• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The Lamp said:
Sounds good, thanks. The only thing I wanted to note is that I use a leg press machine, since my gym doesn't have barbells, so they're not real squats, but still.

Good to know about the chest growth compared to the other muscles, now I'm not worried.

I was wondering, though. I know that mass is better gained with lower reps, more weight, right?

So I'm in awkward transitioning stages between moving weights. Is it more beneficial for me to use, for example, a 20 or 25 lbs. dumbbell that I have perfect form and can do 15-20 reps with, or a 30 lbs. dumbbell that I can do about 5-8 reps with, although with shaky form, some momentum involved towards the end, and/or slow or yanky concentric phases?

Should I just work with the heavier weight, even if it's harder and not as pretty, until I can wield it perfectly, or should I work with the lower weight until I can graduate to the higher one without messing up?

This is a big problem in my dumbbell bench presses because just 5 lbs. can make the difference between perfect form for me and struggling to just wobbily push it up.

There should be a range between doing 20 and doing eight. If you are able to DB bench 25lbs fifteen times but only able to get 30's eight times with shaky form then I'm baffled and don't have much advice. It's actually quite hard to believe without seeing it for myself.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm finally got back to the 100s for 6 reps on flat DB chest presses, and 90s for 6 reps on incline DB chest press. Took fucking FOREVER for some reason to get back to it.

And I swear to god it's like right when I turned 29 my body started ache more, and the healing process when injured took forever.

That's strong. Especially for a guy your size. If I remember correctly your only 160lbs. Those are the numbers my training partner hits and he's 170. Well done.

Veezy

que?
I've gotta start eating more. Less than a year ago I was pulling 405 deadlifts for reps. Doing all this cutting has me doing 350 as a five rep max. That's weak. Disgustingly weak. At least I look good.

To cheer myself up, I watched this:
Exercise is now a sport.
And then stumbeled upon this:
Nobody learns anything from Supertraining.

God damn, it smells like smugness. I had no idea pull ups were a sport.

To my crossfitting buddies on the board: don't get angry. Jason Khalipa is still my man crush. Top tier crossfitters are fuckin machines.

Veezy said:
I've gotta start eating more. Less than a year ago I was pulling 405 deadlifts for reps. Doing all this cutting has me doing 350 as a five rep max. That's weak. Disgustingly weak. At least I look good.

To cheer myself up, I watched this:
Exercise is now a sport.
And then stumbeled upon this:
Nobody learns anything from Supertraining.

God damn, it smells like smugness. I had no idea pull ups were a sport.

To my crossfitting buddies on the board: don't get angry. Jason Khalipa is still my man crush. Top tier crossfitters are fuckin machines.
you will enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc
"the deadlift is a part of your dna... an integral aspect of your very being"

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PlF8fT3_Y&feature=youtu.be&t=1m24s#movie_player. my back aches just watching the video.

Enco

Veezy said:
:lol

In what world is 350 weak?

While on the topic of DB flat press - what percentage of the flat barbell bench press should one expect to hit with dumbbells? In my own case, on a good day with my current size (very comparable to Jason's Ultimatum - 5'10" 160lbs), I should be able to BB bench 225x5. Yesterday on dumbbell flat bench, I got 6 reps with the 90s.

I felt like I could have gotten a few reps on the 95s but I couldn't get them into place. I alternate flat BB and DB weekly based on a workout that Cooter gave me a while ago (thank you, working extremely well).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ready Up Already said:
While on the topic of DB flat press - what percentage of the flat barbell bench press should one expect to hit with dumbbells? In my own case, on a good day with my current size (very comparable to Jason's Ultimatum - 5'10" 160lbs), I should be able to BB bench 225x5. Yesterday on dumbbell flat bench, I got 6 reps with the 90s.

I felt like I could have gotten a few reps on the 95s but I couldn't get them into place. I alternate flat BB and DB weekly based on a workout that Cooter gave me a while ago (thank you, working extremely well).
Glad it's working for you. I'm not sure if there is a clear answer to your question. There is more shoulder involved in DB press IMO. Right now I get 130x4 on DB's and 275x4 on BB. I'd say stop sweating it and maybe add some more shoulder and tri work if you are looking to increase DB bench. Also it is crucial to have a spotter help you when you start getting that heavy.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
but we need face pics, too.

Check the "Show your gf etc" thread. She's the only white girl in a sari
lol.gif

Back is feeling better...really need to stretch more consistently. Gonna lift tomorrow and maybe start my new routine next week.

I don't think I'm 160 anymore. I've been eating half a cup of rice mixed in with my chicken for lunch everyday. I think the added carbs is helping, or maybe not. I'm adding more muscle while keeping my body fat % down. People have been asking me if I'm on anything, but I find it odd because I'm lean and ripped. I'm not a monster.

And I'm squatting twice a week. Mondays and Fridays. Feels good man.

Avant

Neo Member
Hey Gaf I've been lurking this thread for a while and reading from different sites and now I want start lifting seriously. Can you rate my routine? I'll probably be bulking till next summer at 2600 cals. Currently at 140 lb at 5'7.

Monday
Squat: 3 x 5
Bench: 3 x 5
Standing Military Press: 3 x 5
Decline Bench Press: 3 x 5

Tuesday
Chins-ups: 3 x 6-8
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3 x 6-8
Lat Pull down: 3 x 8-12
Dumbbell Curls: 3 x 6-8
Preacher Curls: 3 x 8-12
Hammer Curls: 3 x 6-8

Wednesday
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 x 6-8
Dumbbell Flies: 3 x 8-12
Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 x 6-8
Skull Crushers: 3 x 6-8
Triceps Pull downs: 3 x 8-12
Dips: 3 x 6-8

Thursday
Dead Lift: 1 x 5
Barbell Row: 3 x 5
Pull-ups: 3 x 6-8
Standing Preacher Curls: 3 x 5

Avant said:
Hey Gaf I've been lurking this thread for a while and reading from different sites and now I want start lifting seriously. Can you rate my routine? I'll probably be bulking till next summer at 2600 cals. Currently at 140 lb at 5'7.

Monday
Squat: 3 x 5
Bench: 3 x 5
Standing Military Press: 3 x 5
Decline Bench Press: 3 x 5

Tuesday
Chins-ups: 3 x 6-8
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3 x 6-8
Lat Pull down: 3 x 8-12
Dumbbell Curls: 3 x 6-8
Preacher Curls: 3 x 8-12
Hammer Curls: 3 x 6-8

Wednesday
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 x 6-8
Dumbbell Flies: 3 x 8-12
Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 x 6-8
Skull Crushers: 3 x 6-8
Triceps Pull downs: 3 x 8-12
Dips: 3 x 6-8

Thursday
Dead Lift: 1 x 5
Barbell Row: 3 x 5
Pull-ups: 3 x 6-8
Standing Preacher Curls: 3 x 5

Thats a lot of volume, and each day is too specialized for a beginner. You should really do a full body workout every WO day. Be sure to start with heavy, compound lifts, and progress towards the isolation exercises, dips should come before skull crushers, for instance.

I've been doing this a year now and I still have a much more simple schedule than you:

Workout A
Bench
Squat
Pullups
Curls

Workout B
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Cable Row
Corework

I get in and out in an hour if I'm not waiting on equipment and I promise its more effective.

You don't have to do exactly what I do, honesty Monday isn't too bad. Just make the rest of your days like that - 4 different, heavy, compound lifts.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Finally tried free weight squats for the first time yesterday thanks to Shogun and Parrot. Man, that was awesome. It felt good to know I was doing the correct exercise with proper form. The weight I used wasn't that much less than my smith squats (230 for smith, 175 for free, although I feel like I could do more).

And the low bar position made it so that I had almost zero pressure on my spine.

Oh and I did Deadlifts barefoot yesterday. So gooooood.

MjFrancis

I wasn't totally into it yesterday at the gym, but thankfully a swole meathead stopped me in between sets of one-leg squats and complimented me on that feat. I tell you, I'll get the odd compliment here and there, but people come out of the woodwork with a lot of support when I'm repping that one-leg squat. I usually characterize myself as having quiet determination and a nonchalant demeanor, but with ego massaging like that it really kicks my humility in the balls.

Feels good.

abuC

Ready Up Already said:

In my experience I've been able to lift 50-75lbs heavier on barbel. I was doing 120x7x3 a month ago and made the switch to barbell where I can do 285x6x3. I'd much rather stick to DB but my gym stops at 120.

Domino Theory said:
Finally tried free weight squats for the first time yesterday thanks to Shogun and Parrot. Man, that was awesome. It felt good to know I was doing the correct exercise with proper form. The weight I used wasn't that much less than my smith squats (230 for smith, 175 for free, although I feel like I could do more).
Cool, glad you enjoyed it! I love squats. You'll probably continue to modify the form as you go heavier. I found my bar position and where my hands are changes also, sometimes in the same session.

MjFrancis said:
I usually characterize myself as having quiet determination and a nonchalant demeanor, but with ego massaging like that it really kicks my humility in the balls.
g1yK2.jpg

To continue the hot girls lifting: http://www.youtube.com/user/burningcactai

Crazy arch on her bench but I guess that's for competition. She also seems to have a butt wink on her squat, and pulls her head back a lot, but whatever, she's strong as hell.

Veezy

que?
TheRagnCajun said:
If your strength lowers but your strength-to-bodyweight ratio improves I'd call that a win.
True. I did 270*5, 315*3, and then 340*4. 3655lbs of volume in deadlifts over ten minutes isn't too bad.

I still haven’t' decided if I'm going to do a deload week or go straight into my new month of 5/3/1.

Something I wanted to recommend to everybody is the Jefit Pro app I bought from the Android app store. I've never used something that was so convenient for tracking my numbers on any exercise I can think of. Plus, seeing a graph of my lifts is kinda cool. Everything you track, should you wish, is stored online so you can access the information there, too. I've found it incredibly valuable and it's saved several trees.

ezrarh

I don't know if it's the heat or what but I am exceptionally tired today at the end of work. About to head off to the gym and hopefully will feel better after warmup. Deadlift day too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:

And the low bar position made it so that I had almost zero pressure on my spine.

Oh and I did Deadlifts barefoot yesterday. So gooooood.

Glad to hear it bud.

Back on the Vibrams and getting rid of heel strike running. Jesus christ, I'm gonna have to relearn how to run and get re accustomed to running.

It's like starting all over again, fuck me.

parrotbeak said:
g1yK2.jpg

To continue the hot girls lifting: http://www.youtube.com/user/burningcactai

Crazy arch on her bench but I guess that's for competition. She also seems to have a butt wink on her squat, and pulls her head back a lot, but whatever, she's strong as hell.

Look at that fat ass judge.

Alienshogun said:
Back on the Vibrams and getting rid of heel strike running. Jesus christ, I'm gonna have to relearn how to run and get re accustomed to running.

It's like starting all over again, fuck me.

How's your feet doing?

Enco

Veezy said:
Eh, when you drop down in strength it can hurt your ego a bit. At least I can still pull 405 for a single.
Sure it can but to say that it's disgustingly weak is ridiculous.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
parrotbeak said:
How's your feet doing?

The arches/ball get sore very quick. I used to run .75 and 1.5 miles alternating to condition for police exams. Now I do half (if that) of both of those because I don't want to break my feet. Everything I've read says slowly work up and faster over 6 weeks.

Once my feet start getting sore I stop, but then there's learning forefoot running to correct heel strike running, and that actually has me getting winded faster, not sure why since it's supposed to be more efficient.

Enco

reilo said:
Wtf at 1:35? Is she wearing a backback on her upper back or is really sticking out that much? Geez.
The top comment on youtube :lol
Their deadlift form is awesome. When they are crippled later in life it will be worth it for having ~~*Elite Fitness*~~

That was disturbing to watch.

Petrie

Banned
Height: 5'9
Weight: 175
Goal: Gain mass, keep fat to a minimum
Current Training Schedule: This is the program my buddy who has been doing this seriously for years, going so far as to be competing in his first IBF event in the Fall, has me on. I think it may be too specialized and holding me back from progressing as fast as I could though:

Sunday - Chest and Triceps

Chest
4 sets incline bench press
4 sets flat bench press
4 sets decline bench press
4 sets butterflies (alternate between machine and dumbells each week)
2 sets cable cross
Triceps
4 sets reverse grip bench
4 sets dips (no weight)
4 sets basic skull-crushers
4 sets tricep extension

Monday Workout - Legs and Abs

Legs
4 sets squats
4 sets leg press
4 sets leg extension + superset hamstring curl
4 sets calf raises
Abs
Crunches and Seated Leg extensions

Wednesday Workout - Back and Biceps

Back
4 sets bent over rows
4 sets lat pulldowns
4 sets close grip pulldown
4 sets seated cable row
4 sets single dumbell row
Biceps
4 sets dumbell/straight bar curls
4 sets preacher curl
4 sets running men (30 secs each 10 lbs)

Thursday or Friday Workout - Shoulders and Trapezius

Shoulders
4 sets military press
4 sets single lateral raise
4 sets arnold presses
4 sets bent over raises

Traps
4 sets shrugs (alternate front then side) [heavy]
4 sets upright rows [heavy]

Comments: I'm also doing 20 minutes of cardio afterwards each of these days and every day but Tuesday, which he instructed me to use as an "off-day". I has gained somewhat of a belly in the last few years since being diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic I had sort've let myself go. I've dropped some weight as well as noticing some definite results, but have a feeling I might be able to do more. Just looking for some advice to see if I can progress faster. Eating clean for the most part, brown rice with chicken, salmon, or tilapia, eggs, turkey bacon, shakes made with the Gold Standard protein recommended a few pages back, though cheating occasional with pizza (trying to cut that back to less than once a week, but currently about once a week). I've been trying to do the milk thing, but I'm definitely as least mildly lactose intolerant and it's rough on the people around me, so I have to try and have some other sources of protein when people are around.

Veezy

que?
parrotbeak said:
If you're a coach or trainer, how can you in good conscience allow your athlete to continue lifting like that?
'Cause it's 'leet fitness. You wouldn't understand.

They said we'd never be accepted.

They said we'd never be a sport.

Now look at us.

We're fitness roll models.

You hate, becuase you don't understand.

You hate, because you wish you could be 'leet like us.

You hate, becuase you don't have a hundred dollar zip up hoodie.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Petrie said:
Current Training Schedule: This is the program my buddy who has been doing this seriously for years, going so far as to be competing in his first IBF event in the Fall, has me on. I think it may be too specialized and holding me back from progressing as fast as I could though:

Chest
4 sets flat bench press
2 sets cable cross
Triceps
4 sets dips (no weight)
4 sets tricep extension
Current Training Equipment Available:

Legs
4 sets squats
4 sets leg press
4 sets calf raises
Abs

Back
4 sets bent over rows
4 sets lat pulldowns
4 sets seated cable row
Biceps
4 sets preacher curl

Shoulders
4 sets military press
4 sets arnold presses
4 sets bent over raises

Traps

Comments: I'm also doing 20 minutes of cardio afterwards each of these days and every day but Tuesday, which he instructed me to use as an "off-day". I has gained somewhat of a belly in the last few years since being diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic I had sort've let myself go. I've dropped some weight as well as noticing some definite results, but have a feeling I might be able to do more. Just looking for some advice to see if I can progress faster. Eating clean for the most part, brown rice with chicken, salmon, or tilapia, eggs, turkey bacon, shakes made with the Gold Standard protein recommended a few pages back, though cheating occasional with pizza (trying to cut that back to less than once a week, but currently about once a week). I've been trying to do the milk thing, but I'm definitely as least mildly lactose intolerant and it's rough on the people around me, so I have to try and have some other sources of protein when people are around.

Like I said to a previous poster the other day who had a crazy huge routine: you're doing too much.

Lamel

Banned
Petrie said:

Chest
4 sets flat bench press
2 sets cable cross
Triceps
4 sets dips (no weight)
4 sets tricep extension
Current Training Equipment Available:

Legs
4 sets squats
4 sets leg press
4 sets calf raises
Abs

Back
4 sets bent over rows
4 sets lat pulldowns
4 sets seated cable row
Biceps
4 sets preacher curl

Shoulders
4 sets military press
4 sets arnold presses
4 sets bent over raises

Traps

That is A LOT of working out, too much even. Especially if you do cardio as well. To do all that you need to eat an immense amount if you want to continue gaining muscle. The cardio just kills away calories and no wonder your progress has halted. You really need to cut back and not do more than 4-5 exercises a day...god damn.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Saadster said:
That is A LOT of working out, too much even. Especially if you do cardio as well. To do all that you need to eat an immense amount if you want to continue gaining muscle. The cardio just kills away calories and no wonder your progress has halted. You really need to cut back and not do more than 4-5 exercises a day...god damn.
He's doing 18 sets for chest exercises alone... I mean, what the hell? Lord knows how many reps he's doing per set, too. He should be doing less than 20 reps total for chest work. And on top of that, he added in another 16 sets of tricep work.

I'm surprised he hasn't torn a muscle yet.

Petrie

Banned
Copernicus said:
That sounds like a workout regime for somebody on steroid and HGH.

Petrie, I assume you mean type2 diabetic.

Nope, type 1 diabetic, meaning the insulin part of working out is all kinds of borked. My buddy told me this was a good "beginner" routine and I guess I shouldn't have trusted his judgement given how long he has been working out he may no longer realize what being a beginner means. What types of changes should I make to my routine then? Sorry for my ignorance...

Luscious LeftFoot said:
IBF? Is that boxing or some sort of bodybuilding competition?

That's a ridiculous amount of volume even for a bodybuilding routine.

I believe International Bodybuilding Federation, I may have the initials and name wrong.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I take it this might be more what I should be doing? Sounds less miserable than the current routine anyways...

I had one of these today and it was good.

WcQUJ.png

Bodybuilding.com provides this easy-to-make version of the popular summer treat. And you better believe it will be packed with muscle-providing protein!

Ingredients:
One box Fat-Free, Sugar-Free Chocolate Jello Pudding powder
2.5 cups of Skim Milk
0.5 cup of Splenda (or your favorite sweetner)
0.5 scoop of chocolate protein powder

Directions: Add all the ingredients together and pour into fudgsicle molds and let freeze forat least 8 hours or overnight.

These will offer you a higher dose of calcium than ice cream as well as be a source of protein – not to mention they’ll be only about 35 calories per pop (assuming a 12 mold container is used).

Aah... so he is bodybuilder. If you're new to training developing a good strength base like the ones in the OP. would be more beneficial to you, before switching over to a hypertrophy type routine.

If you work out together or want to jump directly into a bodybuilding type routine. I'd suggest something like westside for skinny bastards

Petrie

Banned
Luscious LeftFoot said:
Aah... so he is bodybuilder. If you're new to training developing a good strength base like the ones in the OP. would be more beneficial to you, before switching over to a hypertrophy type routine.

If you work out together or want to jump directly into a bodybuilding type routine. I'd suggest something like westside for skinny bastards

We don't workout together, I've just watched him go from scrawny kid to the mass of muscle he is now, so figured any advice he had to give would be valuable. At the very least his suggestions about form and such should prove invaluable.

Could anyone give me some advice on a proper starting weight for deadlifts? I've never really done them before and would like to incorporate them, but don't really know where to begin.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I had one of these today and it was good.

WcQUJ.png

Where would I find molds such as these? Amazon doesn't seem to have anything like what I'm looking for, only one result in a search there.

The Lamp

parrotbeak said:
It's why I mainly strength train with bbs and use lighter dbs during rest weeks, rather than as a regular strength training -- you're really increasing by 10 lbs total, unlike with bbs where you can do 5 lb increments, and even that can be really tough. How many reps of the 30 lb can you do with good form? I would probably just do that, and alternate with the 25 lbs.

What's your program again?

With the 30 lbs. DB it depends on the exercise...I think with bench pressing I can do like 4 or 5 reps with good form before it's all shaky from there. I don't remember. Maybe inbetween that. Maybe I said 8, but I'll actually have to go to the gym today and count lol.

I made my own program but I think it's time to shift it up since it's been a month. I started working out exactly one month ago, and I'm trying to gain mass. I found a bodybuilder website or something that said to try a work-out with 1 set of 8-10 reps per exercise of the most weight you can handle. I thought that was easy enough to follow since I would be less inclined to lazy out of the weight room if I could rationalize in my head "hey, even if it's an exercise I hate, it's just 1 set...I can do it.."

Generally, 3 (or sometimes 2) times a week I go to the gym and do this (everything is one set):

Leg press/squat - 8-10 reps
Calf raises - 8-10 reps
Leg extensions - 8-10 reps
Leg curls - 8-10 reps

Bench press - 8-10 reps
Chest flys - 8-10 reps
Military press - 8-10 reps
Shoulder flys - 8-10 reps
Bicep curls - 8-10 reps
Tricep extensions 8-10 reps

DB side-ups - 20 reps (since the highest DB is 50 lbs. at my little gym and that's too light now)
Resistance twists - 8-10 reps
Weighted crunches - 8-10 reps
Lat pull-down 8-10 reps
Shrugs - 8-10 reps
Deadlifts - 8-10 reps

Sometimes I drop an exercise or two on a workout day if I'm not feeling it (if my shoulders are killing me, I might not do shrugs. If I've beasted my legs in the previous exercises, I might not do deadlift. etc.)

I think it's time to try some new exercises so my results don't plateau.

I want to get more back/ab exercises. Does anyone know a good way to get weighted ab/core/obliques exercises? I can't do resistance twists anymore because someone broke the handles on the machine and the ab machine for weighted crunches is terrible.

Petrie said:
We don't workout together, I've just watched him go from scrawny kid to the mass of muscle he is now, so figured any advice he had to give would be valuable. At the very least his suggestions about form and such should prove invaluable.

Could anyone give me some advice on a proper starting weight for deadlifts? I've never really done them before and would like to incorporate them, but don't really know where to begin.

Where would I find molds such as these? Amazon doesn't seem to have anything like what I'm looking for, only one result in a search there.

I'm sure your Wal Marts and Targets have them.

-viper-

Banned
reilo said:
He's doing 18 sets for chest exercises alone... I mean, what the hell? Lord knows how many reps he's doing per set, too. He should be doing less than 20 reps total for chest work. And on top of that, he added in another 16 sets of tricep work.

I'm surprised he hasn't torn a muscle yet.
I do far less exercises so my routine looks pretty simple...

Weighted chinups or pullups
Weighted dips
Bench
Deadlift
Front Squat
Dumbbell Curl
Shoulder Press
Bent Over Raises
Dumbbell Row

Is this ok?

Veezy

que?
The Lamp:

Dumbbell side bends, weight behind the head weighted sit ups, hanging leg/knee raises.

Your program seems complicated. SS or Grayskull would probably work better for you if you're just starting out. If you're looking for more of a body builder routine, do the Grayskull program as outlined except:

Days that your press, do chins/weighted chins 2x5 1xAMRAP, once you can do 10 easily start adding weight
Days that you bench, do curls 2x8-10 1xAMRAP go up 2.5 lbs per session

Doing all the things isn't really a good program because you don't know what's working/what improvements you're making. It's great you're having gains, but if you're not focused, you'll end up doing too much or not using your time efficiently. Have you thought about what program you’d like to switch to?

viper:

Are you doing that every day you go in?

-viper-

Banned
Lol, no - not on the same day! I just listed 'all' exercises I do. One day I'll do arms, other day shoulders/legs, and other day chest/back.

Anth0ny

reilo said:
Like I said to a previous poster the other day who had a crazy huge routine: you're doing too much.

shiiiiiiiiiit

My chest workout is:

3 sets of dumbbell press (8-10 reps)
3 sets of incline dumbbell press (8-10 reps)
3 sets of decline dumbbell press (8-10 reps)
3 sets of dubbell flys (8-10 reps)
9 sets of cable flys (3 sets low, 3 sets middle, 3 sets high) (10 reps)

I also do back on chest day:

3 sets of lat pulldowns (8-10 reps)
3 sets of deadlifts (10 reps)

While I'm at it, bis and tris:

3 sets of alternating dumbbell curls (8-10 reps)
3 sets of barbell curls (8-10 reps)
3 sets of concentration curls (8-10 reps)

3 sets of weighted dips (8-10 reps)
3 sets of tricep kickbacks (8-10 reps)
3 sets of tricep pulldowns (8-10 reps)

I also do 20 minutes of abs and 30 minutes of cardio every workout (every other day)

From the sounds of it, this is way too much. What should I cut out?

kehs

Banned
Petrie said:

Load barbell with 3/4 of your body weight, if you can break through 15 reps, add weight in 10% increments until you get to a weight where the last rep of 15 is a struggle. Use that weight to help your form. Once you feel comfortable with that weight start adding until you're in the 5-8 rep range to narrow down your actual lifting weight.

Always worry about form and comfort with an exercise before you worry about making gains.

Petrie said:
I'm trying to figure this out, this is a beginner routine correct? I'd wager most beginners much like myself can't even bust out ONE pullup, let alone the 24-45 in this routine. This is the stuff that led me to go to my buddy rather than take on something like this.

Pull ups are funny exercise, depending on your body proportions, some beginners have no problems, some do. If you can't do them focus on being able to do them. If you can do them with ease, use them to pad out your overall workout regimen.

Petrie

Banned
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I'm trying to figure this out, this is a beginner routine correct? I'd wager most beginners much like myself can't even bust out ONE pullup, let alone the 24-45 in this routine. This is the stuff that led me to go to my buddy rather than take on something like this.

Veezy

que?
-viper- said:
Lol, no - not on the same day! I just listed 'all' exercises I do. One day I'll do arms, other day shoulders/legs, and other day chest/back.
*whew* I got a little concerned.

Seems solid for a basic split. May wanna swap the front squat for a back squat since I don't see you doing anything else on that list for your hams/glutes and FSs are really quad dominant. I assume you do your deadlift on your back day?

ezrarh

Petrie said:

Just do assisted pullups when you start out and slowly reduce the amount of weight you use until you don't need assistance anymore. And that workout he posted is pretty standard for beginners that want to get stronger/bigger most efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom