• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #75 - "Insignificance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme: "Insignificance"

Word Count: 2,000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, June 1st at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, June 2nd, and goes until Sunday, June 5th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: "Unwitnessed"

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Cyan

Banned
Mike Works said:
You still owe me a critique, old man.
Heh. All right, the three crits I had left to do:

Mike Works - "Induced" - Dude, this story made me sit up and take notice. A lot of positives here: the mundane but distinctive details that ground Liam as a character, the interactions between him and Allie (and the description of her, which clearly tells us what he finds attractive about her without ever actually telling us), the interplay between the dream as plot point and the dreams (as in "hopes and") of the MC. And the ending, which is pretty much perfect. Ends at the right place for the right reason.

Nits: the opening doesn't quite work. The "you" thing doesn't do it for me; I'd rather we get an early glimpse of Liam so we have something to anchor this to, some sense that it's a story event rather than an odd extended metaphor. Also, the callback to it during the dream could've been a little more overt--my first time through the story, I didn't even realize we had come back to that opening moment. The beginning of the dream itself, in contrast, was too solid and not vague enough. "Liam fell through his dreams". No! The whole point of the lucid dreaming is that he doesn't know he's dreaming until he instinctively follows his training and becomes lucid. Trust the reader to know from the setup and from the weird goings-on that he's now dreaming. This also took away from the impact of the eventual lucidity. Should've been a big moment but wasn't.

Anyway, this is definitely among your best challenge stories, and you've improved plenty since we last saw you. You been cheating on us? :O

weepy - "Masochist" - Great choice, and an unusual choice of protagonist that led to oddly different angles on standard set-piece situations. "Is that a promise or a threat?" made me chuckle. That said, there's an enormous amount of setup here, followed by a comparatively tiny piece of actual action. I don't think we need the details of where the guy was born and all that. Those words could've been spent illustrating a few choice earlier scenes in real-time action rather than narrative summary (i.e. showing not telling).

DumbNameD - "Falling Short" - Good establishment of character, dialogue, blah blah blah. My main problem here was the predictability (I almost said inevitability there, but that's not quite it--in fact, where there was a feeling of inevitability, that was more of a strength). We know who the perp is from the moment Amir starts chasing him, and letting him go was unsurprising as well. Not sure what you could have done differently there, but there must be some way to keep it from being so obvious. Or maybe, rather than keep it from being obvious, embrace it. Like, rather than stressing that the guy has a bandana on his face, and trying to make his identity a mystery, let Amir think that he already knows who it is and why. Turn it more into the strength of inevitability than the weakness of predictability.

Oh, and great last line to tie the whole thing together. Loved it.

Ashes

Banned
When I was brainstorming my last story, "insignificant" & "witnesses" were two of the keywords. For some reason I feel burnt out. I'll try and get something submitted. But I can't promise it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hopefully I'll be back again for this go round. I'll try to brainstorm tonight and maybe start writing, so I don't end up leaving it til the last minute like last time.

Irish

Ashes1396 said:
When I was brainstorming my last story, "insignificant" & "witnesses" were two of the keywords. For some reason I feel burnt out. I'll try and get something submitted. But I can't promise it.

Just be like me and write like you don't give a damn. No need to pour hours of thought into every story. Sometimes it's nice to just create a break story every once and awhile.

Ashes

Banned
Aye. I see what you mean.

Still, I started something, but I've given up.

btw: Gary Shteyngart has become the first American author to win the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for comic fiction with his dystopian novel Super Sad True Love Story.
As is tradition, they are going to name a pig after him.

Tangent

Ashes1396 said:
btw: Gary Shteyngart has become the first American author to win the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for comic fiction with his dystopian novel Super Sad True Love Story.

As is tradition, they are going to name a pig after him.

That is AWESOME about the pig. I agree w/Irish about just banging something out to submit for submission's sake. If it works out for you!

Thanks for all the congrats, guys. What a pleasant surprise -- I didn't even check the thread at a reasonable time on Monday. Thanks to Cyan for putting up the new challenge!

Tangent

Lone_Prodigy said:
When I read Tangent's entry in the last challenge, I thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTKyIC19TU

Looking forward to checking this out, but maybe it's safer if I'm NOT at work.

Ashes1396 said:

I have to say, I have no idea where these words came from. I have NO ideas whatsoever either. Dangit.

Cyan

Banned
Tangent said:
I have to say, I have no idea where these words came from. I have NO ideas whatsoever either. Dangit.
Ah, you are experiencing the OP curse! Traditionally, whoever comes up with the new theme has a hell of a time writing anything. ;)

iavi

Scene & The Selfish
-------------------------

1. Kelah, and The Riverside Vigil of Her Own.

And yes, these are trying times, that’s something I can’t deny. He’s been trying to hide the fact all along. Oh, but his eyes! They signal the pain through his heart, the light at the start of the end--There’s no room left. There’s no room left! There’s not an ounce in his heart left for me!

Happy? You selfish bitch! You… You made it come to this! Is this what you wished for? Now is this what you wished for?

Cause we’re here casting your ashes, to the river’s wind. The sun is out and strong. But your cloud… it resembles the grey, the clouds of this day; the storm that’ll torment his heart for too long.

Is it so wrong? Is it so wrong that I… I just can’t feel the same? You went and killed the game. You killed it when you reached for the gun. You blew out the fun. So hear me say this, Tessidora: You’re dead, and “You’ve won…”

You’re dead. And, still, “You’ve won…”

2. Sydney Speaks…

“I must say a firm thank you to all of you who took the time to show up today. Tess, she truly appreciates it, I’m sure. But in that same vein, I must also apologize in advance. You’ve all gathered out here today to hear a heart wrenching account of her life, I’m also sure, but I… I have nothing to say to you specifically. Selfishly, my words, the few they may be, are to Tessidora herself, as I’m sure she can hear me.

"And Tess, I’m going to ask the same of you—forgive me, please? …My eyes they could see everything: your smile, your uncaring nature, your façade... But I myself? I saw nothing. I couldn’t… I couldn’t see that you were struggling. I couldn’t see that time hadn’t been as good to you as I was led to believe only a few days ago. I couldn’t at all begin to see that you had not one person here to give your trust to. How could I? How could I, when you wouldn’t even give me the fucking chance to, Tess?"

"No… Don’t answer that. "

"Let me guess… I was supposed to read between the lines right? Fuck that! You of all people would know that I’ve never been too good at that shit. And you of all people should also know that, as bad as I am at that, I’d actually be able to see past your performance at times. I’d actually be able to see you, Tess... What would happen when I actually did that though? What would you do? You’d smile that ever convincing smile of yours. You… Were the eighteen years that we've known each other just not enough? Cause you would fucking smile, and speak as if nothing was really wrong at all. How… Tess... How the fuck was I supposed to decipher that

-------------------

(491 Words)

“So through here is the reconstruction wing, where the technicians try to salvage meaningful information from the fried storage devices and fragments of books. It's the heart of our organisation, if you like.” The room they had just entered was easily large enough to house a thousand people. It was far taller than anything he'd ever seen before, and had a large, partially rusted emblem on the wall facing the entrance. Mike tugged on Sarah's hand lest they fall behind the rest of the tour group. The enthusiastic dark skinned man leading the way continued without skipping a beat. “Our mission here at IPK isn't just one of preservation, but restoration and reflection as well.”

“How much longer is this gonna take?” Sarah whispered.

“We only just got here,” Mike replied. The guide looked straight at him.

“Did you have a question, sir?” Mike turned his head to look at him.

“I uh, no, sorry.” Stealing the awkward moment before it had a chance to hang, another woman spoke up.

“Was society before really as bad as they say? In terms of racism, I mean.” The guide's cheery demeanour faded into a more sombre look.

“I'm afraid so,” he said. “Even though slavery was abolished in The United States during the 1950's, institutionalised racism remained prevalent up until the dark age.” He turned to one of the technicians who was working on some sort of improvised computer. “Cole, if you're not too busy could you bring up the encyclopaedia files?” The man nodded silently before hammering away at the keyboard for a few moments.

“Now, this is a direct quote from an encyclopaedia we partially recovered a few months back: 'Nigger is a term of endearment for the half-ape, sub-human invasive species devolved from chimpanzees who eat fried chicken, watermelons and collard greens, write noise about raping white women and stealing welfare checks from invalid grandmothers so they can pretend they bought those plastic spinning hubcaps they stole from other niggers to pimp out their stolen 1974 Cadillacs.'” The crowd gasped at the passage. “So again, to answer your question directly, yes. Did anybody else have anything to ask?” Mike raised his hand half heartedly into the air.

“Ah, you finally thought of something,” he said.

“Is there anything notable that has come out recently from the work being done here?” The guide lit up once more.

“Yes, as a matter of fact. We've been piecing together what this building was used for prior to its current role. Everybody knows this is the Un building, but what exactly was the Un?” He shuffled past a row of desks and beckoned the group to follow. He pointed to the rusted emblem at the end of the room. “This is some sort of logo, and we've found other examples of it that were in better condition. It's supposed to be a map of the world. When the building was first reoccupied, there were devices amongst the broken desks and such that we think were microphones. At the moment, we think that this was some sort of international debating club, where people from around the world would come to test their mettle.”

“Oh cool,” Mike said. “Do you know what the significance of the name is? It seems really short.”

“We're still working on that,” the man replied. “Anyway, we should move on to the next room.” Mike turned to walk, but realised Sarah wasn't with the group anymore. He turned just in time to see the entrance to the room shit behind her. He began moving to follow her back out.

Oh well, he thought. History can wait until next time.

Wasn't expecting to enter anything, then suddenly decided to make something a few hours ago.

I really hope people are familiar with Encyclopedia Dramatica. I might get banned otherwise!

Tangent

Timedog said:
Reading Haruki Murakami gives me so many ideas...that I promptly forget once I get home.

Huh! Interesting. It's cool how a one-word prompt can be interpreted in so many ways. That's what makes reading all these entries so much fun.

Edit: oops, sorry for not collapsing my threads. :p

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A Day in the Life of a Young Businessman
(1650 words)

Ludwig was a man too proud to earn a living, and too poor to live without earning. So he did what any entrepreneurial person would have done: he went into business for himself. He was selling alcohol and cigarettes to minors.

One afternoon in late spring Ludwig was enjoying a cup of coffee on the terrace of a cafe near a supermarket. He lit a cigarette, and with a smile of satisfaction he observed the bustle of the waiting staff hurrying to and fro in their unceasing service of the patrons. Ludwig had learnt one of the great truths of life at a very early age: the pleasure of idleness comes not from idleness itself, but from seeing others work.

As he took a sip of the hot sugary goodness he saw over the rim of the cup three teens approach his table, fidgeting nervously.

“Well, if it isn’t my favourite customers,” Ludwig said sunnily. “What’ll it be, fellas?”

The teens sat down at the table, and whispered their order.

“You know I’ll always come through, kids. Let’s see the money.”

One of the teens handed over a wad of cash, their parents’ hard-earned money, the movement conspicuous in its attempt at stealth. Ludwig grabbed the cash with a roll of his eyes.

“Bit light this time,” Ludwig said as he leafed the bills. “I noticed that weird kid isn’t with you, the one with all the piercings. Nothing for him, eh? Little somethin’ somethin’?”

The teens just sat there quietly, giving each other uncertain glances.

“Something I said?” Ludwig asked.

“Jake isn’t coming anymore,” one of the teens said. “He died last week.”

Ludwig stared at the teens through the haze of the cigarette dangling from his slightly parted lips. A nagging sensation at the back of his head told him to steer clear, but he could’t help himself.

“Was he sick or something?” he asked. “Oh well, you never know when it’s your time, as they say...”

“He wasn’t sick,” the teen said. “He fell from a roof.”

The warning voice in Ludwig’s head grew louder and louder, but like a gambler certain the next bet would pay off he soldiered on. Once more unto the breach:

“Oh, he was cleaning the roof? Parents really shouldn’t let kids do men’s jobs, talk about irresponsible...”

“It wasn’t at home,” the teen went on with admirable perseverance. “He fell from the roof of our school. We had been drinking, and he decided to climb...”

“So what?" snapped Ludwig, who was violently stubbing out his half-smoked cigarette in the tray. “Are you looking for a sympathy discount or something? It’s not my my fucking problem what you do with the shit...”

He noticed his raised voice had attracted the attention of some of the people around them, and managed to calm himself.

“We don’t...” the teen began hurriedly.

“Look, I don’t give a shit. I’ll just get your stuff. Go wait in my office, for Christ’s sake.”

In the supermarket Ludwig navigated the aisles he knew so well. Mentally he cursed the new store layout, as all tobacco products had been moved to the check-out, and you had to ask the clerks to give them to you. Some people apparently felt it was irresponsible to keep them in the view of children.

The liquor aisle at least remained as he remembered it from his childhood. All those beautiful bright bottles with their colours glowing in the weak light of the market he had seen his father buy still in perfect order on the shelves. If only all the bits and pieces of life could be neatly stacked on display, and taken down when needed; imported beer and casual sex on Tuesday, a cheap boxed wine and a broken heart on Saturday.

Naturally he always bought the cheapest beer he could find for his clients. Not that they could tell the difference, the poor bastards. Tough guys that they were, they probably thought the more it tasted like piss, the better.

It’s not like I’m selling drugs or anything. I’ve drank since I was 13 and I didn’t go falling from any roofs. And what about them, trying to guilt trip me? Their best friend just died less than a week ago, and they’re already out scoring some more booze.

He inspected the label of a long-necked bottle of foreign beer.

But then again, if my best friend had just died, I guess I’d want to be drunk too.

After the day’s selections were made, he made his way to the check-out. He saw a young woman his age at the register.

Oh Christ. Not her again. Why do I come to a supermarket when there is always only was check-out open?

He placed the liquid load on the conveyor belt and received an incredulous smile from the girl.

“Long weekend?” She laughed.

“Yeah, and I’ll, uh, also have ten of those red Marlboros.”

“You didn’t smoke that much in school.”

“Oh you know, it’s always better to have too much than not enough. And if there’s any left over, I’ll just sell them to some kids.”

“Real funny,” the girl said with a smile. “Did you hear that some kid fell from the roof of our old school? Drunk.”

“Heard something about that, yeah. Thanks.”

It’s been years since high school and she’s still stuck behind that check-out counter. You’d think she would maybe try to do something with her life one of these days.

Outside Ludwig met the teen trio behind a corner, shielded from prying eyes by the store’s enormous green dumpsters. As he handed over the plastic bag of contraband to one of them, he quickly grabbed the teen’s arm and pulled him closer.

“Alright, shitheads, listen up,” he hissed through his teeth. “If you peep one word about any of this to anyone, I swear to God I will shove those cartons so deep up your asses your bowels will get lung cancer. Do you understand me? Now get the hell out of here.”

After another set of customers left his office satisfied, albeit rather unsettled, Ludwig leaned against the red brick wall of the building and lit a cigarette.

“Bowels get lung cancer?” he muttered, rubbing his temples. “Lord have mercy.”

He walked to his car and sat in silence in the driver’s seat for a moment. He took a quick look at the clock on the dashboard. 2.47 PM. Too early to go home. He checked his cell phone. No messages.

“Ah, fuck it,” he said and started the engine.

Soon he parked his car under the shade of some trees on a nearly empty parking lot, and began walking towards a large yellow brick building. His old high school.

Christ, I sure haven’t gotten far. I always thought I’d at least be on another continent by now.

He saw a pile of flowers surrounded by candles by one of the walls, the spot he had heard so much about lately, the spot where one of his young clients had taken his last breath.

Just a cake and it’d be a party. Are those forget-me-nots? Are those used as mourning flowers? Hard to believe this is the spot I walked by every day for three years. Well, four years, and more like twice a week, but this is no time to get pedantic.

“Ludwig, wasn’t it?”

Ludwig turned around and saw an old man; his old history teacher.

“I thought it was you, Ludwig,” the old man said, demonstrating the nigh-supernatural ability common to all teachers to remember all of their old students’ names. “So you heard about what happened here.”

“Yeah, I just drove past here and had to stop.”

“It is tragic,” the teachers said. “He was a good student.”

What, Piercings? Really?

“Yeah, parents really should pay more attention to what their kids do,” Ludwig said with aplomb. “I imagine he stole the booze from his folks.”

“Usually they find someone slightly older to buy it for them,” the teacher said. “They like to appear cool for the younger kids.”

Ludwig didn’t answer, but just stared at the flowers and the extinguished candles as he felt the teacher’s eyes on his profile.

“I was just leaving,” said the teacher. “I’ll leave you alone. Take care of yourself, Ludwig.”

“I will,” said Ludwig without looking at him. “Thanks, Mr. Robert.”

After the teacher left, and Ludwig had heard the distant sound of his car pulling out, he broke his eye contact with the small shrine of the departed student, and walked back to his car.

A short drive later he pulled over in the driveway of an idyllic suburban home. As he let himself in, he heard a female voice call out:

“Luddy, is that you?”

“Yeah, mom,” Ludwig answered. “Short day.”

He went upstairs into his room, and from the drawer of his night table produced a metal box. He unlocked it, and within was a pile of cash, and under the lid was taped a postcard with an aerial view of some lush green island in a sea of blue; a nameless tropical paradise.

His newest earnings secured, he collapsed on the bed with his hands interwoven behind his head. As he laid there staring at the ceiling, he did not know how he felt. He didn’t know was he tired or was he hungry. He didn’t know would the world seem the same or different the next time he would wake up, and he did not know which would be worse. All he knew was that it would go on, until he died.

Tangent

"A Miracle" (1,009 words)

Jesus casually began jogging over to pay a visit to a man with paralysis in Bethesda after giving two blind men vision at Galilee. Those two formerly blind men were so exuberant but Jesus didn’t know what the big deal was.

“Well I suppose it must be exciting to see for the first time,” thought Jesus. “But then again, I don’t see how expanding sensory knowledge would be exciting to them. These humans have such limited insight. If they had the greater knowledge and vision of the Father’s plan of the Universe, I imagine they’d be overwhelmed and burdened.

As he jogged, he noticed his shadow growing longer. He picked up his pace, but still didn’t feel rushed, since time was only limited when understood as a human concept. At his faster clip, he received an acute whiff of the dry air of Bethesda and knew he was nearing the paralytic man he wanted to meet.

Reflecting on the smell of stagnant air, he again wondered about the human perception of the world. “Man, good thing humans don’t have two noses like most mammals. Considering how frantic these humans are, I don’t think they could handle that much sensory input. We’ll leave it to the dogs to sniff out cancer a couple thousand years from now.”

As he neared a large building, Jesus slowed and caught his breath. It felt good to feel so alive by using human lungs and to feel the Earth the Father made underneath his feet. He put his hands to his hips and looked around and smiled. Bethesda was a pretty sweet place. Casually, Jesus wiped a bit of sweat off his forehead. Wait a minute. What was this? Overheating? Fatigue? Jesus wondered if the human side of his personality was coming out. That was always fun in the beginning – to feel human – but he could lean on no one’s shoulder when it came to venting about what it was like to be schizophrenic, and to possess both sides of the coin: part man, part God.

“There he is! It’s Jesus from Nazareth! The Christ!” said a woman near a pool, pointing her finger beyond her long, draped clothing. Other crippled and disfigured people, also near the pool, peeked out between the cracks in the rock-layered wall and grew excited. At long last, perhaps all their waiting for miracles by the pool would come to fruition. One old man with stormy, sad eyes looked forlornly at the pool but clearly believed that he couldn’t step in. Bingo: the Paralytic.

Jesus quickly healed the paralyzed man and told him to walk. And so he did. Well duh. Take away human limitations and what do you have? The unlimited. It wasn’t a difficult equation. Nevertheless, a big crowd started forming so Jesus tried to lose himself in the crowd. He felt a little self-conscious being put on the spot. He hoped that these humans would learn what he was trying to teach: avoid self-pity, jealousy, fear, and hate, and live the life you’re supposed to live. Enjoy life and make it more enjoyable for others while you’re at it. He didn’t think it was too complicated but these humans were riled up all the time. Their amygdales were so keyed up, sucking up all the glucose supply for the entire brain, that it was like these humans just weren’t open to learn. It was like trying to teach trigonometry to a suicidal teenager.

But Jesus could relate. After all, having very sensitive taste buds, he really knew his wine. And he loved a good party with good booze. He remembered his wine from the wedding from a few days ago: there was only a bit of well water left and he didn’t want the night to end with just water. So he turned the water into wine. Although the people proclaimed his wine as the “best at the wedding,” he felt that he could have made a stronger wine. Between healing the sick, raising the dead, and continuing to create bounty from nature in other ways, he wanted to brew a stronger alcohol.

The Father had brought his Son to Earth, to experience life as a human, while still being God. Sure, it was fun to be have a dual identity, and provide an intimacy for these needy and untrusting, but oh-so cute humans. But Jesus never knew when one side of his personality would overshadow the other. The crowd by the pool in Bethesda started an uproar about the paralytic man. Was he really paralyzed to begin with? And where did the healer go? Why doesn’t he show himself and prove he could heal again? Why run off? What does he have to hide? Jesus could hear their condemnation echoing. But he had already dipped his hand into the pool, and sprinted off into a peaceful patch in the desert. Under the shade of some olive trees, he tried to switch things up.

Having turned his handful of pool water into grapes instead of immediately into wine, Jesus thought he’d slow down his problem-solving process. That’s what any math teacher would advise: show your work. Mumbling to himself, Jesus began his experiments. “Okay, now I’ll ferment these grapes into wine from barrels made out of those short, scrubby oaks I see off in the distance. Aw hell, maybe just in a barrel made out of these olive trees… maybe I’ll add mix two varieties of grapes…”

He worked until twilight. At long last, he created a wine glass out of some rocks glistening in the evening sun. Jesus poured himself a cup of his own red wine. He stirred a bit, took a sniff, and then, a sip.

“At long last! The perfect wine! Made out of filthy pool water! It’s a miracle! This must be stronger than Absinthe! 60% proof! I swear to God!” He lifted his glass up to the pink and purple sky. “Lord, life is GOOD!” proclaimed Jesus, before tipping over backwards, releasing a long and drawn-out belch, and passing out.

Cyan

Banned
Master Milk said:
Deadline when? Where the hell has this thread been? You guys need to chat in here more or something.
Every two weeks, like clockwork! You've got two and a half hours. Plenty of time! :p

Usually we do chat a bit more, guess we were all tired.

Working on mine now. Had absolutely nothing, then decided to come at it sideways after my sister made a suggestion. :)

iavi

Master Milk said:
Deadline when? Where the hell has this thread been? You guys need to chat in here more or something.
Yeah... Creative writing-GAF isn't too good about that.

Irish

Heh, when I know for a fact that I'm going to be writing something, I post all the time in here because I'm so awesome... Er... yeah.

Ashes

Banned
Wrong.
(1985)

A man embraced his unfaithful wife as the train they were on shuddered. She laughed; he faked a smile.

In the falling snow, under the cover of the musky night, they were making their way home. They were on the Dockland's Light Railway; a slow tram like thing which meandered atop a levitated platform in East London. Every time the door opened, and the cold air swept in, he would reach out his hand to try and catch the drifting snow flakes. A sprinkle or two landed on her hair, melting, when he chanced to stroke her curls. She breathed onto the window pane, then with her finger tips inked out a message professing love in the condensation made drawing board. She smiled again; he faked a laugh.

On the horizon, he could see the three tall sky scrapers dominating the classic Wharf skyline.

“How was work today?” he asked, nonchalantly out of daily habit, and not taking his gaze away from the world outside the moving train.

“Oh I didn't buy much actually,” she answered. It didn't matter that they were having two different conversations. “I did love the London Eye though. We should go sometime, together, we really should. You'd love it. Ja-”

She bit her lip. Had she said too much? Then, she wondered whether she cared still. “What do you think about marriage?”

He looked up. The topic had turned to an excitable one. It concerned the very subject he wanted to talk about. “What about marriage?”

“Oh, I love you hubby and all that,” she giggled. “But all this adultery in the papers recently got me thinking. Don't get me wrong. I will chop your balls off if you get any funny ideas,” she said sternly and truthfully. “But the institution of marriage thing.”

“Once upon a time you required it to be together.”

“But not any more though. Well, if either of us were religious or believed in the wizard in the sky, then maybe you do. But in our case: why did we get married? Why didn't we just carry on?”

Her husband touched his ring without her noticing this. “I think you said something like: let's not fuck around. Let's not be ephemeral, let's be something permanent.”

“Oh how unromantic. Was it that rational?” she asked, not recalling that conversation.

Indeed, they hadn't had that conversation. It was he that was filling in the gaps. “Did you not like your wedding day?”

“Of course I loved it. The big moment at least. No, I'm talking about the institution of marriage. Where you're locked into a long term contract.”

“Does that not appeal to you?”

“Well I guess that's the kind of relationship to have a child in. But, honey, let's be realistic; divorce rates being what they are, marriage is hardly a long term thing any more. And there are plenty of people that have marriage-less relationships for five, ten, twenty years, and beyond. So that argument is debase.”

He shrugged. “I don't understand what you are driving at.”

“I'm just saying I don't get the point of marriage any more.”

His heart sank. He wished that he could argue what he was feeling inside. He wished he was more eloquent at putting an argument together.

She looked away. She hated when he did that; hated when he didn't treat her as an equal; when he stopped arguing because he thought she wouldn't understand. She was more educated, and brought home the greater pay packet. And still, he had this way of making it seem like she was the lesser of the two. Why did he do that?

“You can have all the colours, the qualities, experiences of a married couple without being married. It's a lot cheaper, I'd say, provides greater equality, and allows more freedom,” she argued more passionately.

“You can't have the title though. The cross-cultural, societal recognition of being married,” he replied, as he eyed a man staring at his wife's legs. Then he looked at his own reflection. It was the figure of a man who had lived through a hundred winters.

“So you get married for society?”

He paused, taking a moment to reflect and adjust to the rhythm of a well expressed thought.“I like the idea, that you are my wife. Legally, spiritually, societally, culturally, we are together, and the entire world knows and understands the nature of our relationship without need for explanation. From a hotel receptionist, who sees just our name, to a tribal chief in the Amazon jungle. It's like a smile. It's the same everywhere. There's something to be said about the power of something so very basic. I can't explain why. I wish I was smart.”

“Smart enough to explain it in words that I can understand you mean,” she muttered.

“I'm not patronising you. I think you have a point. And I think you made your point better than I. You win and you don't even realise it.”

“I win! I win. Huh!”

“Don't sulk.”

“I'm not sulking.”

“I.. never mind,” he said. The realisation that he was in public had just smacked him in the eye.

In a fit of irritation, she got her phone out and texted her buddy. She let her husband know that she was going clubbing tonight.

“In this weather?” he asked. There was a time, when she would have asked if she could go out clubbing, or whether he wanted to do something together. Now, she just let him know that he had to cook his own dinner. There was also a time, when she would make sure to tell him, which girlfriend she was going out with. But that had long stopped. She often came home - not just boozed up and smelling like it- but also having lost her underwear somewhere. And then last Autumn, he had seen her at a local club snogging a stranger. And somehow being witness to the action in person, made the public kiss worse than the sex behind closed doors.

He'd suffered an existential crisis then; though he couldn't put a label to it. He knew that things could not carry on as they were, and knew what he was expected to do. But love, it made him weak, and he took a blade to his own masculinity, his right to be angry, his right to fairness, to not be cheated, in the hope that the spring would follow winter, and that she would come clean herself. Alas, in the meantime, it hurt, and he could not bury the tears in an unmarked grave, for the murdered always knew the crime committed against him. Following this, he withdrew from the light of emotion itself. It was as if he was locking himself away from the world. As if with each passing day he was walking down another step into the cellar.

She giggled like a school girl. “Okay maybe not. In fact I probably might just go to Gemma's house now. We might just watch sex and the city and get drunk on champagne or something. Don't worry, she has a lovely bed in the spare room. I'll be alright.”
She was taunting him. And it was an exhilarating feeling. She felt guilty afterwards, but the rush was a blinding experience.

More people got on at the next station, and the area around the door, which had been empty but for the two of them, was now packed. A man behind her shifted his weight. She felt a little disgusted by the man pushing himself against her. Her husband was looking out the window. He looked desolate. She felt sorry for him. Deep down, she still remembered that she had once loved him intensely. And that he was a good man. He wouldn't cheat on her or throw her out on the street.

She felt the stranger rub against her in a more deliberate way. Sensations ran their automated course in her own body, and she grew moist. Its the most natural thing in the world, she thought. She leaned away from her husband and pushed her self back onto the stranger's groin. The sound of the train filled her attention span. She then reached for the stranger's hands. And put them on her hips, so that he could rub against her better. She felt sexy, alive; her heart raced; but unlike the man behind her, whose feet were trembling from the adrenaline rush, she was in control. She wanted to bring his hands up to her breasts, but that was too risky. And in that moment of risk assessment, the guilt overwhelmed her. No, not here. Not now. She pushed the stranger away abruptly.

She moved in closer to her husband and, wrapping her hand around his waist, hugged him. He was angry... Or sad... She found it harder to tell these days. She moved in for a kiss; he made no effort to reciprocate, so she kissed his cheek, and leaned in closer. His hands lay still in his pocket. “What are you thinking?” she asked.

“A man tried to jump onto the track yesterday; I read in the paper.”

“Why? Suicide?”

“Yes. His wife had a car crash, and consequently forgot him.”

“Forgot him? Like through a concussion?”

“I don't know. They had a two year old child. She could remember the child, and where they lived. But she forget him.”

“Woh... What did he do?”

“Well, he tried to rekindle their romance. But you can't force these things; she really didn't know the person she was sleeping next to, she said, and wasn't attracted to him in the least bit. So he tried harder. Took her to all the places that meant something to them; showed her the wedding photos, honeymoon videos.... Nothing. She tried her best, and cried many a long night; she felt sorry for him, but he had to move into the spare bedroom. They separated a year later. Then she met somebody at work, and they clicked instantly; she fell head over heels for that guy, and is now engaged...."

"Hmm... "

"Story line’s wrong ain't it? But what can you do?”

She said nothing whilst she tried to absorb the story. They entered Canary Wharf station, and in an effort to change the subject she asked what the point of having stations that were a only hundred metres apart was.

“I don't know. But I best get off here, and get stuff for dinner.”

She motioned to join him, but he stopped her in her tracks.

“Where are you going? I thought you were going to your friend's house?”

“You're angry at me.”

“I'm not; seriously. I'm not doing this for you. Its me honestly. Go. Enjoy yourself.”

She grew angry at him but didn't say anything. Instead, she thought about the night ahead. In fact, she might just make it a 'girls' weekend.

The door opened and he stepped out. They locked eyes in an intensity that hadn't been there for a long time.

“Goodbye,” he said smiling.

“You can be a prick sometimes. You know. A right asshole.”

He paused for a moment. “Such is life eh?”

At the next station, her train was stopped by an announcement. There was a buzz in the air, as news filtered out. Somebody had tried to jump onto the tracks. It was only when she went down the stairs, to the street outside, that she suddenly froze with fear. She dropped her bags and ran for the station down the road. She could see a crowd gathered at the station. She pleaded with them to let her through. But she was a voiceless soul amongst the hullabaloo of the crowd. He was dead, they said. He was dead.

She finally found reason in her panicky state and called her husband's phone. He didn't pick up, and after four rings, it went to voice-mail.

Cyan

Banned
The Great Sugar Mountain (1125)

Jeremy tripped on the picnic table and fell over backward. SPLAT! "Aw man!" A small stack of watermelon slices lay juicy-side down in the dirt. He stood up and brushed himself off. His brothers were laughing at him, but Mom, reading her book, hadn't noticed the watermelon. He shoved the dirty slices out of sight with this foot, grabbed a clean slice and the frisbee, and ran back out to his brothers.

And when the picnic things were tidied and put back in the van, no one noticed the pile of abandoned, uneaten watermelon, laying quiet and sad all alone.

Anthony waggled his antennae and looked up. And up, and up. A vast expanse of pink, dotted with specks of brown and black, lay above him. High atop this pink-and-speckled mountain lay fields of dark green. The whole thing all but reeked of sugary sweetness.

Food!

Anthony didn't even hesitate. He might be on a mission to spy out red ant activity, but some things had to take priority. The Sergeant would understand--he encouraged initiative.

Radcliff peered through his field glasses at the distant mound of pink. It almost looked like--he refocused the field glasses, and gasped. It was! He widened his mandibles in a smile. He had seen such a thing once, as a callow youth, a mere footsoldier for Her Glorious Majesty. He had not tasted of the thing, the sugar mountain, as he had not been deemed worthy. But this time--oh yes, this time he would!

He puffed out his thorax and admired the medals thereon. Yes, a Major General would certainly get a taste. But if--oh if of ifs!--if he could lay claim to the whole thing himself, in Her Majesty's name?

"Ahahaha," he muttered to himself. "I smell a Red Royal Cross."

From her perch high in the juniper tree, Bea smiled.

Anthony froze in place. He was perhaps a quarter of the way up the great sugary mountain, and he had just spotted movement around a corner.

Suspiciously red movement.

Damn it, damn it! He was on a spying mission. He wasn't outfitted for combat, only for sneaking around and remaining unseen. His claws itched for a flamethrower, or even the small pistol the Sergeant had forced him to leave in the armory ("You'd be too tempted to use it, son! Stealth's the word.").

He allowed a single shiver to pass from his head to his abdomen, then took firm hold of himself. He didn't need weapons. The Sarge was right--weapons were for when stealth failed. He stepped forward softly and carefully, pulled his antennae back, and passed the edge of one eye around the corner.

Smoothly, quickly, without sudden movement, he drew back. Damn it!

A damned red!

An abyss yawned before Radcliff's feet. He sniffed. There was no time for this sort of nonsense. "The old-fashioned way, I suppose," he muttered. He shifted his aching exoskeleton and sighed. Time for a bit of youthful clambering.

As he lowered himself to the edge, something nagged at the edge of his attention. He paused. One did not survive nearly a full span in Her Majesty's service without learning to pay attention to the small things. A moment's attention, then.

He scanned the area, not obviously, but as though he were looking off into the distance. There was... something. A vibration in the sugary surface, a foreign pheromene on the air.

Radcliff flexed his mandibles, thinking. He oughtn't to have come unarmed, that was certain. He had allowed himself to be blinded into thoughtlessness by the idea of personal glory. Speed over preparation. He shook his head. An ant as old as he ought to know better.

Still, as Sun Antzu had said, better to strike first than allow the enemy to do so. He stood straight and tall, puffed out his thorax, and proclaimed in his best field-sergeant bellow, "I lay claim to this land, in the name of Her Glorious Majesty, Long May She Reign, etcetera and so forth, Queen Scarlett!"

Anthony had seen enough. He needed reinforcements. Going up against that monster of a red without help? Stupid. If he could get to the rendezvous quickly, before the red brought reinforcements of his own, the colony could send troops. All of the troops, and get them entrenched before it came to a fight. Quickly! No--calm, calm. There was still time.

From behind him, the red shouted. "I claim this land in the name of Her Glorious Majesty Queen Scarlett!"

Anthony saw red.

Without time for higher brain function, without time for anything but the flaming hot rage that blazed up in him like a matchstick, Anthony turned and charged around the corner, straight for the monstrous red. As he charged, he roared the ancestral battle cry of the black garden ant.

"Better dead than red!"

Radcliff spun at the shout, though he should have been expecting it. A tiny black garden ant, perhaps half his size, was charging straight for him. A mere Lasius niger, how droll.

Radcliff smiled, stepped sideways from the abyss and lowered his body to receive the charge. Old he might be, but he could still defeat a single Lasius in claw-to-claw combat.

The red reached for him, but Anthony wasn't about to go claw-to-claw with that monster. At the last moment, he changed his charge into a slide, his momentum carrying him beneath the red's thorax. He latched onto one of the middle legs and held on tight.

The red bellowed in shock and pain. He whipped from side to side, trying to dislodge Anthony, but Anthony gritted his mandibles and held tighter.

Now, the heat of anger gone, holding on for dear life, Anthony felt fear. If the red dislodged him, he'd be killed. If he relaxed for one instant, he'd be dislodged. He simply had to hold on until... until what?

Radcliff's leg was in terrible pain, the damned Lasius gnawing at it. If he could just reach him! But try as he might, he couldn't get a grip, couldn't stop the horrible gnawing.

His eyes stung and his mandibles opened and closed convulsively. He dashed his body to one side, then the other. The pink sugary surface didn't offer enough grip. Nor could he scrape the Lasius off against the surface.

He dashed his body to the left again. The Lasius only clung tighter; the pain intensified. Radcliff cried out.

There was only one thing to be done.

"For Her Majesty," he gritted out, and flung them both into the abyss.

Two forms wrapped together, a small black one and a large red one. As though one creature of two colors, they fell from on high, twisting and turning in the air so that one color was on top, then the other.

And then they met the ground, and neither moved.

"I claim this land for the Hive," Bea said, and planted her stinger.

AnkitT

You come home every night, order food from the same place. Deep dish pizzas, perhaps extra pepperoni to liven it up. The leaky faucet reminds you of how you cowered out from confronting the landlord for the umpteenth time. Yet you pay the rent in full every month. Hell, you even lent him some money a couple of months back, which, of course, you didn’t even have the galls to ask back under the veneer of social convention. There is laundry to be done! You keep on wearing the same dirty clothes to your office every other day, and your colleagues don’t remark on it under the same oath of social nicety. How can someone call you out on it, when you don’t ever go out for anything? You even order your groceries over the phone. Doesn’t matter anyways.

You contemplate the infiniteness of it all. You read Nietzsche, you consider nihilism. You read Sartre, and try to wrap your head around nothingness. You read Kant; you examine your own knowledge. You read Socrates, and you know that you know nothing. You become humbled by it. You are being crushed by it. No one else seems to carry the same burden. Or maybe they hide it as well as you do.

Your talents are wasted. You drink and smoke to purge the acquired philosophical thoughts. You try to reduce yourself back to the apathetic standard. Moral relativism isn’t helping you at your accounting desk job. You scourge every resource. You know that you will not make a great person. You know you will not be remembered by anyone past your immediate family, most of whom are already dead. You try to turn to God, knowing he is not there. You go back to when you were ten, and your grandmother told you tales about fantastical things. Her words alien to you now. How you wish you could hear her again, just for the coddled comfort of it.

For all the knowledge that you have in your half hemorrhaged brain, you have only the literal road not taken to show. The paths you did not choose define you. What if you had chosen your dream job when you were young? Why did you drop learning French? Why haven’t you called your brother in 20 years? Your brother, with whom you spent the best of your childhood. Gone.

Your wrinkles are supposed to remind you of something important. You cry, but forget what for. You can no longer claim ownership of your own knowledge. You forget how to play the piano. You get angered at yourself for not remembering where the medicine is kept. You see blurred faces, but you can’t put names to them. Your brother reduced to a memory of a rainbow ball. Your parents, you cannot recall. They promised you bliss in old age.

Ashes

Banned
Just wanted it to let you know that the new poetry thread is . That is all. You can now resume your normal conversations.

bengraven

What the hell, it's already over? I thought this was a new post. I haven't been able to write much lately due to family and friend things. Maybe next time.

Ashes

Banned
Crits

Miri - I tried to engage with it but it felt a little beyond me.
ThoseDeafMutes - Interesting, if a little too short.

Pack of pansies up in this thread. What's with this lack of talk and entries in this the 75th thread of our group? :p

1) Ashes
2) JD
3) Cyangent

HM: Tyangent

-----------------------------

Miri: There’s enough here to let the reader piece together a story, but there’s not enough to make us really care. Kelah’s section is a bit melodramatic, and Sydney’s cliché. The emotion in the scene resonates, but it needed more time to grow and build into something truly unique and truly your own.

Science!:This is more of an idea than a story, and as an idea, it was a good one. It makes me think of a Fallout like universe, except society misinterpreted the history. However, this piece needed to be bigger. We never got to really even meet the characters. We know that Mike is a guy that likes history, and Sarah is a girl who doesn’t. That’s it. As it stands, them having names, having some character, adds very little to the piece.

Czar: At the beginning of the story, I think you need to give the reader two things. First, tell us that Will likes Blake’s girl. That way the reader is looking at the conversation with the same intensity Will has. Second, give her a character, give her a name, give her a reason that Will should like her. That way the reader understands why Allie’s not good enough. And in the last paragraph, make it obvious when Will switches from looking for Allie to thinking about the girl. It’ll make the ending read that much better.

JD: This piece was held back by the theme. Ludwig cares about. You show it when he’s thinking about the girl. You show it when he visits his school. You even imply that he bought those boys a foreign beer. But the theme was insignificance, and I feel that theme is what caused there to be moments when a deeply introspective piece became not so introspective. I think there’s a lot to work with in this piece, starting first with how Ludwig handled the news. His actions weren’t out of character, but his thoughts felt crisp, terse, and lacked the feeling that this was a caring character that was forcing himself to behave that way.

Tyangent: Oooo. How blasphemous. :p This piece was a lot of fun, but I think it needed to be longer. Show the MPD, like you show the godhood. Show us the disciples. Party it up at the last supper, go all out with Judas and Paul. And just slow the pace a little so that the reader doesn’t feel rushed. Keep it just as calm and mellow as our lord and savior, Party Christ.

Ashes: The worst thing you can do to someone is take away their significance. I’ll parrot Ronito and say that I don’t feel that the suicide made this piece stronger. And yet, it doesn’t feel wrong. Not for the characters involved. She needed the shock, and he needed rest. A powerful story. But for the love of all that’s readable, give me some spaces.

Cyangent: I think the Tangent personality is starting to bleed through. Fun story. A lot of great imagery and writing, but I wish you’d made Bea a little more a part of the story.

Ankit: It’s a bit cheesy, a bit melodramatic, but it’s still powerful. Especially to a 27 year old worried that he’s going to make nothing of his life.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Oops, since there was so few entries and I had tons of free time I was planning on doing crits and all, but I completely forgot. Just finished reading and it's already 1 AM here, so just votes for now:

1. Ashes1396
2. Tangent
3. ThoseDeafMutes
HM: Cyan

By the way, will OT be closing for E3?

Cyan

Banned
Miri - "Scene & The Selfish" - I tried reading between the lines, but still didn't really get it.

ThoseDeafMutes - "Napoleon's Laundry" - Cool premise, but this feels more like the beginning of a story than a complete one.

CzarTim - "Wondering" - The sun's uncontested nudity, that's awesome. Wouldn't mind a little more clarity on his relationships with Allie and mystery girl.

John Dunbar - "A Day in the Life of a Young Businessman" - I dunno... the kid dying because he was drunk just feels too pat. Ludwig's response is right on, though.

Tangent - "A Miracle" - The Church of Christ, Cognitive Scientist? Jesus as a schizophrenic is a pretty funny notion.

Ashes1396 - "Wrong" - Feels complete and lived-in. Ending was almost too easy. Might've actually been more interesting if he'd picked up the phone, and after the rush of emotion she was motivated to change something about the status quo.

AnkitT - "You are already dead" - Hate the title, love the piece. Very nicely done.

Votes:
1. AnkitT - "You are already dead"
2. Ashes1396 - "Wrong"
3. John Dunbar - "A Day in the Life of a Young Businessman"

Ashes

Banned
E3 week thread, eh?

Crits

ThoseDeafMutes - Interesting, if a little too short.
CzarTim - Good in parts; wish the 'whole' was all the more clearer.
John Dunbar - Nice work; ending is right, but worded awkwardly.
Tangent - When I usually say you were trying to be funny, you usually say that you weren't so I don't really know how to crit this.. :/ It was okay I guess.
Ashes1396 - Wrong.
Cyan - Nice. Although I don't get why he panicked when he got to the point of his job, i.e. the spying of enemy troops. The first initial reaction I mean. Surely, when he actually sees an enemy, first reaction is to note it down, and then to scarper, or engage.
AnkitT - It had a very nice flow to it. Poetry thread practise ftw!

Overall.

Half-decent effort this week, considering it was pre-e3 week. I think we can all do a lot better though.
The one week I wrote my piece on the ipad, is the one week everybody else seemed to have really taken on writing in a good sparse style. That's the way forward, especially on the internet I think.

1. J.D
2. AnkitT
3. CzarTim

Best get this in before E3 - and Super Mario World 3 and Earthbound HD and Snatcher 2 and Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake and Half-Life 3 - drops, yo.

1) AnkitT - My favourite piece of yours so far. I know that feel, bro. Also, I'm starting to appreciate the aesthetic of flash fiction.
2) Ashes - Another piece up there in terms of favourite status. You have a good eye for integrating powerful themes into your narratives.
3) Johnny D - Some real flaws, but this piece has some equally real potential.

HM: Cyan-Tangent; same person anyway, right?

Ashes

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Ashes: The worst thing you can do to someone is take away their significance. I’ll parrot Ronito and say that I don’t feel that the suicide made this piece stronger. And yet, it doesn’t feel wrong. Not for the characters involved. She needed the shock, and he needed rest. A powerful story. But for the love of all that’s readable, give me some spaces.

I wrote it on the ipad; I didn't really think it was hard to read till I read your comment. A quick look now on pc: woh! sorry folks... :p

Cyan said:
Ashes1396 - "Wrong" - Feels complete and lived-in. Ending was almost too easy. Might've actually been more interesting if he'd picked up the phone, and after the rush of emotion she was motivated to change something about the status quo.

Its more open to interpretation this way.
Everyone seems awfully sure that MC was the one who committed the sucide.
< And this isn't neccessarily the case. Interpret it, as you wish...

iavi

Ashes1396 said:
Crits

Cyan said:
Miri - "Scene & The Selfish" - I tried reading between the lines, but still didn't really get it.

Aw, shit, the clarity isn't there, huh? A complete and noted failure then. I'll be working on that.

I'm gonna get reading here.

CzarTim

You are already dead (AnkitT) - I hate hate hate second person. I roll my eyes every time I see it used. So I really hate you for making this too good to dislike. Great job.

The Great Sugar Mountain (Cyan) - Great job putting everything together. Fun read.

A Miracle (Tangent) - At first I thought it reminded me of Jorge Luis Borges’s “The Gospel According to Mark,” but by the end I realized it was more this comic. It wasn't bad, but I felt like you piece last week was much better.

Scene & The Selfish (Miri) - Bit confusing.

A Day in the Life of a Young Businessman (JD) - Absolutely loved this story. Nearly perfect.

Napoleon's Laundry (TDM) - I liked it, but it didn't blow me away.

Wrong (Ashes) - First off, the story was a bit hard to read because of the format. Need a space between those paragraphs. The content of the story was great though.

-----------------------

My Votes:

1) A Day in the Life of a Young Businessman (JD)
2) You are already dead (AnkitT)
3) Wrong (Ashes)

HM: Cyan

iavi

Crits

ThoseDeafMutes – A very solid start to a very solid concept. It just didn’t go anywhere. Your scene creation, and dialogue are great.

CzarTim – Extremely strong writing. Strong character. There wasn’t enough to it though.

JohnDunbar –The piece felt a bit stilted, coming in snippets even, but the content was damn awesome.

Tangent – Your style seems to be pretty consistent in this thread, and consistently charming. I’m jealous. Though, in this case, I’d say your usual dose of style worked against you. You took an incredibly awesome idea, and didn’t really fully expand upon the potential it had, instead opting to skate on the surface with silliness. That’s just me though. It’s an incredibly fun read.

Ashes- your formatting is giving me a damn headache, man. Anyways, I hit a weird quagmire with your piece; your characterization was pretty strong, but your dialogue felt way too studied—unnatural. The actual ending felt tacked on too. You did an apt job of theme conveyance with their conversation, imo.

Cyan- I was wondering what everybody meant when they said Tangent was leaking into your writing, I now see what they mean, ahaha. This was fun. Writing was strong. And the theme was represented well. I can’t… yeah, I can’t think of any negatives. I don’t feel all that particularly attached to it, but I can’t seem to think up any negatives.

Ankit—Yes, man. Yes. I have to agree with Ashes, poetry thread practice has done you wonders. Your writing over there has always had a fierceness to it that’s almost impossible to love, however you just seem to have a hard time getting outside of that comfort zone and framing a complete idea. This one however is… completely in your comfort zone, haha. But it keeps to that strength in your writing, and the idea is not only complete, but presented impeccably. Love it.

1. Ankit
2. JD
3. Tangent

Hm: Ashes, Cyan, ThoseDeafmutes

Ashes

Banned
Miri said:
Ashes- your formatting is giving me a damn headache, man. Anyways, I hit a weird quagmire with your piece; your characterization was pretty strong, but your dialogue felt way too studied—unnatural. The actual ending felt tacked on too. You did an apt job of theme conveyance with their conversation, imo.

Fair enough. Effed up the formatting through sheer lazyness.

One thing though, I started from the ending and worked my way back. What I mean is that the ending wasn't tacked on, it was inevitable.

Tangent

Miri: This has a lot of passion and I think you're good at reliving a slice, or a moment, but I had difficulty following without a bit of background leading up to the 1st part.

ThoseDeafMutes: This story was very engaging and it was a really creative idea with a lot to think about but for me, I think it would have worked better as the start of a longer novel or novella or something -- especially in terms of the thoughtfulness that I think it could provide as a longer piece. The ending left me hanging. But I liked the typo of the "entrance to the room shit behind her" rather than "shut behind her"! :) Great start to a bigger project!

CzarTim: The last two-thirds of this story were more engaging for me than the 1st one-third. The very last bit, (the last 6 paragraphs) were most engaging. I like how you describe things such as "the sun was capitalizing on its uncontested nudity." I think if the 1st bit of your story was somehow made more concise and led up to the last bit of this story, it'd be even more of a solid piece.

JohnDunbar: What I liked most about this story were the memorable lines like the 1st paragraph and the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph, and the final paragraph, that practically left me with goosebumps. This was a very strong piece. Trying to think of something to improve on, I wonder if his responses to the kids that lost their friend could have been polished up a bit... they seemed a little predictable with Ludwig's impatience, etc. But, this dialog suggestion is a very minor thing.

Ashes1396: This was so sad! It made me really feel for the husband in the relationship. Perhaps what might have made it stronger is to make it so that me, as the reader, feels more conflicted in terms of who I'm rooting for... like if maybe the wife didn't seem like AS much of a bad guy, and if somehow, the reader could empathize with her more, in addition to the husband. But she just seemed like a true-and-true antagonist.

Cyan: What's really funny is that I could see myself writing something like this! It's SO WEIRD! But anyway, this was a really fun story -- I could see it working well as a short film or something with all the fast-paced action. It was a little hard for me to keep up with all the names, but I think that's just me. I'm like that with EVERY story I read with a lot of names.

AnkitT: Ankit, you've had some pretty seriously heavyhearted stories lately! I hope everything is OK offline! But, if you're just creating a story for story's sake, then all is good, and this was an engaging read from the get-go.

---------------
Very hard to vote -- lots of really fun, sharp pieces -- I rotated all of you through all places as I working through how to vote.... :p

Votes:
1. Ashes
2. Ankit
3. JohnDunbar
HM: pointless to include, since as I said it was hard to vote, so I'd say all of you would fit in this line.

CzarTim said:
You are already dead (AnkitT) - I hate hate hate second person. I roll my eyes every time I see it used. So I really hate you for making this too good to dislike. Great job.

A Miracle (Tangent) - At first I thought it reminded me of Jorge Luis Borges’s “The Gospel According to Mark,” but by the end I realized it was more this comic. It wasn't bad, but I felt like you piece last week was much better.

I'm curious to know why you hate second person. I guess I was wondering cuz I don't have a strong opinion on this matter. I do agree with you though: I think it worked very well for AnkitT's piece -- as if he was speaking directly to the speaker.

Ha! Nice comic! And I just downloaded Jorge Luis Borges’s “The Gospel According to Mark” so I'll have more of a sense of what you're talking about. Good to know what sort of piece is preferred. Thanks for the crit!

AnkitT

Miri - I think I got the central point to it, but it feels cryptic on the details.

ThoseDeafMutes - Liked the concept and the atmosphere. Also, "He turned just in time to see the entrance to the room shit behind her" made me giggle.

CzarTim - Wonderful descriptions of scenes, a bit sparse on the relationships and the universe you set up.

John Dunbar - I like that the situation is presented in an "as is" manner. Loved the opening line!

Tangent - I'd like to think of Jesus as a guy you could have a beer with! Alcoholism aside, it was pretty light and fun to read.

Ashes1396 - Nice ending. The dialogue had a good flow to it, and the pacing was pretty good as well.

Cyan - I wish I could do lighthearted humour half as good as this!

Votes:

1.John Dunbar
2. Ashes1396
3. Cyan
HM. Tangent

Tangent said:
AnkitT: Ankit, you've had some pretty seriously heavyhearted stories lately! I hope everything is OK offline! But, if you're just creating a story for story's sake, then all is good, and this was an engaging read from the get-go.
Heh, everything is sunshine and rainbows! But the story did originate from my experiences of living a very isolated life for the past three years(college), it was sort of a letter to myself at the beginning, but I changed it into what I think my experiences might be in the future if that lifestyle were to continue. It is pretty much a half what if scenario.

Cyan

Banned
Tangent said:
Cyan: What's really funny is that I could see myself writing something like this! It's SO WEIRD!
Hehe. The conversation with my sister that inspired this, almost verbatim:

Me: This sucks. I have no ideas and nothing to write about.
Her: What's the topic?
Me: Insignificance.
Her: Bet I know what [Tangent]'s writing about.
Both: Bugs!

CzarTim

Tangent said:
I'm curious to know why you hate second person. I guess I was wondering cuz I don't have a strong opinion on this matter. I do agree with you though: I think it worked very well for AnkitT's piece -- as if he was speaking directly to the speaker.
You are already dead was a good example of using second person, but for the most part I find it unnecessarily gaudy. I find it hard to get into a piece that's talking at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom