• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

Raelson said:
The second game also came with the PC. It was a demo. It was a bit like AOE but it really focused on one city. You played in this city where you had to organize and build everything. You watched as the city grew bigger. It was set in the ancient Rome. You built aqueducts, forums and so on. When you got to a certain population it was game over, because of it being a demo.

That'd be one of the Caesar titles. I would guess Caesar II from the era.

Raelson

mclem said:
That'd be one of the Caesar titles. I would guess Caesar II from the era.
You are amazing! This is the one, thank you very much! : )

protonion said:
Gregory Horror Show
Sorry, thats not the one : (! The game was more focused on the games rather than the story. It was very straight forward. IIRC there was a pretty heavy emphasis on classic looking bombs in the mini games.

I remember some mech game on the SNES that was out close to launch. It was a side scroller, but I can't remember much past that. It's driven me nuts for YEARS.

RustyO

Azar said:
A childhood game memory has surfaced recently and been bouncing around in my head for a couple days; curious if GAF can ID the game. I believe it was a samurai combat game for Windows 3.1 or DOS (probably DOS) that I was playing in the early or mid-90s. I remember the yin yang and Japanese armor being featured somewhat prominently and it may have had Bushido in the name, but maybe not.

Budokan : The Martial Spirit ?

Had multiple skills you trained in (Karate, Bo, Nunchaku and Kendo)

genesis_budokan_-_the_martial_spirit_2.gif

mclem

RoninChaos said:
I remember some mech game on the SNES that was out close to launch. It was a side scroller, but I can't remember much past that. It's driven me nuts for YEARS.

Cybernator?

Sansana said:
I believe it was a PC game (or port?) made by Sierra and had a StarTrek feel to it. I've played it sometime between 1993 - 1997 and it was quite colourful. I think it was a first person adventure game, but you could also pilot some kind of a space ship (not in space though, you could see some planet's terrain).

Any ideas?
Rama?

I'm trying to remember the name of some Shoot Em Up I saw on Youtube a while back. It was a modern top down shoot em up. The player appeared to move in large, fixed circles around the boss. The boss was fetus with what appeared to be some kind of machine around it. The boss eventually transformed into two smaller bosses. I can't find any pictures or videos of this game, unfortunately

Found it. It was a boss made in Fraxy. Really liked the design and the music in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7aOqHCP8es

RedSwirl

RoninChaos said:

Could you get out of the mechs and run around on-foot?

RedSwirl said:
Could you get out of the mechs and run around on-foot?
No, I don't believe so. I remember one of them being white, and I believe it had a whip. It looked like a damn gundam.

And no, it wasn't Cybernator. It's been driving me nuts for years. I want to say you could choose between 3 mechs but maybe I'm mistaken.

Shoogoo

There was this futuristic racing game on PC (around 97-98) that I can't remember the name.
I think I got it as a demo when I got a 3dfx Voodoo², but I'm not sure.

It was kind of a wipeout kind of game with bonuses like missiles, mines etc, but the vehicles had wheels. I think there were 3 types of vehicles, light, medium and heavy.

RoninChaos said:
No, I don't believe so. I remember one of them being white, and I believe it had a whip. It looked like a damn gundam.

And no, it wasn't Cybernator. It's been driving me nuts for years. I want to say you could choose between 3 mechs but maybe I'm mistaken.
Three robots... Xardion, that's got to be it.

There was this futuristic racing game on PC (around 97-98) that I can't remember the name.
I think I got it as a demo when I got a 3dfx Voodoo², but I'm not sure.

It was kind of a wipeout kind of game with bonuses like missiles, mines etc, but the vehicles had wheels. I think there were 3 types of vehicles, light, medium and heavy.
DethKarz? MegaRace 2 or 3? Rollcage? Rollcage Stage II (aka Death Track Racing)? Something else? There are quite a few choices...

Shoogoo

A Black Falcon said:

DethKarz? MegaRace 2 or 3? Rollcage? Rollcage Stage II (aka Death Track Racing)? Something else? There are quite a few choices...

Yesss! Thanks!

A Black Falcon said:

Just googled it and you're right. I need your address so I can send you my first born child. This has been driving me nuts for YEARS. OMFG.

Skirn

This will be very vague, but here goes...

I remember having a game on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) just before the PSX launched in Europe. I think the game was new at the time. You played as a, uh, cave man, I guess, that could shoot a purple laser. I'm not exactly sure if it was a laser or if it actually was somekind of purple, glowing extension of his arm (think BIonic Commando). The first level was a jungle, I think, with monster that looked like dinosaurs.

Any guesses?

Mista Koo

I came to ask about a WarioWare-esque Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game which I remember as Action Puzzle.
Quick search before asking led to a game called Puzzle & Action: Tanto-R (with a sequel Ichidant-R), so thanks GAF :p

Desmond

Vague post incoming. I'm trying to remember a game for my friend

He thinks game is Top down view

PLOT
President kidnapped or something
Final boss makes painting come out of the wall
Pretty much all He remembers

Cheeses_Christ

Neo Member
Desmond said:
Vague post incoming. I'm trying to remember a game for my friend

He thinks game is Top down view

PLOT
President kidnapped or something
Final boss makes painting come out of the wall
Pretty much all He remembers

On what platform did he play it?

SNES side scrolling beat em up that was only released in Japan. The character portraits had a very 80's anime style.

At the end of the first level that main characters daughter is taken away and you start the second level as a dragon. You can shapeshift into other things as well.

I also remember the first levels backgrounds being very gory.

Son1x

There are 2 games that have been bothering me for a while.

First one is for PC, top down view with some mercenaries or some sort. You had a couple of levels, of which all took place in some laboratory (I remember it so). Between each level you could buy new weapon/ammunition. You got money from killing. I thought it was called "Dogs", but I can't find anything on it. It also supported co-op.

The second one is an arcade light gun game. You could choose out of 6 missions, I remember one being where the bus is being pushed by aliens and you had to kill the aliens before they did so. Another level had patients laying in room with some worms attacking them, while you shot at them.

Kazerei

Banned
Son1x said:
There are 2 games that have been bothering me for a while.

First one is for PC, top down view with some mercenaries or some sort. You had a couple of levels, of which all took place in some laboratory (I remember it so). Between each level you could buy new weapon/ammunition. You got money from killing. I thought it was called "Dogs", but I can't find anything on it. It also supported co-op.

The second one is an arcade light gun game. You could choose out of 6 missions, I remember one being where the bus is being pushed by aliens and you had to kill the aliens before they did so. Another level had patients laying in room with some worms attacking them, while you shot at them.

Cyberdogs?

Teppic

Skirn said:
This will be very vague, but here goes...

I remember having a game on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) just before the PSX launched in Europe. I think the game was new at the time. You played as a, uh, cave man, I guess, that could shoot a purple laser. I'm not exactly sure if it was a laser or if it actually was somekind of purple, glowing extension of his arm (think BIonic Commando). The first level was a jungle, I think, with monster that looked like dinosaurs.

Any guesses?
Greendog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dus7Zi0COk

balddemon

Banned
i used to have an apogee greatest hits CD with like 15 awesome games on it (monster m/bash, old duke nukem's, commander keen, etc.). i am wondering if anyone knows where to find it? because i'd love to play some of those games again, considering i couldn't ever beat the first level on monster mash lol

This one was so long ago I barely remember anything about it. Was a 2D platform adventure on the C64 that progressed screen by screen. Your character was a realistically proportioned man drawn all in white - I remember it being quite well-animated, at least compared to the other games I was used to at the time (BC's Quest for Tires and Wizard of Wor - though possibly not as fluid as the guy in Impossible Mission). I remember there being a cave with boulders that rolled at you along the ground horizontally. I remember the character being quite large on-screen.

mclem

fossil coast said:
This one was so long ago I barely remember anything about it. Was a 2D platform adventure on the C64 that progressed screen by screen. Your character was a realistically proportioned man drawn all in white - I remember it being quite well-animated, at least compared to the other games I was used to at the time (BC's Quest for Tires and Wizard of Wor - though possibly not as fluid as the guy in Impossible Mission). I remember there being a cave with boulders that rolled at you along the ground horizontally. I remember the character being quite large on-screen.

A few possibilities:

Myth's the one that I think's most likely. A *superb* game. Subtitled "History In The Making"; that'll distinguish it from the various Bungie titles.

Might possibly have been the 8-bit home computer version of Dragon's Lair; a very different beast to the NES title or the laserdisc original.

Exolon

Trantor: The Last Stormtrooper

Rad Warrior / The Sacred Armour Of Antiriad

MadmanUK

fossil coast said:

Rick Dangerous?

asked before but maybe someone can help me. There was an old turnbased dogfighting game from the 1990s. Steambirds would be it's spiritual successor, it plays generally the same way.

The game was played from a top down perspective and the background was solid cloud cover

here is a reference shot of steambirds NOT the game I'm looking for, but it should be something similar to this with more realism based graphics
SteamBirds-300x225.png

Throavium

A platformer on the Sega Genesis, where the character throws his limbs at enemies and gets to collect them at the beginning of each stage.

meljeff

OK here is a game that I only remember vaguely. I'm hoping your superior minds can figure it out. I remember it was an ARCADE game. I am fairly certain it had vector graphics.

The thing I remember most though was that when it was in attract mode it would speak and make challenges to you. I remember an alien would appear on the main screen. It was fairly rude if I recall as well. As a kid it scared the bejesus out of me because I actually thought it was speaking to me.

I know it isn't much to go on but I'm hoping someone can remember.

DTJAAAAM

Throavium said:
A platformer on the Sega Genesis, where the character throws his limbs at enemies and gets to collect them at the beginning of each stage.

Plok?

meljeff said:
OK here is a game that I only remember vaguely. I'm hoping your superior minds can figure it out. I remember it was an ARCADE game. I am fairly certain it had vector graphics.

The thing I remember most though was that when it was in attract mode it would speak and make challenges to you. I remember an alien would appear on the main screen. It was fairly rude if I recall as well. As a kid it scared the bejesus out of me because I actually thought it was speaking to me.

Doesn't totally fit the description, but just making sure... Sinistar?

Ok, here's one for ya'll.

Middle 90s, walked into the mall one day to discover MK2 had been removed and replaced with this absolutely bizarre hand drawn 2d fighter.

I remember nothing at all, not the number of buttons, not the title, not most of the characters, but I distinctly remember an extremely ugly sumo or kabuki character, a shirtless (I think) samurai warrior, and this tall, freaky looking geisha character that looked like Olive Oil with knobby knees in nothing but a short red kimono. I seem to recall the animation was really bad.

It was there a week, I played it once. Shit has been bugging me for 15 years.

DTJAAAAM

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Ok, here's one for ya'll.

Middle 90s, walked into the mall one day to discover MK2 had been removed and replaced with this absolutely bizarre hand drawn 2d fighter.

I remember nothing at all, not the number of buttons, not the title, not most of the characters, but I distinctly remember an extremely ugly sumo or kabuki character, a shirtless (I think) samurai warrior, and this tall, freaky looking geisha character that looked like Olive Oil with knobby knees in nothing but a short red kimono. I seem to recall the animation was really bad.

It was there a week, I played it once. Shit has been bugging me for 15 years.

Shogun Warriors?

Furio53

Man this has been bothering me for a while...

a PS1 game kind of isometric view shooter. ala diablo. You started in an insane asylum or prison? I think it had a sequel too. Pretty gory and crazy. I can't remember much else, I think it had 2 player as well.

DTJAAAAM

Furio53 said:
Man this has been bothering me for a while...

a PS1 game kind of isometric view shooter. ala diablo. You started in an insane asylum or prison? I think it had a sequel too. Pretty gory and crazy. I can't remember much else, I think it had 2 player as well.

Loaded?

Lemming

meljeff said:

Gorf?

meljeff said:
OMG You are my hero!!!!!

I can't believe it I never thought I'd figure out what the game was you guys are freakin awesome.

Now to relive my nightmares....

Haha, so I wasn't the only one to be scared by that alien.. I used to call him the "one eyed slob" when I was little *lol*

Venfayth

Some MMO game where you could choose between using guns or swords. Kind FPS-ey. You could run on walls, play in FFA's or team-based matches. People commonly 'dueled' 1v1 style.

It was free, I think, or there was at the very least a free trial. I have no idea if it's around anymore, though.

Volimar

Wow great thread. Reminded me of a lot of games i used to play.

I wish someone would make a movie/series version of this in the off topic section. I'd give it so much business.

Top Bottom