• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raiden actor has no idea what's going on with MGS: Rising

neo2046 said:
coincidence? something related?
Kojima just posted this earlier today

http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo/status/72642775920807936
1年かけて精緻に準備したものが、意味のないものになった。

"This was prepared delicately over a year, now became meaningless."

Graphics Horse said:
Well my first thought is with the announcement of the PSP Remasters series, and heavy hints he was planning something similarly 'revolutionary' for an NGP/PS3 game, it might be to do with that killing the impact of his idea. But he could be talking about a food recipe for all I know.

That must be it - his pickled plums he's been keeping for a year went bad.

ArjanN

Anth0ny said:
Damn, that sucks if it's cancelled. I always thought Rising looked pretty cool.

Relax, it's not cancelled, either they went with another guy or they just didn't record the english dialogue yet.

The only thing i give a crap about from the Konami Conference is my deepest wish that Konami finally takes the WADS of CASH THAT XBox Gamers will toss their way, and announce MGS 4 for Xbox 360.

Take. My. Money. Konami.

Kojima is the ONLY reason that I ever considered buying a PS3...ever.

...well, Kojima and the Shadows of Colossus guys...

BlackBanditSho said:
The only thing i give a crap about from the Konami Conference is my deepest wish that Konami finally takes the WADS of CASH THAT XBox Gamers will toss their way, and announce MGS 4 for Xbox 360.

Take. My. Money. Konami.

It's never coming and is'nt even worth it to begin with.

Tucah

you speak so well
BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

Never coming. Give it up.

K.Jack said:
I hope they replace him. He can't hold a candle to the Japanese actor.
Blasphemy! Quinton Flynn is awesome. I haven't heard his Japanese voice actor (in a while), though.
Metroid-Squadron said:
Why are you people ignoring this?
It doesn't mean that much. They will have to record (some of) the voice acting and redo the lip-syncing before they can release an English trailer. That stuff takes time.

BigBoss

I'm guessing nobody here listens to the KP report? A while back they mentioned that voice recording had already started, probably for the JPN version and the next time we see the game will be in a Kojima-esque story trailer. They said that E3 will be huge for KP so unless Rising is a no-show at E3 there is no reason to think it has been canceled.

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

lol.
txCbD.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

Jump out.

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

It is HILARIOUS that this is still an issue for some people.

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

you'll get it when I get Condemned 1 for the PS3!!!!!!

btkadams

yeah, i'm betting on the game just not ready for VA as opposed to him just not being included. it's probably just behind schedule.

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

This is why having both system is a good idea.

Ra1den

Oh wow. Konami get your shit together. A game STARRING Raiden and your not willing to use the same VA? It would be bad enough to change the VA if Raiden were just a side character, and this is way worse.

I think it would almost be easier to replace Hayter as Snake than it would be to replace Flynn as Raiden. Flynn does such an incredible job of nailing the nuances of Raiden's character.

Selling an MGS title without Snake is tough enough as it is, this kind of BS is not going to help the fanbase feel the need to shell out on launch day.

.la1n

Ra1den said:
Oh wow. Konami get your shit together. A game STARRING Raiden and your not willing to use the same VA? It would be bad enough to change the VA if Raiden were just a side character, and this is way worse.

I think it would almost be easier to replace Hayter as Snake than it would be to replace Flynn as Raiden. Flynn does such an incredible job of nailing the nuances of Raiden's character.

Selling an MGS title without Snake is tough enough as it is, this kind of BS is not going to help the fanbase feel the need to shell out on launch day.

Ra1den
(Today, 02:50 PM)
Reply | Quote

Chemo

Ra1den said:
This is completely ridiculous. I have no problem with Flynn's performance but David Hayter is irreplaceable as Snake.

2009: announce, show cutscene of fighting, announce only 10% is done
2010: sword slashing trailer
seems like the game is going to take along time to come out.

jett

D-Member
Chemo said:
This is completely ridiculous. I have no problem with Flynn's performance but David Hayter is irreplaceable as Snake.

He should've been replaced two games ago. Dude's fucking awful.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
K.Jack said:
I hope they replace him. He can't hold a candle to the Japanese actor.
The Japanese Raiden VA is awesome. I'd actually play MGS Rising completely in Japanese (despite everyone in the game being American) just for his voice.

thetrin said:
The Japanese Raiden VA is awesome. I'd actually play MGS Rising completely in Japanese (despite everyone in the game being American) just for his voice.
I honestly think half the hatred Raiden gets in the West is because of Flynn's voice acting in MGS2. When you look at the things he's saying ("This is totally a conspiracy, Solid Snake obviously isn't the terrorist leader, this is a bunch of crazy bullshit why do I have to put up with this, Rose why the fuck are you calling me now") he's really not that far off from Snake's grumblings in MGS1, but Flynn makes him sound smarmy and whiny. The man can do good work, but he flubbed it with Raiden by taking it way too far in the "inexperienced new guy" direction.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Quinton Flynn does a better job as Raiden than Hayter does as Snake. His acting in MGS4 was borderline parody.

EmCeeGramr said:
The man can do good work, but he flubbed it with Raiden by taking it way too far in the "inexperienced new guy" direction.
Did it entirely at Kojima's behest, also, character arc...

TGL: Are you gutted? How do feel about this? I mean, this character means so much to you. You ARE Raiden!

haha oh wow. This is like Keanu Reeves saying that before Speed, he thought his gravestone would have 'here lies Ted. Excellent.' written on it.

Phatcorns

thetrin said:

If I recall, the Japanese Raiden voice is really deep and sounds nothing like the American version.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Chamber said:
Quinton Flynn does a better job as Raiden than Hayter does as Snake. His acting in MGS4 was borderline parody.
To be fair, pretty much everything else in MGS4 was borderline parody too.

Hayter's not bad (his voice in Castle of Cagliostro was pretty good), but the gruff sounding voice he does as Snake is just bad.

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

PS3 gamers have already given him our WADS of CASH and we can't even get trophies. Just let it go man. Let it go.

Vamphuntr

This is probably far behind schedule. Like some already posted in the thread, the only footage we saw in 2 years was a weird watermelon cutting demo. They will probably call the actor in due time either to confirm they need his talent or simply to explain why they've replaced him. After all the work he did on the MGS I do think he deserves an answer.

As for Hayter saying he has not heard of anything about Snake or MGS, I don't think this a hint that no MGS games are coming. Maybe Snake Eater 3D reuse the voices from the PS2 game? As for Kojima, well he's always making MGS games. I hope that his next project he hinted at during the NGP conference is something else but knowing him it will be another MGS game.

Ra1den

EmCeeGramr said:
I honestly think half the hatred Raiden gets in the West is because of Flynn's voice acting in MGS2. When you look at the things he's saying ("This is totally a conspiracy, Solid Snake obviously isn't the terrorist leader, this is a bunch of crazy bullshit why do I have to put up with this, Rose why the fuck are you calling me now") he's really not that far off from Snake's grumblings in MGS1, but Flynn makes him sound smarmy and whiny. The man can do good work, but he flubbed it with Raiden by taking it way too far in the "inexperienced new guy" direction.

His voice is certainly a bit on the high pitch side, but it's a good fit for the way he looks. I think the Japanese VA sounded excellent as well, but Flynn's voice was equally suitable, given the character.

Stubo said:
I tried and failed to find a non-kotaku source for this...but according to them (and people who source their information from them), the game has been delayed to 2012, and I've heard November 2012.

Regardless of this rumoured delay, it would be reassuring to see more of this game soon. I know a lot of people aren't too into Raiden, but I'll be picking this up. I can't imagine the game will be 'in trouble', perhaps just making slower progress than previously hoped. Or at least I hope so, it would be a shame to never see the finished product.

was there ever even an announced release date? if not, how can the game be delayed? i mean i understand there's an expectancy for a game to come out within a certain amount of time since its announcement, but without an official release date we can't really call it a 'delay'.

i really hope its not cancelled, i have high hopes ;_;

BlackBanditSho said:

Take. My. Money. Konami.

Maybe you'll get a Silicon Knights remake of MGS4.

robor

Risk Breaker said:
Like I said, games born out of moneyhats are shit and disappoint everyone 99% of the time.

There was absolutely no reason to create a "spin-off" not done by Kojima that would take the place AND the budget of a full MGS game (namely MGS5, MGS0, whatever). Argh.

Love it.

I'd love to see Kojima make a game that doesn't require 10 hours of codec monologues and cutscenes. That would make Rising's development cycle look completely miniscule in comparison.

If somehow the game is cancelled, then please ffs just release a watermelon cutting demos. I would just slice up objects and fruit for hours.

legacyzero

Banned
zlatko said:
Odds are he just got canned for a different voice actor. :p

Would I be a bad Metal Gear fan is I thought this was ok? I know it's not cool to take actors out that have been tied to the series for multiple entries. But Flynn's voice is just terrible to me.

Top Bottom