• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I asked this a while back before but it got ignored: are all the terminal locations going to be handled like the first one (i.e.
you have to switch between classic and current graphics to find a subtle difference in every location
)?

Spoilered it for the super sensitive.

blamite

Domino Theory said:
I asked this a while back before but it got ignored: are all the terminal locations going to be handled like the first one (i.e.
you have to switch between classic and current graphics to find a subtle difference in every location
)?

Yeah,
terminals and skulls don't show up at all in Classic mode.

Domino Theory said:
)?

The impression I get is that the answer is no. Switching is just a way to confirm that what you're seeing is a terminal. I don't think they'll be too subtle to spot in the updated graphics alone.

ncsuDuncan said:
The impression I get is that the answer is no. Switching is just a way to confirm that what you're seeing is a terminal. I don't think they'll be too subtle to spot in the updated graphics alone.
Yeah. I think Frankie said that they will be harder to find later.

DJ88

It's funny because I remember the frame rate being an issue before the release of the original Halo. Every showing of the game prior to release had major frame rate problems, but they were resolved just in time before the game came out. Hopefully the same is true with this remake. Looks like 343 is trying to stay faithful to the original a little bit too much!

ElRenoRaven

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
When will reviews start cropping up online?

Knowing Microsoft I'd bet probably pretty much the day or two before it releases at the earliest. It seems that's a common thing with them and a lot of publishers anymore to embargo reviews till right up release time.

Zeal

Banned
I will play the everliving fuck out of this. Halo will always hold a place in my heart as the game that started it all.

PsychoRaven said:
Knowing Microsoft I'd bet probably pretty much the day or two before it releases at the earliest. It seems that's a common thing with them and a lot of publishers anymore to embargo reviews till right up release time.
Bleh, you're probably right... I was hoping they'd come out earlier and put to rest the frame rate issue (or do the opposite).

Sai-kun

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
So, 6 remade maps on disk. Are they going to release more remade maps from the earlier games? I'm just not getting why they did not take all maps from the first game and simply make them online.

The multiplayer aspect of this is unnecessarily confusing. Wouldn't 343 want people to play their disk rather than have them play maps using Reach's disk?

...You can play the disc? You're just limited to the 7 maps (and presumably the 4 anniversary playlists)

GhaleonEB

Thought I'd take a moment to close loop (har) with my first take on CEA back when it was first announced, which was less than positive. So not-positive it might make you wonder why I ended up making an OT for it.

There are basically two approaches to remakes, one that preserves the original core game, and one that alters it in any number of ways to present a reimagining of the same ideas. The big, critical decision for any remake is to identify what core elements to retain, and why. When CEA was first announced, I saw a game identical to the one I've played the living crap out of for years and which I know inside and out, with a new coat of paint. I didn't see the value in updating it on that front,because for me, the interesting ways Halo has evolved over 10 years hasn't been graphically, it's been in how the gameplay has been iterated, expanded and refined (we're talkin' Campaign here).

So I lined up the list of stuff I wanted to do in it, but couldn't. I recognized the balance 343 was striking with the vision: protect the core game, because the people that would want a remake are the ones that love the core game. Don't mess with it. I respect that. Still, I had visions of me plasma overcharging and boarding Wraiths, or having physics applied to more than a few objects, or having the Xbox's tech limitations removed to blow away some of the smoke and mirrors used to hide how few enemies are on screen at once.

I saw how the game would be the same.

Since then, 343 has shown how it's going to be the same, but different. Because while I've played the crap out of the Campaign, I haven't done so with any of you guys in online co-op while hunting and activating skulls, finding terminals while basking in the new audio bath, working on a set of pretty good Achievements. And I think that's going to be something worth experiencing, something that justifies the project in a way that wasn't clear when it was announced. The game has taken on as many of the advancements the series has seen as possible while still retaining the core game experience. When I realized that, I started to warm up the game. A lot. On paper at least, I think 343 has struck exactly the right balance between update and preservation, in knowing what to hold steady and what to fiddle with. It's an impressive thing to pull off. Looking forward to seeing if they did so.

Tunavi

Banned
@Ghaleon
Agreed, When I first heard about the remake, I could have cared less, but now I'm extremely excited for it

blamite

Posted this in the Reach thread but it seems relevant to Anniversary so i'll put it here too.

The console version of Waypoint has the new Anniversary multiplayer achievements listed, as well as three new achievements for the Defiant map pack.

Don't Touch That! 25G - Defiant: Prevent the attacking team from touching the flag in a matchmaking 1-Flag CTF game

Paper Beats Rock 15 G - Defiant: Assassinate a player that just exited Armor Lock in a matchmade game

All Alone 10 G - Defiant: Be the last surviving uninfected player in a matchmade infection game

These aren't showing up in Reach or Xbox.com, so I guess they'll be added via the Anniversary disc.

blamite said:
Posted this in the Reach thread but it seems relevant to Anniversary so i'll put it here too.

The console version of Waypoint has the new Anniversary multiplayer achievements listed, as well as three new achievements for the Defiant map pack.

Don't Touch That! 25G - Defiant: Prevent the attacking team from touching the flag in a matchmaking 1-Flag CTF game

Paper Beats Rock 15 G - Defiant: Assassinate a player that just exited Armor Lock in a matchmade game

All Alone 10 G - Defiant: Be the last surviving uninfected player in a matchmade infection game

These aren't showing up in Reach or Xbox.com, so I guess they'll be added via the Anniversary disc.

So..wait, what? So it's 250+50 for Reach then? Which would be 1700? They might as well go the max and add another 50. Maybe they're saving a few points for a special last expansion to Reach or Anniversary later on, though.

FateBreaker said:
So..wait, what? So it's 250+50 for Reach then? Which would be 1700? They might as well go the max and add another 50. Maybe they're saving a few points for a special last expansion to Reach or Anniversary later on, though.

Yeah I'm thinking they are leaving 50 in case Anniversary does really well/boosts Reach's MP, they might want to do one more map pack.

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't have recording equipment or a pleasant singing voice, so you'll have to do it yourself.

Play this.

And sing this:

You might as well surrender
when you're not the host
and your latency is so bad
that you're killed the most.

Wish we had a server
instead of peer to peer.
It's enough for this restless gamer
to quit and get a beer.

And can you feel the lag tonight
in this Halo game?
It's enough for this NeoGAF poster
to bitch and complain.
or is it only me?
It's enough to make tryhards ragequit
and go play Rock Band 3.

At the rate I'm moving,
I can just assume
that the host of this Firefight match
lives upon the moon.

There's no rhyme or reason
to this roll of the dice.
When your Spartan slides around,
it's Halo on Ice™.

in this Halo game?
It's enough for this NeoGAF poster
to bitch and complain.
or is it only me?
and go play Rock Band 3.

and go play Rock Band 3.

I don't know you and you don't know me, but I feel a sudden urge to bear your children, despite this being biologically impossible.

Well played sir.

Nutter

I wonder if the guides are going to ruin the skull placements.

I hope not, as people should find out themselves. :)

Nutter said:
I wonder if the guides are going to ruin the skull placements.

I hope not, as people should find out themselves. :)
Unfortunately there will. Especially since there are achievements for it. I'm going to find them on my own and I'm going to have a lot of fun.

AH: Installation 04 flythrough Wow at that Skybox. I can't wait to drive around with a chain hog again. :)

GhaleonEB said:
Thought I'd take a moment to close loop (har) with my first take on CEA back when it was first announced, which was less than positive. So not-positive it might make you wonder why I ended up making an OT for it.

There are basically two approaches to remakes, one that preserves the original core game, and one that alters it in any number of ways to present a reimagining of the same ideas. The big, critical decision for any remake is to identify what core elements to retain, and why. When CEA was first announced, I saw a game identical to the one I've played the living crap out of for years and which I know inside and out, with a new coat of paint. I didn't see the value in updating it on that front,because for me, the interesting ways Halo has evolved over 10 years hasn't been graphically, it's been in how the gameplay has been iterated, expanded and refined (we're talkin' Campaign here).

So I lined up the list of stuff I wanted to do in it, but couldn't. I recognized the balance 343 was striking with the vision: protect the core game, because the people that would want a remake are the ones that love the core game. Don't mess with it. I respect that. Still, I had visions of me plasma overcharging and boarding Wraiths, or having physics applied to more than a few objects, or having the Xbox's tech limitations removed to blow away some of the smoke and mirrors used to hide how few enemies are on screen at once.

I saw how the game would be the same.

Since then, 343 has shown how it's going to be the same, but different. Because while I've played the crap out of the Campaign, I haven't done so with any of you guys in online co-op while hunting and activating skulls, finding terminals while basking in the new audio bath, working on a set of pretty good Achievements. And I think that's going to be something worth experiencing, something that justifies the project in a way that wasn't clear when it was announced. The game has taken on as many of the advancements the series has seen as possible while still retaining the core game experience. When I realized that, I started to warm up the game. A lot. On paper at least, I think 343 has struck exactly the right balance between update and preservation, in knowing what to hold steady and what to fiddle with. It's an impressive thing to pull off. Looking forward to seeing if they did so.
All good points in that there is a bunch of new content for fans to salivate over when it comes to Anniversary, there's an argument that can be made that 343 played it too safe for this remake. Some levels could have used a redesign: Keyes and The Library, mainly.

Dax01 said:
Some levels could have used a redesign: Keyes and The Library, mainly.
If you start touching things where do you stop?
No, I think they made the right decision. If only they had applied the same level of self-restraint when it came to some of the art decisions...

feel

Zeouterlimits said:
If you start touching things where do you stop?
No, I think they made the right decision. If only they had applied the same level of self-restraint when it came to some of the art decisions...
Superior original graphics are a touch of a button away. The most offensive part is the absense of the extremely iconic original sound effects.

Edit- Not that I disagree with you, I do wish they had recreated the original visuals with current technology instead of making almost everything look completely different in the new layer.

Dax01 said:
All good points in that there is a bunch of new content for fans to salivate over when it comes to Anniversary, there's an argument that can be made that 343 played it too safe for this remake. Some levels could have used a redesign: Keyes and The Library, mainly.

The last 4 levels could use a redesign I'd say. Two Betrayals is the best of them, but only because it's AotCR in reverse and AotCR is such a fantastic level.

I'd have liked a few things from later games to make their way in, but on the other hand the fact that the original gameplay is kept intact means I don't need to worry about it being messed up. Given certain design decisions (an example being Malfunction... what a stupid skull design), I'm sure I would have been nervous if 343i had altered things. Hell, I would be nervous even if Bungie were altering things.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Not all of it was spit polished.

Anyway, I'll stop talking shit about it and play it co-op with a friend one day.
I played enough of the PC version to be finished with the MP. online co-op is more up my street anyway.

Do you live in England and have nothing to do on Saturday? Check this out:
This Saturday, 12th November, from 7:00 – 10:30pm Halo fans are in for a treat at our Kingston store.

Come along for a Halo-themed in-store experience, surrounded by iconic artwork from the franchise, and a bank of Xbox 360 consoles loaded with the much-anticipated Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary multiplayer.

Bragging rights and huge prizes are up for grabs for gamers who prove they have what it takes to take on the Covenant – including two grand prizes of a Halo: Reach limited edition Xbox 360 console, a Kinect sensor, a copy of Halo Anniversary, an Xbox 360 Bluetooth Headset, one year’s Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and a massive 10,000 Microsoft Points.

Other swag up for grabs include Halo T-shirts and Halo Universe R/C vehicles from Zappies Limited.

There'll even be special Halo anniversary pizza to munch!

Don't miss out!

Time Saturday, November 12 · 7:00pm - 10:30pm
Location GAME Kingston Upon Thames (KT1 1TP)
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126227780819097

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
And there's the line to cross if you want to re-imagine the campaign. Much of Halo is the way it is because of launch deadlines, not planned development. Reused levels, un-usable Wraiths, and so on. Touch one, and it opens a can of worms.

Me, I'd still prefer that. I was hoping for a rejuvenation of the campaign in a way that did alter the core, the missions, the encounters, and so on to take advantage of modern tech and the benefit of hindsight. That's not the kind of remake it is, though, it's one that stays faithful to the original game.

Having accepted that fact, I'm impressed with how much they were able to cobble into the game while still retaining the core. The new visuals, new music, beefed up sound effects, terminals, skulls, online co-op...it's a pretty meaty package. Would I have preferred a bigger overhaul? Yup. But there's no telling how many people that would have alienated. I have no idea. I think it's one kind of remake done about as well as you can do it, and I've come to appreciate the approach for what it is rather than what it is not.

ElRenoRaven

aegies said:
Review embargo is Monday morning at 6AM PDT.

Ah see. I was right. Good to know though the exact day and time.

And on the subject of changes. I would have liked vehicle boarding, weapon swapping and switching weapons with Marines. Those are the only changes I would have been happy with campaign wise.

And goddamn it. You guys skimped on the manual? Really? 6 damn pages and that's it? GRRRRRRRR

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:

And goddamn it. You guys skimped on the manual? Really? 6 damn pages and that's it? GRRRRRRRR

Not exactly. The paper manual is abridged, yes.

There is... Another...

OuterWorldVoice said:

There is... Another...
...Skywalker.

I guess I spoiled the whole Star Wars story now. Am I French?

Flipyap said:
Welp. I guess I need to buy an avatar prop. Too bad it's so badly animated.
Still you would buy thousand of them if you could.

Unity2012

GhaleonEB said:
And there's the line to cross if you want to re-imagine the campaign. Much of Halo is the way it is because of launch deadlines, not planned development. Reused levels, un-usable Wraiths, and so on. Touch one, and it opens a can of worms.

Me, I'd still prefer that. I was hoping for a rejuvenation of the campaign in a way that did alter the core, the missions, the encounters, and so on to take advantage of modern tech and the benefit of hindsight. That's not the kind of remake it is, though, it's one that stays faithful to the original game.

Having accepted that fact, I'm impressed with how much they were able to cobble into the game while still retaining the core. The new visuals, new music, beefed up sound effects, terminals, skulls, online co-op...it's a pretty meaty package. Would I have preferred a bigger overhaul? Yup. But there's no telling how many people that would have alienated. I have no idea. I think it's one kind of remake done about as well as you can do it, and I've come to appreciate the approach for what it is rather than what it is not.

Great observations in your last two post Ghaleon. *Thank you again for the OP.

I too wonder where would the redesign bar stop had they start messing with what made the original so unique.

It would have stopped being Halo CE to become something else entirely. I think 343 hit the sweet spot.

I am glad a new generation of people and fans of the series--who should already hold their own good memories of Halo CE times, will be pleased and happy to revisit the campaign.

At $40 in a time, almost overwhelming with AAA titles is a great deal!

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:

There is... Another...

Paper manuals are the only manuals that matter. Those are the ones I can take into the shitter and read while doing some business transactions.

GhaleonEB said:

For me, no campaign has surpassed the original despite its flaws. Indeed I would say for years that Bungie tried to play catchup to that, and figure out what made it work, but I appreciate this is very subjective. I dismiss H2's campaign as being utter shit and a bland, badly written, disjointed experience, but I'm sure there'll be plenty out there who will think I'm out of my mind for holding such a view.

I see the many ways the original campaign and gameplay could be improved upon without destroying the brilliance of what is already there, but I have doubts on whether anyone could actually make those visions into a reality. It would require an extremely detailed understanding of what's good, and a very subtle touch. And I haven't seen the evidence that there's a developer out there that possesses that, whether that be 343i, Bungie, or someone else.

As an example, lets consider some of the revisualised areas in CEA. Obviously I'm going to have to wait until I get it to make a more complete analysis, but for all the shots that appear to be a fitting remake whilst keeping true to the spirit of the original and the architectural themes established through the franchise, there have been just as many where it doesn't seem to fit, or something is out of place. It might look great, but it doesn't fit, and more importantly it's had to be brought up by fans because the developers haven't realised that.

Letters said:
Pamphlet manual disease has reached holy Halo too? MS, am disappoint.
Preorder cancelled.

Hmm, I'm curious. Bungie always put acronyms on the game boxes. Will 343 do this as well or will they start their own tradition? Autostereograms?

Awesome job on the OT Ghal.

For those of you complaining about the manual, when is the last time you actually used an instruction manual? Honestly they are practically useless in this day and age, and if it saves trees/the environment by skimping on the manual than I am more than happy.

Top Bottom