"Where it makes sense we'll bring in new IP. And there's things we're talking about so far and there's things that we haven't talked about."

Unangst said that Microsoft's revealed autumn line-up is not "the sum total" of what Xbox 360 will offer in 2011.

He name-dropped Forza 4 and Kinect Star Wars as games that exist that "we're not yet talking about". "That and some other surprises I'm sure you'll see and hear from us at E3 about," said Unangst.

Or is trying to secure their fanbase by saying that they own the Gears of War IP. Whichever comes first.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
MS has published all of the Gears of Wars games to date. It is an IP that is associated strongly with the Xbox brand, and they will continue to try and make more in the future. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

It's the same thing as Final Fantasy VII/Tactics being published by SCEA.

Dani said:
No where in that does it say that they own the IP.

"We've got such strong IP in our stable – with Forza, with Fable, with Halo, with Gears"

I didn't mean to say that they said they own it, but they are coming off as if they did.

WickedLaharl said:
you either have poor reading comprehension or are just trying to stir up shit.

1st of all, the article is about Microsoft IPs.

2nd of all, they are stating that Gears of War is part of their stable of IPs. Which is false.

Hey You

Shed_a_Ninja said:
"We've got such strong IP in our stable – with Forza, with Fable, with Halo, with Gears"

I didn't mean to say that they said they own it, but they are coming off as if they did.

Shed_a_Ninja said:

2nd of all, they are stating that Gears of War is part of their stable of IPs. Which is false.

"Their stable of IPs" means like IPs on the Platform or the IPs that they are Publishing.

Hey You said:
Not really. I take In their stable as "on our Platform".

"on our platform" applies to all games that are available on the Xbox 360.

EDIT: You stealth edited, so I'll answer to your post that is currently visible:

Hey You said:
"Their stable of IPs" means like IPs on the Platform or the IPs that they are Publishing.

Which was the same thing they said with the first Mass Effect.

Hey You

Shed_a_Ninja said:
"on our platform" applies to all games that are available on the Xbox 360.
I should have thrown the word exclusive in there.

I hEDIT: You stealth edited, so I'll answer to your post that is currently visible:

Which was the same thing they said with the first Mass Effect.
Did MS Publish the first Mass Effect though? I thought EA published Mass Effect.

Edit: I see, it was published by MS for the 360 and EA for PC. Since MS didn't have exclusive publishing rights (For ME), it seems like the case with Gears is different where MS does have publishing rights.

TheOddOne

Shed_a_Ninja, is this for your list?

StuBurns said:
You completely failed to answer or understand the post, I suspect fanboyism has corroded several vital parts of the brain required to interpret language.

You are ignore list bound, feel no need to respond.
This, he seems to also run for the hills when something is asked about lists.

Shed_a_Ninja said:

You've been told twice already to read the article. It never says anything about owning IP's. Your trying to stir shit up, just like the Rare thread.

Hey You said:
Did MS Publish the first Mass Effect though? I thought EA published Mass Effect.

Edit: I see, it was published by MS for the 360 and EA for PC. Since MS didn't have exclusive publishing rights (For ME), it seems like the case with Gears is different where MS does have publishing rights.

Microsoft was supposed to publish the next two Mass Effects. It was part of the agreement.

Doodis

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Microsoft was supposed to publish the next two Mass Effects. It was part of the agreement.
But BioWare was sold to EA, which changed the dynamics of the agreement.

You're really reaching here, bud. Saying "We've got such strong IP in our stable" is not the same thing as saying "We own the Gears IP." But thanks.

Malio

Canova said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Came here to post ""Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gear$, we $at down with Micro$oft and they've given u$ really good, compelling rea$on$ to work with them again.", but the quote will do.

Top Bottom