• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix announces partnership with Matsushita

ToxicAdam

Is this just posturing to make Sony fork over more money for exclusivity?

Could be.

It's bad enough I have to buy a Nintendo every generation, just to play 3 or 4 games. Don't make me have to buy another one just to play 1 or 2 games.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
gafmeeble20xx.gif

We gotta fix the e in that gif, for greater justice.

gafmeeble20xx.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
And basically every other CE company besides Toshiba. The Blu-Ray group has little to do with CE rivalries I think, unless you'd consider longtime-Playstation collaborator Toshiba to actually be Sony's "archrival"?
Why would I? The point I was trying to make is that the "archrival" angle that Deku wants to put on this is way overblown, a construct that exists more due to media sensationalism and fanboy fantasies than because of any real world events.

And just to be clear here, Matsushita isn't just a member of the Blu-Ray group, they're one of the founding members and have been the first along with Sony to actually get product out on the market in Japan.

Deku said:
The point was that Square choosing one over the other must have some reason since I don't see why they shouldn't have gone with Sony given their history, unless you have a better explanation.
But they're not really choosing one over the other since they're already working with Sony. As SE's ambitions for their IP has been expanding, so too have their partnerships, which they've handled in a targeted fashion. They don't work out the same business deal with every business partner, and this is no different.

Larger market share may be part of it, but its pretty vague.
It requires less jumping to conclusions than your angle that this is a deliberate snub of Sony. You want soap opera when these companies are just doing business.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What I don't get is, where did Deku get that Sony was part of this Matsushita/SE deal? Hes making it sound as if Sony was in the loop and was bounced out by SE when Sony wasn't even part of this whole deal in the first place. The only explanation he gives is "why didn't SE choose Sony to do this?".

Now if SE was working with Sony at first then dropped them for Matsushita, then I would put credence in what he said.

madara

Just sounds like a way to advertise their content and characters to other devices and audiences to me. I dont get that game feeling from this yet.

Beowvlf

Banned
Not only did reading Deku's post singlehandedly lower my IQ about 13 points, but I don't think I've ever come across someone who has such absurd and completely nonsensical business knowledge. I mean, people who just strictly make shit up still make more logical arguments than you have so far.

This thread needs to locked.

Amir0x

Banned
Heian, for one this is a legitimate thread made by gofreak. Two, "this thread needs to be locked" is bad.

Mau ®

Its ALL OVAAAR PEOPLE!!! The end is nigh, make preparations!!

Sell your PS2,X360,DS,PSP and cancel your Rev and PS3 preorders!!!

Trurl

Banned
Square-Enix teaming up with Matsushita+ ???= DQ and FF are Revolution exclusive!!!

You've done it again Iwata!

Panajev2001a said:
I hope Matsushita is not clinically insane... they wasted the best opportunity they will ever have not putting massive balls of steel behind the M2 back when they should have and to go now against Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would seem stupid to me...

Although I suppose in theory, if Matsushita/Panasonic were really planning a game machine/set-top-box, they could very easily sign a deal with Nintendo to have it support Revolution software in addition to perhaps having a higher end chipset as a whole. Nintendo's chipset would probably be very easy to add or integrate because of its supposed cost/size attributes.

Agreed though, Matsushita made a huge mistake in not pushing the M2 console.

I dunno what to make of this Square-Enix alliance though. *If* Matsushita has any inklings of getting back into the hardware biz, they're certainly forming the right relationships.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Tons of announcement's are made like this all the time, could mean absolutly nothing. Square once signed a deal with SEGA to make an online arcade games...nothing happened. Nintendo signed with Konami for a joint company called Mobile 21...nothing came of that either. Nintendo was suppossed to licence out GCN tech. in several Panaonic/Matsushita products, but that only resulted in 2 different "Q" systems.

I imagine 3 scenerios: 1) It's just as I stated above...this ultimatly means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. 2) A "just in case" precationary measure in the UNLIKELY event that PS3 (which S-E will make most of thier money in the forseeable future) somehow flops leaving S-E to look for a serigate...they'd much prefer someone who's like Sony rather than being "trapped" in a Nintendo-only or Microsoft-only type situation. 3) They know that Matsushita plans on making a "return" to the gaming world in one form or another someday in the future and they just wanna be prepaired to support them when/if that day comes.

#1 is the most likely, but #2 or #3 could happen. Ultimatly...Sony, Nintendo & MS would *love* to have a gaming comitee (sort of like the DVD forum) inwhere they make money from software AND hardware licencing. That way, they're making money on those who want to make content on thier platform and they make money on hardware companies why want to add that technology to thier devices as a selling point.

"When the impact of our next machine comes, it will cause a gaming revolution"

Maybe the "revolution" could be that Nintendo plans to do hardware licensing to Panasonic or whoever else. The Revolution's overall technology/chipset will probably be very cheap since it's going for low-spec performance which would be ideal for hardware licensing partners. Imagine: TV's, DVD players, game machines, PC's, set-top-boxes, DVR, TiVo's with built-in Revolution functionality. The userbase wouldn't just be products Nintendo makes, but also that thier official hardware licensee partners make...no publisher would ignore such potential marketshare.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Here's the official press release that the news wires appear to have gleaned their stories from in the first place. Maybe that will clear things up a bit:

Tokyo, Japan - Panasonic, the leading brand for which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is known, and Square Enix Co., Ltd., a best-known interactive digital content and service provider, today announced an agreement to co-develop a solution that enables users to seamlessly enjoy digital content on various digital consumer electronic devices. The two companies have agreed to offer the solution to device manufacturers and content providers.

Based on this agreement, Panasonic and Square Enix aim to implement a middleware "SEAD EngineTM" that uses Square Enix software technologies on Panasonic's integrated platform for digital consumer electronic devices by March 2007. The two companies will build technological know-how to provide seamless content applications for digital consumer electronic devices.

In recent years, the digital content market has experienced an average annual growth of around 10 percent in Japan, and it is expected to grow further. In line with the trend of digital devices' multi-functionality and high-performance as well as the advancement of networking, there is also growing demand for sharing digital content in the various digital consumer electronic devices such as television, DVD recorders, portable music players, mobile phones and car navigation systems in addition to conventional IT devices such as personal computers.

Panasonic expects the integrated platform to hasten the "ubiquitous network society" where users can enjoy network connectivity among various digital consumer electronic devices.

Square Enix not only owns an attractive portfolio of digital content assets, as represented by its "FINAL FANTASY®" and "DRAGON QUEST®" game franchises, but also has advanced technologies in embedded software development, communication and networking technologies to provide its content to the game consoles, PCs and mobile phones.

"In view of the advancement of digital consumer electronic device technologies in the coming ubiquitous network era, I believe the collaboration with Square Enix to be the best alliance for the future as they not only own an attractive portfolio of digital content assets, but also have excellent technologies in 3D graphics and embedded software," said Dr. Susumu Koike, Matsushita's Executive Vice President in charge of R&D.

"Square Enix aims to become an integrated digital content and service provider in the ubiquitous network era. Panasonic is the best partner for building a 'seamless content' platform on digital consumer electronics," said Yoichi Wada, President of Square Enix. "We seek to distribute content for digital consumer electronics as well as game consoles. We believe this collaboration will enable our two companies to provide new and highly accessible forms of entertainment to our customers through an integrated hardware and content usage model."

Today's agreement will enable both companies to build a solution for seamless use of digital content in digital consumer electronic devices, based on their respective unique technologies and know-how.

Top Bottom