• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Twinduct said:
Isn't edge a magazine though? Do they have a website at which they gather clicks by posting their reviews?
They post reviews to their website on occasion.

But uhmmm...I can't help but think that I'm missing something here. The heck you talking about Georama?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm no fan of Jim Sterling, but did anyone actually read the review? He raises some valid puts, if indeed they are true. Either way, even if your interactivity is heavily limited, the game looks unique enough to purchase. Unfortunately, I now have to wait until mid-August!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Zefah said:
I'm no fan of Jim Sterling, but did anyone actually read the review? He raises some valid puts, if indeed they are true. Either way, even if your interactivity is heavily limited, the game looks unique enough to purchase. Unfortunately, I now have to wait until mid-August!

His 'valid points' demonstrate a complete lack of understanding about what makes this type of game fun.

Twinduct

PepsimanVsJoe said:
They post reviews to their website on occasion.

But uhmmm...I can't help but think that I'm missing something here. The heck you talking about Georama?

I think he's saying that edge is also giving bad scores to get clicks. But I think he's missing the point. One gives scores on a very strict system, the other makes shit up to see how 'controversial' they can be .. and of course have that translate over to getting more attention.

Ok taking all reviews so far into consideration, it seems that the average will suggest that this game is good not great objectively speaking of course...

I was hoping for great but this is ok i guess, maybe i will love it when i get to play :)

Still buying though for PC once it's out that is...

Twinduct

Zefah said:

Comparing the game to SimCity and lemmings? It's pretty clear that Jim sterling has no understanding of the genre the game is in.

GeoramA said:
Then we'll have to ban Edge too.

But Edge's grading system is a little different in which a 5 is seen as average while a 7 is usually seen as average in other systems. Which is why scores are usually lower from them.

Gong

wutwutwut said:
So your only real complaint is that M+KB would be better suited to the game? Works for me!

Yeah pretty much, you do get used to it but I wish they'd refined the controls a tiny bit more for console. Not a deal breaker in any way, shape or form though, such a great game.

Thought I should write up some impressions of the game, now that the embargo is up and I’ve actually finished it.

The important stuff:

- There is not a time limit on all of the levels, there is not a ”you have to finish it within four minutes” ever. There is in some levels intervals at which things will happen (volcano explosions, floods, rainfall and so on), but they all play into the main gameplay and how you progress.

- There’s more to the game then just moving dirt, lava and water around. You get new powers like evaporating all water, turning it into jelly and the likes.

- Each level only lets you a maximum of four powers chosen by the game, and you unlock them as your tribe gets ahold of the different totems placed around the level.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. The mechanics are clever, interesting and the physics makes it really fun to finish a level in the way you personally think is the smartest, and the game really supports that which is amazing.

Giving so much focus on player decision really opens up the game on so many levels, and talking to a few friends who also played it, and hearing how they would approach a scenario is fascinating, and it’s great to hear how flexible the game systems actually are when put into use.

My one main problem with the game is that the pathfinding for your villagers can every now and then be absolute shit. And you have to very precisely manipulate the environment so that they can progress to a totem or their goal.
The game ends in a way that they could easily continue it via DLC, and I hope they do because there is so much potential left in this game, that they could easily turn it into something much more complex without adding any of the RTS elements from Black & White or the likes.

And adding to the controller/kbm discussion: The game uses the analog trigger to adjust how much of whatever is in your ”hand” to drop at a time, which I can’t imagine would be easy to replicate on a mouse, since it doesn’t have analog triggers/buttons, but maybe that will be adjusted in that stuff will simply drip out slower in the PC version when it ships.

We also did some footage from the game, essentially continuing straight after where the Giantbomb video left off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4AqQtir8_E

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LiK said:
The fuck. I bought points to buy Summer Arcade stuff....stupid MS
You can still use points on xbox or xbox.com, just not through that website for that deal.

Big One

Banned
My only disappointment is that this game lacks real RTS elements. This would be amazing if it had the RTS elements from Populous: The Beginning.

Twinduct

Big One said:
My only disappointment is that this game lacks real RTS elements. This would be amazing if it had the RTS elements from Populous: The Beginning.

Yep. That's what I'm hoping the evolution of the game is.

tjohn86

If I buy it from the microsoft store to get the maw will it count towards the "buy all 5 SOTA games and get crimson alliance free" promotion?

Big One said:
No offense but I'm glad it doesn't. I don't care for RTS's but I like god games.

Neuromancer said:
No offense but I'm glad it doesn't. I don't care for RTS's but I like god games.

It really wouldn't fit well with the current systems and mechanics in the game. It would have to be a totally different experience and design if it were to have a more complex structure.

And as it stands right now, it's perfectly fine for what it is, and that is a puzzle god game and not an RTS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Vinterbird said:
And adding to the controller/kbm discussion: The game uses the analog trigger to adjust how much of whatever is in your ”hand” to drop at a time, which I can’t imagine would be easy to replicate on a mouse, since it doesn’t have analog triggers/buttons, but maybe that will be adjusted in that stuff will simply drip out slower in the PC version when it ships.

Mouse wheel?

Posted?

From Dust: http://store.steampowered.com/app/33460/

System Requirements:

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz / AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ 2.3 Ghz
Memory: 1 GB (XP) / 2GB (Vista/Windows7)
Graphics: 256 mb / shader 3.0 GeForce 8800 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3000+
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0 –compliant sound card
Peripherals: Keyboard, mouse, optional controller * This product does not support Windows® 98/ME/2000/NT

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 3.00 Ghz
Memory: 3 GB DDR3
Graphics: 512 MB / GeForce 9 or ATI Radeon HD 4000 series
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0 –compliant sound card
Peripherals: Keyboard, Mouse, joystick optional (Xbox 360® Controller for Windows recommended) * This product does not support Windows® 98/ME/2000/NT

SteveWinwood said:
What whyyyyyyyy fuckin ubisoft asshats

No reason:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/25/from-dust-pc-launch-delayed-one-month-available-aug-17/

Eric Chahi's upcoming experiment in nature manipulation, From Dust, won't arrive on PCs until mid-August. The company confirmed as much to Joystiq this afternoon, specifically noting, "From Dust will hit XBLA this Wednesday and will release on PC on Wednesday, August 17."

That's just three weeks until the game arrives on PC -- more than enough time to practice your lava redirection and bridge carving techniques with a mouse.

BluWacky

Neuromancer said:
No I haven't. It sounded very combat intensive though which isn't necessarily my cup of tea.

It's quite combat heavy but it's nowhere near as focused on the nitty gritty as something like Starcraft - it's easy to produce massive numbers of units and tactics aren't especially complicated. You also get to zap people with your divine powers and roast their villages with volcanos, so that's something.

One of my favourite PC games.

Buy from me tomorrow. Love Populous and Black & White. Incidentally I have Thursday, so big From Dust gaming session coming up! Assuming it's not terrible.

Lima

Only a couple hours to go now. Gonna buy this without even trying the demo. The quick look on giantbomb sold me on this game.

PjotrStroganov said:
Are there issues?
Well according to the GiantBomb review, the analog sticks + camera issues cause placement of lava trenches/water/etc to be imprecise enough to cause frequent accidental damage.

Top Bottom