• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Pooya

I just saw better pics of gameinformer article:

- Yusuke Matsui (FFXIII lead battle programmer) is now credited as Battle Director (Toshiro Tsuchida was XIII's battle director who quit the company earlier this year.)

- It says January 2012 for release date, likely placeholder since the official date is Early 2012, personally I don't think it will take till March this time.

- They have two exclusive shots too, one of them is Lightning and Bahamut, nothing new but the other one, I'm not sure what it is, new monster/enemy probably. looks different.

Gvaz said:
He means Hope. Snow is almost as bad as Hope and Vanille.

Nope.

Hope gets brownie points for almost killing off Snow and Vanille is physically incapable of talking at the end of the game.

miladesn said:
- Yusuke Matsui (FFXIII lead battle programmer) is now credited as Battle Director (Toshiro Tsuchida was XIII's battle director who quit the company earlier this year.)

Hmm.

Pooya

also that Lightning and Serah artwrok that you see behind the Kitase and Toriyama int eh OP; I can see more of it here on GI, specially the upper part of the city in the background looks o_o .

Gvaz

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Nope.

Hope gets brownie points for almost killing off Snow and Vanille is physically incapable of talking at the end of the game.

Hmm.
A good ending doesn't make a good game you know.

Despera

Banned
Andrefpvs said:
People probably already noticed this, but you now can earn Gil in addition to spoils in some battles. Should help with the grinding.
Yeah, only noticed that while watching Gamespot's live demo. [SCORE] was replaced with [GIL] in the battle results screen:

XIII-2
GItWd.jpg

XIII

qLMyb.jpg

Pooya

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...antasy-xiii-2-will-have-multiple-endings.aspx

there is this one too I missed it, I don't think it's posted here.

During an E3 2011 interview today, Final Fantasy XIII-2 director Motomu Toriyama revealed that the game will include multiple endings. The developer and I were discussing FF XIII-2’s apparent shift away from Snow and Serah’s love story to Serah’s search for her sister Lightning. Toriyama pointed out that the love story angle may not be going away completely, and that the player will be able to influence the game's conclusion.

“Earlier we were talking about choices and interactivity. Final Fantasy XIII-2 will have multiple endings for the first time in the history of the franchise,” said Toriyama. “That might have some connection with what we were talking about earlier with love stories. So the endings may have something to do with a love story. It could be a very grown up type of Final Fantasy.”

When I visited Square Enix in Japan for our exclusive preview of Final Fantasy XIII-2 in issue 219 of Game Informer, I spoke with Toriyama about his interest in BioWare’s storytelling methods, specifically the Mass Effect series. Did that game inspire this decision to add multiple endings to FF XIII-2?

>_>

Vamphuntr

Fimbulvetr said:
They had to add something to make up for Snow's annoying ass not being in the game.

So you think Mog will talk about being a hero and all that?

Kupo Kupo Cocoon popopopopopo Fal'cie kupo Hero Hero Kupopopo L'cie Kupo Cocoon.

Aeana

miladesn said:
Not Yuji Abe? Huh.

duckroll

miladesn said:
- They have two exclusive shots too, one of them is Lightning and Bahamut, nothing new but the other one, I'm not sure what it is, new monster/enemy probably. looks different.

Is it Lightning riding on Odin fighting Chaos Bahamut? Because Famitsu has a video on their site of the fight from E3.

Kalnos

Banned
The only thing that bothers me about FFXIII's soundtrack is the 'We will have fun' in the chocobo theme.

Not the Jazz one, the use of Jazz is the best thing about the soundtrack.

Pooya

About that monster, now that I'm looking it's looks like the husks in Mass effect, but bigger and it has some muscle. it has bolt looking things coming out of it's body and looks like it's in chains. Parts of it are glowing, orange color.

duckroll

miladesn said:
yeah, it's the QTE in the end.

Here's the video, not sure if it was already posted in the thread, it's at the bottom of the article: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201106/09044894.html

As for Matsui taking over as Battle Director, I think it could indicate that the changes/improvements to the battle system this time round are technical in nature, rather than general design changes. Stuff like AI behaviors, combat balance, various statistical tweaks, would all fall under the purview of the Battle Programmer in general for S-E RPGs.

In the past Katsuhisa Higuchi was behind many of the unique AI routines and the actual implementation and balance of the combat in games he served as Battle Programmer for, especially Xenogears and Chrono Cross. He was also similarly promoted to Battle Director for FFXI, before he left S-E.

Edit: Is the monster Atlas? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGkPFiTSvl0#t=6m55s

So, I take it that you'll switch between Lightning and Serah/Noel storylines?

I don't like the idea of just playing Noel as the main protagonist or having more screen time than Lightning. He looks like a Kingdom Hearts character!

Alex

XIII's soundtrack is so amazingly bland. There's only a handful of good standouts, most of which in very odd places during the game.

At least now it sounds like they have a battle theme that doesn't have a ramp up so long that the battles are usually over before it even starts really going.

Fimbulvetr said:
Nope.

Can't agree with that one. Besides Lightning, Hope is king douchebag of FFXIII.

Gvaz said:
A good ending doesn't make a good game you know.

I dunno how that applies considering XIII's ending.

miladesn said:

So their stories won't change at all?

Hohohoho!

miladesn said:
About that monster, now that I'm looking it's looks like the husks in Mass effect, but bigger and it has some muscle. it has bolt looking things coming out of it's body and looks like it's in chains. Parts of it are glowing, orange color.

Is it gigantic?

AlphaDragoon said:
Can't agree with that one. Besides Lightning, Hope is king douchebag of FFXIII.

Snow < Vanille < Hope < Light < Fang < Sazh

Sydle

Just now getting caught up on this...it looks terrible and I can't believe they kept the battle system AND added QTE's. I'm definitely out -- I hope it bombs and SE does a cleansing of their staff.

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/12/ffxiii_jump/

•The magazine has Japanese language screenshots (all the E3 shots, and the E3 trailer, were English)
•The magazine says that the name for the "Optima Change" system has been changed to the English version's "Paradigm Shift." This system lets you switch the roles/jobs of your party members instantly during battle.
•Development is currently 70% complete.

And that's all that's new as far as I can see. Famitsu and Dengeki are supposed to have reports on the game this week, so we can hopefully look forward to additional details.

Despera

Banned
Game Informer said:
Toriyama pointed out that the love story angle may not be going away completely, and that the player will be able to influence the game's conclusion.

“Earlier we were talking about choices and interactivity. Final Fantasy XIII-2 will have multiple endings for the first time in the history of the franchise,” said Toriyama. “That might have some connection with what we were talking about earlier with love stories. So the endings may have something to do with a love story. It could be a very grown up type of Final Fantasy.”
I'll believe it when I see it, Mr. Toriyama.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Are you implaying that RoF soundtrack is bland or bad? because that's not true either.
It's a pretty bland soundtrack with Battle to Pay the Debt a and b and probably Upper World and other world map songs being the only redemable parts. Even if Sakuraba only did like half the tracks the ost is still just as boring and typical as most of his stuff.

Chris R

Andrefpvs said:
People probably already noticed this, but you now can earn Gil in addition to spoils in some battles. Should help with the grinding.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Such a needed change.

Seda

matmanx1 said:
Tons of info in the updates. Very nice! Thanks!

Oh and, Lightning better not be dead. She's the best character in XIII!

She's not dead. Just in another dimension.....time.....place....or something.

Top Bottom