• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2011

mclem

Minsc said:
Whatever the surprises are today, I agree they seem more low-key. I do hope GOG is getting closer to signing another publisher for next year, because looking back at this year's releases, without getting EA, it would have been a pretty lackluster year.

To be fair, it's quite possible that they have non-EA games waiting in the wings, but EA ate up the time they had to work on compatability. We can't be sure.

Man, now Stainless Games has reacquired the rights to Carmageddon, what are the chances of seeing Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now on GoG? I would kill for W7 compatible versions of those games, even if CM2 won't have the licensed Iron Maiden tracks.

Bootaaay said:
Man, now Stainless Games has reacquired the rights to Carmageddon, what are the chances of seeing Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now on GoG? I would kill for W7 compatible versions of those games, even if CM2 won't have the licensed Iron Maiden tracks.
neil was asked about it in an interview with rps. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/25/carmageddon-reincarnation-preview/

RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

so yeah. maybe if enough people ask them about gog versions this will happen, otherwise just pirate the old ones like the doctor ordered. but doesn't c2 work pretty much perfectly in win7 anyway? been a while since I played it now. and for c1 and splatpak, just use dosbox. software mode all the way, or just add nglide if you absolutely have to be a dick about it http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide. I guess nglide works for c2 as well.

Minsc said:
Whatever the surprises are today, I agree they seem more low-key. I do hope GOG is getting closer to signing another publisher for next year, because looking back at this year's releases, without getting EA, it would have been a pretty lackluster year.
pffffffffffffffff. bullshit! this year of releases has been fantastic, even without ea. you just haven't played enough games. shape up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Joseph Merrick said:
pffffffffffffffff. bullshit! this year of releases has been fantastic, even without ea. you just haven't played enough games. shape up.

Haha, yeah, lackluster was definitely too harsh. It's good, perhaps even fantastic as you say, but as far as true new releases go (games you can't buy from another large digital distributor) this is what we have from EA:

Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger
Ultima 4 + 5 + 6
Nox
Populous
Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
Ultima 1 + 2 + 3
Dungeon Keeper 2
Wing Commander 1 + 2
Magic Carpet
Crusader: No Remorse
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Wing Commander: Privateer
Dungeon Keeper
Ultima Underworld 1 + 2

vs the rest of the year:

Star Control 3
Crusaders of Might & Magic
Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Battle Isle: The Andosia War
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe
Atlantis: The Lost Tales
SWAT 3: Tactical GOTY Edition
Heroes Chronicles: All Chapters
Broken Sword 2: Remastered
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Dragonsphere
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
Star Control 1 & 2
Alone in the Dark 1, 2, & 3
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Rayman Forever
Might & Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer
Battle Isle Platinium
Heroes of Might & Magic 4: Complete Edition
Might & Magic VII - For Blood and Honor
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Iron Plague expansion
Pinball Gold Pack
Dark Reign 2
Police Quest: SWAT 1 & 2
Return to Zork
The Zork Anthology
Broken Sword: Circle of Blood
Moto Racer 3: Gold Edition

I imagine it should look possibly even a bit more skewed towards EA after the 3rd and possibly 4th batches of EA games release, but there's more great non-EA titles than I initially thought. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Time for an update to the list of games which are exclusive to GOG's store. Here's what used to be exclusive to GOG at the time of release, and has appeared elsewhere (bolded titles are just ones that have been recommended, like always):

No longer GOG exclusive said:
ADVENTURE
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Gamesplanet)
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon (Gamesplanet)
Dark Fall: The Journal (DotEmu)
Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers (DotEmu)
Realms of the Haunting (DotEmu)

STRATEGY
Castles 2 (Impulse)
Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (Gamesplanet)
Lords Of Magic: Special Edition (DotEmu)
Lords Of The Realm: Royal Edition (DotEmu)

RPG
Lionheart: Legacy Of The Crusader (D2D)​

SIMULATION
Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (Gamesplanet)
Constructor (DotEmu)
Creatures: The Albian Years (DotEmu)
Mob Rule (DotEmu)
Pro Pinball: Big Race USA (DotEmu)
Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey (DotEmu)
Pro Pinball: Timeshock (DotEmu)​

RACING/SPORTS
Megarace 1+2 (Gamersgate)
Moto Racer (DotEmu)
Moto Racer 2 (DotEmu)
Moto Racer 3: Gold Edition (DotEmu)​

And here's what's left at GOG and nowhere else afaik (their complete catalog is listed here):

GOG exclusive said:
NEWLY ADDED
Chessmaster 9000
Combat Chess
Dragonsphere
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Magic Carpet
Nox
Populous
Rayman Forever
Star Control
Star Control 3
SWAT 3: Tactical GOTY Edition
Ultima 1 + 2 + 3
Ultima 4 + 5 + 6
Ultima Underworld 1 + 2
Wing Commander 1 + 2
Zork: Grand Inquisitor​

ADVENTURE
Atlantis: The Lost Tales
Broken Sword: The Circle of Blood
Broken Sword 2: Original Version
Dragonsphere
Feeble Files, The
In Cold Blood
Journeyman Project 2
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Personal Nightmare
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Return to Zork
Sanitarium
Star Control 3
Tex Murphy 1+2
Tex Murphy: Overseer
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon
Waxworks
The Zork Anthology
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands​

STRATEGY
Battle Chess Special Edition
Battle Isle Platinium
Call To Power 2
Celtic Kings: Rage Of War
Chessmaster 9000
Combat Chess
Conquest Of The New World
Dark Reign 2
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2
Heroes Of Might And Magic
Heroes of Might & Magic 2: Gold Edition
Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Edition
Heroes of Might & Magic 4: Complete Edition
Incredible Machine Mega Pack, The
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
Master Of Magic
Panzer General 2
Panzer General 3d Assault
Populous
Port Royale
Settlers 2: Gold Edition, The
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Iron Plague expansion​

RPG
Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura
Gorky 17
Invictus: In The Shadow Of Olympus
Might & Magic 6-Pack: Limited Edition
Might & Magic VII - For Blood and Honor
Nox
Planescape: Torment
Realms Of Arkania 1+2
Realms Of Arkania 3
Stonekeep
Temple Of Elemental Evil, The
Ultima 1 + 2 + 3
Ultima 4 + 5 + 6
Ultima Underworld 1 + 2
Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption​

SIMULATION
Apache Vs. Havoc
Capitalism Plus
Comanche Vs. Hokum
Descent 2
F/A-18e Super Hornet
Freespace + Expansion
Independence War Deluxe
Pinball Gold Pack
Police Quest: SWAT 1 & 2
Pure Pinball 2 Redux

SHOOTER
Blood (One Unit Whole Blood)
Blood 2: The Chosen + Expansion
Evolva
Expendable
I.G.I. 2: Covert Strike
Incoming + Incoming Forces
Magic Carpet
Mobile Forces
Redneck Rampage Collection
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Wing Commander 1 + 2

ACTION
Cannon Fodder
Die By The Sword + Expansion
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Messiah
Outcast
Rayman Forever
Shattered Steel
Star Control
SWAT 3: Tactical GOTY Edition​

RACING/SPORTS
1nsane
Interstate ’76 Arsenal, The
Screamer
Sensible Soccer 2006
VR Soccer ‘96​

mclem

They really need some more racers. Who owns the later Screamer titles? Who owns the Papyrus racers? Would licensing be an issue with those? Need for Speed would be nice, but again, licensing issues?

A couple more

All three Broken Sword games, but only director's cut of 1 and remastered 2. Desperados 1. Locomotion. Alone in the Dark New Nightmare. are on gamesplanet.

All three Moto Racer games are on dotemu.

Also, Hostile Waters was removed from gog a while ago!

epmode

Have you played Nox, Minsc? I'm kind of amazed that it isn't bolded. I never played it back in the day but it's very impressive to me now. I love the line of sight implementation.

NOX!

NOX!

OH MY GOSH IT'S AVAILABLE! Hours upon hours spent on this game back in the day. From what I remember, complicated trap systems and spell combinations that just straight up rocked. Man, it''s middle school all over again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Joseph Merrick said:
A couple more

All three Broken Sword games, but only director's cut of 1 and remastered 2. Desperados 1. Locomotion. Alone in the Dark New Nightmare. are on gamesplanet.

All three Moto Racer games are on dotemu.

Also, Hostile Waters was removed from gog a while ago!

Thanks, I never checked gamesplanet before! The Broken Sword games came back because they used to be available on one of the services I was checking against (Impulse, Steam, Gamersgate, D2D) and are no longer there. But now I can update that list and remove them once again before it sits again for a while. I don't know how I missed the Moto Racer games!

Actually, yes I do. When I do a search for "Moto Racer" in DotEmu, it launches iTunes for one of their iOS games, very strange, but I didn't look any further than that.

epmode said:
Have you played Nox, Minsc? I'm kind of amazed that it isn't bolded. I never played it back in the day but it's very impressive to me now. I love the line of sight implementation.

Just the demo as I recall, it's been a very long time, and I didn't see many people heavily recommending Nox, actually quite a few people were questioning the nostalgia over the game, so I skipped bolding it at the time. I did play it briefly again after the GOG release, and the controls are a bit quirky but seems like it'd be enjoyable, even if one of the biggest draws (the multi) isn't too accessible.

Carm

Anyone know how good of a port Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone is? Does it support widescreen?

What about Temple of Elemental Evil, fan patches required? Supports WS?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm missing 5 games (original Baldur's Gate, Dragonshard, Demon Stone, Icewind Dale 2, and Neverwinter Nights). I can get them all for $19.95. That's not a bad deal.

Rufus

Carm said:
Anyone know how good of a port Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone is? Does it support widescreen?

If there are must-have mods out there, the GOG forums for that particular game will usually have a thread stickied that collects those, so I suggest you check those. There also a good chance that whatever question you have was already answered over there.

Also, for a database of widescreen support: http://widescreengamingforum.com/mgl

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid sale, I wanna buy TOEE and double-dip on Torment, but this "buy more to pay less" thing really doesn't help. I probably pay less for the boxed versions :(

Ledsen

Bufbaf said:
Stupid sale, I wanna buy TOEE and double-dip on Torment, but this "buy more to pay less" thing really doesn't help. I probably pay less for the boxed versions :(

Yeah I really, really think this strategy is a very stupid move on the part of GOG. They do it every sale, and it's caused me to not buy anything almost every time because I know I won't be getting the "real" sale price if I don't buy the whole pack.

Dave Long

Banned
Agreed. The way they do these sales makes it hard for me to bite. I know I'm not getting the best deal so I decide not to get any deal and buy nothing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ledsen said:
Yeah I really, really think this strategy is a very stupid move on the part of GOG. They do it every sale, and it's caused me to not buy anything almost every time because I know I won't be getting the "real" sale price if I don't buy the whole pack.

I cashed in on this promotion because I already had enough of the games to get the 60% off deal on the remaining ones, but I am generally like you, where I end up not buying anything because they usually do bullshit like "30% off individual titles, or 60% off for the whole pack!"

I don't want the whole damn pack!

coopolon

I think it's pretty cool they count all the games you already own though in the promo. I have all the infinity engine games, so even just one game would be 45% off.

Going to have to do some research on TOEE, Dragon Shard, and Demonstone.

Minsc

Gold Member
Carm said:

I have a pretty up-to date database in the OP of any important/bigger mods/patches/etc (generally linking to the appropriate GOG thread if need be). Checking the individual game's GOG forum works well as suggested, but for at least a few games, you'll save some time just to look at the list in the OP first. :)

As for your questions, Demon Stone supports widescreen, but via a bit of stretching, so it's not ideal. ToEE definitely benefits from fan patches and can use widescreen with a little tweaking, but isn't without bugs no matter how you play it. That said, it's often referred to as the best combat in any D&D RPG, so don't let the bugs scare you away.

Ledsen

Me and my friend both loved Demon Stone back on the PS2. It has a great art style, great animation and very competent gameplay and set pieces.

Miletius

IWD, IWD 2 and NWN: Plat are instant pickups for me. Still deciding on Demonstone and Dragonshard. I kind of heard that Dragonshard isn't very good, but the difference is something like 17.96 versus 19.99, so I might pick it up anyways.

Tokubetsu

Miletius said:
IWD, IWD 2 and NWN: Plat are instant pickups for me. Still deciding on Demonstone and Dragonshard. I kind of heard that Dragonshard isn't very good, but the difference is something like 17.96 versus 19.99, so I might pick it up anyways.

I owned Ps2 version of Demonstone (Might still have it in a closet somewhere) and I remember liking it a lot in high school...I also read all the Drizzt books so take that with a grain of salt haha. It's pretty much like those ps2 era LOTR action games though, just with more RPG elements iirc. I also felt like it was pretty difficult. It took me and a friend a couple weeks of switching off controler to get through it.

TheBothersomeMan said:
Off all the D&D games on sale which ones, if any, would still stand up today to someone who has never played them before but likes most modern RPGs?

Easily PlaneScape: Torment. If you only get one game from the sale make it that.

I know Planescape is lauded as having one of, if not, the greatest stories in gaming, but is there anything comparable to it gameplay-wise? Not something else DnD, as I've never played any of the DnD games, board or video.

I only ask because I really want to play it and see what all the fuss is about, but I'm afraid the gameplay will keep me from ever seeing it through.

Typographenia said:
I know Planescape is lauded as having one of, if not, the greatest stories in gaming, but is there anything comparable to it gameplay-wise? Not something else DnD, as I've never played any of the DnD games, board or video.

I only ask because I really want to play it and see what all the fuss is about, but I'm afraid the gameplay will keep me from ever seeing it through.
Warcraft 3? :p

It's pretty much just point-and-click with the occasional spell here and there. You can just run past most confrontations if you want to.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
TheBothersomeMan said:
Off all the D&D games on sale which ones, if any, would still stand up today to someone who has never played them before but likes most modern RPGs?
Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the best RPG of all times, period. It has like a few hundred hours of play time, and that's _real_ play time, not the cheated find-anything-time modern RPG's have. Planescape is incredibly good, too, but doesn't hold up that good in terms of graphics.
Baldur's Gate 1 is great, too, but it's a bit weaker than those two.

The Neverwinter titles are a more action-y version of BG1 and 2. They are fun, though, and you might enjoy them a lot if you are into RPG.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Bufbaf said:

Yeah. I am not familiar with GOG and i saw BG2 for 3.99 and i was going to buy it, until i noticed it was 3.99 only if i bought all the games in that list. Fuck that.

Tanolen

TheBothersomeMan said:

Planescape and Baldur's Gate 2

lordy88

Gaaaaahhhh just noticed that the Heroes Chronicles collection had a sale right before July 4th. Anyone know how much that was going for?

Tellaerin

Kandrick said:
Yeah. I am not familiar with GOG and i saw BG2 for 3.99 and i was going to buy it, until i noticed it was 3.99 only if i bought all the games in that list. Fuck that.

If you buy it by itself it's 7.99, which is still a couple of bucks off a price that's not all that steep to begin with.

If they didn't do the whole 'buy more, get a bigger discount' thing, odds are that the sale price for each title would be higher across the board to compensate. Since I usually end up picking up at least a couple of titles at the same time during these sales, and the regular prices are already pretty low to start with, I don't have a problem with it.

Minsc

Gold Member
FrontalMonk said:
Am I the only one who saw the topic title, said "D&D Classics!" and thought of the Gold Box games, only to be disappointed?

:(

Now you know! I used GOG's wording, blame them :) If the Gold Box games ever got added, it'd be a "xxxxx up today" type title.

lordy88 said:
Gaaaaahhhh just noticed that the Heroes Chronicles collection had a sale right before July 4th. Anyone know how much that was going for?

It was $9.99 marked down to $4.99 for me, but I think that's because I already owned the other titles on sale. It might have been ~$6.99 otherwise, not sure.

lordy88 said:
It was 40% off. If you bought all the Might and Magic games it was 50% off. I picked up Might and Magic 1 to 8 for the price of a lunch.

thefil

I am tempted to buy BG I + II even though I imported the Baldur's Gate complete DVD from Europe like a year ago.

<-- part of the problem

Also I still haven't been able to get into Baldur's Gate despite trying like 8 times.

<-- part of the larger problem

epmode

I'm pretty sure you need 4 games on that list if you want the full discount, and stuff you already own on GOG counts. If you can't find 4 things worth buying on that list... well, I don't believe you.

edit: Aiee, I was mistaken. Still, five or six of them are practically essential, and that nets a nice discount.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
I'm pretty sure you need 4 games on that list if you want the full discount, and stuff you already own on GOG counts. If you can't find 4 things worth buying on that list... well, I don't believe you.

edit: Aiee, I was mistaken. Still, five or six of them are practically essential, and that nets a nice discount.
yeah, not if you have four of those five games as boxed versions for years now, you know, since they are fucking OLD? :D

mclem

Bufbaf said:
yeah, not if you have four of those five games as boxed versions for years now, you know, since they are fucking OLD? :D

I have two boxed copies of Planescape.

I still just bought it on GoG.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
mclem said:
I have two boxed copies of Planescape.

I still just bought it on GoG.
And you'd consider that as a normal behaviour?

Narag

Good on GOG for giving me a discount for already owning some titles. TOEE, Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale 2 for $14 is actually less than I expected to pay when the D&D stuff went on sale again.

Polk

Bufbaf said:
And you'd consider that as a normal behaviour?
Of course.
You don't need to search for cds/dvds(I have also two copies of P:T one on 2 cds and on 4 cds both released by CDP)
(I shouldn't post drunk, I was thinking about Longest Journey :) ).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Polk said:
Of course.
You don't need to search for cds/dvds (I have also two copies of P:T one on 2 cds and on 4 cds both released by CDP).
Yeah I don't know. I have BG1, BG2 three times, PS:T and the Icewind Dales at home. Only one of them bought on GoG. I won't pay like 30 bucks for the set when I already own 80% of the games on sale, and I won't pay 12 bucks for the two games I actually want if GoG rubs it in that every other person pays way, way less then that. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure that's how many other people feel, too.

GoG could have made a few bucks from me, now they don't, and I'll buy TOEE when I find it somewhere else or on a flea market or whatever. Those deals are impulse buys, and Steam shows how to do that correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I really like GoG, and the idea behind the page, but those deal systems and prices (for really old games, regardless how good they are) are just really not that attractive to me.

Top Bottom