• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this here but the FF13 thread is closed @3@.
I need a link that details the info on the easy mode patch for FF13 and if it'll come to US/EU.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
miladesn said:
also you can save anywhere.

Whoa. Aside from the first (and probably the second) Final Fantasy game. Is this gonna be a first?

Fimbulvetr said:
What's that? You want Speed Racer? Why didn't you say so? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo

SE's biggest waste of CG money to date. I doubt we'll be getting any meaningful CG like in 9 and 10 anymore.

Her tits were pretty memorable, too bad such a shallow character was attached to them.
I actually thought that CGI was fucking insanely awesome, despite the fact I could barely tell what was going on in it.

At least it was an instance of S-E bringing Eidolons into an FMV, which we hadn't really seen to such a degree since IX.

ZephyrFate said:
I actually thought that CGI was fucking insanely awesome, despite the fact I could barely tell what was going on in it.

It was pretty at least, but not being able to tell what was going on was kinda my issue(also it was filled with superfluous stuff for the sake of it, like it was trying to attract people with shiny objects).

I think the scene with Shiva freezing that public center in Palumpolum is probably my least favorite though, if only for how contrived it is plot wise.

ZephyrFate said:
At least it was an instance of S-E bringing Eidolons into an FMV, which we hadn't really seen to such a degree since IX.

Would been nicer, if any of the Eidolons in XIII were as cool as non-transformer Alexander or Bahamut. Their fight in IX is simple and short yet it always gets me way more excited.

I'm trying to think of what my favorite FMV was in the game... I think I'm gonna go with the opening. It just makes Lightning look so totally badass, and gave me huge FFVII vibes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, I liked FFXIII's intro FMV and opening song.

Though the opening song sounded a bit "underwhelming" during the "peak" part, but it's not bad nonetheless.

Pooya

Aeana said:
So progression will still be through the Crystarium with slight changes, and monsters will progress through another system entirely. Hmm.

yeah, it's quite vague, they can't discuss it here.

Aeana

miladesn said:
yeah, it's quite vague, they can't discuss it here.
My Dutch isn't perfect but a lot of the answers sound pretty direct, leading me to think that they're paraphrased. Don't like that in interviews.
If the multiple composer thing is true, though, I'm hoping for a Hamauzu+Nakano killer combo.

Rpgmonkey

miladesn said:
also you can save anywhere.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

One reason among many why the SaGa series/The Last Remnant are awesome. If Versus's world is as expansive as claimed, I hope they follow and do this as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing through FFXIII right now and so far(Chapter 5) this is some of the dumbest shit I have ever witnessed from a jRPG.

XIII-2 has a LOT to fix for amends....or not. It has become very clear that Final Fantasy is barely recognizable anymore, as the premiere RPG franchise it once was. I personally feel no longer a member of the demographic this sort of thing is pawned to.

Also, how old is Serah? I mean Snow looks like her father in this cutscenes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Brandon F said:
Playing through FFXIII right now and so far(Chapter 5) this is some of the dumbest shit I have ever witnessed from a jRPG.

XIII-2 has a LOT to fix for amends....or not. It has become very clear that Final Fantasy is barely recognizable anymore, as the premiere RPG franchise it once was. I personally feel no longer a member of the demographic this sort of thing is pawned to.

Dude she's 18+. That totally makes it cool.

Droplet

Brandon F said:

She's 18.

Somehow she's 23 in the sequel but doesn't look like she's aged a day.

Pooya

She's now 23 years old actually!
edit: late.
captureesl1.jpg

Despera

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Personally, i felt nothing there... well at least for the kissing scene. Never saw the end of the game lol.
Kissing scene didn't do much for me. But the ending was something, alright.

Probably one of the best endings to a fantasy game ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Droplet said:
Somehow she's 23 in the sequel but doesn't look like she's aged a day.
No kidding!

ULTROS! said:
Man, FFX's kissing scene and ending scene were some of the most heartfelt/heartbreaking scenes I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWX8X1gCUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfa_H9MRbDU
OH GOD, your avatar. I'm sorry you lost. :/

FFX's ending made me bawl my eyes out when I was younger. I wonder if I'd feel the same now? Probably yes... that ending theme was something else.

miladesn said:
http://games.fok.nl/special/447833/1/1/100/e3-2011-interview-final-fantasy-xiii-2.html

these guys in their interview asked Kitase about composer and they've said more will be announced other than Hamauzu, it was kinda obvious.
Yes, it was. Figured that'd be the case. It was bothering me for a while. Though I doubt the other style is Nakano's. His is rather distinct as well... unless he arranges something and it turns out to be similar to Desperate Struggle.

So... they're still using the Crystarium (though there are some changes that they can't discuss at the moment), but the monsters level up another way.

They're using Serah to underscore the theme of family ties in this game, and because she played such an important role in FFXIII (she changed into a crystal and Lightning was trying to save her. In FFXIII-2 the world is upside down and Serah is looking for Lightning instead).

They introduced Noel (who has never been on Cocoon) and they want to use him as a main character because they want the game to be interesting and accessible to everyone, even if they haven't played FFXIII. (I'm guessing that it'll be similar to FFX's storytelling with Tidus constantly asking questions and everyone else explaining things to him.)

You can save anywhere. That's nice to hear.

With regards to the length: They don't know how for sure how many hours of cinematics the game will have, but the story will probably take around 40 hours to complete. But there's more to do this time around, and you can play it more than once for a different ending.

"Is there a New Game+": No, but we have something better and different in mind? (Hmm? I thought other interviews implied otherwise...)

When will FFXIII-2 be available: This December in Japan, and early 2012 for Europe.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
In a game like XIII-2, being able to save anywhere makes sense. The battle-retry option of XIII made it almost redundant to save any other time than when you wanted to quit. Being able to save anywhere is more or less an evolution of that system.

Droplet

Dark Schala said:
They introduced Noel (who has never been on Cocoon) and they want to use him as a main character because they want the game to be interesting and accessible to everyone, even if they haven't played FFXIII. (I'm guessing that it'll be similar to FFX's storytelling with Tidus constantly asking questions and everyone else explaining things to him.)

It's amazing that they missed including this character in the original game. Glad they at least learned from their mistake there...hopefully. The inclusion of a datalog (I thought I saw it) does not bode well.

Droplet said:
It's amazing that they missed including this character in the original game. Glad they at least learned from their mistake there...hopefully. The inclusion of a datalog (I thought I saw it) does not bode well.

In theory Vanille was that character, but she never asked questions because if she did she would have been outed as someone from Pulse.

The conext of the story pretty much made it impossible to do what they did with Tidus.

Droplet

Fimbulvetr said:
In theory Vanille was that character, but she never asked questions because if she did she would have been outed as someone from Pulse.

The conext of the story pretty much made it impossible to do what they did with Tidus.

They should have just made her act incredibly stupid. She could've used that whole 'sleeping in history class' excuse the entire time and nobody would've batted an eyelash.

Appollowexx said:
Welcome to anime.
Also - no Snow, even his old crew is in the trailer, what gives?

He's stuck in the alternate reality dimension time warp labyrinth of puzzles obviously!

Pooya

Appollowexx said:
Also - no Snow, even his old crew is in the trailer, what gives?

Usually with these games, they don't reveal the whole cast at the first reveal of the game, 6 months before release date. Plenty of time to reveal more on magazines or at events.

miladesn said:
Usually with these games, they don't reveal the whole cast at the first reveal of the game, 6 months before release date. Plenty of time to reveal more on magazines or at events.
That's true for new characters but usually returning characters are shown from day one as they are just that - characters we have seen before. I'm sure it's for story purposes though.
Unless Serah went through a rough divorce and doesn't want to talk about it.

Sword Familiar

Appollowexx said:
That's true for new characters but usually returning characters are shown from day one as they are just that - characters we have seen before. I'm sure it's for story purposes though.
Unless Serah went through a rough divorce and doesn't want to talk about it.

There will probably be a kiss with Noel followed by a "I can't".

Dunan

miladesn said:
She's now 23 years old actually!
edit: late.
captureesl1.jpg

She's 23; that's great! I'll happily accept a younger-looking person in their 20s over a teenager.

Unrelated, but where did that screen shot come from? The sign seems to say CYPRESS; could that be the name of this
HD!!
town?

Droplet said:
They should have just made her act incredibly stupid. She could've used that whole 'sleeping in history class' excuse the entire time and nobody would've batted an eyelash.

Because they're morons, yes.

Unfortunately that would make it jarring for whoever is playing the game seeing the characters act stupid(well, more stupid than they already are).

Hope's age would probably a good excuse to not have him know stuff.

Sword Familiar

Appollowexx said:
''I have a sister though''. Noel gets together with Lightning - and an abusive relationship is formed (on his end).

He'll get used to wearing make-up to cover the shame. "Did, did Lightning do this to you?" "I... fell."

sonicmj1

Fimbulvetr said:
Because they're morons, yes.

Unfortunately that would make it jarring for whoever is playing the game seeing the characters act stupid(well, more stupid than they already are).

Hope's age would probably a good excuse to not have him know stuff.

Even the questions she did ask were stupid enough to get her outed.

Looking at a picture of the chief executive of Cocoon: "Who is this guy?"

"Do people really hate Pulse that much?"

"Nautilus Park? What's that?"

I was kind of surprised at the time that Sazh never batted an eyelash.

Jerk said:
Bioware storytelling? What the fuck have I missed?
Yep.

Every party member outside of Serah and Noel will be completely disconnected from the main story.

Also you can make good and evil choices that effect Mog's physical status.

If you do evil stuff his Crystal pompom will turn sanguine red and he'll become dark-skinned with glowing cracks all over his body. Also he starts cursing instead of saying kupo.

Sword Familiar

Fimbulvet said:
Also he starts cursing instead of saying kupo.

I thought that already was a curse word? Like, Mooglolian for "fuck off" or something. Maybe it just means "idiot".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
Unrelated, but where did that screen shot come from? The sign seems to say CYPRESS; could that be the name of this
HD!!
town?
Hahahahahahaha!!

That place doesn't look like a "Cypress". Sounds like the name for a nightclub.

*gasp* Perhaps this will happen in some form, if it is a nightclub!
211qvyuvdcl.gif

Kidding, it's probably the name of something in that town. Perhaps the town itself going with your theory.

Sword Familiar said:
There will probably be a kiss with Noel followed by a "I can't".
I can see the fanfiction being written already.

Appollowexx said:
''I have a sister though''. Noel gets together with Lightning - and an abusive relationship is formed (on his end).
Naw, Lightning's (in all seriousness) is probably going to get with that other dude... who's probably Noel's brother. I don't know.

Pooya

Dunan said:
HD!!
town?

from the demo, the name of this area is Bresha Ruins, chapter 3 from FFXIII (the crystal lake and the ruins after it)

the sign says Chocobo Express
capturefnl8.jpg

looking at ohter subtitles there are some good things: (watch the gamespot video)
"The rain isn't artificial - it's the real thing" (well, fal'cie are no more)
"The people at the Academy..." (there is an Academy!)

Top Bottom