• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

J@hranimo

Banned
Chitlins? Fucking gross.

I've never even had Kraft branded BBQ sauce, but personally it's about that sweet baby rays!

In my book, hot sawce > BBQ sawce

GPS02.jpg

My dad got some of this stuff and it is so damn good.

enzom21 said:
What's your point? He didn't say there were no black people in movies, just that other races were woefully underrepresented.
Dwayne McDuffie had a good take on blacks in comics and how white audiences react to having black characters in comics and entertainment.
http://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ
Awesome link brah, that's for posting. Lead me to this which I found very interesting as well.

Edit:
It annoys me how interesting topics about the Black experience like what enzom posted get overlooked or completely ignored but people will go on and on about Anime and BBQ Sauce. It's like some people are scared to discuss real topics. Perhaps I have a different outlook since I'm a bit older than most in here *shakes old man fist*

Yasae

Banned
Black Republican said:
u got a link to that thread?
It's probably gone by now, but I remember the comments.

If you're black and you speak, that's part of what sounding black is. If you're white and you speak, that's part of what sounding white is. Etc etc etc. Obviously the casting director didn't care what color she was.

Yasae

Banned
Gamer98 said:
Does anybody here get sick of seeing white people in movies and tv? Do yall feel like the other races are vastly misrepresented?

white protagonist after white protagonist I used to not think anything of it but as I got older it just began to annoy the fuck out of me.

Its like Hollywood had a view of the world that is the farthest thing from being real. And people believe what they see so through media white people expect us to act a certain way and to be honest it makes me want to kill myself cause I can't just be.
Yes I do.

And I will go there and say - at least in this context - it's very similar to how gays are portrayed. Basically: white is normal. Straight is normal. Change the color or orientation or some other unimportant feature and it becomes an abstraction, like it's specially selected.

Austin was whiter than a lightning bolt. God DAMN it was white there. Even being that color myself, I got tired of seeing so much of one race in an area. It felt... Well... Stagnant and inbred (no pun intended.)

Now in Third Ward Houston where it's blacker than midnight, I almost feel the same way. There's too much cultural segregation, too much old-school bias. Nothing really grows. And I do get a bunch of stares but that's to be expected.

Imm0rt4l said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQW8TA9E6Po

6054-jchobziy7x.jpg

miho fukuhara

Edit: You're fucking up.......

Damn that's what I'm talking about. Wish most of the singers that they choose to do shonen anime intros and outros sounded more like that. Only other Japanese singer I've heard that has as much "soul" is Minmi

and like I said earlier: I live in British Columbia. I don't think they even sell catfish where I live.
MWS Natural said:
Awesome link brah, that's for posting. Lead me to this which I found very interesting as well.

Edit:
It annoys me how interesting topics about the Black experience like what enzom posted get overlooked or completely ignored but people will go on and on about Anime and BBQ Sauce. It's like some people are scared to discuss real topics. Perhaps I have a different outlook since I'm a bit older than most in here *shakes old man fist*

Well maybe I think a lot of people are just not sure what they could say that hasn't already been said. Its upsetting that people are so focused on the outward appearance of a character instead of what he or she does. If you ask someone what makes someone like batman cool will they say "the fact that he's white"? if someone decided to make a black batman, people would freak the fuck out, but they really shouldn't care because that character is still the same but he has a different skin tone.

I think part of the reason why people would get upset when seeing an established character having a race-swap would be because they're expecting him/her to bring in experiences that would be unique to his race and that would make the white reader feel alienated. Its also a sad reminder of the fact that many people still don't understand each other and they may not even want to.

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
Damn that's what I'm talking about. Wish most of the singers that they choose to do shonen anime intros and outros sounded more like that. Only other Japanese singer I've heard that has as much "soul" is Minmi

and like I said earlier: I live in British Columbia. I don't think they even sell catfish where I live.

Well maybe I think a lot of people are just not sure what they could say that hasn't already been said. Its upsetting that people are so focused on the outward appearance of a character instead of what he or she does. If you ask someone what makes someone like batman cool will they say "the fact that he's white"? if someone decided to make a black batman, people would freak the fuck out, but they really shouldn't care because that character is still the same but he has a different skin tone.

I think part of the reason why people would get upset when seeing an established character having a race-swap would be because they're expecting him/her to bring in experiences that would be unique to his race and that would make the white reader feel alienated. Its also a sad reminder of the fact that many people still don't understand each other and they may not even want to.

Props for mentioning MINMI, she got dat Japanese islander samba flava

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So, what do you guys think of South Sudan becoming it's own sovereign state?

Veidt said:
So, what do you guys think of South Sudan becoming it's own sovereign state?

I'm optimistic. They've got some problems they'll have to deal with, such as drought, but they do have some oil and a decent amount of farmland. I hope the North doesn't get jealous and try to invade. I mentioned it some pages back but nobody seemed interested in talking about it.

Veidt

I reckon the north will most certainly find ways to stir things up. You don't just give up that much oil. But then again, when compared with other nations, specifically those oil dependent ones, the actions of the north would hardly be classified as either unique or unexpected.
I mean, if this was China or the US, there wouldn't be a South Sudan, in the first place.

edit: and yea, smh at black gaf for not talking about this!

Veidt said:
I reckon the north will most certainly find ways to stir things up. You don't just give up that much oil. But then again, when compared with other nations, specifically those oil dependent ones, the actions of the north would hardly be classified as either unique or unexpected.
I mean, if this was China or the US, there wouldn't be a South Sudan, in the first place.

Well we don't even know whether the oil could be a gift or a curse. In Nigeria, oil has made people greedy and although reports have the GDP as being pretty high, our gini coefficient is garbage. Officials are overpaid and given kickbacks by oil companies, and the resources are so terribly mismanaged. There isn't even 24/7 electricity. A black out could come at any moment.

I'd like to see who makes up the new south Sudan govt. Hopefully they have western educated intellectuals at the top.Their constitution is pretty good. But its meaningless unless there are people on the top who won't be easily corrupted or cheated, especially when China inevitably shows up and starts eyeing their oil

Imm0rt4l

MWS Natural said:

Edit:
I commented on it, nice to see someone else did.

Veidt said:

I brought up some stuff relating to the conflict in cote d'ivore some months back and it was overlooked. Honestly, sometimes I think some people are a bit indifferent on matters in the motherland, which is sad but I guess being 2nd generation African its not as alien to me? I dunno.

Lebron said:
I would fight any of you for Miho Fukuhara's hand, and I would fight dirty.

fall back son, I saw her first.

eternaLightness said:
Yay or Nay on chitterlings Black Gaf.

Nay.

Yay.

My mom and dad make em for the holidays...delicious.

It's the kind of food I would only eat if prepared by them or someone I know though. They have to be cleaned thoroughly, and the "pre-cleaned" ones that people buy are only like half way there but a lot of people don't know that.

Yay on pretty much all soul food except for Okra. Just had some fried cabbage and hamhock the other night, matter o'fact...:)

Veidt

Yea. Can't really blame anyone for it.
I think some of us are still engrossed with the issues in Africa, because it hits a lot closer to home, and isn't something distant and unfamiliar.

Bay Maximus said:
I have read this sentence 5+ times, and I have no idea what it means. Help me out
Horrible comma usage coupled with his use of "China or the US" only adds to the confusion.

Better said: "I mean, if this was a 1st world (or similarly powerful) country, there wouldn't be a country split. They would have kept their country together."

Even then, the comment is wholly pointless and devoid of value. It's a statement to which only the word "duh" qualifies as a proper response.

Veidt

Bay Maximus said:
I have read this sentence 5+ times, and I have no idea what it means. Help me out
Let's say there was a region in China with considerable amount of oil. Do you think China would let the region declare itself a separate self governed state?

Dreams-Visions said:
Horrible comma usage coupled with his use of "China or the US" only adds to the confusion.

Better said: "I mean, if this was a 1st world (or similarly powerful) country, there wouldn't be a country split. They would have kept their country together."

Even then, the comment is wholly pointless and devoid of value. It's a statement to which only the word "duh" qualifies as a proper response.

what he said.

Dreams-Visions said:
Better said: "I mean, if this was a 1st world (or similarly powerful) country, there wouldn't be a South Sudan. They would have kept their country together."

Alright, got it.

I really wish the countries of Africa weren't so carved up. Imagine how much more progress would have been made if there where only 2-3 countries with stronger central governments. I won't say anymore in order to avoid a banning, but it really pisses me off when I think about why it's so.

Veidt

Bay Maximus said:
Alright, got it.

I really wish the countries of Africa weren't so carved up. Imagine how much more progress would have been made if there where only 2-3 countries with stronger central governments. I won't say anymore in order to avoid a banning, but it really pisses me off when I think about why it's so.
I don't know why you'd be banned.
It's common knowledge that Africa had been carved up to benefit colonial powers. Putting together people and nations that aren't remotely compatible. Separating those that were strong if they were to joined forces.
There's a horrible drought striking the people with malnutrition and dehydration;killing thousands of children in east-africa right now. When there used to be such a drought; the people would simply move to more fertile regions. Moving back and forth between seasons. This is no longer possible as there have been borders set in place, and so the people are effectively stuck.

Enzom21

LowerLevel said:
Yeeeesss!

And to Enzom... you messed me up. I have been so far out of the loop. Dwayne McDuffie died??? I am sure you all already went over this but this is news to me. WTF... So sad now. There goes any chances of a JL movie finalizing a GL/Hawkgirl wedding...
Yep Dwayne will be missed... especially when he did things like this.
682new_storyimage1636614_full.jpg

MWS Natural said:

Edit:

Great vid! It seems we are moving backwards in regards to black representation in entertainment, especially on television. During the late 80's and 90's there were quite a few "black shows" as well as a sprinkling of black characters on predominately white shows, but it seems nowadays that there are no black shows and very few black characters on white shows. Unfortunately, I don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

A big fat Nay to chitlins! When I was 8 or 9 my aunt was cooking some and at no point did they stop smelling like a pig's ass.

Has anyone seen Crips and Bloods: Made in America? http://youtu.be/qN4pP-1NWoA
I thought it was pretty informative.

Gamer98

Banned
Yasae said:
Yes I do.

And I will go there and say - at least in this context - it's very similar to how gays are portrayed. Basically: white is normal. Straight is normal. Change the color or orientation or some other unimportant feature and it becomes an abstraction, like it's specially selected.

Austin was whiter than a lightning bolt. God DAMN it was white there. Even being that color myself, I got tired of seeing so much of one race in an area. It felt... Well... Stagnant and inbred (no pun intended.)

Now in Third Ward Houston where it's blacker than midnight, I almost feel the same way. There's too much cultural segregation, too much old-school bias. Nothing really grows. And I do get a bunch of stares but that's to be expected.

Im just waiting for things to change I'm not paying any money to go see a movie because its all racially catered to white people who are now a minority but they pretend like in every movie they ever fucking make that the world is full of them. And if your not your just a prop. Fuck them fuck it all. I've been the butt of so many jokes because of white people and how they portray black people in movies. All my white friends think I'm cynical as fuck but I have a fucking reason to be. And Tyler Perry is a closet gay.

Satch

Banned
enzom21 said:
Has anyone seen Crips and Bloods: Made in America?
I thought it was pretty informative.
We watched this in my criminal justice class in college last year. Then it was on Netflix so I watched it again on the 360.

It's a great documentary, and I recommend others give it a watch. There's something very fascinating about the way that the gang culture started and how it evolved into what it is today.

I really wish that our brothers and sisters that have become immersed in that violent gang culture could wake up. We shouldn't be fighting each other like this. We really shouldn't be fighting each other at all. We've got bigger fish to fry than shooting back and forth at each other because we're in the wrong place at the wrong time wearing the wrong colors.

Bollocks

Is it okay to show my appreciation in here even though I'm white?
Especially them girls and black comedians, not to mention basketball or music, hell the world would be a bitter place without all of these things ;)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Bollocks said:
Is it okay to show my appreciation in here even though I'm white?
Especially them girls and black comedians, not to mention basketball or music, hell the world would be a bitter place without all of these things ;)
All are welcome. Sit a spell, have some lemonade and partake in conversation

harSon

Banned
Kosmo said:
Ever see a movie with one of these actors:

Will Smith
Terrence Howard
Forrest Whitaker
Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Taraji P. Henson
Mo'Nique
Gabourey Sidibe
Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill Cosby
Raven Simone
Samuel L Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Halle Berry
Gabrielle Union
Cuba Gooding
Kerry Washington
Viola Davis
Jaleel White(Steve Urkel)
Hattie McDaniel
Whoopi Goldberg
angela bassett
dorothy dandridge
Eddie Murphy
Oprah Winfrey
Ruby Dee
Queen Latifah
Denzel Washington

Know what's interesting about your list (Outside of the fact that you had to go back DECADES for some of them, you must have been digging pretty deep if you had to name drop Hattie McDaniel hahahaha)? The majority of your actors have been in the game since the 80s and 90s, a period in time where Hollywood actually seemed to be putting an effort into raising the representation of non-white actors.

Just for fun, compile a list of black actors that have come about relatively recently, for the sake of a cut off, let's say from the last decade. You know what? Compile a list of non-white actors in general that have come about in the last decade in Hollywood. I can already tell you it's not going to be a very big list. The truth is, if things like Tyler Perry and other all-black productions didn't exist, then potentially up and coming actors and actresses would struggle to find work more than they already do, and those jobs would simply go to black stars that have been established since the 80s and 90s (Most of which got their starts in 'black' films in the first place). Hollywood has done an AWFUL job of giving potentially up and coming non-white talent a chance to shine, and even when it has an opportune chance to in films like The Last Airbender, they choose to white wash characters and cast white actors/actresses instead.

What do you guys think of orientalist paintings?
(click for full size)
Jean-Leone Gerome

Horace Vernet

Ludwig Deutsche

more here

I'm thinking that one of these days I'll purchase some of these artworks as well as some west African Terracotta sculptures

Air

Banned
lightless_shado said:
(click for full size)
Jean-Leone Gerome

Horace Vernet

Ludwig Deutsche

more here

I'm thinking that one of these days I'll purchase some of these artworks as well as some west African Terracotta sculptures

Those are awesome. I'm gonna archive that website, too inspirational to lose

Veidt

lightless_shado said:
(click for full size)
Jean-Leone Gerome

Horace Vernet

Ludwig Deutsche

more here

Huge fan of Gerome myself.

polliceversoc.jpg

la_priere_au_caire-huge.jpg

4ba42b0751e9f211de0e8a42444b04cf.jpg

Jean%20Leon%20Gerome12.jpg

SmokyDave

Black James Bond is easy: David Oyelowo.

Portrait-of-David-Oyelowo-002.jpg

Great actor, English as fuck, great fit for James Bond.
Ducarmel said:
Why would a black Bond care for the Queen? black people in England really care about the Queen?

Cause I think I would snicker in the theater if I heard a black Bond say with a straight face for the Queen!.
Can't see why it would be any different to a white actor. Outside of films, most of us are apathetic about the queen.

Dead Man

Ducarmel said:
Why would a black Bond care for the Queen? black people in England really care about the Queen?

Cause I think I would snicker in the theater if I heard a black Bond say with a straight face for the Queen!

Nay on chitterlings.
Bond is still an Englishman, regardless of anything else. And yeah, as David said, most of the UK is pretty apathetic about her anyway.

My choice for black Bond would be Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. Can play tough and ruthless, but funny and charming too. Raised in London so I imagine he would have no problem with the accent.

UinQl.jpg

Bento

Dreams-Visions said:

Not so sure about that, isn't one of the reason for this split the fact that the Muslim north have been quite mean to the Christian and non-religious groups in the south? I mean sure Chechnya hasn't been able to split from Russia but is that a situation we really want to see again? I also think it depends on which first world country we are talking about, I really can't see my Sweden attacking the Samer again if they were come in possession of oil (and attempt to bail out), civil and human rights have progressed to far for such measures to be realistic.

Bento said:
Not so sure about that, isn't one of the reason for this split the fact that the Muslim north have been quite mean to the Christian and non-religious groups in the south? I mean sure Chechnya hasn't been able to split from Russia but is that a situation we really want to see again? I also think it depends on which first world country we are talking about, I really can't see my Sweden attacking the Samer again if they were come in possession of oil (and attempt to bail out), civil and human rights have progressed to far for such measures to be realistic.

It was a mixture of things. Culture, religion, and race. The northern sudanese are either arabs or afro-arabs. This is of course very ironic considering that in ancient times everyone in sudan was as black as those living in the south. It was basically a completely different country to begin with. I do agree that if it was a richer country it might not be that much of a problem. Quebec is very different from the rest of Canada, yet even after a referendum the Quebecois decided to stay as part of Canada. I would argue that it's because of the money that the federal government was throwing at that province.

The problem with many African countries is poor government. The resources are there, the manpower is there, but there are really shitty people at the top that only look out for number 1. I'm hoping the north doesn't invade the south, but it will not surprise me

Top Bottom