• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock PlayStation Vita Announced (Spin-Off Developed By Irrational)

jackdoe

That had to be one of the worst reveals ever. "Oh yeah, I'm thinking of making a game for the Vita. That is all."

Bungieware said:
If you can put it on NGP then why can't you put it on XBLA/PSN as well?

Ken Le-moneyhat

for fuck's sake.

The guy said the Vita game came from an idea they'd been toying with before. Deal with it.

Angry Fork

Visualante said:
Sell outs.
The fuck is this shit. Bioshock is my favorite game this gen and i've been wanting a handheld version for the longest. This is the best news out of Sony's conference so far other than the 250$ bomb.

Holy shit, potential killer app for me. I can't believe Irrational is developing it, very cool. Although I'm surprised they're sticking with the franchise for so long (though Infinite really has nothing to do with the first BioShock outside of the plasmid-like powers, I guess).

The M.O.B

Sounds like it is extremely early in development, it is one of those announcements when the game doesn't come until like 3 years after but they give an announcement still..........................for the sake of announcing something.

:/

Man

Ken Levine comments some more on Bioshock PSVita:

"We're now getting to a place with Vita and what Nintendo's doing where that's not necessarily going to be the case, where you can play full-on hardcore games in bed with the lights out while your wife's asleep. That means a lot to me."

He also spoke about the recently announced Bioshock project for PlayStation Vita handheld, and said he had no interest in making it a more casual style of game.

"That's not the kind of game I'm going to make. It is a core game," said Levine.

"I'm not a huge Fruit Ninja guy, it just doesn't interest me. I respect what those guys do, and obviously they're able to tap into a kind of zeitgeist that is outside what I do, but it's just not me. I'm a core gamer. If you're looking at me to make a game like that, you're probably hiring the wrong dude."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-12-levine-it-s-a-great-year-for-the-core-coming-back

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man said:
He said a bit more actually.

IGN said:
IGN: I thought the mention of BioShock on Vita was also very interesting. I don't know if that's BioShock 1 or if it's Infinite.

Ken Levine: That's a new game. That is going to be strange and surprising to people, in the same way. I think when we launched Infinite, people said, "Wait, what, what are you doing?" I think we always want to surprise people. If I'm just saying, "Here's BioShock 1 on Vita"... Let's say we potentially do, you don't need us to do that, somebody could make that happen if they wanted that to happen.

For us, it's like, "Hey, here's this weird experiment you want to do." Experiments always carry risks, though. That's been the experience of working on BioShock Infinite. And working on BioShock. People saying, "This is weird, risky, I don't understand." I'm fortunate that I get to do things that are risky, my team gets to do things that are risky.

IGN: So it's not a tie-in to Infinite, it's a different project being built from the ground up sort of thing?

Ken Levine: All I'll say is that it's its own thing, being built from the ground up, yes.

IGN: Okay. Would a BioShock experience in a mobile format, and I don't know if Vita is necessarily a mobile format as an iPad is a mobile format, where the games for an iPad tend to be consumable in five-minute chunks.

Ken Levine: That's not the kind of game I'm going to make. It is a core game. I love my iPad. The games that I play -- Civ Revolution on my iPad, I play 100 Rogues on my iPad -- I tend to play core games. I'm not a huge Fruit Ninja guy, it just doesn't interest me. I respect what those guys do, and obviously they're able to tap into a kind of zeitgeist that is outside what I do, and I respect that a lot, but it's just not me. I'm a core gamer. If you're looking at me to make a game like that, you're probably hiring the wrong dude.
Source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1181628p3.html

StuBurns

Banned
It was always what most people would have assumed I'd imagine. But it's good to hear, it's not going to have a huge budget, and there's no way an exclusive BioShock isn't going to sell into an early 'hardcore' audience with excellent saturation. There'd be no reason to make it as casual game beyond actual desire, at least for the first few years. of the system.

I guess PipeDreamoShock would have been the nightmare.

matmanx1

In Ken I trust. I think the man is a brilliant game designer and anything he has his hands in I will be very interested to try out.

It's nice to see Vita having a good immediate future and pooible long term one. The system seems like it deserves a lot of support considering all the things it is capable of. Should be interesting.

Squalltdx

After being impressed with what I've seen of Infinite so far, it should be pretty neat to see what they try to do with the Vita feature set.

-Pyromaniac- said:
It's nice to see Vita having a good immediate future and pooible long term one. The system seems like it deserves a lot of support considering all the things it is capable of. Should be interesting.

That typo gave me a nice chuckle, caught me off guard while I was drinking

Top Bottom