• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown - Vanillaware's "Titillating" PS3/Vita Action RPG - $29.99 On Either

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Take Out Bandit said:
I love watching people squirm over overt sexuality in games.

If you want the medium to be viewed as art you need to take the Russ Meyers with the Krzysztof Kieslowski of the medium.

I'm not squirming, but I am laughing at how stupidly over the top this is.

Giolon

OMG....the Amazon and the Sorceress....I have no words. My brain is running in two completely different directions right now.

Even though I don't like brawlers very much, I'll probably still buy for the Vanillaware art.

_Isaac

Kaijima said:
You play Vanillaware games for the Vanillaware.

If the art wasn't EXTREEEME fantasy with whacked out proportions and intentionally ludicrous overkill in the designs, it wouldn't be the same.

Well you can do all that without having it look so similar.

I'm definitely interested in the game, but I liked the Odin Sphere character designs so much more. I hope they let players pick the same character- here comes the all elf brigade!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anyone else feel somewhat inadequate looking at the Dwarf's ridiculously toned body? How can I, your average male, ever hope to compare to those sorts of superficial physical standards?

xanavi

sykoex said:
Anyone else feel somewhat inadequate looking at the Dwarf's ridiculously toned body? How can I, your average male, ever hope to compare to those sorts of superficial physical standards?
I feel like anyone who feels that way has some serious issues with not only their self-consciousness but also their inability to differentiate between reality and -- oh, wait. I see what you're doing there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Male Mage, and the Elf girl, both look pretty... believeable. I like that each of the 6 characters is pretty much the most EXTREME version of the generic fantasy types, save for those 2.

And the Mage gives me serious vibes of D&D SOM's mage. The amazon chick looks like Tyrus from Golden Axe in insane muscle woman HD. This female sorceress looks rather similiar to the one from Grand Knight History...

Even though I am still without a PS3, I have to applaud the PSVita/PS3 relationship, in this case. Is the only reason this is being made, after all this time, due to the fact that you can basically call it a full console game, and a full portable game, rolled into one? If that is what was needed to get Japan to make more games like this, then congrats to Sony for finally doing it. (Nintendo's WiiU idea is somewhat like this, but without the true portability.) Maybe I'll actually finally wanna get the system (and this new Vita) by this game's release date...

Anyway, the aesthetic of this is similiar to how I feel about Skullgirls... the elements of over-sexualization are interesting by themselves, but I have to wonder if they help the audience more, or hinder it. In both cases, though, I can say these games are a true expression of the lead artists' vision, and that's pretty cool.

And for those who complain about this looking like Vanillaware's style... wha? Just like all 16 bit sprite games had a certain style they each owed to the artist working on their series? I think it's cool here that the "Main" characters have gotten to dip into design motifs that VanWare normally saves for their "boss" or "sub" characters. Any of these guys could have been bosses or PCs in previous "VanWare" games, all the way back to Princess Crown. It's great to see artist grow THEIR style across a variety of projects, and this is their first game to actually be in HD. It looks like Playable Concept Art!

Oh, and one last thing: YAY for large player characters! That's one think all the HD 2D games make me miss; the 'Large sprites are AWESOME!" trend from the 90s. It's great to really get a close look at your characters, and see all their details, which makes a lot of sense with the detail increase that HD resolutions bring.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
I'm not squirming, but I am laughing at how stupidly over the top this is.

I'm not sure how you can do anything but, the Sorceress' tits just flop around like water balloons any time she's doing something.

Don't people usually really enjoy these types of games? I don't know why we don't get bigger budget versions. Castle Crashers was really cool and Scott Pilgrim was pretty good too. X-men is a classic, how about some new games like that without the big head midget characters?

Wallach said:
I'm not sure how you can do anything but, the Sorceress' tits just flop around like water balloons any time she's doing something.

I think that's the point. Vanillaware likes going against the grain. People are using 3D models and backgrounds but they're staying with 2D sprites. People are trying to make more 'realistic' experiences even in the fantasy realm and they're trying to see how over the top they can go in terms of design, enemies, everything.

Lain

The dude that spotted this in that other thread has pretty good eyes.
Those screens have me salivating. Vanillaware games are always nice to look at, but this is on another level altogether (I have a weakness for sexy muscular women)!
It'll be mine, whenever the vita comes out and someone decides to release it in the west. Wow, reading more of the thread, it's coming out on PS3 and getting localized as well? Fuck it'll be mine day 1!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Ellis Kim said:
lol, I think only myself and one other person in the thread prefers the Elf archer over the other buxom beauties.

I also prefer her. Seems like the most fun to play, too.

LiK

Ellis Kim said:
lol, I think only myself and one other person in the thread prefers the Elf archer over the other buxom beauties.

i like her too, she's a cutie. kinda wish she showed some leg tho. ;)

LiK said:
i like her too, she's a cutie. kinda wish she showed some leg tho. ;)

vr3e3.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
*black man smirk*
lol wut

Off topic, but please tell me you're not black, or else you will perpetuate a stereotype I have about black males who grew up during the late 90's, and a seemingly odd correlation with DBZ's fanbase :|
kiryogi said:
That's the right amount of leg. That my friend is the beauty that is Zettai Ryouki,
haha

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Zettai Ryouiki is an interesting concept. I shall have to take it into consideration the next time I draw a female character. :>

Izayoi

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
I called her first!

LiK said:
?

*googles*

whoa.
Oh no, you guys have introduced him to something that will cause an inevitable spiral into the abyss.

You just ruined a life.

I hope you're happy.

kiryogi

Banned
Izayoi said:
I called her first!

Oh no, you guys have introduced him to something that will cause an inevitable spiral into the abyss.

You just ruined a life.

I hope you're happy.

AnimeGAF STRIKES :D

Looks like an awesome, updated Golden Axe. I just hope the gameplay delivers and is nothing like Odin Sphere, which is the only Vanillaware game I played and I thought the combat was fucking horrible.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
lol wut

Off topic, but please tell me you're not black, or else you will perpetuate a stereotype I have about black males who grew up during the late 90's, and a seemingly odd correlation with DBZ's fanbase :|
haha
LOL I need details on this, and I'm bi-racial.

Sword Familiar said:
She hung up on you.
LMFAO!!!!! I'm adding this one to my book.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The girls remind me of the Raijin fight from Muramasa.
And Ignition's prudery, as evidenced in their handling of that scene, makes it weird that they're localising this.

eXistor

Their games always look amazing, but I've never played one that was actually fun to play. Still very intruiging.

Top Bottom