• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #80 - "Devil's In the Details"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Devil's In the Details"

Word Limit: 2100

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, August 10th by 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Thursday, August 11th, and goes until Sunday, August 14th at 11:59 PM PST.

Optional Secondary Objective: Religious Text

Take inspiration from any religious text of your choice.

Optional Tertiary Objective: Chatty Narrator

Have the narrator talk to the reader at least for a portion of the story. (a la Dostoevsky)

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

The Entries:

Cyan - "Angel"
John Dunbar - "Jesus in Toast"
Ashes1396 - "From Dark Places"

ronito

Holy crap. This is right up my alley. Sadly, I'll probably need to sit a few of these out. Outside projects are ramping up meaning time for these is ramping down.

Tangent

Irish said:
Aw man... not really feeling it. :/ Might be able to come up with something though.

Honestly, I have no idea what to write either. But it just sounded punchy and I was hoping it'd offer some inspiration. Give it a few days, Irish. Maybe something will pop up.

iavi

This is right up my alley. I'm in on this one.

e: 2100 is such an odd word cap to choose, lol.

e2: I'm going to go ahead an link to the new/current poetry challenge. Short-storyGAF should join in HERE.

Irish

You guys are all allowed to submit whatever you like; however, I am the only one who will be voting this time around.

Cyan

Banned
Angel

They say the devil's in the details. Hellfire runnin' up through the fingertips all day while you go about your life. Flames that sear right down to the soul.

You can't escape it.

I tried to, once. Or twice. That's what got me locked up in here. Part of it, anywise. Mainly it was the man. The man with all the details in the world.

Met the man when I was a kid, all proud as can be goin' off to school. No more than ten years old, as I recall. There I was, walkin' off through the trees, away to school in my bright and shiny new uniform, bag on my shoulder and tossing an apple from hand to hand. One minute there was no one else there on the path, next there was. A distinguished looking gentleman; curled mustache, sharp beard, salt-and-pepper hair, in a twenty-dollar suit and carrying a briefcase.

"Howdy," says the gent, and "Howdy, sir," says I.

He gives me a look, one of them looks your mother gives you when you done somethin' wrong. The kind that pierces right to your heart. "You believe in guardian angels, son?" he says.

Well, I was a good Sunday School boy, so I nodded. "You an angel?"

He laughs and gives me a toothy grin, and then he steals my apple.

Just as I'm all het up, ready to chase after him, he turns around and says, "You'll see." Then he vanishes. Quicker than you can snap your fingers.

Sure enough, later that day, one of the other boys choked on an apple and near died. Only thing saved him was me giving him a mighty wallop on the back. If it had been me choked on that apple? Wouldn't be here today, I can tell you.

Saw the man again a few years later. Walking down a dusty lane to meet up with Levi and Old Albert, the local hooligans. Cause some trouble.

There I am, walking down the lane, when I see that same curled mustache and sharp beard, that same twenty-dollar suit and briefcase. Just a glimpse, going around a corner. And when I hare off after him, by the time I make the corner he's gone. Not a sign he was ever there.

Well, I don't leave it at that. Don't give up that easily, me. I walk the next few streets, ask after him. No one's seen him. They all smile and nod, and allow as how they'd probably remember a man in a suit wandering around town, yes sir.

Thirty, forty minutes later I stuck my hands in my pockets and walked back down the dusty lane. But I missed Levi and Albert. Not the waiting kind of friends, those boys.

Sure enough, that evening those two get caught breaking into Bill Cooper's back storeroom, where he kept all the liquor. It was the last straw for those two. Shipped off to some military camp or other.

The old gent had saved me a second time.

Well, third time's a charm, they say. Or, third time pays for all. I always expected to see the man again.

Didn't think it'd be on my wedding day.

There I am, outside the church where I've just been married, just takin' a breather with a cigarette, when there he is.

I saw him in the reflection off the church window, passing by along the road towards town. The beard, the mustache, the suit, the briefcase. Would've remembered that man anywhere. Well of course I hare off right after him.

He walked awful fast, so every time I thought I had a chance to catch him, I'd turn a corner and find he was ahead of me again. But he didn't disappear so quick this time. I kept seeing him, glimpses well ahead of me, where I couldn't make him out quite proper.

I was desperate to catch him, so I start running flat out. But he still doesn't get any closer. Finally, right when I'm coming up to another corner, I stop. And I pray out loud. "Lord," I say. "Let me find your angel."

This time, I turn the corner and he's there. Standing under a barber shop awning, and he's looking back at me. Same toothy smile he gave me right before he stole my apple. "Son," he says. "There ain't no such thing as guardian angels." He walks into the barber shop, but of course when I walk up to the door he's gone.

Well, I've been away an awful long time now, so I hitch a ride back to the church where I've just been married.

It's on fire.

Burnin', ragin', flamin' inferno. Drops of fire spilled out on all sides, and the heat blasted my face.

That damned man had saved my life again.

And ruined it.

Because who could believe me? Who could believe a man would run off after his own wedding to chase guardian angels, when his new bride is still in the church? No. Easier for them to say they don't believe. Easier to shut their eyes and close their ears and say it was me.

But you. You're different.

You believe me, don't you?

Cyan

Banned
Probably won't vote this time. Will be away from internet for a while.

See you cool cats later. Don't burn the place down while I'm gone!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Jesus in Toast
(1,650 words)

Everyone needs a goal. Something to strive for, to give purpose in their life. For Alfred it was a simple idea. He had seen it on TV and the Internet, and now he wanted it to happen to him: he wanted Jesus to appear in his toast.

He had carefully timed his toaster, as well as diligently tested the various methods of placing the slice of bread in the fiery crevices of the device, to achieve the ideal burning area. But alas, so far there had been no sign of the morning messiah deigning to appear in his breakfast. Not one to be discouraged by setbacks, however, Alfred turned to scripture for guidance, and found the words that led him to enjoy toast during all his meals: But he said to me: ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Every morning, noon and night, as he pushed down the lever of his toaster, he pictured with sweaty, trembling palms the marvellous moment he knew would one day come, like a compulsive gambler scratching a ticket; and in front of his bathroom mirror he practised by dramatically pointing his finger at an unhallowed piece of toast and exclaiming ‘Jesus, you’re goin’ in mah belly!’

One Saturday morning Alfred was preparing a shopping list with a regrettably secular piece of toast in one hand when a thud originating from the windowsill roused his attention. His black and white half-Siamese-half-stray cat had expressed its desire to be allowed to enter after a night of absence.

“Come in, come in, Mr. Whiskers,” he said as he opened the window. “Welcome back to your humble abode. I trust everything is to your liking?”

The cat made no answer, and instead made its way across the table to a foil that but a moment ago had housed a succulent blueberry pie; on weekends Alfred allowed himself to indulge in treats that had little to no chance of resulting in a holy apparition.

With his list complete, Alfred was ready to head to buy the provisions for the coming week. He stopped to bid farewell to his companion, who had made his way to stretch out on the floor of the vestibule, with a quick pat: such thoughtfulness was returned with a hiss and a swift scratch that left crimson cuts on the back of poor Alfred’s hand.

”Well I never!” Alfred cried out. “Mr. Whiskers, I do declare you to be the ghastliest beast I have ever had the misfortune to be acquainted with! Every day I fret you will take after that mongrel of a father of yours who scandalised an entire respectable family by seducing your beautiful and gracious mother.”

At the door Alfred stopped and gave Mr. Whiskers one more look of chagrin as the cat stared right back at him with audacious eyes, its tail as thick as a pom-pon.

“For shame, Mr. Whiskers,” he said with a disappointed shake of his head as he went out. “For shame.”

At the store Alfred was making his selections while doing his best to put Mr. Whisker’s ignominious behaviour out of his mind. He was gathering the usual supplies for his quest, as well as some potato chips for good measure: naturally he did not expect to find the face of the saviour on them; scanning each chip before savouring the salty crunch was merely a delightful addition to his weekend film viewing tradition.

As he brought his provisions to the check-out and was about to unload his purchases in front of the check-out girl - whom Alfred felt could have looked a bit like Jesus, had she had brown hair instead of blonde, and had had a beard and a moustache - he stopped by a magazine rack to peruse the headlines. One cover caught his eye: a minor headline a tad to the south-east of a pair of buxom pair of breast on a ladies’ magazine read: ‘Religion in Relationships: Friend or Foe?’ He could not resist the urge to find out how someone could write such blasphemous drivel. He put down his basket and grabbed the issue, anxiously leafing through the pages to find the abominable article: consulting the contents page did not dawn on him in his vexation.

“Sir,” he heard the voice of the check-our girl say. “You can’t do that.”

Displeased that his righteous search was thus disrupted, he lifted his eyes from the pages to give the insolent girl such a glare of disapproval as to make her wish she had found another summer job. But the look of anger quickly turned to one of shock and disbelief; the face of the blonde girl had altered significantly. Above the collar of the green cashier’s uniform he saw a moist triangular nose, long whiskers like strings of a violin that glittered with the light they caught, and cavernous ears with fleshy ridges running through their hairy interior. Yes, there could be no mistake: Alfred was face to face with an enormous cat asking him questions he could not hear.

Alfred shut his eyes tightly and shook his head, but upon opening them he saw the nightmarish visage of the check-out cat as vividly as ever.

“Sir,” it spoke in a nasal voice. “You’re going to have to buy that or put it back.”

His entire body shaking, Alfred dropped the magazine and tumbled backwards, tripping on his basket and with his person brought down the entire magazine rack.

“Sir, are you almeow, meow? Meow!”

Alfred did not stay to answer, but jumped on his feet and ran down the aisles as fast as he could while a barrage of ‘meows’ sounded from behind.

Running frantically down the aisles he would constantly look over his shoulder to make sure the devilish creature was not giving pursuit, and as he did so his body wet with perspiration in its disorientation would crash against the shelves, bringing down various merchandise. But still he kept on running, running and screaming.

Soon his wild antics alerted the attention of the ever-vigilant mall security, and at the end of one the corridors Alfred saw two men in blue uniforms awaiting him; always a welcome sight in distress.

“Thank God you’re here, officers,” Alfred began in a frantic tone, turning around to signal towards the check-out. “Some unspeakable abomination has taken control of your...” As he turned back to the security he gave a shriek of utter terror: he was suddenly faced with two more catmen, both observing him through the narrow slits of their cruel eyes. He turned to run, but was so overwhelmed with fright he lost his bearings and tripped on his feet. Too terror-stricken to getup, but determined to continue his daring but desperate escape, he crawled away on all fours. Behind him he heard approaching foot steps and infernal meows, until he felt something faintly touch his leg. Screaming he flipped around, to better fight off his assailant, and now flat on his back he was furiously flailing his arms and legs. One of the cat security tried to get a hold of his out-of-control legs, while the other stood back and meowed something to his partner.

From the floor Alfred saw an upside down cat family at the other end of the aisle, theirs kittens hissing and pointing at him. Finally the guard managed to grab his ankles, and began to pull him across the floor.

“Unhand me, you fiend!” Alfred screamed, but did not receive a legible answer, nor did his captor release his legs.

In desperation he reached for the shelves that now passed him by in rapid succession, and managed to grab the handle of a heavy metal pot. He raised it, intending to hurl it at the guards in a last heroic attempt to vanquish his feline foes. But as the pot was above his head, in its silvery surface he saw blurrily pliant whiskers, a flat nose and a pair of emotionless green eyes. One final shriek of terror as the metal and the terrible reflection came crashing down from his enfeebled fingers; unconsciousness followed.

A haggard figure made his way through the breakfast line of the St. Jude's Asylum. Several months had passed since Alfred’s supermarket adventure, and he had been most gently forced to take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and to take advantage of the hospitality of St. Jude’s.

He brought his tray to a table by the window, which was most cordially barred with a white iron grating in many pleasing shapes: upon his arrival the triangles had been particularly upsetting, but he had made good progress and could now sit next to them with mere disquietude. His tray was laden with a most bountiful meal: a big bowl of oat meal, a glass of orange juice, and two slices of toast burnt to a crisp.

Alfred took the uppermost piece of toast and was about to splatter it with margarine when his eye caught the slice below. He stared at it in wonder. The top and the sides of it were only slightly burnt, giving the dark centre form the appearance of illumination, a halo. The burnt form itself was a face, a kind and proud countenance that invited respect without demanding it, bathed in shadows. Alfred looked at it long and hard. It was everything he had thought it would be, and nothing he had hoped for.

He took his plastic butter knife and scraped the dark flakes from the slice like mould from cheese. He smiled as he admired the results: an indistinct patch of white bread surrounded by a divine yellow glow.

Ashes

Banned
From Dark Places

Aziz ran down the street using the palm of his hands to muffle the sound of thoughts emanating from people passing by.

“Stop it,” he cried. “Stop thinking. All of you.”

Passers by shot him with peculiar quizzical looks.

Muslim >> Peace >> terrorist >>

“Shut up,” he shouted. “Shut up all of you”

He ran past a café, catching only a momentary glance of a waitress writing down her orders.

Muslim >> backward >> medieval >> bin bag wearers.

Aziz's head hurt. He could feel himself bleeding, though not visibly.

Tourists taking photographs of a statue to his left paused to stare at him.

“Are you okay fella?” a camera holding man asked in his Irish accent with genuine concern.

Aziz looked at him.

Are you okay? >> poor fellah >> We can get along >> but if they would only read up their koran >> horrible horrible book >> sheep >> blind faith >> ignorant >> stupid >> if they would read up on..

“Get away from me,” Aziz shouted. “Hypocrite. Don't touch me. You're the ignorant hypocrite. Blind wretched fool. Just shut up. ”

“I didn't say anything,” the stranger said to another passer-by. “I only asked if he was okay,”

Aziz ran off. The voices grew louder and louder.

“Go back to where you came from Arab!”

“I'm not Arab!” Aziz shouted. His eyes were closed as he ran through the middle of the street.

“Paedophile!”

“Be quiet all of you. Leave me alone”

“Homophobe!”

“Warmongering murders!”

“Satan worshippers”

“Raghead! Camel jockey!”

Aziz felt the whole world spin around him. He sat down defeated. His thoughts throbbed with pain.

Then in a sudden jerk, he awoke to the darkness of an unlit room. Slowly, he caught his breath back, and his heart settled back to a calmer stream.

He reached for his glasses and got out of bed to get to the bathroom. When he caught sight of himself in the bathroom mirror, he was so frightened, he fainted. For in the summer heat, he had suffered a nose bleed. The bloodied face in the mask of darkness was altogether too much for him...

…

Aziz had lunch by himself the following day. He looked around the café. People from all four corners of the world came to lunch at this very spot. Everybody minded their own business. And some had the audacity to smile and be gay in the sunshine. Maybe it was the weather, or perhaps it was the waitress her self, but after the lunch was over he tipped almost twenty percent. The Italian waitress smiled at him. Aziz would find her number on the piece of tissue he took with him as he left.

On his way back to work, he got a phone call from a police officer about his little brother. His brother was lost again in Hyde Park.

He found his brother on the cusp of launching a paper boat onto the body of water in front of him. Aziz bent down to his level. His brother hadn't shaved for weeks. And he was wearing a tinfoil hat.

Aziz knew better than to take the cap off without asking. “Ansar. Don't you want to take your cap off. It's such a lovely day.”

“No!” Ansar replied. “I don't want to hear what people think any more.”

Aziz reminisced about the first time Ansar told him about the voices. They had been at their grandparent's house situated somewhere in the English countryside. There was an ancient tree, with two swings attached to a low hanging branch. And both whispered their secrets to each other. One talked about his girlfriend. The other about the voices.

“Do you know how fucking humiliating it is to sit down with people who back chat about you like that.”

“They don't,” Aziz replied. He longed to be that boy on the swing again. When he thought his younger brother was just telling stories to frighten him.

“I hear voices,” he'd said.

“What kind of voices,” Aziz had asked. The shadows were getting longer and the sun was setting faster.

“Sometimes I can barely make out what they mean. Like a few whispers. Sometimes they are clearer.”

“What do they say?”

Ansar shrugged. “Sometimes they remind me to do my homework... but other times they talk about darker things.”

“Like?”

“The darkness. About when mum was shot dead by dad. They don't let me forget that.”

Aziz recalled another time when he held his little brother's hand as they ran through a marketplace. Trying to run from the voices. Their lungs busted, their hearts still pounding away, but to no avail.

Aziz put his hand round his brother as they both got up. He pulled his brother's sleeves up to check whether his brother had cut himself again. He hadn't. All he saw was scars.

“It's a crazy fucking world Aziz Bhai. It's a crazy fucking world.”

Aziz's long drawn face hung dryly in the afternoon sun. The weather was at odds to how he was feeling. He remembered his dream from the night before. It was a portrayal of his greatest fear. That one day, he too, like his brother, would be mentally unhealthy. Or at least that was his interpretation.

Driving through town, Aziz thought a great many things. His thought process was only broken by his brother.

“Bhai, do you remember Uncle Salim's house?”

Aziz said that he did.

Their uncle lived in a caravan in a caravan park. The caravan park was down the road from a mental hospital. Aziz now knew that it was a normal hospital with Psychiatric Facilities. But growing up, it had been a Mental hospital where crazy people lived.

Living next to a mental hospital was easy enough for most of the year. But one night in cold October, Aziz had heard screams outside their caravan. His uncle had gone out after the screams and his auntie had locked the door shut. Aziz had looked out the windows. People in ghostly white sheets were running like wild things out of the hospital with their hands up in the air. They banged on the caravan and circled it several times shouting and screaming.

“Do I scare you bhai?”

“No,” Aziz answered. “Let Allah be my witness for that.”

“I make your life harder though. Don't I?”

Aziz didn't reply.

Ansar took his hat off. He sat quietly for the rest of the journey.

Aziz sat down to dinner with the Italian waitress that had left him her number. Claudia was her name. When Aziz was called by the manager, a friend, on a private matter, Claudia reflected on her date. It was pleasant enough for a first date. Aziz didn't talk a lot, whereas Claudia did, and that was a great plus in Claudia's books. They complemented each other nicely, she summed up.

She was on this train of thought, when Aziz's phone rang under the table. Claudia looked around her before ducking under the table to answer the phonecall.

“Hi, Aziz can't come to the phone right now-”

“Bhai, I fucked up hanging myself. Can you come help me?”

Claudia took a second to make sure she had heard right. “Hello,” she asked tentatively.

“Who is this?”

“Claudia Fanelli. Maybe I should just hand you over to your brother.”

“Italian name? You don't sound Italian.”

Claudia laughed abruptly. “Because I'm not speaking Italian.”

“I know that. But even your English sounds like South London English.”

“Because I was born and raised in South London. You can't tell a person's cultural heritage over the phone. I assure you I'm British-Italian.”

“I see that now. I mean I hear that now. Or whatever I'm supposed to say now.”

Claudia looked over at Aziz who was smiling brightly for the first time that evening. His brother was the answer to his darkness. The answer to the sunken despondent grin beneath the charismatic personality. She straightened up her dress and walked over to Aziz and handed him the phone.

Aziz paid the bill and made his excuses to Claudia. Claudia nodded as she put her coat on.

However just as he left for the door, she stopped him. “I'd...really rather be where you're going then here.”

Aziz stood puzzled by her request. “I can't. I'm sorry.”

“Oh I know your... predicament. And I know it's only a first date,” Claudia added; her hands conducting their own mini orchestral explanation. “But I think if this going to work,” she added with a nod. “Then you can't keep our worlds separate. Separated.”

Aziz paused for thought.

“What're you thinking?”

“My brother suffers from a schizoaffective disorder. And he tried to commit suicide tonight,” Aziz stated blankly. He regretted saying it immediately.

“Yeah, I know. I talked with him a little bit. He seemed normal enough. Except for you know.”

Aziz clicked his car key to open the doors. “You sure?”

“Don't patronise me. Porca miseria! One thing you'll learn quick enough is that Italian women can get angry very quickly,” Claudia said before exhaling a deep breath. “Apart from that we're lovely creatures.”

Driving through the night always calmed Aziz down. No music played, but the silence was not an awkward one. It was a refreshing pause.

“So Schizo-something. That's like Schizophrenia right?”

“Similar,” Aziz said. “Schizoaffective disorder includes mood swings, depression etc.”

“On the phone, he sounded like a normal guy. Even if it was a peculiar situation.”

“He is normal. They all are. Their abnormalities can be controlled most of the time. Most Schizoaffective disorder sufferers are able to lead normal lives.”

They talked most of the journey, at the end of which Claudia remarked on how she had learnt more about Aziz after the date than during it. Which is fairly normal, she said. Aziz didn't really get her sophisticated humour but made no comment as regards it.

Aziz helped his brother Ansar out of a tangled mess of rope, and sat him down to a table in the living room. Claudia sat down with him, whilst another eye followed Aziz into the kitchen area behind the sofa.

“If you can hear what I'm thinking, what am I thinking?” Ansar asked.

Claudia shrugged.

Ansar bit his lip. “I have another question. If you are born and raised here, how are you Italian?”

“Because my family are from Italy. How do identify yourself?”

“I don't know what I am. My brother says he is English though.”

“English?” Claudia looked Aziz's way. Aziz continued to watch the kettle boil. “Well, I'm British-Italian I think.”

“British Italian?”Ansar asked.

“Yes.”

“Are you Scottish?”

“No. Not at all.” Claudia replied.

“Welsh?”

“No. I don't identify with the Welsh at all.”

“Northern Ireland?”

“I'm not Irish either.”

“Well, if you're not Scottish, Welsh, Irish... I'm running out of parts of the British Isles now. If you're not English... You do consider your self a Londoner right?”

Claudia didn't say anything at first as she tried to put Ansar's logic together. She had always considered herself a Londoner. She didn't have any problem with that. She had a problem with being English, it seemed.

“You've always felt like a visitor in your own country. Did you realize that?”

Claudia let this idea sink in.

“Nobody else has a clue what I'm on about. Most days of the week. But I think now, you may understand what I'm going through.”

Aziz sat down beside Claudia. He could see her mind working to put things together. “Don't think too hard,” he whispered in her ear. “The English are as mad as a hatter.”

Claudia drank her cup of tea. “You can say that again!”

“Don't think too hard. The English are as mad as a hatter.”

There was a slight pause, where silence graced the air, before Claudia erupted into laughter.

Irish

Cyan loses automatically. If you two don't vote, I auto-win. Rules stand. :D

I suppose we extend it... not sure how many more people will have something though.

Ashes

Banned
Then we will be in the same position as now, albeit, we will have 3x24 hours to read three short stories.

Little to lose and a lot to gain.

ronito

Tim the Wiz said:
Extend the deadline by two weeks? :p
It's either this or nothing. Since Hobbes is gone I think we should go with consensus.

For me, I'd just rather not muck with the schedule as it's sorta unfair to Hobbes, T'tonka and Cinders since they actually met the deadline. And frankly we don't know if more people will submit entries if given two weeks.

Puddles

Banned
I have an entry almost done and could submit it by tonight. But more time wouldn't hurt either. I guess it's up to the challenge-master: how long is the extension?

Puddles

Banned
So how hard a cap is this word limit? Is it a NBA-style soft cap, or an NFL-style hard cap? Because this story is at least 100 words over, and I don't see any way to cut it down to 2100 words or less.

Ashes

Banned
I'll withdraw my entry as I was way past the Original deadline. Jd get's lumped with the new thread as the only legitimate entry. And we can call it quits to a low point in the creative writing thread.

Irish

I Win (15 words)

I would have wrote something longer but I just couldn't put my shame into words.

_____

Votes:

1) John Dunbar
2) Cyan
3) Ashes1396

___

Voting is now closed

JD - 3 (1)
Cyan - 2
Ashes - 1

Irish - 0

___

Well... I'm the only one who voted, so... Default win. :p

For real though, should JD just go ahead and make a new thread now or...

Oh, I see. Default--really?

ronito said:
It's either this or nothing. Since Hobbes is gone I think we should go with consensus.

For me, I'd just rather not muck with the schedule as it's sorta unfair to Hobbes, T'tonka and Cinders since they actually met the deadline. And frankly we don't know if more people will submit entries if given two weeks.

On the flip-side, an extension would allow Hobbes (now you've got me saying this!--get out of my head, Charles. D:) and Tangent to vote and should garner some new entries. Yeah, I understand the urge to just move on quickly, but having the only valid entry win with no critiques or opinions shared seems to run counter to the spirit of these challenges. I don't know, do a vote on the extension or something?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Are hobbes and tangent lovers? they're both on vacation at the exact same time? Also, I'm worried that hobbes is doing cocaine. I think he might be on that coca cola.

Timedog said:
Are hobbes and tangent lovers? they're both on vacation at the exact same time? Also, I'm worried that hobbes is doing cocaine. I think he might be on that coca cola.

This couldn't help but cross my mind too, although I was totally unaware of Hobbes's coke problem.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Timedog said:

well, it is the same person.

bengraven

I never got a chance to write a story and now I feel horrible.

So I say extend the deadline by three days to I feel better.

ronito

Timedog said:
No. But we have made out
like bandits on a a cheap dinner
;)

Ashes

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Oh, I see. Default--really?

On the flip-side, an extension would allow Hobbes (now you've got me saying this!--get out of my head, Charles. D:) and Tangent to vote and should garner some new entries. Yeah, I understand the urge to just move on quickly, but having the only valid entry win with no critiques or opinions shared seems to run counter to the spirit of these challenges. I don't know, do a vote on the extension or something?

I see where you are coming from tim. It makes sense to have a fuller body of work to critique, vote, and have a winner get chosen by the readers.

Though, I want to also put forward, that shuffling the vote to the next cycle, makes it fair, to:

a, people who didn't enter this week,
b, people who entered this week, and are now on holiday,

And in that way, unfair to people who entered this week. There are only two proper nominations this week, J.D. And my own. And only one that got their entry in by the deadline, right and proper: J.D.

So we can do a couple of things, namely the things already put forward. But I think, as a group, the democratic thing to do would be to meet in the middle.

I want somebody who entered this week to win, where as you want critiquing, voting, competition etc. So, perhaps I can just reinstate my entry, and we can have a shoot out between two entries.

Vote yes or no. :p

ps. If people agree, then people can vote over the weekend like in the poetry thread.

Puddles

Banned
Yeah, I got about 80% of my story written, then got invited out with friends. Not sure what you guys want to do, and since I don't have a horse in this race, it doesn't really matter. My story was probably too long to enter in a challenge, although I might post it for critique anyway, just to get some opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom