• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a running list I have of things so far that may show the GPU's hybridization and why the press release said:

The custom AMD Radeon™ HD GPU reflects the best characteristics of AMD’s graphics technology solutions: high-definition graphics support; rich multimedia acceleration and playback; and multiple display support.

Eyefinity - Wii U is supposedly capable of supporting four controllers. Only the 5870 Eyefinity 6 and the 6750 and up natively support at least five screens. The 6670 can with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport.

HDMI 1.3a - Considering the disc format being used by Wii U, 1.3a at a minimum should be expected and this was not added till the 5000 series of cards.

Stereoscopic 3D - Iwata confirmed that the console is capable of doing 3D. For the 6000 series of cards AMD has something called "AMD HD3D". Not using it, but having 3D would almost be like reinventing the wheel.

OpenCL 1.1 - The question is, "Why wouldn't they use it?" As long as they make it accessible to devs, I don't see a problem. We already know from the past that Nintendo likes to sync the CPU and GPU as much as possible. Seems that this was first added to the 6000 series and then added to the 5000 series through updates.

Current programmable hardware tessellation unit - Same as CL 1.1, "Why wouldn't they use it?" The one implemented in the 5000 series would be sensible since it is programmable and not fixed. Although the improvements made with the 6000 would be ideal. For those who want to know a little more and why it would be better (from the perspective of the 5000) go here.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100210/tes...n-opengl-radeon-hd-5000-tessellators-details/

I think this about covers it so far.

Also as I've gained a better understanding of Eyefinity, I feel comfortable in saying that four Wii U controllers will not be a burden on the system at all leaving the issue to cost as Iwata claims. Even a low-end card like the 5450 can supposedly support three displays, and the controllers will support lower resolutions. The least Nintendo could do is use some kind of voucher system at launch where instead of selling controllers in the store, include a voucher in the console packaging that allows the buyer to purchase one extra controller online. This way they could gauge the demand for a separate controller. That's my take anyway.

bgassassin said:
The least Nintendo could do is use some kind of voucher system at launch where instead of selling controllers in the store, include a voucher in the console packaging that allows the buyer to purchase one extra controller online. This way they could gauge the demand for a separate controller. That's my take anyway.
I *think* that part of Nintendo's reasoning is that they don't want a situation like they had with the early Wii where everyone was fighting to buy extra controllers that they didn't really need. I think that with a lot of those extra controllers, there was buyers remorse.

Grampa Simpson said:
I *think* that part of Nintendo's reasoning is that they don't want a situation like they had with the early Wii where everyone was fighting to buy extra controllers that they didn't really need. I think that with a lot of those extra controllers, there was buyers remorse.

That would justify the voucher system even more.

Hero of Legend said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKixKO89Z0

Finally got the Tekken vid uploaded. Compare it to the one NintenDaanNC uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm2YdUK1aNA

Much better. No offense NintendoDaan if you're reading this. :)

Good work, but his has the translation with it. :p

lednerg

The flash memory in the controller can really only be useful for transferring data to someone else's Wii U. So if they're making these things with that kind of portability in mind, then I don't see how they couldn't keep the possibility open for developers to use multiple tablets per system. Especially for simple stuff like Madden play calling.

Also, they probably won't ever sell the controllers separately, nor should they. The people who get to have their own screens during multiplayer are those who own their own Wii U (and remember to bring their tablet to their friend's place). It may not sound like marketting genius, but it is. Rather than forcing us to buy a bunch of expensive controllers, they're forcing us to have the discussion with our friends that they should buy their own Wii U.

I've been wondering, has anyone identified which Dirt was shown in the montage video?

For all I know it could be the first one, but I doubt that Codemasters would port the first when they could port the 3rd or an upcoming one (Dirt 4?).

Considering the games that were shown on that reel I would have to believe it was Dirt 3. And with it already being released and Wii U coming out at least a year after, I would believe they would be planning Dirt 4. That would seem to be a long time to do some kind of special edition for 3.

lednerg said:
The flash memory in the controller can really only be useful for transferring data to someone else's Wii U. So if they're making these things with that kind of portability in mind, then I don't see how they couldn't keep the possibility open for developers to use multiple tablets per system. Especially for simple stuff like Madden play calling.

Also, they probably won't ever sell the controllers separately, nor should they. The people who get to have their own screens during multiplayer are those who own their own Wii U (and remember to bring their tablet to their friend's place). It may not sound like marketting genius, but it is. Rather than forcing us to buy a bunch of expensive controllers, they're forcing us to have the discussion with our friends that they should buy their own Wii U.

Interesting idea, but there could be detriment more than a benefit. Having the only prospect of playing two player games by buying a system just for the controller may turn people off instead of encourage them. To me it would take a special game to encourage that notion. I'd rather see them at least have the option for a buyer to purchase a second controller. At least then he/she could say "I don't have another one yet", as opposed to saying "You can't buy another controller. You only get the one that comes with the console." Nintendo finds ways to shoot themselves in the foot, and I'm hoping they keep from loading up the chamber in this situation.

opi1saved

Neo Member
lednerg said:

Apologies if I've missed out on this, but if they aren't going to sell controllers separately, then how would one replace a broken controller? Has there ever been a major console that didn't have controllers available for purchase separately?

Boney

Banned
opi1saved said:
Apologies if I've missed out on this, but if they aren't going to sell controllers separately, then how would one replace a broken controller? Has there ever been a major console that didn't have controllers available for purchase separately?
Reps have been saying that the "it only supports 1 controller" meant that only one will come bundled with the machine.

So who knows.

Majine

Banned
I think the Wii U console itself is so boring. Wish they could go back to something like this.

gamecube.png

Man, look at that thing. Fucking awesome.

BurntPork

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
Is it true that sticks can't be clicked on the Wii U controller? That seems like a huge omission if they're looking for multiplatform parity.
It's true. The touch screen will probably be used to make up for it.

snoopeasystreet said:
That's still crazy when it comes to fast reaction tasks like melée or zoom.

Couldn't imagine them using the touch screen to maybe choose the actual body part you are melee-ing or maybe the exact object you are zooming in on. It might take some getting used to, but it's not the end of the world.

I've never owned a PS or an Xbox so I wouldn't even know what I was missing.

Sagitario

Majine said:
I think the Wii U console itself is so boring. Wish they could go back to something like this.

gamecube.png

I have to admit, that's my favorite looking console+color.

dacuk

Majine said:

gamecube.png

It won't be "hardcore" enough for some gamers, the kind of gamers Nintendo is looking to appeal now.

Fou-Lu

Majine said:

I strongly agree. I want some style and colour Nintendo! (Also, transparency)

snoopeasystreet said:
That's still crazy when it comes to fast reaction tasks like melée or zoom.

With the touch screen OTHER tasks would be moved off buttons. For instance, take a typical FPS. Most have dpad for item switching and clicking the sticks for crouching or running or whatever. If items switching was relegated to the touch screen instead that'd free up 4 other buttons to do things with. Games would be mapped differently. It wouldn't just be make the scheme the same, assign clicking to the touch screen

User Name Here said:
So...... Any hope for Nintendo allowing for Wii games to be upscaled or are they more likely to do HD remakes like Sony/MS?
Wii games won't be upscaled.
Supposedly, though, they'll be releasing GC games on their download system.

Majine said:

http://www.konsolinfo.se/bilder/konsol/gamecube.png

I liked it's power, but I'll pass on the choice of aesthetics.

vectorman06 said:
Gamescom Crytek and Epic Wiiu related question vids.

Thanks for the links. That echo plus the accent made it tough to understand what the guy from Crytek was saying. As for Capps, sounds like they might be under an NDA also. After seeing that Shadow Complex game mentioned in the Epic thread, I think that would be a good fit for Wii U.

opi1saved

Neo Member
Maybe a bit off-topic, but GamePro seems to think that Zelda:SS is not only a Wii U title, but representative of the machine's graphical capabilities. How do these people keep their jobs?

The Wii U’s visuals are unquestionably high-definition, but we haven’t really seen the caliber of graphics it’s capable of delivering, aside from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Can it compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360—and more importantly, their successors?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/222122/what-s-up-wii-u/

Jin34

I was going to make a new thread to laugh at Gamespot but then I realized I'd be giving them hits so I changed my mind.

BurntPork

Banned
opi1saved said:
Maybe a bit off-topic, but GamePro seems to think that Zelda:SS is not only a Wii U title, but representative of the machine's graphical capabilities. How do these people keep their jobs?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/222122/what-s-up-wii-u/
There is no one gif that can convey my feelings towards this. I'll just say that I fucking told you these guys were biased.

Though, they probably meant the HD demo.

EDIT: I just looked at the article. Ignore that spoiler. Goddamn.

And what did Nintendo show that was prerendered?

DaSorcerer7 said:
True, how these guys can call themselves journalists is beyond me.

Yeah. There's more than enough evidence to show Wii U's power is well beyond PS360, yet it gets ignored and they choose to focus on the small amount of info we heard back in April and clearly unfinished demos on those dev kits from back then.

BurntPork

Banned
The punchline is that they have another article up with SS's release date and they actually call it a Wii game there. Great communication!

Just sharing my current view on the specs based on previous discussions and looking back on the first leaked specs.

CPU
Tri-core @ 3.645Ghz (not the PPE cores used in PS360)
16MB L2 cache

GPU
607.5 Mhz
640-800 SPUs

Memory
32MB of embedded 1T-SRAM-Q (like with Xenos' 10MB)
1.5GB of DDR3 memory

I'm sure you're wondering why the numbers are so exact. I don't expect those to be the exact final numbers, but it's to get an idea of what I think Nintendo might be trying to do. After discussing with someone else who seems to be in the know, I came up with these numbers based on what Nintendo has done in the past. To take from a post I made elsewhere I'm looking at it like this.

Nintendo is picky about their clock speeds to the point of using specific numbers and those numbers are in multiples. GC (and supposedly Wii, supposedly since they weren't officially confirmed by Nintendo) had the CPU clock as a multiple of 3:1 to the GPU. Based on what was said I increased the multiple and as a foundation I went with a number of 6. I then started with a GPU clock 600Mhz. This would lead to a CPU at 3.6Ghz. But that is plain for Nintendo, so I applied the multiples in two ways: Wii U CPU to GPU ratio and Wii U to Wii. First if the Wii U were a multiple of Wii (like Wii supposedly is to GC, ) then I would see the Wii U as a 5:2.5 multiple of Wii. This would put the CPU at 3.645Ghz and the GPU at 607.5Mhz. Then from there that would put the Wii U CPU:GPU at an exact ratio of 6:1.

This is more in line with what we heard in the beginning. Obviously early dev kits aren't able to truly represent the final hardware, but they are an attempt at the target specs. These numbers look more like an early dev kit that has a CPU that "resembles an Xbox 360's CPU with faster clock speeds" and an R700 GPU (or 4830 to be exact), although as I posted earlier we already know some things that are being taken from other AMD GPUs.

I'm also on the APU bandwagon with a chip that might remind us of the XCGPU in the 360. One of those chips' design probably influenced the other.

I guess I better get to work now.

TunaLover

bgassassin said:
Just sharing my current view on the specs based on previous discussions and looking back on the first leaked specs.

CPU
Tri-core @ 3.645Ghz (not the PPE cores used in PS360)
16MB L2 cache

GPU
607.5 Mhz
640-800 SPUs

Memory
32MB of embedded 1T-SRAM-Q (like with Xenos' 10MB)
1.5GB of DDR3 memory

I'm sure you're wondering why the numbers are so exact. I don't expect those to be the exact final numbers, but it's to get an idea of what I think Nintendo might be trying to do. After discussing with someone else who seems to be in the know, I came up with these numbers based on what Nintendo has done in the past. To take from a post I made elsewhere I'm looking at it like this.

This is more in line with what we heard in the beginning. Obviously early dev kits aren't able to truly represent the final hardware, but they are an attempt at the target specs. These numbers look more like an early dev kit that has a CPU that "resembles an Xbox 360's CPU with faster clock speeds" and an R700 GPU (or 4830 to be exact), although as I posted earlier we already know some things that are being taken from other AMD GPUs.

I'm also on the APU bandwagon with a chip that might remind us of the XCGPU in the 360. One of those chips' design probably influenced the other.

I guess I better get to work now.

Do you consider the unit size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom