• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations GamesCon Media | Chris Redfield is climbing a mountain.

The game looks great. I think Chris' sequences so far look a lot better than Jill's. Only thing that makes me really nervous is the water gameplay. RE isn't exactly known for it's good control schemes, I can't imagine why the developers decided underwater gameplay would be good to try out. That and Capcom has to realize how shitty the gun sound effects are.

NeonZ

Futureman said:
So is Vita really that much more powerful than the 3DS? Because if this game looked any better, it would be on par w/ PS3/360. Looks so good.

The graphical leap from DS ---> 3DS is crazy.

The poly count and general performance are around the level of GC games, or even lower (aside from RAM). What makes this game stand out and look kind of similar to a PS3/360 game are the shader effects, which are the one feature the 3DS can easily do, but would cost a lot in the PS2 gen hardware.

On the other hand, Vita has hardware that actually approaches current gen in every way.

At least Crispin Glover is in it.

crispin.jpg

Poyunch

Mmm I hate how every developer besides Capcom sucks at making good a good, visually consistent looking game on the 3DS. MT Framework is godly.

beril

Apenheul said:
TEV / HLSL / CG is just another language for doing the same thing, you can learn to switch in one day easily. Maybe some Nintendo developers are not experienced with certain modern lighting-models, but certainly not the SMG-team or the people from tech support.

IMO it's not so much the tech that has changed in 10+ years, you can do more of the same instructions with new shadermodels and we've been able to render outside of our surface or spawn new geometry, but it's mostly new (artist friendly) shortcuts to algorithms that were invented over 20 years ago.

That's not even remotely true. CG and HLSL are shader languages and TEV is a fixed function pixel pipeline. You can pull off some neat effects using TEVs on the the Wii but it's a lot less flexible than programmable shaders and many of the most fundamental shaders simply can't be done.

Not that I really buy the argument that nintendo staff wouldn't be able to write shaders though; it's not really that hard. Their artists aren't experienced with creating highpoly models for generating normalmaps though.

Dacon

Banned
Wtf.

First Jill now Chris? What did they do to his face? He looks like even more of an apeman now.

Anyway game looks very promising.

M3d10n

beril said:
That's not even remotely true. CG and HLSL are shader languages and TEV is a fixed function pixel pipeline. You can pull off some neat effects using TEVs on the the Wii but it's a lot less flexible than programmable shaders and many of the most fundamental shaders simply can't be done.

Not that I really buy the argument that nintendo staff wouldn't be able to write shaders though; it's not really that hard. Their artists aren't experienced with creating highpoly models for generating normalmaps though.
TEV lacks a few fundamental features required for full blown per-pixel lighting with specular highlights.

It could only simulate the effect with severe limitations: it only works properly for objects that fit almost entirely within camera view and the "light" is always aligned with the camera. So it only works properly in "model viewer" situations (seeing objects in an inventory) or in games where the camera doesn't often turn around itself, like in Super Mario Galaxy.

beril said:
Writing shaders in itself is not hard, really. But creating shader-based engines is, verily so. Suddenly you need to worry about a fuckton of stuff that was completely alien on fixed-function or even in the software-renderer days, specially when it comes to making sure things run smoothly.

The 3DS lessens some of that burden by offering a complete per-pixel lighting pipeline implemented directly on the hardware, but I'm sure it still makes things more complex since nothing is free and there should still be some performance juggling to be done there.

Now I'm no expert on evil cult-like military organizations, but isn't it important to make sure that your evil organization's name cannot be easily mispronounced as Velcro?

Damn, they're going full out for this one. It almost makes up for the absolutely ridiculous $40 price of Mercenaries. (I got it for $20 and still felt that was too much)

3DS is legit

Bumhead

Banned
Looks fantastic.

The Revelations demo on the Mercenaries cart was short, but it showed a LOT of promise. Something tells me this is going to be the Resident Evil game I've wanted for years.

Vamphuntr

This game is looking better and better. I will get a 3DS for this and Layton Vs Wright. Jessica seems like a great new character. I get a Claire Redfield vibe from her.

Luigiv

Amir0x said:
One of four 3DS games in my anticipate list, and it still is looking really horror-fueled. Approve.
What the? You're name isn't red any more. My whole perception of reality is crumbling!

Before, I had a weird suspicion that Jill's portions of the game would be the one that was most like the classics while Chris would RE5 it up during his scenario. Glad to see both scenarios still have the horror aspect.

Neiteio

LOL, cheesy as hell. They find the bad guy base by spotting the bad guy's flag prominently displayed on the outside of the base. It's like if Osama had a flag with his picture fluttering from the top of his compound.

EDIT: Oh god, the font during gameplay. Why must Mercenaries and now this game try to make everything but the actual gameplay/cutscenes look so ugly. :-\

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This looks great, but the "oh my god my leg!" moment is incredibly unrealistic! Chris is supposed to have the strength to push boulders with his bare hands! How could a simple leg injury keep him down?

It also looked really wonky, animation wise and the sounds of the weapons are incredibly weak and tinny.

cvxfreak

Easy_D said:
This looks great, but the "oh my god my leg!" moment is incredibly unrealistic! Chris is supposed to have the strength to push boulders with his bare hands! How could a simple leg injury keep him down?

It also looked really wonky, animation wise and the sounds of the weapons are incredibly weak and tinny.

This takes place 4 years before, so maybe he just isn't at that point in his life yet. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
cvxfreak said:
This takes place 4 years before, so maybe he just isn't at that point in his life yet. :p
4 years before? It looks like Jill's wearing the same outfit she has in RE5.. slightly different design, but this can mean only one thing.

JILL DIDNT TAKE A BATH IN 4 YEARS, EW

Edit: It'd be amazing if Chris woke up and was all: "I had the strangest dream, I was punching a boulder inside of a volcano! How crazy is that, huh?"

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Because 128 MB isn't really a whole lot and there can be multiple layers of textures + everything else to shove in there. Also, the screenshots are blown up to what, double the actual size of the 3DS screen? And it's still a launch window (ish) game, Capcom are God tier but they won't exactly exploit its full potential from their very first full fledged game on the thing... Anyway, survival horror in the snow makes me think of D2 and The Thing. Good times, good times.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess you can still notice some muddy textures especially in the last shot. Maybe they'll fix some of it. Maybe even a simple shader on top of the same assets could make the snow look much slicker if they can push that in the outdoor areas. Either way, it's more than most expected from the 3DS after the first batch of games.

drspeedy

glaurung said:
Holy crap-o-la, are they visiting
the end location from RE5?

Mind blown if true.

First thing I thought was Vilcabamba. Complete with (zombie) wolves!

But dang... I hadn't seen anything *at all* on 3DS that made me want to buy one until this. I loved the whole "mountain is isolating" atmosphere that Cursed Mountain did with Chomolonzo
such an under appreciated game!
, so this really clicks for me.

Also: go CoCo, go!

Alrus

I'm gonna buy this even though I suck at horror game. I haven't managed to finish a single RE game by myself :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alrus said:
I'm gonna buy this even though I suck at horror game. I haven't managed to finish a single RE game by myself :(

Start with RE Mercenaries and work your way up. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
I am not digging the military vibe I am getting from the outfit that Chris is wearing. It has a visual reek of things that I do not enjoy.

He's a counter bio-terror operative. He's basically military.

Top Bottom