• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Joe Molotov said:
Oh shit, when did this happen?
I guess they have that completely necessary scene where the two leads stumble into each other at a bath. And here I was thinking that it was a classy, respectable show.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Does...does that mean there are like six of them?

And to think that's the mildest mental imagery this thread has inspired all day.
Fortunately their dogginess extends only to their tails and ears.

The show might actually be interesting if they had six jugs swinging between their legs as they walked.

Jex

JKTrix said:
I've been meaning to make a post about this for a while but I haven't had time to dig much into it. But it has to do with this commercial...Since it started in March, it has sparked a rather interesting response from the users of Nicovideo.jp. They've been taking the animals... and turning them into Giant Robots.

Great ArigatoUsagi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Lzcluv7JM

King SayonaLion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtXyfZWwv8

Gigantic TadaiManbou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95grNRx7vg
This is everything I expected and nothing I could imagine. Cool.
icarus-daedelus said:
I guess if the source material is good/interesting enough that not even Bee Train can fuck it up completely, it's probably worth watching. I'll bite.
They could have made it into a musical!
icarus-daedelus said:
W-well it's not like I'd hang out with them or anything! But yeah, the worst thing I liked in high school was probably Red Jacket Lupin III, but there is nothing wrong with Red Jacket Lupin no matter what those Green Jacket snobs may try to tell you.
A Red Jacket vs Green Jacket discussion is inherently a monocle-level debate already.

Jex

Salazar said:
Philosophy of Gantz/Berserk/K-ON!

These are panels I would attend.
They all sound riveting. Preferably it should just be one big combination panel.
firehawk12 said:
The zen answer: we are both the girl and the tentacle, molesting and being molested.
It's been that kind of night, I see. Tut-tut.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is that from a time when Japanese people didn't give a shit about violating copyrights or whatever?

Oh wait, it's sponsored by Coooooke?

Steroyd said:
Cardcaptor Sakura - 25

Why is there always a damn fine line between being kind and being stupid in anime? Toya gets led off a cliff by fake Sakura, ends up hanging off the cliff while fake Sakura just watches the ledge crumble, proceeds to fall off this cliff (lets ignore him surviving a fall which real Sakura needed the fly card to get to the bottom), and then we find out that he already knew that fake Sakura was fake Sakura the moment he laid eyes on her, oh and he gets away with just an "injured" leg.

It looks like the cards are going to step up their game, and a new character looks to be arriving.
At least when Sakura was lured off a cliff by the Illusion card making her see her mother, she didn't know it wasn't real... I mean, she probably SHOULD have, it was kind of stupid that she didn't, but she didn't. That's even stupider.

Oh and while the subject of Cardcaptor relationships is still hot, I know Toya generally dogs on Sakura's cooking (don't know whether he's putting up a front or not), but I'm hoping him feeding Yukito (litteraly him putting the fork in Yukito's mouth) isn't foreshadowing anything and I'm just overreacting.
Probably not, no, I wouldn't bet on it.

But yeah, CCS relationships... for another one, Syaoran is clearly mostly just tsundere for Sakura. He likes Yukito too, but he's tsundere for Sakura.
(Of course though, I have watched a few episodes of Tsubasa Chronicles, I know who Sakura ends up with.

jman2050 said:
Also it's always amusing watching someone unfamiliar with CLAMP relationships. Always.
I wasn't entirely unfamiliar, I just couldn't help but react like that...

It does remind me of how much I disliked Chobits in part because of the messed up relationship between the main character and his robot girl lover, though... but the other parts of CCS are good enough that that doesn't make me want to abandon it just because of that. We'll see though.

Expecting normal human relationships in a CLAMP anime is like expecting a happy ending from Gen Urobuchi. Genre be damned.

EDIT - Also really, the whole teacher-student thing wasn't even the most creepy thing about those episodes, it was them going out of their way to point out just how perfect Sakura's dad is. It's so saccharine and idealistic it's off-putting.
and
Halcyon said:
I think I mentioned that in one of my previous posts, all things considered he's still considered the perfect father, with that kind smile of his, it's soo frikken creepy.
Seriously, yeah, you're both right. The guy hits on, marries, and impregnates a highschool girl (all before she graduates, almost certainly), and he's considered the absolute most awesome paragon of fatherhood? What...

I know, he's nice, he cooks, cleans, he really loved her, etc, but seriously, that doesn't make up for it. Clamp-world is a weird place.

Steroyd said:
BUT IT'S A MAGICAL GIRL ANIME FFS!!
Clamp apparently thinks little girls need more good role models like Sakura's mother...

Halycon said:
Yukito is the most magical girl of all :3
Really? Huh. :)

icarus-daedelus said:
He suffered, I suffered, we all suffered from Kanon 2002.
Yes, we know, you dislike Kanon '02... sorry, that won't make me like it any less. :)

mAcOdIn said:
Poor guy. That said, I didn't suffer through Kanon 2002. I'll down this Dr. Pepper in front of me in your memory and G's, I didn't know him but I'm sure he suffered?
You haven't watched Kanon? Or did you not dislike it?

What do you mean MORE confusing? Last Exile wasn't "confusing." The ending was the only confusing part and all the recaps in the world prior to the ending wouldn't change that, there are things they never explained that may irk people but of what the viewer was shown there's nothing confusing about Last Exile, just things left out and never expanded upon and a shit ending. If someone needed help keeping track of what was happening then, then, then, I don't know, they shouldn't be watching episodic content.
It's amazing getting a diverse range of opinions and I find it endearing but it is puzzling at times.
But lots of stuff was going on, having recaps helps when you've got a complex show with a lot going on... sure, sometimes they might be a little annoying, but not always. I don't remember having a problem with them in Last Exile.

Geneijin said:
Ouch. I wish you good luck on that.
At least the last one of the three runs well enough for me to be able to use the internet on it, but other than that, yeah, it's not fun. :(

Definitely. :lol
Yeah, considering what it is, competently written and directed IS would have just been painfully, unwatchably bad, probably. So it's kind of good it ended up as it did...

Like have you checked out Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi this season? Very standard harem stuff.
What kind of harem show is it? Anything worth watching about it at all?

Halcyon said:
I dunno, maybe her tsun is yandere? Or yantsun.

She could be 1.4th yan, 1/2 tsun and 1/4th dere.
I thought that Senjogahara is supposed to be considered a classic example of a tsundere... but yeah, I guess she isn't entirely typical for that character type, is she.

But other than that, I do need to comment on how pathetically easy it is to identify anime character types...

By my experience, Anime-GAF goes to sleep around 4AM EST and wakes up 12AM EST.

A full 8 hours! What nice children you all are.
4 am? It doesn't completely die down for a while after that, I'd say...

Halycon said:
If Ryuuji was a shota this would be a Juan Gotoh doujin.

DANGEROUS TERRITORY ABORT ABORT ABORT (not Taiga, because that would be cruel)
That is true isn't it...

cosmicblizzard said:
To this day, I still don't know which I find funnier; Applicant for Death or Mai-chan's Daily Life.
Graduation and Beheading Ceremony.

duckroll said:
I think I should clarify this guro thing once and for all. If you say that when most people speaking English only use "guro" to talk about sick shit that gets them off, then yes that's probably an accurate thing to say. If you're actually talking about the Japanese meaning, then there is no sexual implication in the use of "guro" on its own at all. That is exactly WHY "ero-guro" exists as a term. I'm trying to explain what the term actually means here, and how Japanese people use it.

For example, in Akira, when Tetsuo transforms near the end, that's a great example of what you would describe as a guro transformation scene. That doesn't mean that it was animated or drawn to get people off. That would be ridiculous. There's nothing sexual about it. Do some people with a fetish get off on that, I'm sure, but that's not the intention. The intention is to make it disgusting and weird as fuck.
That's interesting, so there's a difference in the definition between regions... I didn't know that.

A Black Falcon said:
Seriously, yeah, you're both right. The guy hits on, marries, and impregnates a highschool girl (all before she graduates, almost certainly), and he's considered the absolute most awesome paragon of fatherhood? What...

I know, he's nice, he cooks, cleans, he really loved her, etc, but seriously, that doesn't make up for it. Clamp-world is a weird place.

The student/teacher thing may seem creepy, but pretty much everything we see of Fujitaka indicates that he really is the perfect father, and not the type of person who would take advantage of such a relationship. I think they're just trying to make a point that if two people love each other, why should it matter what society thinks of that relatonship? Yeah, not allowing students and teachers to date (or marry) is logical, and I'm not going to argue it should be different, but I get the point they're trying to make.

trejo

Deadman Wonderland 1

10 minutes in and I'm having a hard time suspending my disbelief. For some reason this just comes off as fucking stupid.

Dresden

trejo said:
Deadman Wonderland 1

10 minutes in and I'm having a hard time suspending my disbelief. For some reason this just comes off as fucking stupid.
Not too surprised, the manga isn't that enjoyable either.

Poor manglobe.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Don't forget WcDonald's!
How the mighty Japan has fallen.
trejo said:
Deadman Wonderland 1

Oh, there are lots of reasons. It's so bad that I had trouble surviving the first half. I really kept wanting to just turn it off.

It's rare for a show to ask you to swallow such a large amount of bullshit all at once.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
agami antics > Godai and Kyoko getting together. Fact.
This is like that thing with Nanami, isn't it. Where a few of you are convinced that silly antics somehow redeems the LACK OF PLOT RELEVANCE AND MOVEMENT.

The manga was okay up until the part where...

Okay it was never really okay. I just read it because it tickled the fancies of the 10 year old in my heart.

Dresden

About halfway through Hyouge Mono, and it's pretty good. It's, well, ugly but there's some effort put into Sasuke's awesome reactions. :3

THP0Kl.jpg

DmCztl.jpg

I can't help but wish that the dudes that worked on House of Five Leaves worked on this, though. Or anyone but Bee Train.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Gosenzosama Banbanzai is so fucking weird I bet that no one cared about it enough to actually buy it (it being an OVA), hence the creators having to prostitute the show out to advertisers with the most unsubtle in-show advertisement evars.

But, you know, it just kind of adds to the charm of it. :p
For whatever reason, product placements in cartoons always look funny. Meanwhile everyone on every television show ever uses Bing, plays with the Wii and has an iPhone.

Nichijou 3: Okay, this show is good. The Professor bits are still strange, but the parts at school are amazing. That and some weird editing choices - those off focus interstitials for one - make this a somewhat trippy experience.

Also, they did a funky musak version of a song I know but I can't quite name after the credits. There's another one of those "we don't want to infringe on copyright" things. :lol

duckroll

Deadman Wonderland Ep1

Bad show is bad. I could go on and on about what's bad about it... and in fact I think I will because that should be more entertaining than the time I spent watching that piece of crap.

First of all, the designs are really weird. For an animated adaptation of the manga, it looks more like they took the relatively detailed designs of the faces and hair from the manga panels and slapped them on animation frames. The problem being that most of the time there is practically no animation detail on the faces or the hair, yet they look so "detailed" as artwork. It looks like everyone is wearing a mask and a wig, and it makes scenes very uncomfortable to look at.

Then there is the actual story. It's retarded. The manga was retarded, and since this is a 1:1 adaptation of the manga, it is also retarded. The scenario is contrived, the characters are just pawns to present the ridiculous scenario, and nothing that happens make any logical sense. There is never a feeling that anything happening is remotely reasonable in the real world. It's pure nonsense.

The direction feels rather poor, especially in terms of pacing. Scenes either feel too short, or too long. The lack of proper pacing makes the show a bother to watch. I felt like during each scene I was either wondering when it would end, or wondering why it just ended. No development, no focus, poor presentation, lacking engagement. Piss poor effort all round. It would be faster and more engaging to simply read the manga in a case like this, if anyone cared about the awful story in the first place.

The production values in the show aren't bad. There is some good animation. There is definitely money behind the project. Unfortunately it's all wasted because the show just sucks. I don't see myself watching another episode of this crap, and I really don't think it adds anything of value to this season's line-up. I guess there needs to be duds every season, so in that sense, Deadman Wonderland fills a much needed niche. Without shows like this, how can we truly appreciate all the other good stuff? :)

Lulz.

Jex

Hyouge Mono 1

Well this isn't exactly a beautiful show and it's quality as an "adaptation" is unknown to me, but as the first episode in an anime series I found it to be rather good, actually. I look forward to following it, perhaps extremely slowly.
duckroll said:
Deadman Wonderland Ep1
Then there is the actual story. It's retarded. The manga was retarded, and since this is a 1:1 adaptation of the manga, it is also retarded. The scenario is contrived, the characters are just pawns to present the ridiculous scenario, and nothing that happens make any logical sense. There is never a feeling that anything happening is remotely reasonable in the real world. It's pure nonsense.
I think you're being too lenient. The story needs to be discussed and ridiculed further.

It's a pity Manglobe are working on two bad shows this season.

Mai-Hime 22

Hmmm, what's the best way to exit after telling the guy I may or may not have a crush on to never speak to me again? Oh I know, I'll fall backwards off of a broken bridge while summoning my Pokemon thing instead of just running past him! That'll show him!

I also like how getting kissed in your sleep is equivalent to lesbian rape. Oh Japan.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
I think you're being too lenient. The story needs to be discussed and ridiculed further.

It's a pity Manglobe are working on two bad shows this season.

I've read the manga, so I knew what to expect. I'm just disappointed they didn't get a director who actually agreed the source material was garbage. If this was adapted like Death Note, with a strong self-awareness of the dumbness int he source material, with everything dialed up several degrees and played like a self-parody comedy, it could have been sooo much better. :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 22

Hmmm, what's the best way to exit after telling the guy I may or may not have a crush on to never speak to me again? Oh I know, I'll fall backwards off of a broken bridge while summoning my Pokemon thing instead of just running past him! That'll show him!

I also like how getting kissed in your sleep is equivalent to lesbian rape. Oh Japan.

Can't wait to hear the last episode reaction.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
KuwabaraTheMan said:
The student/teacher thing may seem creepy, but pretty much everything we see of Fujitaka indicates that he really is the perfect father, and not the type of person who would take advantage of such a relationship. I think they're just trying to make a point that if two people love each other, why should it matter what society thinks of that relatonship? Yeah, not allowing students and teachers to date (or marry) is logical, and I'm not going to argue it should be different, but I get the point they're trying to make.
Heh, it might just be guilt. I mean, imagine you were some aloof self-righteous young teacher, and a high school girl falls for you. Cool story bro! You hit that? Hi-fives everywhere! What's this? she wants to marry? Eh, seems sorta clingy, but hey, maybe this way I won't get fired if people find out! Also, free poon! And then... Shit, she died? And now you have two kids? Rough time bro, now I sorta feel bad convincing you to tap dat...

Basically, I think it's a sort of interesting reading to frame Fujitaka as a man who is driven by guilt to be the perfect father, that his late wife's death drove him to be the man that she "saw" and as thus, Sakura sees with the best of her memory and Toya being too young to really understand. The narrative that Sakura hears is a romanticism of what happened between them. Technically "true" in most respects, but from a point of view that wouldn't be utterly traumatizing to a normal 10yo girl. By all respects, Fujitaka is that perfect father to Sakura, but he hasn't remarried nor dated nor done anything to try and put a positive female role model in his children's life. This isn't the behavior of the "perfect widower father", this is the behavior of a man wracked with guilt, but knows better than to show it to his children!

Or am I reading to much into this? :p

Jex

duckroll said:
I've read the manga, so I knew what to expect. I'm just disappointed they didn't get a director who actually agreed the source material was garbage. If this was adapted like Death Note, with a strong self-awareness of the dumbness int he source material, with everything dialed up several degrees and played like a self-parody comedy, it could have been sooo much better. :p
Perhaps you're right. The utter seriousness with which the show presents the story just further drives home how painfully stupid and contrived it is.

In which case Tetsuro Araki would have been the obvious choice, as he clearly knows how to turn silly manga into gloriously silly anime, as his work on Death Note and High School of the Dead demonstrates.

Until you and Trejo started posting it looked like I was only in my displeasure with this show, now I look like less of a crazy outcast.
Aigis said:
Oh my god.

Will Madoka fanwank levels outdo Evangelion fanwank levels in the next few weeks? I think it's possible!
I feel sick.
Joe Molotov said:
So what is everyone's opinion on moe aunts and hot space cousins? Personally, I'm for these things.
Everyone loves moe aunts, of course.

I thought Deadman Wonderland was fine. Some scenes were handled well like the amusement park's explanation with the crazy guard bitch and Shiro's introduction. Only real complaint is how dark the classroom was after the massacre. Hope that's just censoring and it won't be like that on the DVDs.

Dresden

Hyouge Mono:

Sasuke is an amazing protagonist. I have a soft spot for flawed heroes, and as pompous and petty as he comes across in this episode there's something charming about him as well, along with the hilarity that this obsession with possessions and positions in life engenders.

Production is ugly but from what I've read of the manga, the detailed (and varied) facial expressions are what really lends it its humor and I think Bee Trainz did a decent job here.

Will watch more.

So what's anime GAF's opinion on RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne? I've been chugging along with this on Netflix. So far, I can't say I really like it. It's very sleazy and a bit hard to really believe.

trejo

Yeah, Deadman Wonderland is a piece of shit. Stuff like A-Channel and Softenni I can forgive because they are panderbait shows and their badness is inherent and inescapable. But this, this is just so fucking insultingly bad on nearly every level. I felt like it was making fun of my intelligence just watching it. I mean, not even the inmature, stupid 13 year-old me would have thought this was any good. It's a damned shame that it seems to have an actual budget because it is utterly wasted on this stupid and ill-conceived excuse of a premise.

Rahxephon91 said:
So what's anime GAF's opinion on RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne? I've been chugging along with this on Netflix. So far, I can't say I really like it. It's very sleazy and a bit hard to really believe.

Only watched the first episode. It was all right. Don't know if I want to commit any more time to it though.

Dresden

Rahxephon91 said:
It's shit.

e: it does get points for all the random sex though. Hilariously out of place sex, everywhere, every episode.

duckroll

Rahxephon91 said:

It has lesbians and sluts who also happen to be immortal, and they like to cut each other up and have orgies.

trejo said:
Yeah, Deadman Wonderland is a piece of shit. Stuff like A-Channel and Softenni I can forgive because they are panderbait shows and their badness is inherent and inescapable. But this, this is just so fucking insultingly bad on nearly every level. I felt like it was making fun of my intelligence just watching it. I mean, not even the inmature, stupid 13 year-old me would have thought this was any good. It's a damned shame that it seems to have an actual budget because it is utterly wasted on this stupid and ill-conceived excuse of a premise.

:(

The premise is awesome. It's an amusement park where convicted criminals work! Even if it's not believable and stupid as hell, it's an interesting idea. I really wish more series took place in a prison even if it's not a realistic one. One of the reasons I loved Jojo part 6 so much.

Dresden said:
It's shit.

e: it does get points for all the random sex though. Hilariously out of place sex, everywhere, every episode.

cosmicblizzard said:
Only watched the first episode. It was all right. Don't know if I want to commit any more time to it though.
Well, I'm happy to know I'm not crazy. But I only have 2 more episodes left, mine as well see how much more softcore porn they can throw at me.

And the op is pretty funny, with it's engrish and all.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
I feel sick.
I honestly don't see why, it's just a basic population model as applied to Madoka Magical Girls. It's just someone had too much time on their hands and an ecology book.

The whole foundation is troll physics anyway, so it's not like it matters or anything.

duckroll

cosmicblizzard said:
:(

The premise is awesome. It's an amusement park where convicted criminals work! Even if it's not believable and stupid as hell, it's an interesting idea. I really wish more series took place in a prison even if it's not a realistic one. One of the reasons I loved Jojo part 6 so much.

It's not an original premise. It's not an interesting idea anymore (maybe if this was the 80s). It's a horrible show. The entire "condemned criminals forced to take part in reality show deathmatch games" plot element has been beaten to death so much it's not even remotely curious anymore, much less interesting.

Jex

trejo said:
On reflection, I think the best moment occurs in the courthouse (although that scene is packed with great moments). It's when the video pops up of protagonist talking to his defence lawyer about how he killed all those people, which in itself is fairly ridiculous. But what really sells the scene the totally over the top expression he wears while delivering the lines, like some kind of comic book villain celebrating how evil he is. It's these little details that really help sell the scenario.

trejo

duckroll said:
It's not an original premise. It's not an interesting idea anymore (maybe if this was the 80s). It's a horrible show. The entire "condemned criminals forced to take part in reality show deathmatch games" plot element has been beaten to death so much it's not even remotely curious anymore, much less interesting.
If not even 80's Ahnold could make something enjoyable out of it then you know the premise is just no good.

duckroll said:

I don't even mean the games. I just like the setting and atmosphere that comes with a life of incarceration. It's like a base in a Suikoden game, but everyone is a crazy criminal and you're not allowed to do stuff but you do anyway because the rules of normal prison don't apply.

But hey, I've voiced my opinion. Clearly not gonna change anyone's mind here. I'll continue to enjoy it and eventually pick up where I left off in the manga.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
On reflection, I think the best moment occurs in the courthouse (although that scene is packed with great moments). It's when the video pops up of protagonist talking to his defence lawyer about how he killed all those people, which in itself is fairly ridiculous. But what really sells the scene the totally over the top expression he wears while delivering the lines, like some kind of comic book villain celebrating how evil he is. It's these little details that really help sell the scenario.

You know what would have been an awesome way to adapt DMW? Frame the entire narrative as special news marathon report which is broadcast long after the fact. Make it totally ridiculous and Fox News-like, with the presenters being obviously biased and pushing this ridiculous agenda and scenario as if it were true.

I would watch that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nichijou 02: I don't know if it is because I already knew what to expect, but that was fairly enjoyable. I think the last short suffered from not having one specific joke to focus on, but everything else was alright. I have to commend the composer at least; all the music is gorgeous to listen to and fits every scene in a way I haven't heard since, shit, Tom & Jerry?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regulus Tera said:
Nichijou 02: I don't know if it is because I already knew what to expect, but that was fairly enjoyable. I think the last short suffered from not having one specific joke to focus on, but everything else was alright. I have to commend the composer at least; all the music is gorgeous to listen to and fits every scene in a way I haven't heard since, shit, Tom & Jerry?
The music is so classic American cartoon it just evokes pure nostalgia for anyone who grew up with that stuff. OST wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom