• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Danny 117

Side note: The post count was "2552" when i entered this thread (ie the year of Halo Reach, 1, 2, ODST and Part of 3.)
On topic: I don't mind that they are using Reach's multiplayer for the CE Anniversary maps, as long as they make adjustments to the playlist they are put in to make it feel more like Halo CE.
This game, to me, seems like Bungie's ODST, a simple side project to generate some revenue and fill in the gap between two main entries in the series. I ain't expecting much.

Walshicus

ido said:
I had more fun using the Halo 1 pistol than any other weapon, in any other Halo game to date. It was just really really fun to use.
The Halo 1 pistol was shit in that it should never have been a pistol. Hence the DMR, Battle Rifle etc. take that niche.

Small tangent: I love (and detest) how predictably cyclical every conversation here evolves.

Kibbles

A27 Tawpgun said:
Smackdown.

What a fantastic fluke it was.

But at the same time, it wasn't. It was really common sense.

Halo's multiplayer didn't have any of the modern gimmicks and flash current shooters do now. Every weapon had its role and everything was implemented as it was in campaign. Simple and it works.

Now there's a ton of more shit to balance. I'd love if Halo 4 shipped with a classic mode, where it was simple and concise gameplay.
I agree. Too much shit nowadays.

Any update on that 343 Podcast?

Booshka

Sir Fragula said:
The Halo 1 pistol was shit in that it should never have been a pistol. Hence the DMR, Battle Rifle etc. take that niche.

Small tangent: I love (and detest) how predictably cyclical every conversation here evolves.
I hate the fact that people get upset over a weapon skin, who cares what it looks like or is called. It was a great gun to use and the most fun in any Halo game. I guess if Bungie would have changed the skin and just called it a Rifle, a lot less people would complain.

ido

Booshka said:
I hate the fact that people get upset over a weapon skin, who cares what it looks like or is called. It was a great gun to use and the most fun in any Halo game. I guess if Bungie would have changed the skin and just called it a Rifle, a lot less people would complain.

Exactly.

You're a space marine battling weird aliens with futuristic weaponry. His argument is the realism of the weapon? It's not believable enough? lol

urk said:
Also, the Halo pistol was a joy to use. I don't know where the idea of our collective, consensual hatred of it stems from. Stories about its inception (even within the studio) range from happy accident to a glitch in the campaign damage model carrying over to multiplayer. The reality as I've heard it from people who were in the room is that Jones intentionally increased the damage in the final moments, even though some of his designers weren't happy with the call.
Thank you for this, Urk. I've wondered about the origins of the Pistol's power for the last 10 years of my life. I might break down in tears from this revelation, joyful tears.
Hire Jason Jones for president! Alex Seropian for vice-pres, and make Hardy LeBel and Michael Evans part of their staff. They should go into the video game hall of fame forever.

Booshka said:
No doubt, lol.

Woorloog

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
If campaign is exactly the same we should still be able to double melee and back pack reload right?
Yes, it's the same engine. Only new graphics.
All the old glitches SHOULD work...
I wonder how big internet rage there will be if some glitches won't work...

ido

exYle said:
Personally, I can't have any fun at the wrong end of an unbalanced game...
Not saying CE was unbalanced, just pointing out the flaw in this statement.

I took that statement as saying fun is more important than balance.

PooBone

Woorloog said:
Yes, it's the same engine. Only new graphics.
All the old glitches SHOULD work...
I wonder how big internet rage there will be if some glitches won't work...

Loud cries from a very small crowd.

Me, personally, as long as I can find the lone marine and see the grunt with the great nipple thirst I'm fine.

Ichabod

Banned
Been following this thread all weekend at work and all I have to say is: Ido get out of my brain! Every post of yours has echoed my sentiments exactly. Brofist.jpg

border

Kinda weird to think about it, but if Halo: CE had been released in the Xbox Live era, I bet they would have nerfed the pistol in a patch or something. In some ways we're lucky that it was LAN-only :)

ido

ncsuDuncan said:
What is disheartening about it? From what we can tell so far the Title Update is for Reach, not CEA. Meaning normal Reach players may benefit from it as well.

The Title Update is for Reach, to accommodate CE. It's yet another nail in the coffin of the true original MP of CE. It's sad because, even though we all knew we wouldn't be getting it, this just kind of confirms that even more.

wwm0nkey

ido said:
The Title Update is for Reach, to accommodate CE. It's yet another nail in the coffin of the true original MP of CE. It's sad because, even though we all knew we wouldn't be getting it, this just kind of confirms that even more.
How about we wait to hear whats in this Title Update first?

ido

Sir Fragula said:
For fuck's sake... You guys will bitch about anything.

Here we go again. Be very glad that you are happy with what is being offered to you, and that you absolutely have no problem with a remake of a game that is going to be sold with even less content than the original game had ten years ago. It's really strange to see people actually cheerleading and arguing for a butchered MP.

lovelove.

wwm0nkey said:
How about we wait to hear whats in this Title Update first?

Well, why? One thing we DO know is that the original MP is not coming, so does it really matter what tweaks they are going to make to Reach? Even STILL, we are still only getting HALF the number of maps that the original game shipped with, and they are remakes.

Surely I can't be the only person sad about all of this. Everyone else seems pretty god damn excited about all of this lack of content.

Falt

ido said:
Surely I can't be the only person sad about all of this. Everyone else seems pretty god damn excited about all of this lack of content.

What exactly are you sad about? "A missed opportunity"?

Do you have a PC that can run Halo? Because all the content you could want and more is there waiting.

Anniversary is about the campaign. End of.
That and a Reach map pack

GavinGT

Banned
ido said:

I've waited patiently for the last ten years for Microsoft to give us a way to play Halo online. It seemed like such a no-brainer, but what they're offering with CEA multiplayer is an utter slap in the face.

I'm furious over the whole thing. I can't believe Microsoft would fuck over Halo's most hardcore and longtime fans like this. While I'd like to continue posting every day in protest, it's sort of moot at this point. This is what we're getting, and it's not like there's going to be another anniversary edition in five years to correct this injustice. The Reach map pack thing is bullshit, including only seven maps is bullshit, and including Halo 2 maps is bullshit (this is Halo's anniversary, not Halo 2's. Plus, Halo 2 already had online play).

Many will say, "Wait until we hear more about the new Classic mode. However, I really doubt they're going to go far enough with the tweaks to fool anybody into thinking they're playing Halo multiplayer again. Even if they are able to faithfully recreate the original weapon properties, vehicles, grenades, movement speed, jump arc, grenade arc, etc..., we're still stuck with certain things that are inherent to Reach's engine. The absence of Halo's amazing physics engine, for example, is something that will end up bringing down the whole experience.

Like I said, I could keep going, but it's probably too late for their plans to change based on feedback. Never have I felt so alienated from a company as I did after Microsoft's E3 conference, though. The CEA announcement trailer had me all pumped up, but then I came on GAF and read the awful truth behind the trailer. Fuck, I think I'm just about done with games.

Wizman23 said:
Go play Halo PC and quit ur bitching.

Netcode. Controller issues. This has been fucking done to death in this thread.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GavinGT said:
Fuck, I think I'm just about done with games.

Netcode. Controller issues. This has been fucking done to death in this thread.

So first off, you're right. No TU will make Reach MP play exactly like Halo CE and nobody should expect it to. It will provide us significant ways to change elements of that gameplay however. Secondly, wow.

Homeboyd

OuterWorldVoice said:
So first off, you're right. No TU will make Reach MP play exactly like Halo CE and nobody should expect it to. It will provide us significant ways to change elements of that gameplay however. Secondly, wow.
Which will also provide us significant ways to change elements of that gameplay too, right?

:)

OuterWorldVoice said:

I really hope your wow is just because of the general tone of his post, because in my mind he did hit the nail on the head in terms of the content of his post. A lot of people have been waiting a long time to play Halo 1 over live but this release pretty much kills all chances of that ever happening off. Im going to stop beating the dead horse now, but I honestly think the CE announcement with Reach multiplayer has been pretty dissapointing.

GavinGT said:
Many will say, "Wait until we hear more about the new Classic mode. However, I really doubt they're going to go far enough with the tweaks to fool anybody into thinking they're playing Halo multiplayer again. Even if they are able to faithfully recreate the original weapon properties, vehicles, grenades, movement speed, jump arc, grenade arc, etc..., we're still stuck with certain things that are inherent to Reach's engine. The absence of Halo's amazing physics engine, for example, is something that will end up bringing down the whole experience.
Okay, so let me get this straight. You want Halo 1 multiplayer online, but you don't want ANYTHING changed about it, right? But your complaints about Halo PC are "Netcode. Controller issues. This has been fucking done to death in this thread."

You can't have an untouched Halo 1 engine with good netcode. Not good enough for multiplayer.

Seriously, it's impossible. Let me repeat that in bold in case you're just skimming my post. You can't have an untouched Halo 1 engine with good netcode. The best you could hope for would be a game engine built for online play that can "faithfully recreate the original weapon properties, vehicles, grenades, movement speed, jump arc, grenade arc, etc", but it sounds like you wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Releasing something labeled as "Halo 1 multiplayer online" is a no-win situation for Microsoft, and they're cleverly sidestepping that guaranteed disappointment by giving Reach a classic mode. Sure, there's still some disappointment right now, but that should lessen once more details come out, and it won't compare to the amount of rage that would have come about had they delayed Halo 4 two years to make a poor remake of Halo 1 multiplayer.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend. You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in. And, if you do not want to play Halo PC again, I would understand.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
bobs99 ... said:
I really hope your wow is just because of the general tone of his post, because in my mind he did hit the nail on the head in terms of the content of his post. A lot of people have been waiting a long time to play Halo 1 over live but this release pretty much kills all chances of that ever happening off. Im going to stop beating the dead horse now, but I honestly think the CE announcement with Reach multiplayer has been pretty dissapointing.

Honest question: why the fudge have you been waiting ten years to play Halo CE online? Did Bungie make some promises? Did Microsoft? Did anybody? Why exactly were you ever expecting to play Halo CE#s multiple online over Live?

There's an inexplicable sense of entitlement from the bitterly angry CE multiplayer fans. You know what really killed off the chance of playing CE multiplayer over Live? The fact that Halo CE came out before Live even existed. It missed the boat. CE was a product of the period in which it was created. It was never meant to be played online ever.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with being disappointed with the exclusion of CE's multiplayer with CEA, folks have no place bitching about 343 letting down "patient" fans. No one should have been waiting ten years to play CE's multiplayer over Live. That's just absurd and stupid.

ruxtpin

Banned
GavinGT said:
I'm furious over the whole thing. I can't believe Microsoft would fuck over Halo's most hardcore and longtime fans like this. While I'd like to continue posting every day in protest, it's sort of moot at this point. This is what we're getting, and it's not like there's going to be another anniversary edition in five years to correct this injustice. The Reach map pack thing is bullshit, including only seven maps is bullshit, and including Halo 2 maps is bullshit (this is Halo's anniversary, not Halo 2's. Plus, Halo 2 already had online play).

Let me guess, in your mind you picture a bunch of suits sitting around a black marble table in a dimmed room, rubbing their hands together and scheming how they can "fuck over Halo's most hardcore and longtime fans."

I'd hate to break it to you, but the number of people who are so "hardcore" that they're not going to buy Halo:CEA because of the changes made are a relatively small number in the grand scheme. I saw people on forums freak out over the changes made between Halo:CE and Halo 2 (which repeated with Halo 2 to Halo 3, and from Halo 3 to Reach). And you know what? Didn't make a lick of difference, because the general public doesn't care. They'll buy the game, they'll play it, and they'll enjoy it. These "hardcore" fans that flip out over changes made, you're not the ones bringing the bank, that's what the general public does (aka "the masses"). And at the end of the day, most of the folks that bitch and moan will probably end up buying it anyway as the player-base migrates to the next hot thing.

Booshka

bobs99 ... said:
The "I'm going to quit gaming because they botched the Halo CE remake" stance is a little ridiculous, but I see his frustration and disappointment. I feel very similarly, the current and future console gaming climate, along with the disappointment of Halo games lately, have just pushed me to switch to PC gaming. Watching that MS conference filled with Kinect and the same 4 games that MS always shows (CoD, Gears, Fable, Halo) was disconcerting. Then the news about the CEmake, pouring salt on the wound. I was already interested in getting into PC gaming because I am tired of playing games that are held back by the aging tech of consoles. I don't want to play Skyrim or BF3 at 30fps and below, both titles will be gimped on console, and the future for consoles, outside of XBLA, looks bleak.

Homeboyd

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, so let me get this straight. You want Halo 1 multiplayer online, but you don't want ANYTHING changed about it, right? But your complaints about Halo PC are "Netcode. Controller issues. This has been fucking done to death in this thread."

You can't have an untouched Halo 1 engine with good netcode. Not good enough for multiplayer.

Seriously, it's impossible. Let me repeat that in bold in case you're just skimming my post. You can't have an untouched Halo 1 engine with good netcode. The best you could hope for would be a game engine built for online play that can "faithfully recreate the original weapon properties, vehicles, grenades, movement speed, jump arc, grenade arc, etc", but it sounds like you wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Releasing something labeled as "Halo 1 multiplayer online" is a no-win situation for Microsoft, and they're cleverly sidestepping that guaranteed disappointment by giving Reach a classic mode. Sure, there's still some disappointment right now, but that should lessen once more details come out, and it won't compare to the amount of rage that would have come about had they delayed Halo 4 two years to make a poor remake of Halo 1 multiplayer.

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend. You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in. And, if you do not want to play Halo PC again, I would understand.
Something about a nail and a head.

It's been 12 years and I still can't play Super Smash Bros. 64 online.

All of those classic levels and characters in SSB Brawl were just bullshit, and the online mode sucked. Then Nintendo announces they're going to make a new Smash Bros. game for Wii U and 3DS.

Wizman23

Banned
GavinGT said:
I've waited patiently for the last ten years for Microsoft to give us a way to play Halo online. It seemed like such a no-brainer, but what they're offering with CEA multiplayer is an utter slap in the face.

Like I said, I could keep going, but it's probably too late for their plans to change based on feedback. Never have I felt so alienated from a company as I did after Microsoft's E3 conference, though. The CEA announcement trailer had me all pumped up, but then I came on GAF and read the awful truth behind the trailer. Fuck, I think I'm just about done with games.

This is the best meltdown post I ever read. I thought nothing would top the manbaby crying fest in regards to the last humpday when "some" of Halo Gaf showed their true colors. I hope you enjoy your new hobby whatever it is you decide on.

Booshka

I don't need Halo 1 multiplayer online, I just want a good Halo MP game on Xbox Live. I was disappointed by Halo 2, then Halo 3, not so much Reach, because it is status quo at this point, and it is better than H3 imo. But, every release after Halo CE has had a disappointing or mediocre MP component. I am part of a tiny, hardcore group that loved Halo CE mp, and have been disappointed since.

If Bungie could have made a MP game that eclipsed the quality of Halo CE mp, people wouldn't be clamoring for Halo CE online. I don't have faith that the next Halo will have great MP, the last 3 haven't. Halo CE MP is a known quantity, so if it was put online, I would enjoy it. Of course, there are technical hurdles with putting it online, but I'd still take that over whatever Reach CE combo they are trying now.

If 343 can please the hardcore Halo CE fans with a new, good Halo MP game, we will probably calm down on the Halo CE MP bitchfest. I don't have nostalgia goggles, or only want Halo CE mp, I just want a good Halo game. I think Shadowrun has better MP than Halo CE, and that came out in 2007, and wasn't developed by Bungie, so it's not nostalgia, or developer bias
except for my John Howard bias

I guess Halo is just so big now, has to appeal to so many audiences, and have so much content, that the niche that is Halo CE MP diehards, has been left behind.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG I Jumped into HaloPC last night. It was so dope. The warthogs are so much more fun than the other games. It was sooo crazy.

The graphics hold up remarkably well, too. I was playing at 720p on a 26in TV and it was great. I could see dudes all the way across blood gulch. Even the muzzle flash of another sniper who sighted me before I got to him.

Need to fix that fov though, it cuts off like half the weapon.

Ichabod

Banned
I completely understand that H1 MP is gone and isn't coming back...ever. It's a bitter pill to swallow but it is what it is. At this point, all we CE purists can hope for is a palatable compromise. If I can't have CE's MP, then I'd be happy with increased customization of the MP component (ala what we're all praying the Classic ++++++++ playlist turns out to be).
If I can tweak things like making the DMR a 3 or 4 shot kill weapon, enable shield bleed through, disable bloom, etc, I don't think I'd be playing much of any FPS outside of Reach for quite some time.

ido

ncsuDuncan said:

XBC was pretty decent when you had a good connection. Halo PC did not even feel the same since you could not use a controller properly in the game, so it doesn't even count for me. It was created when 56k modems were still the norm.

I'm not sure I even understand your point here. You're saying in order to have MP for CE put on Live, they would have to do some tweaking, because as is would not work? OKAY. What the fuck is your point here? It is extremely obvious that ANY game that never had online play would need tweaking in order to bring it online. Do I need to do the whole, "Let me repeat in bold" for you as well?

Releasing something labeled as "Halo 1 multiplayer online" is a no-win situation for Microsoft, and they're cleverly sidestepping that guaranteed disappointment by giving Reach a classic mode.

Look, I'm glad that you seemingly know the future of all fantastical products and how well they will do once released, but CE over XBC was fun. It was just a hassle for most people to even attempt to setup compared to using Live. There was obviously some lag, but the MP experience was still very fun.

But hey, by all means, go enjoy your butchered MP. Go celebrate a castrated set of maps. Go white knight Microsoft some more for re-releasing an old classic with even less content than the original.

It's been 12 years and I still can't play Super Smash Bros. 64 online.

All of those classic levels and characters in SSB Brawl were just bullshit, and the online mode sucked. Then Nintendo announces they're going to make a new Smash Bros. game for Wii U and 3DS.

lol

It's so incredibly strange of us to expect, when faced with a remake of Halo 1, the full game remade? Again, it must be nice to be so easily satisfied with a product that is offering less than what the original did ten years ago. Your Smash Bros. statement was almost going to be funny, if it actually made any sense.

Woorloog

Banned
Jtwo said:
OMG I Jumped into HaloPC last night. It was so dope. The warthogs are so much more fun than the other games. It was sooo crazy.

The graphics hold up remarkably well, too. I was playing at 720p on a 26in TV and it was great. I could see dudes all the way across blood gulch. Even the muzzle flash of another sniper who sighted me before I got to him.

Need to fix that fov though, it cuts off like half the weapon.
You cannot sadly fix the FOV with newest patch... Some external programs don't work anymore, you exception error or something. One such was this amazing program that allowed you to set camera to third person and adjust FOV.
Halo PC cut the FOV to 75 degrees from Xbox version which had 90 degree FOV, i think.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bobs99 ... said:
I really hope your wow is just because of the general tone of his post,

No, I actually responded to his post because I thought he made good and interesting points - just the "never playing ANY games again" part.

ido said:
It's so incredibly strange of us to expect, when faced with a remake of Halo 1, the full game remade? Again, it must be nice to be so easily satisfied with a product that is offering less than what the original did ten years ago.
Ido, I totally feel your pain. Isn't it fun having all these people who are completely happy with everything sucker-punching you in the balls on top everything else? The only thing that was beat into the ground, after it was announced that only the campaign was being remade, was my morale.

I think it's sad how some people think we've been expecting and waiting for Halo:CE multiplayer on xboxlive for the last 10 years. No, not even close... More like I've been hoping (way back in the darkest recesses of my brain), despite knowing it would never happen. And then comes the surprise announcement of a remake. Of course I thought it would include matchmaking! It's what thousands of players, if not hundreds of thousands of players had been asking from a long time ago. Does it not make sense to logically connect the dots and assume we were finally getting matchmaking? Yes, it makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is the absolutely horrid marketing idea to remake the campaign, which I have never heard even the tiniest voice request, while completely excluding the most desired part. Either include matchmaking or don't even go there (as I've posted before). Remaking Combat Evolved without online matchmaking capabilities is sacrilege, a desecration of Halo Holiness, a foot up the ass of every original Halo fan, and only amplified by the fact that it's supposed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the game. I think I'd rather be raped.

Honestly, I believe Microsoft wouldn't allow it. It's the only explanation that I can accept without my head exploding. No one can be that dumb, nobody. I imagine 343i were actually itching to work on the matchmaking part and were denied. But let all the happy campers try to justify that it makes sense when it doesn't. Fragmented userbase.... pfft.

Wee campaign! Wait.. wut?
0007_lyu8.gif

dangit! i shouldn't have even looked at this thread. all it did was rile me up. I'm sorry!!

ido said:
XBC was pretty decent when you had a good connection. Halo PC did not even feel the same since you could not use a controller properly in the game, so it doesn't even count for me. It was created when 56k modems were still the norm.
XBC takes "host advantage" to the extreme, and it's unacceptable for any serious gaming. It might be fun just to screw around on occasion, but even with the fastest internet connections available today you're going to run into latency issues that are orders of magnitude greater than what you would get over LAN. And it shows, with people teleporting everywhere and bullets missing their targets.

I'm not sure I even understand your point here. You're saying in order to have MP for CE put on Live, they would have to do some tweaking, because as is would not work? OKAY. What the fuck is your point here? It is extremely obvious that ANY game that never had online play would need tweaking in order to bring it online. Do I need to do the whole, "Let me repeat in bold" for you as well?

My point is that there is a huge difference between "having to do some tweaking" and "having to build an entirely new engine from scratch", which is what they would have to do to make it work. You can't just tweak CE to work well online, that's what happened with Halo PC - even with dedicated servers you have to lead your shots and the experience feels completely different.

Making a proper Halo 1 with online multiplayer would require you to completely scrap the existing Halo code and start anew. I don't think you understand how deeply netcode affects a game engine. There are some great powerpoint presentations on Bungie's About page that explain this better, I highly recommend them.

Every time you hit the L trigger on your controller to throw a grenade a complex process is started between the host and the client that determines when the animation starts, when and where the grenade object is created, and how that information is relayed to all of the other clients. Halo 1 doesn't have that built in, the animation and grenade creation wasn't designed with latency in mind.

Have you ever played Firefight on a laggy connection? All of your inputs seem delayed and it becomes difficult to play. That would be the best case scenario using the intact Halo 1 engine, and it would be laughed at by the majority of the community. You can't have an untouched Halo 1 engine with good netcode, and 343 has wisely decided to levarage Halo: Reach's engine (and netcode) to quickly give us a "Classic" experience. They're too busy working on Halo 4 to build an entirely new Halo 1 engine just to appease the CE-exclusive devotees (who would probably criticize it anyways).

KageMaru

Has this been posted before?

Frantic343 @
@TimothyLottes I found a couple FXAA3 perf tweaks for the 360
version that speeds it up about 15-20% without changing the results.

Someone at 343 seems to be looking into the 360 version of FXAA. Though I'm not sure if this applies to Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4, or both.

Either way, if they are able to implement this, it should create a cleaner picture than TAA, without the ghosting.

GloveSlap

I just wish the Halo remake would have came out during Halo 3's reign. I would much rather have had the remake map packs in that game than Reach. I don't really like the gameplay in Reach and I don't have much faith in any tweaks making it good enough.

Top Bottom